PDA

View Full Version : Football for next year

Dave-O
02-25-2003, 10:58 AM
So how does everyone see next years football season lining up? Who is your top 12, and why? i only now my top 5. I also can't wait till next preseason games. Can't wait to match up with marlin again.

Burnet
Everman
Bandera
Forney
MArlin

marlin fan
02-25-2003, 01:51 PM
1.Marlin- they play very very good My favorite Team(my School)
2.Cameron- they play pretty good
3.Burnet- they play good and i have a lot of respect for them
4.Bandera-They Play good
5Everman- i like the people there
6Bellville- they play verry well and they gave us a good game and i have Respect for them

That's all i can think of right now

<small>[ February 25, 2003, 12:57 PM: Message edited by: marlin fan ]</small>

Jimbotex40
02-26-2003, 01:25 AM
just because you respect a team doesnt mean theyll be a top 5 team next year....i respected commerce this year and they lost in the second round.

mine are in alphabetical order:

Carthage-(*upset special*) very young team
Everman-(powerhouse)
Forney-(almost a powerhouse) one more great year
Sinton-(powerhouse)
Celina-(d2 favorite)

vet93
02-26-2003, 10:05 AM
Ya'll may be leaving out Greenwood. Lots of starters returning from last year (7 and 8) including the qb who does everything and a tailback who had something like 1600+ yards rushing.

BigChamp05
02-26-2003, 11:24 AM
1. Burnet
2. Greenwood
3. Altair Rice
4. Sinton
5. Forney

RBARKER
02-26-2003, 11:53 AM
what the heck I'll throw in my top ten.

1.) Everman (Still #1 unless proved other wise)
2.) Forney (Forney gets over the hump (Everman))
3.) Greenwood (Returning a ton)
4.) Marlin (Has the talent)
5.) Sinton (Bounces back after an early exit)
6.) Dangerfield (Looks to be regaining tradition)
7.) Burnet (Still a force to be reconed with)
8.) Jasper (more aware that 3A is not easy)
9.) Bandera (Was it a fluke? I think not)
10.)Bellville (I exspect another strong season)

Oh yeah and my beloved BH Eagles @ # 20. :D

topdawg
02-26-2003, 12:12 PM
1.burnet
2.forney
3.everman
4.greenwood
5.marlin
6.jasper
7.daingerfield
8.sinton
9.celina
10.bellville

MASH4077
02-26-2003, 12:13 PM
Dont forget the Decatur Eagles who have 6-6 returning from a 12-1 team,including a quarteback with 3000 yds 25 tds running back with 1300 yds and reciever 48 cathes 950 yds 12 tds.

Matthew328
02-26-2003, 12:35 PM
Guys don't worry about Everman! They are gonna be down next year! :p

Seriously they'll be young at a lot of spots...but they have some really good young talent that is as good or better than the 2 senior classes that just left..

Chris Hart
02-26-2003, 02:18 PM
Well here is my top 10.

1) Everman- Playoff time, ready to defend
2) Burnet- If a RB is ready, they should contend
3) Forney- Hanie back to lead experienced team
4) Jasper- they always have alot of athletes
5) Sinton- luxury of a great coaching staff
6) Bridge City- good sub-varsity programs
7) Bellville- alot of talent coming back
8) Greenwood- see Bellville
9) Marlin- great athletes for such a small school
10) Commerce- great coach in Cron, they rebound

Sleepers- LaGrange, Newton, Rice,Carthage, Decatur and Daingerfield.

rholl
02-26-2003, 02:34 PM
1.Everman (till proven otherwise) they must replace several leaders who were warriors.
2.Burnet they have a few holes...but they also return some serious talent.
3. Forney can't leave them out, just my opinion but I think Everman is all that stood between them and back to back championships the past 2 yrs.
I think the rest are a toss up to round out a top ten..Sinton, Jasper, and a couple of darkhorses that will appear as year wears on.

