PDA

View Full Version : Canton 61 Gilmer 58 Final

yoemanfan98
11-18-2005, 11:54 PM
It's basketball season for the Gilmer Buckeyes.

NateDawg39
11-18-2005, 11:56 PM
Oh they werent playing tonight? HAHAHA just kidding! Good luck to them in B-Ball.

j_dog
11-18-2005, 11:56 PM
Congratulations Canton on the big victory.

And congratulations Gilmer on a good season. It just was not to be for a re-match this year.

HighSchool Fan
11-18-2005, 11:57 PM
i just have that feeling that Canton has destiny on their side. good luck next week Canton.

NateDawg39
11-18-2005, 11:59 PM
Canton is a good team. Hope they play whoever they have next at there best game ever.

fatcat255
11-19-2005, 12:00 AM
GJ KInne

18 for 34, 430 yards passing

formermbcouns
11-19-2005, 12:02 AM
wow, any defense in this game?

yoemanfan98
11-19-2005, 12:02 AM
I was hoping for a Gilmer win so the Buckeyes would end up playing the Cameron Yoemen...a rematch of the 1981 Class 3A Championship game.

By the way, Cameron won 26-3.

NateDawg39
11-19-2005, 12:03 AM
I think some people have it on the money, Canton has destiny on there side.

fatcat255
11-19-2005, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by formermbcouns
wow, any defense in this game?

sure there was!

Canton knocked down a pass in the end zone on the last play of the game:)

FootballChik98
11-19-2005, 01:34 AM
That had to be the greatest game I've ever been to. I'm so happy for these Canton boys and the great job they did tonight. They were down, but never gave up and came out victorious. Congrats to both teams on a great game. Gilmer had some very fast guys, and they really impressed me. WAY TO GO EAGLES!!

DragonEagle01
11-19-2005, 02:46 AM
Awesome game. It was the greatest game I've ever watched in person. I think every fan is emotionally and physically drained after this one. Some might say there was no defense, but the defenses did step up at crucial times in this game. Gilmer's got a great team and they should definitely be proud of what they have accomplished these past two years. There is some amazing talent and speed on that team. A big congrats to the Canton guys for coming from behind many times and eventually winning this game. It's got to be one of the greatest offensive games in Texas HS football history. It came down to the ball being batted down at the goal line as time expired. Hopefully Canton earned some respect tonight and people may now see them as a team to watch out for. Again, congrats to both teams. Terrific game Eagles...Way to Go!

This was the 3rd highest Scoring game in Texas History

Stats

Gilmer

First Downs: 32
Rush yds: 350
Pass yds: 273
Total yds: 623

Canton

First Downs: 19
Rush yds: 115
Pass yds: 430 18 for 34
Total yds: 545

G.J. Kinne Was 18-34 430 yards and 5 Td and 2 rushing Td's, Justin Huff lead the Defense with 10 tackles

3afan
11-19-2005, 05:14 AM
way to go Canton!

lostaussie
11-19-2005, 09:19 AM
ok, :( bad day at blackrock. couldn't get on here last night. basically too emotionally spent. this was an unbelievable game. no excuses. canton did what they had to do to win. referees let the kids play. there were lots of non calls, but they were on both sides. gongratulations to the eagles. don't think you are yet what it takes to win it all, but you are certainly gaining on it. as for the buckeyes this 10-2 bunch of sophs. and juniors played with all the heart and class that you could ever ask for. 19 returning starters for the buckeyes next year and we be ready. as for now this one hurts.

44INAROW
11-19-2005, 09:29 AM
Sounds like a great game. Congrats Canton. Sorry bout the loss Aussie :(

Aesculus gilmus
11-19-2005, 09:47 AM
Canton had fewer seniors on their roster than we did. So both teams will be back. I think the Daingerfield game took something out of the Buckeyes. The coach even predicted the team that played us the following week would "have a shot" as he put it.

I don't see Canton making it out of this region, but I didn't foresee them winning this game either. Good luck to the Eagles and, yes, you did deserve to win.

Bullaholic
11-19-2005, 09:59 AM
Congrats to the Eagles on a big win and in your continuing quest to bring a "winning" playoff-caliber football team to Canton.

sinton66
11-19-2005, 10:27 AM
Congrats to the Eagles, This one really impresses me.

BU97
11-19-2005, 11:09 AM
WOW, I saw the highlights and it looked like a wild one, that one must have been an awesome game to attend! Hate to hear that Gilmer lost but am glad that good things are happening for Coach Kinne.

lostaussie
11-19-2005, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by BU97
WOW, I saw the highlights and it looked like a wild one, that one must have been an awesome game to attend! Hate to hear that Gilmer lost but am glad that good things are happening for Coach Kinne. YOU CAN'T EVEN IMAGINE..........

