PDA

View Full Version : Texas & Texas A&M

whtfbplaya
11-16-2005, 12:44 AM
Does the big Mo help A&M at least keep this one respectable?

I also have a ticket to the game in the corner of the endzone, paid 85 would like to sell. My girlfriend is having surgery over Thanksgiving and I need to go see her!!! Send PM if interested in game ticket!

whtfbplaya
11-16-2005, 12:46 AM
?????????????

big daddy russ
11-16-2005, 01:10 AM
A&M will get a few of their injured boys back for this game and that'll help their chances. They'll finally have all their starting LB's playing together during the same game along with 3/4 of their starting secondary.

On that note, unless A&M pulls something out of their you-know-whats and the talent on the team actually plays to their ability, it's going to be a long day. Heck, even if they play to their ability it still may be a long day.

Hupernikomen
11-16-2005, 01:32 AM
Not supposed to be a game on paper, but that's why they line up to play the game.

SHSU wasn't supposed to beat Mizzou in basketball either.

AggieJohn
11-16-2005, 01:47 AM
when did shsu beat missou

sinfan75
11-16-2005, 05:34 AM
Well, If A&M plays their best game of the year and Texas is a little off, they can keep it close and maybe have a chance at the end. But if Texas plays like they played against Kansas, It won't matter how the Aggies play Texas will win big.

3afan
11-16-2005, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
when did shsu beat missou

MONDAY

LINK (http://mutigers.collegesports.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/111405aad.html)

sweetwater07
11-16-2005, 07:55 AM
i love my aggies but really i don't think they stand a chance......i'm a realistic fan!!

eagles_victory
11-16-2005, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
Not supposed to be a game on paper, but that's why they line up to play the game.

SHSU wasn't supposed to beat Mizzou in basketball either. Mizzou's basketball team isn't anywhere on the same level as Texas football.

AggieJohn
11-16-2005, 09:05 AM
ehh, i'd say they are relatively close:D

FbCoachB40
11-16-2005, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by whtfbplaya
Does the big Mo help A&M at least keep this one respectable?

I also have a ticket to the game in the corner of the endzone, paid 85 would like to sell. My girlfriend is having surgery over Thanksgiving and I need to go see her!!! Send PM if interested!

Interested in going to the game? or seeing your girlfriend?

Which are you asking me?

sirhc11
11-16-2005, 09:22 AM
As much hoopla as there is about this game I really don't expect it to be close. VY knows what he has to do and Mack Brown won't let his team get fancy.... until after they have put up somewhat of a cushion on the scoreboard. I look for Texas to go up by 21 in the first half..... then and only THEN if the Horns get cocky and think they've won will the aggies win.... but I know the horns will own the first half it just depends on if they want to give the aggies the second half

injuredinmelee
11-16-2005, 09:25 AM
This game is scary to me because it is at Kyle Field. Ags kept it close last year but I think Texas is much better overall than they were at the end of last season. Mental errors will get you beat and the Horns cannot afford to make any. A&M played a little better against the run last week aginat blOwyoU but their offensive line is terrible up north and I think that the UT OL will be able to dominate upfront. It will be hard to stop all the Horn runners. You have to stop Vince, Jamal, Selvin, and Ramonce. They keep em coming in fresh and the beef up front will eventuially wear down the aggies. After the Tech/ag game i said on here that the ags were slow and looked out of shape. I think that will be what finally leads to a UT blowout.

mustangsince87
11-16-2005, 10:23 AM
the only way the aggies would win is if they get some kind of miracle. texas is just way too good for them. its a very slim chance the aggies will win but i would like to see them win because it would screw up the bcs.

raider red 2000
11-16-2005, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by FbCoachB40
Interested in going to the game? or seeing your girlfriend?

Which are you asking me?

good one.

not nice.

but good.

UPanIN
11-16-2005, 10:27 AM
UT 58
A&M 14

Jerrod Handy
11-16-2005, 10:51 AM
The Longhorns are at the top of their game this year, and they look like a team that is ready to destroy anything, and everything in there way,BUT this could be Mcneal and other senior's last game of the season, and it is their last game at Kyle Field, so i'm sure they will try to go out like a light, and the ags get a close victory in college station.

Texas 28

A&M 31

GIG EM AGS:)

Macarthur
11-16-2005, 10:59 AM
As much as I would like to see the Aggies win, I just don't see it.