<small>[ February 26, 2003, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: rholl ]</small>

jason
02-26-2003, 07:21 PM
1.Everman
2.Forney
2.Burnet
3.Sinton

mustang04
02-26-2003, 08:39 PM
SWEETWATER!!!!! guys c'mon theres hope dont think im stupid but i have to have faith, but yeah all those other teams will do good as usual

wildstangs
02-26-2003, 08:47 PM
1. Everman - I dont care what they have lost, they are still number one until proven otherwise.

2. Burnet - Jordan Shipley is awesome. Have several young players coming back from a state runner up team. They are counting the days in Burnet.

3. Forney - Got a good Tradition going. In my opinion, they were the second best team in the state this last year.

4. Sweetwater - Gotta have faith in my boys back home. Lost a few key players, but I expect them to reload.

5. Greenwood - Have some great athletes coming back. Sweetwater is gonna get them this time though!

Other teams: Decatur, Abilene Wylie, Canyon, Commerce, and Carthage.

Jimbotex40
02-26-2003, 10:03 PM
guys, who is yall's upset special team?

ive already said mine is carthage, and only one other person has acknowledged them besides me.

region 2 D1 will either be forney or carthage...but hopefully forney can beat 'em

mustang04
02-26-2003, 11:28 PM
can anybody tell me about canyons football program.....i know their basketball is awesome especially girls, but i dont ever hear much about their football, could someone enlighten me?

Jacket2000
02-27-2003, 12:08 AM
My thoughts on next season in no particular order:
It's an odd numbered year, so that means Daingerfield and Commerce should switch places.
I think Bandera is a one-hit wonder.
Everman will contend, at least.
Celina will be loaded(imagine that)
I think Pilot Point takes a step or two up
Sinton falls quite a bit(sorry y'all)
La Grange makes a return to the finals
Jasper falls quite a bit as well,
As does Kennedale
Forney should make another long run
West Texas should make a mark this year(Ballinger possibly?)
Bridgeport probably misses the playoffs(sorry Slpy)
Decatur was a fluke, Im affraid
Sweetwater has a rebuilding year
Longview Spring Hill could really turn some heads
Greenwood should be back
Region IV gets a new king(Im thinking Sweeny or Mathis)
Graham finally gets passed the first round

My suprise picks:
Region I-Lamesa
Region II-Rusk
Region III-Cleveland
Region IV-Gonzales

J2K

MASH4077
02-27-2003, 12:26 AM
explain why Decatur was a fluke?

Jacket2000
02-27-2003, 01:56 AM
Easy, they had a very good season last year, but this year I dont think they will. Thus, making last season a fluke. But, I can already tell you are from Decatur, therefore making it impossible for you to be even the least bit objective(I remember the Decatur posters very well).
J2K

Showtime33
02-27-2003, 05:45 AM
Longview Sprinhill will be a team to keep your eyes on. They have one of the best QB's in 3A and a very explosive offense. I think they will be the team to beat in Division 2.

sinfan75
02-27-2003, 06:07 AM
No way Sinton should be in the top 10.When you lose your entire offensive backfield and most of your offensive line and almost the entire defense,your gonna have a down year.Sinton is a year or two away from being considered a contender.I think Burnet will be the D1 favorite and Midland Greenwood or Celina in D2.

sinton66
02-27-2003, 07:36 AM
I agree, Sinfan75, and no apologies are necessary Jacket. Sinton's bound to be down a lot. Way too much talent and speed graduating. Underclass program is solid, but Sinton will be very young this next season.

Green Ranger
02-27-2003, 08:47 AM
West Texas did make a mark this past year, I believe Greenwood getting to the State Final is a fairly big mark. Returning alot of starters, especially the QB who does about everything, I would look for them to make another run. Crane, made it to the play-offs last year and gave the Greenwood Rangers a good fight. I do not know how many they have returning but I am sure they are probably thirsty for more. As far as Daingerfield are concerned, They were very big and fast and a very good ball club. My question is however what ended up happening in regards to the situation at the end of their last game if they were or are going to get in trouble for the on the field actions of a few?

