PDA

View Full Version : A&M's Problem This Year

JasperDog94
11-17-2005, 12:38 PM
I heard something yesterday that I didn't want to believe. I checked with a lady that I work with that has close ties in the athletic department at A&M and she confirmed it. A&M's problem this year in football can be summed up in one word:

Reggie

Now I know what you're thinking. This is just another Longhorn fan bashing A&M. I promise you it is not. I respect the Aggies and wish them the best in representing the great state of Texas. The stronger A&M is, the stronger the Big 12 is and the better for any team that comes out of the south. But back to my point.

It seems as though Reggie is quite the divisive player. I hesitate to say how he divides the team, but let's just say that he is a very polarizing person. People on the team either love him or hate him. This has created an atmosphere of distrust in the locker room. This actually explains a lot of what we see on the field. It looks like the Aggies don't play with a lot of heart. Well, when the leader of your team has divided you, it's hard to rally around him.

Hopefully, after the Texas game, Reggie will go away and allow McGee to step into that role, heal some deep wounds, and get A&M back on the right track.

NateDawg39
11-17-2005, 12:45 PM
This is gonna make a stir most likely.

big daddy russ
11-17-2005, 12:46 PM
I could see that, 94. I've been hesitant to jump off the Reggie bandwagon, but I'm starting to sway. I guess it took me so long to get on it getting off has become just as tough.

turbostud
11-17-2005, 12:47 PM
Is he a senior this year?

JasperDog94
11-17-2005, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
This is gonna make a stir most likely. It's not created to make a stir. It's created to shed some light on why A&M has underachieved this year.

htowntransplant
11-17-2005, 12:57 PM
he is a senior this year. i hate to believe that D-Fran is a bad head coach and that the problems are his fault. Texas A&M is a program that typically recruits very well, so maybe ur correct.

JasperDog94
11-17-2005, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by htowntransplant
he is a senior this year. i hate to believe that D-Fran is a bad head coach and that the problems are his fault. Texas A&M is a program that typically recruits very well, so maybe ur correct. It does explain most of the problems this year, doesn't it?

htowntransplant
11-17-2005, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
It does explain most of the problems this year, doesn't it?

recruiting wise??? i would be surprised if recruiting was the problem bc i would think people would want to play for fran. im not really sure, im just a texas fan who doesnt really pay alot of attention to aggie football. i do hope that the ags will get the program back on track so we can see some tightly contested UT - A&M games in the near future.

tigers05
11-17-2005, 01:33 PM
I think the aggies problem is that they can't defend the pass....or the run for that matter...and when you think about it they really dont have much of an offense either...yea combine those and you may have a problem.

Adidas410s
11-17-2005, 01:35 PM
people can point to Fran for not stepping up and taking control of the situation...but having friends at A&M that are athletes I have heard for 4 years that Reggie is a "love it or hate it" kinda guy. He has a certain kind of arrogance that does do anything but hurt his team. Just my thoughts...

La Grange
11-17-2005, 01:41 PM
Reggie also got into a feud with Fran over the fact that Reggie wanted a more pro-style offense while Fran wanted to still use his shotgun-option attack. I have friends on the team and they all say that Fran is never around. He is not that personable to the team and relies on the other coaches to coach the players while he game plans. Fran is a great coach but I don't think he needs to stay in Aggieland much longer. The Ags need to pull a Notre Dame and find a good coordinator out of the NFL and try to get him in Aggieland. They Ags have a lot of great talent, but the talent never seems to play to its level.

That's just how I personally see it.

JasperDog94
11-17-2005, 01:51 PM
The QB is the heart and soul of almost every football team. That's the person that most teams look to for inspiration. When that person conspires vs. inspires, then there's your promblem. How is it that Reggie was so good last year, yet he's barely above average this year?

slyder
11-17-2005, 01:53 PM
reggie doesn't play defense, and that has been the BIG problem. They couldn't stop texas state. I will agree that when he is gone the offense will not revolve around him. when mcgee is in the rotation they seem to gel better. a&m defense is second to last in the nation this year. things are not going well. tu will end up losing in the nc game and win the recruiting war against a&m again.

lebron_fan
11-17-2005, 01:58 PM
all of this talk about reggie screwing the team up....last time i checked reggie doesnt play any defense....so i would say its hardly his fault....the funniest i think is when i watch the aggies cornerbacks pump the crowd up and then 5 seconds later they are getting burned every time...its so funny...

injuredinmelee
11-17-2005, 02:01 PM
Lack of conditioning and lack of speed is what makes the ags terrible than most this year.

