PDA

View Full Version : Observation On College Refs

Rabbit'93
11-19-2005, 05:00 PM
Is it just me or does anybody else feel this way? For some reason I can't STAND IT - after a touchdown a college ref will run up to the player that scored and try to get him to stop celebrating. I've seen it more and more this year. Now I'm not FOR excessive and taunting celebrations (I hate those), but let the kids celebrate a little. Your supposed to be able to celebrate the score with the team (I think that's the rule), but I've seen refs break that up. I think they should sit back and if it gets excessive or they taunt...THEN throw the flag.

just my .02

lebron_fan
11-19-2005, 06:13 PM
on a side note from that...the refs completely screwed oklahoma from a win...even after 2 reviews at the end they still didnt make the right call on either of them...that was so stupid

I Bleed Red08
11-19-2005, 06:20 PM
tech won you cant blame the referees

3afan
11-19-2005, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by lebron_fan
on a side note from that...the refs completely screwed oklahoma from a win...even after 2 reviews at the end they still didnt make the right call on either of them...that was so stupid

on the TD there was not conclusive video evidence to reverse - you just could not be 100% sure, no matter which side you were for ------- so no reversal. thats how replay is supposed to work.

lebron_fan
11-19-2005, 06:51 PM
on one angle u could clearly tell henderson was down and he stretched the ball like 2 seconds later...he didnt hit the ground with the ball stretched already therefore he was short

3afan
11-19-2005, 07:06 PM
if thats the case then it would have been reversed .... out

lebron_fan
11-19-2005, 07:16 PM
or maybe the home field had something to do with it:thinking:

VAMike
11-19-2005, 07:58 PM
"Home field" ?>!?!?!?!?!?! The refs are from the Big XII not from TT.

As for breaking up the parties...that is what they are told to do by their conference supervisors who get the direction from the conference commissioners. They want the game cleaned up which is why each year there are more and more restrictions placed on the post-score parties. All the refs are doing is something we call "preventive officiating" which is far preferred to letting them foul and then having to flag.

3afan
11-19-2005, 08:03 PM
hey Mike!

Rabbit'93
11-19-2005, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by VAMike

As for breaking up the parties...that is what they are told to do by their conference supervisors who get the direction from the conference commissioners. They want the game cleaned up which is why each year there are more and more restrictions placed on the post-score parties. All the refs are doing is something we call "preventive officiating" which is far preferred to letting them foul and then having to flag.
Is everyone moving to Virginia around here?

I realize that's what they're told to do. I just don't like it very much. If I score a big TD I want to be able to celebrate with my teamates. I just think there's a better way to do it. IMO.

bullfrog_alumni_02
11-19-2005, 08:26 PM
oklahoma can go back to norman. TT won. bottom line.

VAMike
11-19-2005, 08:27 PM
The other issue is that the refs need to get the ball so the extra point can be attempted. There is not supposed to be a big delay between end of the TD play and the start of the extra point play like there is between end of extra point and kickoff. If the players were permitted, many of them would stay there in the end zone "celebrating with teammates" for way too long. What ever happened to the old advice of "act like you have been there before"? Some guys are worse than those crazy soccer players who act like they just won the lottery when they make a goal.

Astrosdawg07
11-19-2005, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93
Is it just me or does anybody else feel this way? For some reason I can't STAND IT - after a touchdown a college ref will run up to the player that scored and try to get him to stop celebrating. I've seen it more and more this year. Now I'm not FOR excessive and taunting celebrations (I hate those), but let the kids celebrate a little. Your supposed to be able to celebrate the score with the team (I think that's the rule), but I've seen refs break that up. I think they should sit back and if it gets excessive or they taunt...THEN throw the flag.

just my .02

Just happened in the USC game. Fresno State 7 USC 0 1st qtr.