PDA

View Full Version : Write-up on Ingleside -vs- Rio Hondo in CC Paper

IHStangFan
11-17-2005, 12:35 PM
I found it interesting that Chrisman is the 3rd starting QB for IHS this season and has managed to put up over 1000yds and 15tds...impressive for a Soph.

Mustangs keep getting stronger
Ingleside team hitting its stride in postseason

By Javier Becerra Caller-Times
November 17, 2005

By now, most teams still in the playoffs have reached an optimum playing level.

That might not be the case at Ingleside, but second-year coach Graig Hesseltine doesn't seem to mind as the Mustangs (5-5) prepare for Friday's Class 3A Division II area matchup against Rio Hondo (9-1).

Advertisement

"We're still seeing some improvement," Hesseltine said. "We're getting better. That's what should be happening this time of the season."

It showed last week.

Trailing 27-20 at halftime, Ingleside outscored Cotulla 24-0 in the second half to put the first-round playoff game out of reach. The outburst included 21 third-quarter points, more than enough to overcome the sluggish start.

"We opened flat but played one of our better halves of the year," Hesseltine said. "We just clicked on all cylinders."

Hesseltine said the key is an offensive line that features only one senior, tackle Michael Mosmeyer. Joined by juniors Justin Chambers and Cody Scheurick and sophomores Josh Howerton and Josh Luna, Mosmeyer anchors a unit that has allowed the Mustangs to develop a balanced attack.

Ingleside is averaging nearly 300 total yards per game, a total split evenly between rushing (146) and passing (146.4). Last week, the Mustangs put up 353 total yards against Cotulla.

"You have to give the line a whole lot of credit," Hesseltine said. "When we're balanced we seem to put some points up. The past few games we've thrown well early and run well late. Hopefully the trend will continue this week."

That might be difficult against a Rio Hondo team that held Orange Grove to 180 total yards (100 rushing, 80 passing) in an 18-0 victory last week. Along with possessing the No. 2 defense in the Rio Grande Valley, the Bulldogs pose a serious offensive threat.

Rio Hondo controlled the clock against Orange Grove with a rushing game that produced 219 yards on 36 attempts. Robbie Mesa had 17 of those carries for 131 yards and a touchdown.

"They're a big team and very physical up front. They try to come right at you and pound it down your throat. You have to play good defense to stop these guys," Hesseltine said. "From what we've seen, if they do have a weakness, it's the secondary."

If so, it gives Ingleside a prime opportunity.

Sophomore quarterback Travis Chrisman continued his development last week by completing eight passes for 195 yards and two touchdowns. He broke the 1,000-yard mark with the performance and increased his touchdown total to 15.

Hesseltine hopes Ingleside's passing game continues to improve.

"We just want to keep doing what we do best," he said. "We don't want to change a whole lot. All we want is to get the ball in the hands of the guys that we know can make plays for us. If that happens, we can put up the points we need."

44INAROW
11-17-2005, 12:42 PM
Is Coach Hesseltine any relation to Mike?

IHStangFan
11-17-2005, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
Is Coach Hesseltine any relation to Mike? that's more than likely be a question for one of our Sinton fans. All the Hesseltines I know of come from Sinton.

pirate4state
11-17-2005, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
Is Coach Hesseltine any relation to Mike? yes, they are cousins.

big daddy russ
I think he is. I know he's from Sinton.

99IHSMustang
I was wondering when they were going to do a write up on Ingleside. I believe they were the only team that didn't get mentioned after they won the game last Sat.

44INAROW
11-17-2005, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
yes, they are cousins.
thanks..

IHStangFan
11-17-2005, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by 99IHSMustang
I was wondering when they were going to do a write up on Ingleside. I believe they were the only team that didn't get mentioned after they won the game last Sat. you are correct Iz. the only teams that get any love from the Caller are Sinton and GP (of the teams that ARENT corpus schools.) w/ Sinton out, they had no other choice i guess. I was also glad to see that Flour Bluff got some love, as...its usually GP and Calallen, but FB cannot be ignored this year as they defeated GP and Calallen easily in regular season.

IHStangFan
11-18-2005, 07:25 PM
LETS GO STANGS!!