KingRob
11-19-2005, 12:27 PM
Surprised about this outcome, but mostly because of the good things that were being said about Gilmer. Haven't heard much about Canton all year, but I guess we will now. Congrats on the win Canton, and congrats to Gilmer on another fine season. Nothing to be ashamed about. Can you imagine hearing the fight songs after each score all night long? I would probably be humming them all weekend!!

lostaussie
11-19-2005, 12:32 PM
g.j kinne is the energizer bunny. he just keeps throwing and throwing and throwing:)... gotta make myself laugh just to keep from crying. big props to the canton o-line. they kept us off of kinne all night. i really think they were the difference in the game.

DragonEagle01
11-19-2005, 12:36 PM
From Dallasnews.com

Canton - 61 Gilmer - 58
TYLER – Canton quarterback G.J. Kinne found Houston Tuminello for a 6-yard touchdown pass with :39 remaining to give Canton a Class 3A, Division II area playoff win before 7500 spectators at Trinity Mother Frances Rose Stadium. Canton (11-1) advances to the third round of playoffs for the first time where it will play Emory Raines. Gilmer (10-2) had its reign as the Class 3A Division II state champion end.
In a marathon shootout that lasted 3 hours and 21 minutes, the teams accounted for 1,169 yards of offense. Kinne had 482 total yards of offense and accounted for seven touchdowns. Tuminello had 7 receptions for 202 yards and three touchdowns.
Gilmer quarterback Jamell Kennedy accounted for 388 total yards of offense and five touchdowns, while receiver Curtis Brown had seven receptions for 186 yards and three touchdowns. Gilmer running back Justin Johnson had 179 yards rushing and a touchdown. Gilmer had a 51-41 lead with 1:06 left in the third quarter on a 12-yard touchdown run by Johnson. Canton cut the lead to 51-47 on a 25-yard touchdown pass from Kinne to Tuminello with :13 left in the third quarter. Canton's Casey Bell recovered the ensuing onside kick and Canton took the lead on a 3-yard touchdown run by Britton Smallwood, his only carry of the game with 9:46 left in the third period.
Gilmer drove to the Canton 1-yard line on its next drive, but Kennedy fumbled a snap and Kennedy recovered the fumble at the 11-yard line with 6:24 remaining. Gilmer took back the lead at 58-54 with 4:55 remaining when offensive lineman Cody Lee recovered a Kennedy fumble in the end zone.

Canton 7 15 25 14 -- 61
Gilmer 15 14 22 7 -- 58

CAN – G.J. Kinne 2 run (Chris McCarty kick)
GIL--Jamell Kennedy 16 run (Shea Harborth kick)
GIL--Curtis Brown 18 pass from Kennedy (Trumaine Finch pass from Jake Ashley)
CAN--Kinne 1 run (Jonathon Ellis pass from Kinne)
GIL--Finch 19 run (Harborth kick)
GIL--Willie Darden 19 pass from Kennedy (Harborth kick)
CAN--Houston Tuminello 63 pass from Kinne (McCarty kick)
GIL--Brown 65 pass from Kennedy (Finch run)
CAN--Pad Westmoreland 7 interception return (kick blocked)
GIL--Brown 62 pass from Kennedy (Harborth kick)
CAN--Barlow Reid 68 pass from Kinne (pass failed)
CAN--Michael Prox 69 pass from Kinne (McCarty kick)
GIL--Justin Johnson 12 run (Harborth kick)
CAN--Tuminello 25 pass from Kinne (run failed)
CAN--Britton Smallwood 3 run (McCarty kick)
GIL--Cody Lee fumble recovery in end zone (Harborth kick)
CAN--Tuminello 6 pass from Kinne (McCarty kick)

Statistic CAN GIL
First downs 20 31
Rushing yards 31-120 45-345
Passing yards 432 273
Comp-att-int 17-33-0 15-28-1
Punts-avg 4-37.0 0-0
Penalties-yards 8-55 8-54
Fumbles-lost 2-1 2-1

INDIVIDUAL LEADERS
Rushing – CAN: Barlow Reid 12-67, GJ Kinne 18-50, Britton Smallwood 1-3. GIL: Justin Johson 19-179, Jamell Kennedy 18-115, Trumaine Finch 5-45, Cortis Brown 3-6.

Passing – CAN: GJ Kinne 17-33-0-432. GIL: Jamell Kennedy 15-28-1-273.

Receiving – CAN: Houston Tuminello 7-202, Barlow Reid 6-103, Michael Prox 2-99, Johnathan Ellis 1-23, Britton Smallwood 1-5. GIL: Cortis Brown 7-186, Willie Darden 5-56, Justin Johson 2-23, Jake Ashley 1-8.

Astrosdawg07
11-19-2005, 01:09 PM
Not much defense in this one.

