PDA

View Full Version : Wow that didn't take long

Bubba-Joe
11-18-2005, 10:21 AM
Borger coach Shores resigns

By Roger Clarkson
roger.clarkson@amarillo.com

Craig Shores: Coach finishes with 41-32 mark at Borger.

After seven years at the helm of the Borger Bulldogs, head football coach Craig Shores has announced his resignation.

It was official on Monday, and is effective immediately. He has been reassigned within the system.

"It's just time for a change here," Shores said. "There are several reasons. Some of them are personal. There is never more pressure on a coach than what he puts on himself. We set high expectations as a coaching staff and when you don't live up to those expectations, it's tough.

"There are some things you can control and some things you can't. There comes a time in your career when you know it's time to move on. You have to make a change and this is the best thing for the kids and the system and my family."

Shores compiled a 6-4 record this season and advanced to the playoffs for the fourth straight season. Borger lost to Littlefield 42-14 on Saturday in the Class 3A bidistrict playoffs, the third straight season Borger has lost in the first round. Since dropping into Class 3A in 2002, Borger is 1-4 in the playoffs and has been outscored 131-70.

Borger has been plagued by injuries since dropping into Class 3A. It has not had a quarterback finish a season since 2002. On Saturday, Borger had 13 positions out of the playoff game because of injury, including Shores' son Brant, who will be a senior linebacker next season.

"I have a lot more gray hair now than I did when I got here," Shores said. "Injuries are part of it, whether it's one at a time or in droves."

Shores was head coach at River Road for nine seasons before taking over at Borger in 1999.

He finishes his Bulldog career with a 41-32 record and is 106-75 overall in 16 seasons.

Shores said he will pursue other head coaching opportunities.

Da Mules
11-18-2005, 10:56 AM
they haven't had much success at Borger.. and a whole lot of bad luck...but after six years it's time to flip the pancake

Bubba-Joe
11-18-2005, 11:00 AM
Tough deal with that many injured and still make the playoffs

Bad Karma I guess

Da Mules
11-18-2005, 12:56 PM
Last couple of years, part of the playoff problem up here is the 5- and 6-team districts. If you've got a couple of small schools with programs that are currently on the down-slide in your district, you're in the playoffs real easy; prbably too easily.
2-3a is a pretty good example of that, Cooper, Littlefield, Muleshoe, Levelland, Brownfield. (expecting better things from Levelland however)
and 1-3a with Perryton, Canyon, Borger, River Road, and Dalhart is another. No offense meant to any schools but with the current setup, for the top 3 it's almost a set of byes to play the Road and Dalhart.