PDA

View Full Version : Story from Decatur

NateDawg39
11-14-2005, 10:33 PM
This is a good story of a Alex Pierce...good guy!
Sideline support

The story of a pinetime football player

Published Thursday, November 10, 2005

By Robert Morgan

Every football team has a bench. It usually has at least one player who sits at the end of it, where playing time is scarce. At Decatur High School, that player is Alex Pierce.

The 17-year-old varsity quarterback has played the position longer than any of the big names to go through Decatur’s football program. In fact, he has spent the last six years under center, yet he will not start a varsity game, has never thrown a pass and will likely graduate this year without ever scoring a point.

Pierce’s love for football runs so deep that he chose to quit band this year so he could focus on the sport. He put away his tuba which he played alongside his twin brother, Michael, to focus more as a reserve on the football team.

The most memorable football moment of Pierce’s playing career was in seventh grade. On a busted pass play in which his receiver fell, Pierce heard the footsteps of a large lineman coming his way. He tucked the ball in and sprinted up the middle of the field until he found the end zone 27 yards later.

That was a great day for Pierce, and it’s even greater when he looks back on those 10 seconds of fame. That’s because he has never scored again.

That is just fine with him. You see, Pierce is not your average football player. He knows he doesn’t have the skill or stature to be an impact on Friday nights. In the event of an injury, he still gets overlooked, and he doesn’t expect anything more.

“If you love something, you have to go after it. If you don’t, then you quit. But I love football and I never gave up whether I played or not,” Pierce said. “If you have a job you love, would you quit it? No. Now if you didn’t like your job, you would eventually quit. I love what I am doing and am very happy because I know I help everyone around me.”

There is no position on any team that is more difficult to master and execute well than that of substitute. The so-called “role” involves not playing much, if it all. Some get the occasional moments of “garbage time” – a time when your team is up or down by so much that the outcome of the contest is no longer in question. If he’s lucky, Pierce may go in for the final drive – which means a run up the middle and letting the clock run out.

At only 5 feet 8 inches tall and 130 pounds, Pierce does not strike fear into anyone. But, if you ask his coaches, the smallest kid on the football team has the biggest heart.

“If I had 50 guys with the heart, intelligence and team-first attitude Alex has, I don’t think we would ever lose,” said DHS coach Kyle Story, who has heard players compare Pierce to a famous college athlete known as ‘Rudy.’ “Alex is a team player who puts the team first before anything. He wants to make the team better. He does make us better.”

Pierce is a lot like the famous Rudy Ruettiger, who played in just one game for Notre Dame but was the scout team’s quarterback. Pierce suits up every game, but his role is the same – he gets his adrenaline as the quarterback on the scout team. The scout team runs the plays of an opponent so the defense knows what to expect in the next game.

“I know our opponents’ plays better than our opponents do,” Pierce joked. “My job is to get my team ready for the next game. If I don’t do that, then how can we be ready to win our next game? I know my role on the team and it’s on the practice field during the week. If we are going to get ready to play teams like Abilene Wylie, I have to do my job and prepare my teammates.”

Pierce has suited up as quarterback all six years of his career. He started the journey in seventh grade when he played for the “B” team.

The team did not win a lot, but he didn’t care. He was playing and fulfilling his dream of being a quarterback.

Eventually his size caught up with him. He played some basketball, but he quit because he said he was not good. Football, however, was going to stay as long as the sport would accept him.

After middle school, Pierce suited up for the freshman “B” team and then the sophomore team in 2003. His play was limited all three seasons, but his desire was not.

“I only played four plays on the junior varsity team,” Pierce said. “Sure, I would have liked to play more, but that’s not the only reason I want to play football. I want to get better and I want to help those around me. If I can do both of those, I am happy.”

Pierce, now a two-year letterman, was moved to the varsity squad last year where he watched Chandler Dane set school records and move into the state’s list of all-time passing leaders. It was a special year for him.

“How many people can say they got to play with Chandler Dane? Not only did I get to stand on the sidelines with him, but we practiced together all the time,” Pierce said.

“Sticking with football is the greatest decision I have made. I have met the best people ever and made some great friends.”

After playing the trombone and tuba for six years, Pierce decided to quit band as a senior. He wanted to give his undivided attention to his Eagle football team.

“I talked to Alex about not playing football during the summer since he doesn’t play (in games), but I didn’t think he would stop,” said Jamie Lemieux, Pierce’s friend and debate partner. “I asked him why he sticks with it, and he said it’s like his second family.”

August rolled around and Pierce was at the fieldhouse for two-a-days. Knowing that landing the starting quarterback job was not an option, Pierce continued his role that no one else would have the patience to do.

“I know I am not as good as Brandon Cobb. He has his responsibilities and so do I,” Pierce said. “Knowing what I do during the week is important to me.

“The team is what keeps me going. Seeing the defense stop the other team makes me happy, and I know I did my job on the scout team. Unless I play some flag football at a family reunion, this is my last year to play football, so I can’t hold back now.”

Pierce’s field time has been so limited this year that he can tell you what happened all nine times he touched the ball. His longest run was 18 yards in a 35-2 win over Graham. He had a few other carries for short gains and a couple of losses, mixed in with three fumbles.

“I feel bad for him because when he is lucky enough to get in, he doesn’t get the same help on the field as Cobb does because the starters are not in there. It’s harder for him to get the snap or whatever,” Lemieux said.

Though he left the group, the band is not afraid to show Pierce some love. On the rare occasion that he plays, band members cheer a little louder while holding up two fingers in honor of his No. 2 jersey.

“Alex may not have the size or the athleticism to start on varsity, but he sure knows his stuff,” Story said. “One thing I won’t forget about Alex is when we have our quarterbacks meeting, he always knows the answers. Even when the other guys are not sure, Alex is sure. He is an intelligent young man.”

Pierce, who ranks 15th in his senior class, uses his wisdom on the high school debate team where he has been among the best for four years.

He saw his older brother Brian, who is currently at Duke, go to state in debate. That was just enough to perk his interest.

As a freshman, Pierce advanced to state where he beat his brother Brian. Pierce was also named ‘top speaker’ at the event in which he discussed mental health.

In the last three years Pierce has debated ocean biology, United Nations peace keeping and civil liberties.

“He is a great debate partner. We have been together the last two years and it’s been a lot of fun, and it gives him something to do away from football,” Lemieux said. “When we hang out as friends we talk debate — not football — because we are a bunch of nerds.”

Pierce, who has also been involved in track, National Honor Society, Business Professionals of America, UIL academics, Spanish club and mock trial, hopes there are five weeks left in this playing career.

His Eagles will play their first playoff game this Friday against West High School, and he has been busy preparing the defense for another potent running game. It’s a preparation he hopes is not the last.

“Losing by one point to the state champions last year really hurt. It still hurts,” Pierce said. “This is our chance to make up for that. I really want that.”

Nothing has held Pierce back in six years from reaching his athletic goals, so there should be no doubt he will be pushing his team in the final month of his playing career.

“Alex is not the most athletic guy you will ever meet,” Lemieux said. “But he has a bigger heart than most football players I know. I know of a lot of guys that quit because they don’t start or they don’t play a lot in every game. Alex never plays and that doesn’t bother him. That’s what makes him Alex.”

maroogreen
11-14-2005, 10:56 PM
Excellent story! Sounds like a fantastic kid who plays for all of the right reasons. Good for the paper for spotlighting a kid who plays for the love of the game.

NateDawg39
11-14-2005, 11:09 PM
He is a very smart young man! I hope he gets the Eagles ready for the Leopards!