PDA

View Full Version : Overtime Games

crabman
11-16-2005, 12:08 AM
Did anyone notice last week in 1A through 5A there were only 2 or 3 overtime games out of almost 200 games?

Too much disparity in the talent in round one. 1% of the games week one. Look for that percentage to grow each week.

whtfbplaya
11-16-2005, 12:13 AM
I saw one of them and one of the best hs games I have ever seen in Texarkanna and HP.

Owen B
11-16-2005, 08:49 AM
The UIL site lists 5 OT games and I know of one more that it doesn't list. There might be a few others but if we just go with the six, that makes almost 3% of all the games played. But just looking at OT games doesn't give a good indication of disparity (or lack thereof) between teams.

The margin in ten games was one point. In ten more, the margin was three points. In 48 of 208 games, the margin was 7 points or less. All of those games were close enough that you really can't say there was much disparity between the teams.

In 61 games, the margin was 10 points or less. At least one of those games was decided in the final minute, and probably several others were pretty close to near the end.

In 132 of the 208 games in 1A-5A, the margin was 14 points or more. Most of those were probably due to a pretty big disparity between the teams, but even some of them could have been due to one of two fairly evenly matched teams catching a couple of breaks, or the other one making a couple of costly mistakes.

So yes, there is quite a bit of disparity among many teams in the first round and usually progressively less in later rounds, but I don't think it's as bad as you indicate.

CenTexSports
11-16-2005, 08:55 AM
You colud eliminate this scoring disparity by changing the format. Let winners of district play other winners and seconds pay seconds. There would be some blowouts in later rounds but it would eliminate the first round disparity that seems to concern you.

I choose to have only one division and one true state championship.

Owen B
11-16-2005, 10:15 AM
I didn't do a thorough check on this. I just looked at 3A in 1997, the last year before the 2 division format. That year, the margin in 17 of 32 bidistrict games was 14 or more, and in 15 of those, it was 19 or more (3TD or more difference). So there seems to have been only slightly less disparity then than now. I don't see the disparity thing as much of an issue. It sorts itself out. I do agree about the one division and one champion, but that's probably not going to happen again.

mwynn05
11-16-2005, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by whtfbplaya
I saw one of them and one of the best hs games I have ever seen in Texarkanna and HP. I saw one of the best i have seen in a long time in SGP and Denton Ryan and the score was 48-35 in OT

whtfbplaya
11-16-2005, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
I saw one of the best i have seen in a long time in SGP and Denton Ryan and the score was 48-35 in OT

I was at that game also, a great game.