They can keep it close if they play solid up front, which their DL is capable of doing, and they get a big play from the special teams or a turnover for a TD or something like that.

gobblergolf
11-16-2005, 10:59 AM
Rumor has it up here in aggieland that McNeal is out for the year. Dont quote me on that, but his career as an aggie qb may very well be over. However, I dont think this will hurt as bad as some may assume. McGee is a hell of an up-and-coming qb and may be able to pull the upset that McNeal led us to over OU a few years back. I realize that t.u. is at the top of their game, but you never know. I believe McGee will have a surprising game to many and with a good rushing attack, we may surprise some longhorns. I know our secondary is what many would call awful, but who knows, maybe they can come together for just one game!

11TARPON
11-16-2005, 11:11 AM
I hope McNeil plays or else the excuses will be "If only McNeil had played". This would be McNeil's chance to bow out of the game and not have to hear the statement "Never could beat V Young". The Longhorns are the better athletes and are on a mission. The confidence is obvious. Should be a happy Thanksgiving weekend all over Texas except College Station.

vet93
11-16-2005, 11:23 AM
I expect that A&M will get blown out on this one. The longhorns are too strong defensively to allow a rookie qb to have his way. A&M does not have the offensive line that can line up and run over you. There defense is porous and injury-plagued....this all points towards a blowout for the ags. I am as optimistic as the next guy...but I don't see the aggies pulling an OU-type miracle on this one.

injuredinmelee
11-16-2005, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by gobblergolf
Rumor has it up here in aggieland that McNeal is out for the year. Dont quote me on that, but his career as an aggie qb may very well be over. However, I dont think this will hurt as bad as some may assume. McGee is a hell of an up-and-coming qb and may be able to pull the upset that McNeal led us to over OU a few years back. I realize that t.u. is at the top of their game, but you never know. I believe McGee will have a surprising game to many and with a good rushing attack, we may surprise some longhorns. I know our secondary is what many would call awful, but who knows, maybe they can come together for just one game!

please tell me why it is TU instead of UT? Aggies used to tell me it was because they were bigger hence UT had to be TU now UT is the biggest single campus in the country numbers wise. So it is UT.

vet93
11-16-2005, 11:42 AM
Injured...basically it started many years ago when Aggies and Longhorns were giving each other a hard time....Longhorns would make reference that they were THE University of Texas (emphasis on THE...much like Ohio State calls themselves THE Ohio State University). The Aggies...to get under the skin of their Longhorn buddies would not acknowledge the implied superior status that the emphasis on THE was supposed to represent, instead they would butcher UT's name by referring to them as Texas University or t.u. Just a bunch of good natured ribbing that stared many years ago.

Originally posted by injuredinmelee
please tell me why it is TU instead of UT? Aggies used to tell me it was because they were bigger hence UT had to be TU now UT is the biggest single campus in the country numbers wise. So it is UT.

aggie
11-16-2005, 11:45 AM
as much as it hurts me to say this...this game will not be close. after iowa state handed it to us at home, and the way we have played this year...i don't think kyle field is near the advantage it had been in the past...however i think having one of the worst defenses in the nation plays a part in that as well.

the a& vs tu rivarly reminds me of the cameron vs rockdale rivarly. the same team wins year after year after year.

hoosierdaddy
11-16-2005, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee

Texas A&M is the original land grant college for the state of Texas. It was founded before t.u., Therefore, t.u. is NOT the university of Texas. they are just Texas university. We were here first, and we like to let all y'all know it.

gobblergolf
11-16-2005, 11:53 AM
First, in response to the whole "t.u." thing. It is all in good fun! We get the aggie jokes sent our way and that is just a little something that we use. But, the real reason behind the whole "t.u." thing is b/c it is just a university in texas, meaning texas university, rather than being the university OF texas, which would be UT. But, its all really just a joke with me. My closest cousin goes to school there and she is my age, so it is an endless battle with us. Plus I have all kinds of friends there, so its not like I'm the aggie that is die-hard hate t.u. ....... But about the post is had earlier about the rumor. It is a good thing i said not to quote me b/c in between classes I work on campus and a fellow student/coworker just told me that he heard that McNeal would start against t.u. It is easy to see why! This is his final game in front of everyone here at Kyle Field and I believe it would take a lot to make him sit it out. Although he hasnt accomplished as much as many assumed, people around here still respect him and believe he deserves his final shot at v-young and the boys. I'll be the first to say that I am not a huge Reggie friend but I am looking forward to his last game in front of the home crowd. He has done a lot to impress many and I can respect that. .....So, for now, I'm changing my earlier comment about Reggie playing. I am starting to here that he is going to and i'll be looking forward to it. And on the other subject, nothing bad meant, i just tend to call it t.u.!!

gobblergolf
11-16-2005, 11:55 AM
In my last post...I meant "Not a huge Reggie fan", not "Reggie Fan"....Finals are looming so I am starting to lose my mind and forgetting how to type. Later.