Ranger Mom
02-27-2003, 09:47 AM
Green Ranger:
As far as Daingerfield are concerned, They were very big and fast and a very good ball club. My question is however what ended up happening in regards to the situation at the end of their last game if they were or are going to get in trouble for the on the field actions of a few?From what I have heard (from a Daingerfield parent), there were 7 or 8 kids involved in that ruccus. Those boys (who weren't seniors) were given a 3 game suspension in the regular season for 2003, all were given some type of punsishment, running, etc. by the coaches.
At the championship game I parked by a carful of Daingerfield fans who came to watch Greenwood play and they told me what they knew.

wildstangs
02-27-2003, 09:10 PM
Jacket2000:
My thoughts on next season in no particular order:
It's an odd numbered year, so that means Daingerfield and Commerce should switch places.
I think Bandera is a one-hit wonder.
Everman will contend, at least.
Celina will be loaded(imagine that)
I think Pilot Point takes a step or two up
Sinton falls quite a bit(sorry y'all)
La Grange makes a return to the finals
Jasper falls quite a bit as well,
As does Kennedale
Forney should make another long run
West Texas should make a mark this year(Ballinger possibly?)
Bridgeport probably misses the playoffs(sorry Slpy)
Decatur was a fluke, Im affraid
Sweetwater has a rebuilding year
Longview Spring Hill could really turn some heads
Greenwood should be back
Region IV gets a new king(Im thinking Sweeny or Mathis)
Graham finally gets passed the first round

My suprise picks:
Region I-Lamesa
Region II-Rusk
Region III-Cleveland
Region IV-Gonzales

J2KGraham gets past the first round?!?!? Believe it when I see it!! :)

And Lamesa as a darhorse...didnt you learn your lesson last season? :)

<small>[ February 27, 2003, 08:10 PM: Message edited by: wildstangs ]</small>

vet93
02-27-2003, 10:56 PM
This is Region I stuff...Jacket...I may have to disagree with you concerning Decatur (As you know I am not a decatur homer!). I think that they will challenge for the region I title if they stay in DII. If they should some how go to DI...Everman...need I say more. Everyone seems to be down on Kennedale...I know that they lost some linemen, that big tight end and a good running back but they are returning Barrett at quarterback and their leading rusher at tailback. They run the wing T as well as I have seen anyone run it lately. They may not beat Everman again this year, but I think that they will be better than some people believe. Ballinger returns 7/8 including qb and running back who accounted for most of the offense. However, they lose some quality linemen (the heart of any football team) and depth is always a question in a school that is currently running 2A numbers. Greenwood will be back...Sweetwater will be stronger than many believe, but I think that they may take their lumps at the beginning of the year (strong schedule). Wylie rebuilds as usual and Snyder may be better than last year.

Jimbotex40
02-27-2003, 10:57 PM
showtime, just because someone beats little winky dinky crandall doesnt mean that they are good...i admit, springhill is good, but not cuz they beat yall's team.

Keith7
02-27-2003, 11:16 PM
Gainesville has nearly thier entire offense returning, 10-0 J.V. and 8-2 Freshmen teams with more size then this years varsity squad, a defensive cordinator taking the helm that allowed only 102 points in 12 games and 4 shutouts, the team is still stacked with talent.. why arnt they getting any consideration??

spaniard
02-27-2003, 11:49 PM
hey jacket, just curious what your thoughts on burnets chances this coming year are. i feel the way chris does when he says if we get a rb in that will wreak havoc, we will be looking for another appearance. just wondering what your thoughts were. and keith, the answer to your question is probly that no one wants to listen to you brag if we give you a little bit of recognition for anything :D hehe, just a little fun

PPHSfan
02-28-2003, 11:00 AM
Keith7:
Gainesville has nearly thier entire offense returning, 10-0 J.V. and 8-2 Freshmen teams with more size then this years varsity squad, a defensive cordinator taking the helm that allowed only 102 points in 12 games and 4 shutouts, the team is still stacked with talent.. why arnt they getting any consideration??.
Because they play in district 9 :D

Showtime33
02-28-2003, 02:32 PM
Hey JIMBO, I am not saying that Longview SH will be good just because they beat Crandall, I am saying that because they are a good team. Have you ever seen them play? Do you know how many players they are returning? I bet the answer is no. Just because I cheer for Crandall, that doesnt mean that is the only team I keep up with. Just wait until next season and you will see what I am talking about.