BeastoftheEast
11-19-2005, 04:46 PM
Did Canton turn the ball over any? I know Gilmer threw an int. that was returned for a TD and fumbled on the +5 yard line, as well as gave up an onside kick. These were the backbreakers for Gilmer.

District303aPastPlayer
11-19-2005, 04:53 PM
umm... was this a basketball game.... good lord it was like LH vs LH in this one wth that many points scored

lostaussie
11-19-2005, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by BeastoftheEast
Did Canton turn the ball over any? I know Gilmer threw an int. that was returned for a TD and fumbled on the +5 yard line, as well as gave up an onside kick. These were the backbreakers for Gilmer. i do not know that canton had any turnovers. actually, to be honest, game is like a blur. i do know that we threw a screen, down around our own 5 yd. line that bounced of recievers pads and into waiting arms of defensive lineman who walked into endzone. also gilmer was on cantons 1 yd. line going into score, and snapped the ball over qb's. head promptly pounced on, by yea, you guessed it, g.j. kinne.

Aesculus gilmus
11-19-2005, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
umm... was this a basketball game.... good lord it was like LH vs LH in this one wth that many points scored

Ironically, our coach along with the radio broadcasters had taken to calling Gilmer's offense by the name "fast-break" offense. He began his career right out of college as an assistant at Big Sandy and was the head basketball coach there.

A score like this was inevitable, seen in that context.

DragonEagle01
11-19-2005, 06:12 PM
No turnovers for Canton. There might not have been many defensive stops but the defenses stepped up at some crucial times. Some defense stats for Canton: Justin Huff #7 lead the Canton D with 10 tackles, Jonathon Ellis #5 had 9 tackles and 2 pass break ups, G.J. Kinne had 7 tackles, a Sack, and a fumble recovery; Jason McWilliams #11 had 7 tackles and a blocked FG; Patrick Williams #42 had 8 tackles and Tad Westmoreland #74 had 4 tackles and the INT for touchdown.

TOPS1435
11-19-2005, 07:21 PM
If you are really interested, you can hear the game by going to www.gilmerbuckeyes.com where there is a link to the radio broadcast. They also will sell it to you on a CD.

I was amazed by how much action there was in the fourth period. As a photographer, I was tired by the end of the 3rd period, and the players faces along the sidelines said they were to. But when the ball was snapped, but sides went after it with all they had.

I bet there is a bunch of Eagles and Buckeyes sleeping in today!!!

David Smoak will also have his broadcast of the game available if you send two cassettes.

Check Smoaky.com and you will see it there.

Hupernikomen
11-19-2005, 07:25 PM
It is amazing that no one from Gilmer gives Canton a chance after losing to them. I would love to see Canton win it all. It is good for a fresh team to make it all the way. I will cheer on Canton and Liberty Hill from here on out.

Buckeye80
11-19-2005, 07:29 PM
I really hate to do this honestly, but it will bug me if I don't say something.

First of all, the Canton Eagles' kids show tenacity and heart in continually coming from behind and ultimately defeating the Gilmer Buckeyes last night. I would have bet any amount of anything that if the Bucks scored 58, they would win. (I am curious about the last time the Buckeyes gave up that many points.) Anyway, hats off to the Eagles on one of the biggest wins in their program's history and good luck against a feisty little Rains Wildcats squad.

That being said, in my opinion, someone (obviously not a coach) needs to take these kids from Canton aside and teach them the meaning of the word "sportsmanship". I realize that these kids no doubt idolize some of the professional players like Chad Johnson and (God help us) Terrell Owens who have made a living by running their mouths on the playing field, but that still does not excuse being a bad sport. You don't tackle a kid, and then stand astride him and run your lips while he is laying on the ground. You hold out your hand and help him up, pat him on the butt, and tell him you'll see him the next time he runs to your side of the field. There is nothing wrong with that.

Look, I'm not making excuses for the Buckeyes. God knows that if you give up 61 points, in most cases you deserve a loss. All I'm saying is that in high school, you represent your town and the people in it. And the Canton players did not do a good job of that last night. You Canton players may have learned alot about yourselves and your team last night. But hopefully, y'all learned a little something about sportsmanship from my Buckeyes last night too.

Good luck Eagles, and go 2006 Buckeyes!!! (Oh yeah, and go basketball team I guess!)

lostaussie
11-19-2005, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
It is amazing that no one from Gilmer gives Canton a chance after losing to them. I would love to see Canton win it all. It is good for a fresh team to make it all the way. I will cheer on Canton and Liberty Hill from here on out. what was said to make you say that?

lostaussie
11-19-2005, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Buckeye80
I really hate to do this honestly, but it will bug me if I don't say something.

First of all, the Canton Eagles' kids show tenacity and heart in continually coming from behind and ultimately defeating the Gilmer Buckeyes last night. I would have bet any amount of anything that if the Bucks scored 58, they would win. (I am curious about the last time the Buckeyes gave up that many points.) Anyway, hats off to the Eagles on one of the biggest wins in their program's history and good luck against a feisty little Rains Wildcats squad.