NewYorkYankee
11-16-2005, 12:24 PM
Texas is 2 games away from playing for the National Championship. 2 more wins!Im sure Mack Brown is emphasizing that to his team. Expect Texas to play to their full extent these last 2 games. And considering that Texas is playing A&M at A&M expect to see the Longhorns in War mode.With that said..A&M doesnt stand a chance..........Texas 52 A&M 10............peace out e-town down!

whtfbplaya
11-16-2005, 12:52 PM
I think to win, A&M must:(score more points than tu) and that's not going to happen

JasperDog94
11-16-2005, 12:56 PM
t.u. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

JasperDog94
11-16-2005, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by hoosierdaddy
Texas A&M is the original land grant college for the state of Texas. It was founded before t.u., Therefore, t.u. is NOT the university of Texas. they are just Texas university. We were here first, and we like to let all y'all know it. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Whatever makes you feel better.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Macarthur
11-16-2005, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by whtfbplaya
I think to win, A&M must:(score more points than tu)

genius!

;)

I don't think there's any question Mac is using every motivational tool in his belt. However, we are talking about college kids here. It wouldn't surprise me if UT underestimates A&M and they give the horns a scare.

KTJ
11-16-2005, 04:22 PM
Texas A&M is the original land grant college for the state of Texas. It was founded before t.u., Therefore, t.u. is NOT the university of Texas. they are just Texas university. We were here first, and we like to let all y'all know it.

You do realize that A&M was founded as an agricultural college that was supposed to be part of The University of Texas, right? So technically, A&M was founded as subset of Texas, not as a totally different univeristy.

YBS
11-16-2005, 05:04 PM
How could A&M supposed to be a part of the UT system if it was founded before UT:confused:

Bulldog_12
11-16-2005, 08:02 PM

Im here in Aggieland as well and I havent heard that rumor. He is listed as a sprained ankle and is day to day. Rumors aren't worth a flip. McNeal will play on T+1, and come away with the win.:D
Gig'em Ags!:thumbsup:

NateDawg39
11-16-2005, 08:15 PM
I hope I dont smell an upset!

gobblergolf
11-16-2005, 08:21 PM
Just a little message for Bulldog_12 and this is in no way meant rude cuz your a fellow aggie and you know i respect that. But, if you would have read my following post you would have seen that i edited the "rumor" and stated that it had changed. Thats why in the beginning I said not to quote me on it, because I know how false words travel so quickly. I ended up saying that McNeal would play and that I was hoping for an upset. So, I just wanted to clear that up. Hopefully we'll both be able to witness a big upset when t.u. comes to town. Later.

3afan
11-16-2005, 08:31 PM

thats the logic, reasoning, whatever .... that aggie jokes come out of

big daddy russ
11-16-2005, 08:59 PM
I always thought A&M was the land grant college and UT was the state-funded school??? I know in Alabama, Bama was the state school and Auburn, Alabama A&M and Tuskegee are the land grants. In Oklahoma, OSU was the land grant, OU is the state school. In Indiana, IU is the state school, Purdue is the land grant. I do remember that in Florida, it was opposite from most states. Instead of "Florida State" being the land grant, it was UF. FSU was actually the state school over there.

I could've sworn that TAMU and Prairie View were the two land grants given to Texas, and that UT was the state school. If that's the case, then I don't see how UT could've been formed before A&M. The Morrill Act (Land Grant) was passed sometime during the Civil War Era, I want to say 1864. The first discussions for a state school by the Texas congress didn't start until the 1870's.

You can correct me if I'm wrong.

Stang4life5_5
11-16-2005, 09:19 PM
Ok what happened to A&M this year, supposedly McNeal was supposed to be heisman material...NOt...JP was supposed to keep the wide outs from coming to the middle...Thats not happening(injury ofcourse) and the D-Line was supposed to be top noch...Im a strait up Aggie woop woop but i dunno texas has a VERY dominant team so ill be at the lonestar showdown but i doubt their will be an upset

Brahma73
11-16-2005, 11:10 PM
A&M Class of '77, but this ain't gonna be purty at all :crying:

KTJ
11-17-2005, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I always thought A&M was the land grant college and UT was the state-funded school??? I know in Alabama, Bama was the state school and Auburn, Alabama A&M and Tuskegee are the land grants. In Oklahoma, OSU was the land grant, OU is the state school. In Indiana, IU is the state school, Purdue is the land grant. I do remember that in Florida, it was opposite from most states. Instead of "Florida State" being the land grant, it was UF. FSU was actually the state school over there.

I could've sworn that TAMU and Prairie View were the two land grants given to Texas, and that UT was the state school. If that's the case, then I don't see how UT could've been formed before A&M. The Morrill Act (Land Grant) was passed sometime during the Civil War Era, I want to say 1864. The first discussions for a state school by the Texas congress didn't start until the 1870's.

