PDA

View Full Version : Southlake Carroll's Dodge to SMU

mwynn05
11-18-2005, 12:44 AM
JUST A RUMOR
It is almost a done deal...Todd Dodge will be leaving Southlake to take over the coaching reigns at SMU. This has been in the works for about 6 weeks, and I cant go into how I know, but SMU will make an offer to Dodge soon after the SMU season officially ends. They are going to pay big time for a HS coach with no College Head Coaching experience. The only thing that may hold this up is that Dodge's kid is poised to take over the QB position next year at Southlake.
This will be a big signing for SMU...they will have a pipeline from Southlake, they will run the spread offense, and have a shot of momentum as son as Dodge hits the ground.
From the gomeangreen.com message board..the unt fan site

KTJ
11-18-2005, 12:55 AM
I'm going to check it out because the rumor mill has also stated that Dodge can have a job at UT anytime he wants it.

(He's a former player for those who are wondering.)

mwynn05
11-18-2005, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
I'm going to check it out because the rumor mill has also stated that Dodge can have a job at UT anytime he wants it.

(He's a former player for those who are wondering.) What else does he have to accomplish at SLC and his son can finish school at carroll if he take the smu job...OR go to highland park...

Adidas410s
11-18-2005, 01:13 AM
I seem to remember this same scenario occuring about 5 years ago with Art Briles going from Stepehnville to Tech and now as the HC at Houston. It was a great move and while yes Houston gets A LOT of Stephenville players...it just goes to show that even the best high school teams don't have the talent to compete in Div 1 football...just to further put to rest the could Southlake beat SMU discussion. Now at least we can say, "nope because the SMU coach IS the SLC coach!" ;)

Txbroadcaster
11-18-2005, 01:27 AM
If it happens it would be another reach for SMU. They have a 3-6 record with a win over TCU and many close loses. They are very close to making that turn into a respectable program.

To make a change now would be starting over. Not saying Dodge would not be a great HC at a D-1..but SMU needs to realize what Bennett has doen there. He finally has his players in the system and SMU id becoming a competitve team.

They only have two blow out losses... The others by5, 3, 7, 7.

To re tool now would be starting all over and putting the program back a step AGAIN.

I think SMU gives Bennett one more year

3afan
11-18-2005, 06:59 AM
good for SMU ... but his current gig sure would be hard to walk away from but you cant blame him for 10-20X the $

injuredinmelee
11-18-2005, 07:42 AM
Nope.

Macarthur
11-18-2005, 10:01 AM
Obviously, he's a great coach, but Bennett has done a really good job at SMU. He's very close to having that program respectable, and that's saying something. I can understand why they would do it, but it would be a real slap in the face to Bennett.

BlueBlood
11-18-2005, 10:04 AM
I heard that Old Cardinal was getting the job at SMU.

injuredinmelee
11-18-2005, 10:10 AM
I heard that Borquin from Mineral Wells was getting it. Thats what Adidas hopes for anyhow.

HighSchool Fan
11-18-2005, 10:29 AM
ok, i'll be the first to ask it, Who has the better recruiting department, SMU or SLC? :D

sportsdog
11-18-2005, 10:39 AM
I remember Todd Dodge when he went to WOS as a young kid.
See Old Card there are some good people in WO.

whtfbplaya
11-18-2005, 11:11 AM
I am sure someone has the facts, but I don't think slc has had many dI players in the last few years. I was on the field last week with them and all they have are alot of average to below average size white boys. Yes most of them are very fast, but still Dodge has done alot with the hand he has been given.

Macarthur
11-18-2005, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by whtfbplaya
I am sure someone has the facts, but I don't think slc has had many dI players in the last few years. I was on the field last week with them and all they have are alot of average to below average size white boys. Yes most of them are very fast, but still Dodge has done alot with the hand he has been given.

I think that's an interesting debate. I agree that Dodge has done well.

However, if you look at that program from the 30,000 ft level, it would be difficult for a coach to not succeed there.

This is one of the most affluent areas in the entire state. Many of these kids have personal trainers and/or personal coaches for their offseason workouts. They are able to maximize every tiny bit of ability out of every kid. I suppose Dodge has much to do with that, but they were winning before he got there and they will win after he leaves.

HighSchool Fan
11-18-2005, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Macarthur
I think that's an interesting debate. I agree that Dodge has done well.

However, if you look at that program from the 30,000 ft level, it would be difficult for a coach to not succeed there.

This is one of the most affluent areas in the entire state. Many of these kids have personal trainers and/or personal coaches for their offseason workouts. They are able to maximize every tiny bit of ability out of every kid. I suppose Dodge has much to do with that, but they were winning before he got there and they will win after he leaves.

i have a hard time thinking Mike Russell or Mark Copeland could win there.

Macarthur
11-18-2005, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
i have a hard time thinking Mike Russell or Mark Copeland could win there.

I have no idea who you are talking about.

injuredinmelee
11-18-2005, 12:16 PM
SLC has had more defensive players go DI since Doge took over than offensive players. I saw that on Extra. I think it was 9 Defensive kids.

BMOC
11-18-2005, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Obviously, he's a great coach, but Bennett has done a really good job at SMU. He's very close to having that program respectable, and that's saying something. I can understand why they would do it, but it would be a real slap in the face to Bennett.

Totally agree here,

Bennet is doing a great job considering what he came into. Yes Dodge is a great coach, but give Bennet more time and he is sure to keep that program moving up. I think that would be a bad move for both schools, both would lose outstanding coaches and men.

crotalus
11-18-2005, 04:45 PM
So, since the Navasota Supt is taking over at SLC, would feedawdle have a chance at taking over at southlake even after losing to sealy 55-0?

eagles_victory
11-18-2005, 05:02 PM
Riley Dodge will be a big time High School football player next year. I find it kind of hard to believe this rumor. It also reminds me of a few years ago when the Washington Redskins hired Steve Spurrier. Alot of times it just dosen't transfer.

3afan
11-19-2005, 09:13 PM
FINAL: SMU 29, UH 24