PDA

View Full Version : Wylie Pre-District Schedule??????

Nikeguy
02-04-2004, 05:08 PM
Has anyone heard whay the Wylie pre-district schedule might be?

Adidas410s
02-04-2004, 06:51 PM
man I've been looking everywhere for it and no luck yet. I havent been able to get in touch with Sandifer either. The only things that I have found are Midland Greenwood @ home for the opener (probably Week 0) and Vernon...no clue as to where and/or when!

wildstangs
02-04-2004, 08:57 PM
An earlier post from a Decatur fan says they will be playing A. Wylie as well. Hope its in Abilene.

<small>[ February 04, 2004, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: wildstangs ]</small>

dogfish58
02-04-2004, 10:32 PM
Adidas410s:
man I've been looking everywhere for it and no luck yet. I havent been able to get in touch with Sandifer either. The only things that I have found are Midland Greenwood @ home for the opener (probably Week 0) and Vernon...no clue as to where and/or when!0 week is SA Lakeview, then in no particular order: Midland Greenwood, Vernon, Aledo, Graham, and Decatur.

bearcat1
02-04-2004, 11:11 PM
Nikeguy:
Has anyone heard whay the Wylie pre-district schedule might be?I think you Wylie folks are gonna have a real fun season.

bc

VWG
02-04-2004, 11:11 PM
Graham and A. Wylie will be matching up for 2004 and 2005. Graham will also play FW South Hills and Decatur in pre-season.
With some of the five team districts that the UIL has put teams like Vernon, Graham, Sweetwater, A.Wylie, Snyder, etc.. it will be very interesting to see how the pre-district schedules look.

Nikeguy
02-05-2004, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the update dogfish 58. If Wylie can make it through that schedule (pre-district and district), which I am sure that Coach Sanidfier will have them ready, we could expect to be watching this team play through December.

CatWoman
02-05-2004, 10:25 AM
Nikeguy:
Thanks for the update dogfish 58. If Wylie can make it through that schedule (pre-district and district), which I am sure that Coach Sanidfier will have them ready, we could expect to be watching this team play through December.I couldn't agree more. Last year was supposed to be "re-building time" for the Bulldogs and look where they landed. As I mentioned in an earlier post, Wylie will be hanging around come December.

Nikeguy
02-05-2004, 04:44 PM
Catwoman, I have learned that you have to be real careful when Sandifer says it's a rebuilding year. As someone from Clyde once told me, "just having Sandifer as your head coach gets you 14-21pts." I know that Abilene High fans would trade their coach for ours and throw in some other incentives for Wylie to take the deal.

I never thought that Wylie would go that far, I wasn't even surprised by the Clyde loss. However, I couldn't believe how things ended up either. We are losing some starters, but return most of the "core group" and having a quaterback that's another year older and has a year of varsity experience should help.

I know that Ballinger graduated quite a few and most of them starters, how do you feel the Bearcats will do next year?

CatWoman
02-05-2004, 05:37 PM
Nikeguy:
Catwoman, I have learned that you have to be real careful when Sandifer says it's a rebuilding year. As someone from Clyde once told me, "just having Sandifer as your head coach gets you 14-21pts." I know that Abilene High fans would trade their coach for ours and throw in some other incentives for Wylie to take the deal.

I never thought that Wylie would go that far, I wasn't even surprised by the Clyde loss. However, I couldn't believe how things ended up either. We are losing some starters, but return most of the "core group" and having a quaterback that's another year older and has a year of varsity experience should help.

I know that Ballinger graduated quite a few and most of them starters, how do you feel the Bearcats will do next year?We are going into a very rough 2A district and we lose "the house" to graduation with a very small Jr. class coming up, so we will be young. But you know Ballinger is always scrappy and we should be able to compete well.

Z motion 10 out on 2
02-06-2004, 12:31 AM
Yes, this has to be the toughest nondistrict schedule I have seen.

vet93
02-06-2004, 10:38 AM
Nikeguy and catwoman...I hope you don't mind me jumping in with my .02. On paper Ballinger is very thin with returning starters. We have very few juniors (next years senior) who are even playing football. For that reason alone It looks like the Bearcats will have a rebuilding year. However, 3 years ago when we had a similar circumstance in Coach Owens first year the team ended up 9-2 (losing to Wylie and Bridgeport). Our 7th through 10th grade classes competed very well with our 7-9th grade only losing a couple of games all season. The future is bright for the Bearcats but this year could be difficult with the pre-district schedule that we have along with picking up Bangs and Jim Ned in district.

Nikeguy:

I know that Ballinger graduated quite a few and most of them starters, how do you feel the Bearcats will do next year?

CatWoman
02-06-2004, 11:04 AM
Vet, I don't mind at all, I like to hear your thoughts. Speaking of the current Jr. class, there is 1 or 2 that I think should be playing football and 1 in particular is a really good athlete. In your opinion, do you think we will have a lot of Soph. on the team next year?

vet93
02-06-2004, 12:31 PM
Without question...I think that we will have to pull up probably 5-6 sophs to help fill some gaps and have some quality depth. It is kind of dissappointing because sophopmores (unless they are starting) really do get a lot of good work on the J.V. This is only my opinion, I haven't spoken with anyone or looked at the roster/depth chart.

CatWoman:
Vet, I don't mind at all, I like to hear your thoughts. Speaking of the current Jr. class, there is 1 or 2 that I think should be playing football and 1 in particular is a really good athlete. In your opinion, do you think we will have a lot of Soph. on the team next year?

oh well
02-06-2004, 02:11 PM
Wylie has 3 starters back on offense 3 starters on defense. There were several starters that were Seniors last year that stepped up and made that play-off run. Not sure how there JV finished I know it was below average for Wylie. They will have some holes to fill.

