PDA

View Full Version : Kennedale in the news

bleedgreen
11-19-2005, 08:24 AM
Here's the wrap up from the Star Telegram:

Late game heroics lift Kennedale

By TOBIAS XAVIER LOPEZ

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DUNCANVILLE - Kennedale sophomore kicker Logan Barrett had no playoff experience and the memory of a missed kick before halftime was fresh in his mind.

One thing Barrett did have was the confidence of his father, coach Richard Barrett.

The younger Barrett came through with a 35-yard field goal as time expired to give Kennedale a 24-21 victory in a Class 3A Division I regional playoff against Kaufman.

"I know he missed one at the end of the second half," coach Richard Barrett said. "But he's a competitor and a warrior. He said, 'Dad, I'll nail it,' and there was never any doubt. When he kicked it, I knew it was good."

Coach Barrett said that, when Kennedale (9-2) lost to Kaufman (9-2) in Week 3 of the regular season, the Wildcats didn't take advantage of Kaufman's turnovers.

The Wildcats didn't make the same mistake this time.

After a 7-7 halftime score, Kennedale's defense forced two fumbles off crunching open-field hits.

Kennedale converted both turnovers into touchdowns and took a 21-14 lead with 9:59 remaining.

After Kaufman tied the score with 1:24 remaining, Kennedale used 10 plays to drive to the Kaufman 18-yard line. On a play that started with two seconds left, Barrett booted the 35-yard field goal to send the Wildcats into a meeting against the winner between Liberty-Eylau and Carthage.

Barrett, who missed the playoffs last season because of a hip injury, said that, despite missing a 28-yard attempt at the end of the first half, he was ready when the game was on the line.

"I was thinking about [the first-half miss]," Barrett said. "But once I got out here I shook it off and kicked."

Kennedale opened the scoring on its second drive, which began with 6:52 left in the first quarter.

The Wildcats used 15 plays and converted three fourth downs before running back Mickey Norris scored from 10 yards out for the 7-0 lead. Norris finished with two touchdowns and 123 yards rushing.

A Kennedale fumble in the second quarter set Kaufman up at the Wildcats' 38-yard line, and the Lions needed only 2:16 to tie the score.

Running back Sheldon Henry picked up half of that on a 19-yard carry, and quarterback Chris Neal punched it in from 1 yard out to cap the drive with 5:39 left in the half.

KENNEDALE 24 KAUFMAN 21

[

LE FAN
11-19-2005, 12:36 PM
Liberty Eylau and Kennedale next Sat night at TMF stadium in Tyler