PDA

View Full Version : Fairfield

eagles_victory
11-14-2005, 02:45 PM
The Fairfield football program will go in a different directon next year as David Armstrong will no longer be the head coach. A sad day in Fairfield Coach Armstrong was a good man.

BU97
11-14-2005, 03:47 PM
What happened? Was Fairfield not very good? I know that they had a chance to make the playoffs if they could have beaten M-ville. I take it he is not leaving on his own. . . .

mwynn05
11-14-2005, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by BU97
What happened? Was Fairfield not very good? I know that they had a chance to make the playoffs if they could have beaten M-ville. I take it he is not leaving on his own. . . . Well they were 2-7 but your right they would ahve been in had they held on against Madisonville but it;s my personal belief thta if you go 3-6 you dont deserve to make the playoffs but all in all the program was successful under him.

BU97
11-14-2005, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
Well they were 2-7 but your right they would ahve been in had they held on against Madisonville but it;s my personal belief thta if you go 3-6 you dont deserve to make the playoffs but all in all the program was successful under him.

I didn't realize that they were 2-7, I looked up their scores and just didn't pay attention to the number of W's. I saw that there were some close ones (Mexia in OT). What are they going to have coming back? I don't perceive that district to be that tough with the exception of Marlin, not bashing the rest, that is just the way that it seems to me.

mwynn05
11-14-2005, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by BU97
I didn't realize that they were 2-7, I looked up their scores and just didn't pay attention to the number of W's. I saw that there were some close ones (Mexia in OT). What are they going to have coming back? I don't perceive that district to be that tough with the exception of Marlin, not bashing the rest, that is just the way that it seems to me. The whole district except for Marlin sucked and almost everyone will be back they were young

texasjeremy
11-15-2005, 07:41 AM
It was past time for Armstrong to go.

3afan
11-15-2005, 07:56 AM
... if you go 3-6 you dont deserve to make the playoffs ...

IMO, if the system lets the 1-2-3 teams in then if you finish 1-2-3 then you certainly deserve to go to the playoffs no matter what your overall record is ... again, IMO

there are a handful of teams who entered the playoffs with losing records who beat teams with winning records ... that tells me those teams deserved to be in the playoffs just as much as anyone.

BU97
11-15-2005, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by texasjeremy
It was past time for Armstrong to go.

How long was he there?

mwynn05
11-15-2005, 12:25 PM
He just finished his 5th season making the playoffs in 3 of them

texasjeremy
11-15-2005, 12:33 PM
When the players turn on you, its time to move on.

mwynn05
11-15-2005, 12:37 PM
When the players turn on you, its time to move on. What do you mean the players turn on you?

eagle2
11-15-2005, 12:48 PM
Was he asked to resign or did he offer it on his own? or Did he do something that led to his dismissal?

mwynn05
11-15-2005, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by eagle2
Was he asked to resign or did he offer it on his own? or Did he do something that led to his dismissal? I don't know

mwynn05
11-16-2005, 02:22 PM
Fairfield’s Armstrong reassigned
SCOTT TYLER - Palestine Herald-Press

FAIRFIELD — After spending 20 years with the Fairfield Eagles, David Armstrong was told that it was time for a change.

On Friday morning, Armstrong, Fairfield’s head coach and athletic director for the last five years, was told by Fairfield Independent School District Superintendent Tony Price that he was being reassigned and would not return as the head football coach or athletic director next year.

“It has been a great run,” Armstrong said. “I would not trade the last 20 years for anything.”

Price would not comment on the reason why Armstrong was being reassigned.

“It came as a surprise, I did not see it coming,” Armstrong said Tuesday afternoon. “They told me it was time for a change and I respect that.”

Fairfield had its struggles this football season, finishing the year with a 2-7 record but the Eagles did have a chance in their final game to make the playoffs, but lost to Madisonville 21-14.

“Obviously the win-loss record is important, but I was told it did not factor into it,” Armstrong said. “I am not sure why the change occurred but I want to make sure people know I have not done anything wrong and there are no skeletons in the closet.”

