PDA

View Full Version : Graham Wylie

hsguru
11-10-2002, 03:20 PM
Who wins this one? I was in California and missed the first tilt, ao I am anxious to see this rematch. I have heard alot of people say Wylie was fortunate to win after the way they played that game. Are the Bulldogs playing better now? Will the Steers dominate?

wildstangs
11-10-2002, 04:17 PM
From what I hear, Wylie did get some lucky breaks the first time around. I believe though that Wylie will take it this time. The Dawgs dont get bounced from the playoffs two year in a row in the first round.

eye of the tiger
11-10-2002, 04:56 PM
I think this is going to be one of the better match-ups in round one. My success rate this year on picking winners has been less than spectatular so Ill just say good luck to both teams and hope it is a safe hard hitting game like I think it will be.

longhorns25
11-10-2002, 05:26 PM
Wylie got some real good breaks in the first game. I dont know how much better they have got. But all I know is Graham has got a lot better and will come out on top and win in the first round for the first time in 4 years.

vet93
11-10-2002, 11:31 PM
This ought to be a great game. Gotta back our district and go with the Bulldogs on this one. Either way, it should be close!

Jacket2000
11-10-2002, 11:55 PM
I didnt see Wylie/Graham round 1, but I have seen both teams this season, and I have to give the nod to Graham. I was very impressed by the Steers, while I was quite disappoined by Wylie.
Graham by 14.
J2K

VWG
11-11-2002, 12:32 PM
No doubt about it this is a great matchup for Round 1.
I didn't see the first game but it seems as if Wylie won the first half, Graham won the second half, and the game could have been an OT game if Graham would've connected on PAT's.
The last minutes of the game punt fiasco could very well be thrown into the mix.
Anyway... great matchup and I have to say both teams look good. The Steers offense has been very productive even with key injuries. They've got soph. RB who has stepped up the last few games and is a tough runner. The O-line is dominating and wears people down in the second half...(look at Breckenridge, Vernon, and Iowa Park). Their QB is a talented senior who runs well, and a receiving corps that is quick with a huge tight end. Graham's defense comes in as a weak spot, I believe. Their D. Ends are great big monsters who tackle, but their secondary is suspect, and their tackles need to dominate more of the line of scrimmage.
Wylie comes in on a roll. Easy district... except for Ballinger. I think that during early this year they were a Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde team. They have good size, decent speed and are well coached. I don't know about their injuries to any key players. Wylie needs to contain the Graham offense, period, end of story. If they can hold Graham, who will pass and run, then they can take control. Wylie can and will score on Graham.
If it comes down to the kicking game, Graham has a kid with a cannon. Has hit from over 40+ yds. this year, and punts for about a 40yd. avg. as well.
I don't know if the turf will help either team, and the 14 pt. pick of Graham is a little bold for me. I call this a toss up game. Graham has won 4 straight dist. championships but also have 4 straight "one and out" playoff runs, including a close game a few years ago to Wylie. Wylie got bounced early last year and Sandifer is a great coach.
Good luck to both teams and see y'all at the game!

whsfan
11-11-2002, 06:02 PM
Lucky? First game really didn't look like a good performance by either team. Wylie makes two quick scores and then sits still on offense the rest of the night. A couple of bad breaks and Graham finds a way to get back into the game. Wylie really didn't look very lucky to me. Just hung on to get the win. Look for a much improved team to square off against the Steers on Friday night. Wylie by 7 in a hard fought battle.

vet93
11-11-2002, 06:39 PM
Unless the stats were wrong at the KTXS website, it seemed that Wylie had more total yardage than the Steers did. Statistically it didn't look like a domination by the Steers. If those stats were wrong then I will be the first to apologize because I didn't go to the game.

whsfan:
Lucky? First game really didn't look like a good performance by either team. Wylie makes two quick scores and then sits still on offense the rest of the night. A couple of bad breaks and Graham finds a way to get back into the game. Wylie really didn't look very lucky to me. Just hung on to get the win. Look for a much improved team to square off against the Steers on Friday night. Wylie by 7 in a hard fought battle.

Ozzy
11-11-2002, 09:25 PM
you've got to look at history in this contest. the steers have not been a playoff powerhouse in quite some time. past experience says that the steers are very one-dimensional offensively in playoff contests. if they can get the run going, they have a chance. but if they get behind and are forced to throw, they are in trouble. Wylie, on the other hand, has historically been a balanced team offensively and usually plays good defense. they also have several playoff wins under their belt in the past 3 years. hugh loves to run trick plays in big games. look for the "belly bum" or the "hitch and pitch" to come into play. i see the bulldogs edging the steers by 4.

Z motion 10 out on 2
11-12-2002, 03:10 AM
I'm a Vernon fan so I got a chance to see Graham play against us. Their O-line plays very well-- probably their finest unit on the field. They will get 4 or five yards just straight up the middle almost every time. Long, patient, time consuming drives. I agree that they tent to wear down the opponent. If someone has time to research this, I bet they score twice as much in the 2nd half as the first. Their TE will also catch some quick passes. Against Vernon, their pass blocking was suspect though. Of course they didn’t need to pass too often while making 5 yards a carry. Oh yes, they go for it on fourth down if it is about 3 yards or less--made everyone against Vernon. That quick pass to the TE connected 3 out of 3 times. He is big but has soft hands. Graham seems to keep it simple and do what they do well. It is hard to stop them. I haven't seen Wylie play this year so I can't really give a good prediction, but Graham certainly has my respect as a good football team.

FanMan
11-13-2002, 09:57 AM
I was at the first game and the best play that was called all night was the punt, in which Wylie was lucky enough to have the ball hit a Graham player. Unless Wylie "wakes up" and decides that they would like to go further than the first round of the palyoffs, this could get ugly quick. I am a Wylie fan, just unsure how much this team "wants it". I am going to have to go with Graham in this game. Graham at least has the "revenge factor" to use as motivation.

ClydeFan
11-18-2002, 03:21 PM
Wylie, congratulations on your win! Good luck against Everman!