CHS_CG
11-17-2005, 02:10 PM
when Jason Carter was the QB at caldwell we had the same problem, our O didnt gel well with him. The biggest problem was, even when JC was doin bad, he would get to stay in. A lot of our guys had a problem with that and just werent willing to work with it. Now Jason had learned how to not make the game about him so much as for the team. Sometimes I see Reggie doing the same thing. Hopefully the Ags can pull it together.

Adidas410s
11-17-2005, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by lebron_fan
all of this talk about reggie screwing the team up....last time i checked reggie doesnt play any defense....so i would say its hardly his fault....the funniest i think is when i watch the aggies cornerbacks pump the crowd up and then 5 seconds later they are getting burned every time...its so funny...

What about the part where Reggie is barely completing 50% of his passes...doesn't even have a 2:1 TD to INT ratio and has reverted back to trying to scramble and make plays with his legs instead of staying in the pocket and throwing as he did last year when he made great strides at his position. He has seen his draft stock go from 1st round to a solid 2nd day draft pick at best...

lebron_fan
11-17-2005, 02:12 PM
well believe me i never thought he was gonna live up to the hype and be a star at a&m like all of yall did and most a&m fans

JasperDog94
11-17-2005, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by slyder
tu will end up losing in the nc game and win the recruiting war against a&m again. This is not at Texas vs. Texas A&M thread. Let's keep it that way please.

injuredinmelee
11-17-2005, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by lebron_fan
well believe me i never thought he was gonna live up to the hype and be a star at a&m like all of yall did and most a&m fans

Vince did. I can remember hearing about 987,652,415,783,125 times aobut how Reggie was the better everything... I sure havent heard that this year. It is time for the maroon colored glasses to come off aggies fans and realize two things. Reggie is not a good QB Should be a rec or DB and Fran sucks as a coach. Show me one thing that Fran has improved the program on over RC?

JasperDog94
11-17-2005, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
when Jason Carter was the QB at caldwell we had the same problem, our O didnt gel well with him. Ding, ding, ding, ding!!!! We have a winner.

When you make statements ticking off half of your o-line, what's their incentive to give you their all? Maybe that's why the defense is getting burned so much. Their offense can't stay out on the field long enough.

IHStangFan
11-17-2005, 03:26 PM
I'm a die-hard aggie fan, and I do not disspell this at all......actually would explain alot about this season.

Astrosdawg07
11-17-2005, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
when Jason Carter was the QB at caldwell we had the same problem, our O didnt gel well with him. The biggest problem was, even when JC was doin bad, he would get to stay in. A lot of our guys had a problem with that and just werent willing to work with it. Now Jason had learned how to not make the game about him so much as for the team. Sometimes I see Reggie doing the same thing. Hopefully the Ags can pull it together.

Well I understand why Reg would do that, everyone else on offense sucks.

Whiskey Tough
11-17-2005, 09:25 PM
What is the source of this "inside the locker room" info concerning who likes and dislikes reggie?

CHS_CG
11-17-2005, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07
Well I understand why Reg would do that, everyone else on offense sucks.

if everybody besides reggie sucked, they wouldnt have done well when McGee went in against OU.

AggieJohn
11-17-2005, 09:51 PM
well word on the inside is that reggie won't play the t+1 game due to injury....

crabman
11-17-2005, 11:01 PM
Reggie IS better than Vince Young. Just like Cryin' Leaf was better that Peyton Manning. More to life than a strong arm. There will be no love lost when Reggie leaves A&M. I think polarizing was a good choice of words.

Everyone keeps saying our defense is bad. I went to the Texas State game and watched Marquis Carpenter have 13 passes completed in front of him. He was one of the top Juco DB's in the country. He kept looking to the sidelines so they would let him play bump and run and the coaches still kept him 12-15 yards off the line. Easy pickings for Texas State. I watched A&M play a 3 man front and drop two of them back into coverage leaving one pass rusher when they played Tech. Our problem is not talent, it's coaching. Carl Torbush had the top defense in the nation when he was Mack Brown's defensive coordinator at North Carolina. He didn't just forget how to coach. He is being told what to do. We had better cut off the head before the whole fish rots.

YBS
11-18-2005, 09:23 AM
SOOOOOO many people want to blame Reggie for the horrible year b/c it's so easy to point a finger at one kid who is a senior and will be gone next year. Last year when Reggie was setting QB efficiency ratings no one said, "the reason the Ags are only 7-5 this year is Reggie". So why is he a problem now? It was APPARENT last year that our offense ran very questionable plays in the red zone and early in the Cotton Bowl and they came out with that same horrible "Urban Spread" offense this year with equally questionable playcalling in situations. People want to put the blame on Reggie hoping once he's gone all will be great with Aggie Athletics and we won't have that cancer. Well kids, I'm here to tell ya that until our coaching staff decides to fully utilize all of our talent (cough, Jovorskie) all the time we're in for several more underachieving seasons. :rolleyes: