PDA

View Full Version : Friday Night Lights

DRuMLiNeSPYKe2004
01-31-2003, 07:13 PM
So my WONDERFUL English teacher *she really is pretty cool* decided that she would assign us to read the book Friday Night Lights about the 1988 Odessa Permian HS football team. I know a lot of people on here are West Texans and I know that football is real important... What are your thoughts West Texans and what are your thoughts 3A Downlow?

Keith7
01-31-2003, 09:21 PM
I'm not from west texas but did a book report on this, and its a really really good book and does a great depiction of texas highschool football (alot better then Varsity Blues).. but it really is a good book, although the ending is kinda disappointing

DRuMLiNeSPYKe2004
01-31-2003, 10:15 PM
shhhhhh about the end, i'm not even close. i'm kinda towards the middle. my english teacher said that varsity blues came out because they were doing the fnl movie but it came out first and fnl lost their backers for money... one of the guys supposedly lives in bandera somewhere.

but do you 3ADL think that its accurate, or fair, or true? not just about MoJo but maybe in your own communities?

Jacket2000
01-31-2003, 10:41 PM
It's a great book with some factual information. But, at best, it's an overdramatization. Or, as many residents of Midland and Odessa call it, "a great work of fiction". Either way, it's very entertaining. When you're done, I recomend The Junction Boys(book is much better than the move) and my fav, although it's not very well known, Play it From the Heart by Neal Morgan.
J2K

Bellville22
02-01-2003, 12:55 AM
That teacher that assigned that book has to be the greatest teacher on the planet.

INOUNVME
02-01-2003, 09:58 PM
Glad to hear that "the book" is still being read by those that love Texas high school football. I was a part of the Permian tradition just prior Bissenger coming in town. Coach Gaines is a great man and knew that this book might cause some problems if not written exactly right. That is just what happened. My advice to all readers, don't believe everything you read. Is some of the book acurate? Of course it is. Is some of false? YES. Too many of the side-stories with the book are only half truths. All in all, good book, but hurt many people (kids) in the process. Have an update on all players and coaches that shows just how succesful they have been.

Brahma73
02-01-2003, 10:53 PM
You're right J2K. Friday Night Lights is at very least entertaining, just don't take all of it too seriously. Ditto on the Junction Boys Book. Much more believable.

DRuMLiNeSPYKe2004
02-02-2003, 08:52 PM
Yeah Mrs. Stone is pretty cool I guess. LOL I know she reads on here too, as do a lot of people. Anyways, yeah I kinda agree that yes it IS based on a LOT of opinion, but in a way I can see how a lot of it could be true. One of the players in the book supposedly lives somewhere around Bandera, so who knows? Maybe he'll come speak with us or something... I'll read the Junction Boys, though, because I did see the movie on ESPN and it was kinda interesting but MAN that would suck!!!