Armstrong said he is unsure what the future will hold for him. Armstrong’s daughter currently is a junior at Fairfield and he said he and his wife want to see her graduate from Fairfield.

“Right now I have no plans, we are going to wait and see,” Armstrong said. “If I said I would not look around, I would be cheating myself, but that would not happen (until) at least after the first of the year.”

If Armstrong decides to stay at Fairfield, he said he is unsure where he would be reassigned.

As for the position, Price said it would be posted sometime in the next week and will remain open for over a month.

“We hope to have someone by February or March but it is going to take time because we want to find the right person,” Price said.

Price also said he appreciated everything Armstrong did for the school in the last 20 years.

The stop in Fairfield was Armstrong’s fifth in eight years as a high school coach, but he found a home with the Eagles.

Armstrong spent 15 years as an assistant coach under Randy Angel, including spending time as the defensive coordinator. Armstrong also coached track and powerlifting during those 15 years. When Angel retired after 2000, Armstrong got his first head coaching job.

“When I was in high school I knew all I wanted to be was a head football coach,” Armstrong said. “When I got the opportunity to be the head football coach at Fairfield, it was a dream come true.”

In his first year as the Eagle head coach in 2001, Fairfield went 0-10, but Armstrong and his team had a quick turnaround going 11-2 in 2002 and making it to the third round of the playoffs.

That playoff appearance sparked three straight years in the postseason but that streak ended this year.

“Those three years in the playoffs were great and even this year, even though we did not have a good record, was great,” Armstrong said.

In his five years as the Fairfield head coach, Armstrong held a 29-26 record.

“I have no regrets and if it is time for it to come to an end, then it is time,” Armstrong said. “The administration and everybody else in Fairfield has been great to me.”

————

Scott Tyler may be contacted via e-mail at styler@palestineherald.com
http://www.corsicanadailysun.com/sports/local_story_320113757.html

eagles_victory
11-16-2005, 02:51 PM
When the players turn on you, its time to move on. The players never turned on him.

mwynn05
11-16-2005, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
The players never turned on him. Yeah I know I was thinking the same thing

texasjeremy
11-16-2005, 04:31 PM
Hopefully, this time Fairfield won't feel the need to hire from within and go out and get a quality coach. FISD has the money, go get someone good.

mwynn05
11-16-2005, 04:37 PM
Hopefully, this time Fairfield won't feel the need to hire from within and go out and get a quality coach. FISD has the money, go get someone good. Not really we lose a lot of money because of robin-hood

texasjeremy
11-16-2005, 04:40 PM
Not really we lose a lot of money because of robin-hood

Yes, if you pay out to robin hood, it means the money is there. FISD definitly has the money will all the gas plants in the area. Same is true with the other Freestone county schools, i believe the richest school district per student in the state is Dew ISD.

mwynn05
11-16-2005, 08:30 PM
Yes, if you pay out to robin hood, it means the money is there. FISD definitly has the money will all the gas plants in the area. Same is true with the other Freestone county schools, i believe the richest school district per student in the state is Dew ISD. You don't understand we have had to cut back teachers and stuff the past few years because of robin-hood. We have had a lot of teachers leave and just not replace them because of it. The money is there but we have to give it all away and by the time we set our budget there isnt a whole lot of money left.

eagles_victory
11-16-2005, 08:39 PM
FISD dosen't have as much money as everyone thinks. Were not going to go out and pay much more then we paid Armstrong things are tight enough as it is. If you have ever been to one of our football games we don't ever have as many assistant coaches as the other teams.

BeastoftheEast
11-16-2005, 09:30 PM
It's a sad day when a guy makes the playoffs 3 out of 5 years and has a winning record and he gets fired. That does not say much for Fairfield ISD.

eagles_victory
11-16-2005, 09:34 PM
It's only the superintendent (sp?). Hes been the most succesful coach Fairfield has had. A lot of people aren't very happy about it.

mwynn05
11-16-2005, 09:43 PM
I wanna know why texas jeremy says he lost control of the team or whatever because that's crap