You can correct me if I'm wrong.

It's one of those deals where UT fans will say one thing and A&M fans will say another. You can find the data that explains it but for every piece of research that says A&M was created first, there is either a flaw in the wording or another piece of paper that proves differently.

Here are the records for the teams over the last 8 years, just fyi--

Texas - 80-19
Texas A&M - 56-40

big daddy russ
11-17-2005, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
It's one of those deals where UT fans will say one thing and A&M fans will say another. You can find the data that explains it but for every piece of research that says A&M was created first, there is either a flaw in the wording or another piece of paper that proves differently.

I learned about this at Del Mar College in Corpus Christi, TX. I might be fuzzy on some of the details because I took Texas History almost eight years ago, but as far as what we were taught A&M was founded in 1876 as a land grant and UT was founded in 1883 by the state of Texas. That's a full seven years later.

I may be wrong, and if I am I'd be glad to admit it. I learned this stuff a long time ago, long before I had any allegiance to TAMU and from a lady that graduated from Grambling. No bias whatsoever. If I am wrong, I just want to know how.

A little background info on the Morrill Act and on the way these colleges came to being (I just looked it up for a bit of a refresher... this old mind ain't what it used to be;) ):
-It was passed in 1862 by a senator from Vermont from whom the bill was named.
-Gave each state 30K acres of land for each Congressman represented by the state (every state had at least two senators, at least one representative... 3 congressman x 30K acres for each one= 90K... even the smallest states received 90K acres)
-Each state also received funding, some more than others, depending on need.
-The states were to use the land and funding to establish colleges which focused on agricultural, engineering, technical studies, and many also offered degrees in military science (TAMU, the Citadel, VMI, etc.).
-The two colleges set up by the Morrill Act were Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas (now known as TAMU) and The Alta Vista Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas for Colored Youth (now Prairie View A&M).
-Texas A&M was established during the Congressional session of 1871 and opened its doors on October 4, 1876.
-Prairie View was established on August 14, 1876 by the Texas Consitution of 1876. It opened its doors on March 11, 1878 with it's first class of eight. Was a part of the A&M system from the outset. Tarleton State joined the system as a part of the second land grant act in 1917.
-The University of Texas opened its doors on September 5, 1883.
-Quote from www.utsystem.edu:
In the Texas Constitution of 1876, Article VII provided that "The Legislature shall, as soon as practicable, establish, organize, and provide for the maintenance, support, and direction of a university of the first class, to be located by a vote of the people of this State, and styled ‘The University of Texas’..." The Legislature vested the governance of the University in the Board of Regents of The University of Texas.

In 1881, the 17th Legislature passed an act stating:

That there be established in this State, at such location as may be determined by a vote of the people, an institution of learning, which shall be called and known as The University of Texas. The medical department of the university shall be located, if so determined by a vote of the people, at a different point from the university proper, and as a branch thereof; and the question of the location of said department shall be submitted to the people and voted on separately from the propositions for the location of the main university.

By vote of the people September 6, 1881, the Main University was located in Austin and the Medical Branch in Galveston.

-What we know: The Texas Constitution of 1876 was adopted on August 14, 1876... not even two months before A&M opened its doors.
-A Texas university (which would become UT) was originally planned in 1939 by the Republic of Texas. Over 230K acres of land was donated that year for the endowment of two universities. The plan didn't materialize as soon as the Congress had hoped due to the financial situation of both the state and the people in it and frontier conditions. The land had been donated, but it hadn't been specified as which plot(s) of land would be used.
(can be found at http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/UU/kcu9.html)
-In 1858, Congress finally revisited the idea and got the ball rolling. Funds were set aside and an outline for control of the university.
-A&M was established on money and land donated by the Morrill act in 1871. -This is where A&M is first mentioned... the other university to be set up by the land set aside from the Republic of Texas would
-Constitutional Congress of 1876-where the "University of Texas" was first mentioned, first got its name, was established.

SEE BELOW....

big daddy russ
11-17-2005, 03:43 AM
And I finally found on that website where A&M was a branch of UT...

"The Constitution of 1876qv specified that the legislature, as soon as practicable, was to establish, organize, and provide for the maintenance and support of a "university of the first class" to be located by vote of the people and styled the University of Texas, for promotion of the study of literature and the arts and sciences. An agricultural and mechanical branch was mandated. The same article (7) of the constitution made A&M a branch of the university."

So A&M was already established and was set to open its doors in a month and a half, but by the time it opened its doors it had been adopted into the UT system. Apparently, they have since split up although it doesn't say when this happened.