Keith7
02-28-2003, 04:00 PM
PPHSfan:

Keith7:
Gainesville has nearly thier entire offense returning, 10-0 J.V. and 8-2 Freshmen teams with more size then this years varsity squad, a defensive cordinator taking the helm that allowed only 102 points in 12 games and 4 shutouts, the team is still stacked with talent.. why arnt they getting any consideration??.
Because they play in district 9 :D We beat pilot point on all levels of football this year, why are they going to take a step up but not Gainesville?

o'cowboy
02-28-2003, 05:00 PM
Altair Rice has to be in the top ten, (but only one has mentioned them) they HAD ONLY 5 SRS. on last years squad that lost by just a couple of points to Bandera in a high scoring playoff game. The team is loaded with speed and quickness and should be explosive on offence.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
02-28-2003, 08:03 PM
o'cowboy:
Altair Rice has to be in the top ten, (but only one has mentioned them) they HAD ONLY 5 SRS. on last years squad that lost by just a couple of points to Bandera in a high scoring playoff game. The team is loaded with speed and quickness and should be explosive on offence.I wouldn't worry about it. Region 4 hardly gets any respect with exception to Burnet and Sinton. I was at that game between Rice and Bandera, and I was very impressed with Rice's speed. The lack of size kinda hurt Rice, though, but I still think Rice will be very impressive next season.

But the same thing that's happening in Rice is also happening in Port Isabel. They are graduating only 7 seniors, and return major speed, experience, and a big time chip on their shoulder. But i'm not worried that no one mentioned Port Isabel, we're quite used to it actually. Makes it that much more fun when we come out of nowhere and.......you get the picture. It happened to Aransas Pass last season,......ask the Sinton area people around here, they'll attest.

Have you ever seen how a Great White Shark attacks its prey? Or how alligators lie undetected in the water before they attack their prey? Keep bringing the disrespect y'all........us Port Isabel Tarpons LOVE that stuff.

Bandera YaYa
03-02-2003, 01:36 AM
Yeah, being disrespected worked WONDERS for us! Yeah, call us a "ONE TIME WONDER" if you must. We still have that beautiful State Champ trophy in our case at school..it's a WONDERful sight!!!!! We may not win it again next year, but who knows...or cares? No one thought we would win it this year!! By the way, we think we have an awesome baseball team...just won the championship game tonight at the Luling tourney...anyone put us in the top lists for baseball??? Oh, I'm sure not...

big daddy russ
03-03-2003, 03:28 AM
Mad props, Jacket. Nice post. Although I personally think Decatur will make it and that R4 will be ruled by Burnet, Rice Consolidated and Port I... I have to say that was one ballsy post and one that I could definitely agree with. I gotta give you a hand on that one. You sound like a man who knows what he's talking about.

Jimbotex40
03-03-2003, 04:50 PM
showtime: why did you say ill see next year? we wont play longview springhill, they usually go div 2.

if you were saying that ill see when we play crandall next year.....hahahahahaha....you couldnt have meant to say that. we whoop yall year in and year out (excluding 1998).

each year, yalls ignorant players say that they will beat us next year, but its never happened since ive been in HS, and it proly never will happen again.

Showtime33
03-03-2003, 05:58 PM
Listen Jimmy, I was saying that you will see when Springhill does good next year. Teams do not have to play Forney in order to prove they are a good team. And what is your deal with Crandall? Why do you got to keep bringing them up? Yeah Crandall may not beat Forney next year but you never know. You also say that Crandall players are ignorant? Well then if that is the case then you would fit in good with them. I admit that Forney will be good but I think they will need some people to step up on the o-line and on defense. Baylen is a good runner but unlike Blanton, he needs good blocking. But if I were Forney I would look past Crandall, they are returning a lot of players and they have a QB that can run the triple option real well. Should be another playoff season for Crandall because unlike Forney, Crandall makes the playoffs in EVERY sport. :cool:

Chief Woodman
03-03-2003, 06:23 PM
Decatur a fluke? Jacket- time will tell. The only fluke about last years season was a broken ankle the Sophmore QB played with during the Sweetwater game, which was close anyway. It took away the 45% of the playbook that meade them so unpredictible and so hard to defend, thus giving an advantage to Sweetwater. (Not knocking Sweetwater, they were very good and the most class act I saw, GREAT sportsmanship)Dane is just now out of the cast, and things look strong. As I said, time will tell. Let #5 work his magic, and keep the train (RB McKinney)running!