That being said, in my opinion, someone (obviously not a coach) needs to take these kids from Canton aside and teach them the meaning of the word "sportsmanship". I realize that these kids no doubt idolize some of the professional players like Chad Johnson and (God help us) Terrell Owens who have made a living by running their mouths on the playing field, but that still does not excuse being a bad sport. You don't tackle a kid, and then stand astride him and run your lips while he is laying on the ground. You hold out your hand and help him up, pat him on the butt, and tell him you'll see him the next time he runs to your side of the field. There is nothing wrong with that.

Look, I'm not making excuses for the Buckeyes. God knows that if you give up 61 points, in most cases you deserve a loss. All I'm saying is that in high school, you represent your town and the people in it. And the Canton players did not do a good job of that last night. You Canton players may have learned alot about yourselves and your team last night. But hopefully, y'all learned a little something about sportsmanship from my Buckeyes last night too.

Good luck Eagles, and go 2006 Buckeyes!!! (Oh yeah, and go basketball team I guess!) every team does not always play the way we do. we have alot to be proud of by the way our kids play. personally i didn't think canton did anything that our kids didn't do.

DragonEagle01
11-19-2005, 08:00 PM
I was at the game and what I saw was both Canton and Gilmer players helping one another up and patting each other after good plays. I never saw anything that I would consider bad sportsmanship. Immediately after the game, both teams lined up to shake hands. I think both teams realized what a truly great game they had just played in. I've been to the Canton games all season, and Gilmer was the classiest team that we have played all season.

Astrosdawg07
11-19-2005, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by DragonEagle01
I was at the game and what I saw was both Canton and Gilmer players helping one another up and patting each other after good plays. I never saw anything that I would consider bad sportsmanship. Immediately after the game, both teams lined up to shake hands. I think both teams realized what a truly great game they had just played in. I've been to the Canton games all season, and Gilmer was the classiest team that we have played all season.

I'll say that about them last year in the state game also.

BeastoftheEast
11-19-2005, 10:22 PM
I wish Canton could win it all this year but they will have to play turnover free football from here on out because 2or more turnovers will do them in with a defense like theirs. If they can score 60 every week and Kinne can keep throwing like he did last night who knows they may win it all. I see the Tatum Madison winner being to D-up with them a little better and give them some problems.

lostaussie
11-19-2005, 11:17 PM
dragon eagle, thanks for the compliment. our coaching staff takes great pride in the way our kids represent themselves on the field. that being said, this is how i see the region playing out. canton spent lots of emotion on the field friday night. very hard to play the next week after such a game. (see daingerfield after beating gilmer). that being said, if you play half the game you played against us, you will take rains out. in my view the problem begins the next week. if you play tatum, i actually think you win. their defense is good but i don't think good enough to outscore canton. cantons defense is certainly good enough to stop tatum some of the time. if you play madison, different story. if canton thinks gilmer was fast, then madison is fast X 1.5. you will be in another shootout. not saying you can't win it, just thats a very hard way to have to play. good luck, i'll be pulling for ya'll. lots of heart and maybe destiny on that team.

TOPS1435
11-20-2005, 03:12 PM
(I am curious about the last time the Buckeyes gave up that many points.)

Gilmer gave up 61 points in a game against Winnsboro in 1944. Final score 61-6 Winnsboro loss.

This writer was at a playoff game in 1955 in the same Tyler Rose Stadium when Gilmer lost 55-6 to Terrell.

Both quarterbacks later coached the Buckeyes. The Gilmer quarterback, Russell Green, had the misfortune to coach the Buckeyes when they were 3A (= today's 4A) in the 1970s and Gilmer lost to Mount Pleasant 72-0, our worst defeat since records have been kept in 1914. The Terrell quarterback, Tommy Waggoner, coached Gilmer to its state finals finish in 1981 and never coached again.

None of those games hold a candle to Friday night's match. Only the game with Jasper, 49-47, last year, and the semi-final win over Tatum, 65-35, which set total yardage records for Homer Bryce Stadium are in the same breath, or should I say take your breath category.

(I am curious about the last time the Buckeyes gave up that many points.)

Astrosdawg07
11-20-2005, 03:14 PM
Nice...

FootballChik98
11-20-2005, 07:58 PM
Was a great Game by both.

DragonEagle01
11-20-2005, 08:01 PM
No problem Aussie, Was a good game dont want it to get talked about any other way. Hopefully we can keep the Eagles going Got Rains this week.

hoosierdaddy
11-21-2005, 12:25 PM
Congrats to the Eagles!!! I might have to make my way to Mesquite for the game with Rains Friday. Keep it rollin' mean green !!!!!!