Jimbotex40
03-03-2003, 06:42 PM
listen cody trailer!! (lol) i think thats who you are. Yall better make the playoffs in our district, there are only two good teams, and yall are the only decent team. the rest are rather plum. in bball, however we had one of the toughest districts in the state, its just that none of the teams could get anywhere in the playoffs.

coach tx
03-03-2003, 07:20 PM
So What bout Luling Eagles they got one of the best back coming back this year.When he got hurt they went down last year. They should be a team in the top 10 this year. Steen is the boy last name he lead central texas for the first 4 games of the season. think about them eagles

Jimbotex40
03-03-2003, 07:23 PM
ive never heard of luling, have they made any playoff runs in the 90's or more recently?

Jimbotex40
03-03-2003, 07:34 PM
coach tx, since youre a new poster, i started you out with a 5 rating, just so you can start out on a positive note. also, because ive never heard of luling, and it sounds intruiging to me, where is it anyways?

Billy Boy
03-03-2003, 09:22 PM
Luling about 20 miles from San Marcos. :cool:

big daddy russ
03-04-2003, 02:12 AM
coach tx:
So What bout Luling Eagles they got one of the best back coming back this year.When he got hurt they went down last year. They should be a team in the top 10 this year. Steen is the boy last name he lead central texas for the first 4 games of the season. think about them eaglesLuling comes out of a tough district, and just to make the playoffs out of 27-3A will be something. You had a good team this past year, but I think ranking them in the top 10 would be a stretch.

<small>[ March 04, 2003, 01:15 AM: Message edited by: big daddy russ ]</small>

sinfan75
03-04-2003, 06:08 AM
The teams I think will represent region 4 as champs will be Burnet and Altair Rice.

cunbed10
03-04-2003, 02:29 PM
With the Pre-season schedule that the Marlin Bulldogs have, barring injury and everyone stays on top of their classroom studies, the playoff run will surprise alot of folks including some Marlin Fans that thinks that Malone is the reason the MARLIN BULLDOGS HAVEN'T WON A STATE TITLE. This is by far the best coach Marlin has had in the past 20years, Coach Redd who is no longer in Marlin in one of those Coaches you run across once in a lifetime he is in Jacksonville now and if we could get him back to Marlin, Coach Malone, this would make your job to the state game alot easier.

Old Cardinal
03-04-2003, 03:24 PM
To Chris Hart: I think your picks might be VERY accurate, at the end of the season-starting the post season play....A couple of sleepers are Liberty(loaded) and Cleveland(loaded), also with superior Coaching talent. Chris, you seem to be able to "winnow" very well...I laughed at some of the others picks-the typical early flash-in-the-pan teams that don't develop the depth to weather the storms of post-season injury and have no post-season on-field savvy. Newton will be extra tough for the first 2/3rds of the season, but unless very lucky his year, will be hobbled enough to not climb to the top of Div. II bracketing.

etcoach
03-07-2003, 10:43 PM
Showtime,
I agree that Springhill will have a very good offense next year. But unless they come up with several move-ins, or a miracle on defense, they will not contend for the regional championship. They lose all but two starters and they weren't championship material on defense this year. This comes from their own coaching staff.

sntnpirate1316
03-09-2003, 01:17 AM
im pretty sure Sinton will take district and make it to the same round and get kicked out then

big daddy russ
03-09-2003, 06:32 AM
sntnpirate1316... Sinton is tops in 30-3A until proven otherwise. You guys have a hell of a team and will probably make another run at a Regional Title this season. I've heard that this will be a bit of a down year (and imagine that... you're still the favorites in District 30), but that the classes after that are just loaded top to bottom. Care to fill me in a little?

District303aPastPlayer
03-10-2003, 02:40 AM
Sinton is losing almost everyone from a senior laden team. Travis Franco and Arturo Najera should be the goto back this year. Look for Ramirez to make a strong 2 or 3 years as QB.

I know this will sound shocking to the CC area, but look for Taft to have a strong showing. WIth their 1st group of peewee leaguers coming up, they should win about 3-5 games, and maybe start a trend for a couple of years.

Then again, i may be wrong.

sinton66
03-10-2003, 07:02 AM
I'm hearing that also. Taft will surprize some folks over the next couple of years. This was the first year for a new coach at Taft, and when he gets another year under his belt, they should be pretty good. I look for Ingleside to begin stepping up also. I honestly think before it's all said and done, 30-3A is headed toward being one of the toughest and most competative districts in the state. Just look at the last few years, even the #2 and # 3 teams in this district made a couple of rounds in the playoffs.

Jimbotex40
03-10-2003, 06:00 PM
who did sinton lose to this year, and who do you think they will lose to next year?

District303aPastPlayer
03-11-2003, 12:41 AM
If memory serves, they lost in the regional final in San Marcos, and that was their only loss. Sinton had one of those teams who's talent comes along once in a while. It was a real shame that they took an early exit this year.

Everman01Grad.
03-12-2003, 02:40 AM
EVERMAN VS. BURNET IN CHAMPIONSHIP....Why? Because EVERMAN is 1st until proven otherwise and remember we did lose good players the year before this one.Nothing New for us. Burnet is the only team that is going to show otherwise WHY? Cause they are the closest thing to being Champions. GOOD LUCK TO BOTH BULLDOGS NEXT YEAR!!!

Dave-O
03-12-2003, 09:39 PM
Sinton lost to Burnet in San Marcos. It was a dang fine game. One of our close aside from the Marlin game. I Like chili Dogs!

ayoing3
03-13-2003, 12:50 AM
Forney will be back on top they just need a few sophmores to step it up on defense, we also have a new quarterback who started at Plano and from everything i've heard he's really good and HAnie will probably have his work cut out for him, but i see Hanie starting in the end because he is an animal , and Chance will just have to start on defense.

ayoing3
03-13-2003, 12:51 AM
Forney will be back on top they just need a few sophmores to step it up on defense, we also have a new quarterback who started at Plano and from everything i've heard he's really good and HAnie will probably have his work cut out for him, but i see Hanie starting in the end because he is an animal , and Chance will just have to start on defense.

personalfoul55
03-13-2003, 02:02 AM
Bellville has a huge chance at becoming state champs this coming year. Many starters are returning and the young ones are stepping up. We'll see how it goes. Watch out. We Ready!!!

Old Cardinal
03-13-2003, 08:50 PM
Look for Liberty to be tough this year. Bridge City will be vunerable early in the year, while they train replacements to enter Post season. They have always whalloped Liberty, but next season will be Liberty's chance to put it on them early, since they have a seasoned playoff squard of capable returnees. I pick Liberty to take Bellville in Div. II, this upcoming season.

exbccards76'smom
03-14-2003, 09:43 AM
hey Old Cardinal

What's our chances for post season play? Just curious for an opinion. wink wink

Old Cardinal
03-14-2003, 03:07 PM
BRIDGE CITY: I think next season will be a rough year for at least 7 games! They could lose all three of the preseason games. They will ALWAYS make the playoffs. I have confidence that Coach Tarver with his "train'em all for bracket play" philosophy-will put a stout post season squad on the field. They will be young, bigger, extra-skilled, but lacking in playoff savvy! They will be more apt to make mistakes! With a little luck, thay might go their customary 3 round average in the playoffs, I don't think they will go any further than that....I watched him play 30 kids throughtout the game against a pretty good Barbers Hill team. Even rotating in a host of players they totally shut that offense down. Fact is, they dominated so much in the whole last quarter,our total offensive JV, brought up in the post season was pushing BH backwards. They could have easily scored, but what sportsmanship, they downed the knee. I want make any giant claims for next season; but watch out for the next two years, they will definately be contenders in 3A.