CatWoman
02-06-2004, 02:21 PM
Would it be unheard of to have a Freshman or two. There were a couple of 8th graders that were awsome. I know that that would be rather unique for Ballinger. Only 1 comes to mind and that is Jerry Wayne who started at linebacker his Freshman year and played some fullback. I just don't know if the coaching staff would consider any Freshmen!??

hound22
02-06-2004, 02:23 PM
I understand that one of those 3 returning starters is a two way starter. The QB for wylie is not even going to be considered to be the best QB in the disrict anymore.

<small>[ February 06, 2004, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: hound22 ]</small>

oh well
02-06-2004, 02:27 PM
who is the best QB then your JV QB HOUND SHS

hound22
02-06-2004, 02:37 PM
oh well:
who is the best QB then your JV QB HOUND SHSWell if you must Know , In my humble oppinion there are three QBs who are possible #1 (best in 4-3A) QBs.. They include in no possible order the Snyder QB who threw for over 1500 yds in only 8 games for the 9-1 JV before moving up to the varsity ( I think his last Name is Reigh ). The QB for Merkle is also very good ( lampert ) and then you also have the Thompson kid form Sweetwater who was very good too.

vet93
02-06-2004, 02:39 PM
I am fairly familiar with the qb's in this district because I have seen every team play in person with the exception of Sweetwater. I can't think of a team that has a better returning starter than Keenum at Wylie. Does the kid from Merkel who was qb in the playoffs come back? He was pretty good but he doesn't have the overall skills of Keenum. I didn't see anyone for Clyde and Snyder that I thought could beat out Keenum. I guess that leaves Sweetater...they have some talented kids but nobody with the experience, run/pass threat and decision making talents of the Wylie qb. Just my non-biased .02.

hound22:
I understand that one of those 3 returning starters is a two way starter. The QB for wylie is not even going to be considered to be the best QB in the disrict anymore.

vet93
02-06-2004, 02:44 PM
I was very impressed with Lampert in the Greenwood game. He is quick as a cat and can chunk the ball but I just don't think that he has the ability to pick apart a defense and take what the defense gives like the Wylie qb. He is more elusive but is not as accurate in his throws. I saw the Wylie/Snyder game and the kid who was starting was not the one that you mentioned. Are you talking about #13. He seemed to have a good arm in the warm-ups and looks like a good prospect, but that is a far cry from a qb who lead his team as the starter to the semi-finals.

hound22:

oh well:
who is the best QB then your JV QB HOUND SHSWell if you must Know , In my humble oppinion there are three QBs who are possible #1 (best in 4-3A) QBs.. They include in no possible order the Snyder QB who threw for over 1500 yds in only 8 games for the 9-1 JV before moving up to the varsity ( I think his last Name is Reigh ). The QB for Merkle is also very good ( lampert ) and then you also have the Thompson kid form Sweetwater who was very good too.

oh well
02-06-2004, 02:46 PM
The young man from Merkel is good. He was the District 3-3A MVP playing both ways, with the Sweetwater Qb being the District offesive MVP not to mention another Carrillo that could get the nod next season. None of these QB's had the support staff that the Wylie QB had.

hound22
02-06-2004, 02:58 PM
vet93:
I was very impressed with Lampert in the Greenwood game. He is quick as a cat and can chunk the ball but I just don't think that he has the ability to pick apart a defense and take what the defense gives like the Wylie qb. He is more elusive but is not as accurate in his throws. I saw the Wylie/Snyder game and the kid who was starting was not the one that you mentioned. Are you talking about #13. He seemed to have a good arm in the warm-ups and looks like a good prospect, but that is a far cry from a qb who lead his team as the starter to the semi-finals.

hound22:

oh well:
who is the best QB then your JV QB HOUND SHSWell if you must Know , In my humble oppinion there are three QBs who are possible #1 (best in 4-3A) QBs.. They include in no possible order the Snyder QB who threw for over 1500 yds in only 8 games for the 9-1 JV before moving up to the varsity ( I think his last Name is Reigh ). The QB for Merkle is also very good ( lampert ) and then you also have the Thompson kid form Sweetwater who was very good too.Well you Know you dance with the one that brought you to the dance. The word is the #13 from snyder was in many ways better than the starter at that particular time but when its a toss up you got to go with the one who got you to the big game.

vet93
02-06-2004, 02:59 PM
I think that one thing that may cause some not to believe the Keenum kid is not the real deas is that he is not flashy. What I liked about him even as a sohpomore is that he didn't make plays that hurt his team. His decison making was good. Sometimes the Lampert kid, because he is so talented could lose some yards because he would try to win the game with his feet. And, while Wylie may have had more numbers than some of the schools that we are talking about...I saw some pretty darn good cast members on both Snyder and Merkel.

oh well
02-06-2004, 03:06 PM
vet93, I agree with what your are saying no one is saying he is not good. I think this District will have 5 of the best Qbs in 3A and they Wylie young amn is one of them. There was a QB that lost yardage for Sweetwater in 2002 then the next play he would go for 80+ the Merkel kid is that type of athlete. It will be exciting played all of them except Clyde not sure about the QB maybe you can help me out there?

vet93
02-06-2004, 03:23 PM
I agree...and I am certainly not downgrading the talents of the other kids. I just felt like last year that Keenum did the best job of putting his team in a position to win (or not to lose!). I also understand your point about Carrillo from Sweetwater. I am not sure about Clyde...I think that they have alot of kids graduating. The heart of their team last year was in the running game with a couple of good backs (although they did try and run the spread until the Wylie game). I don't think that they will return anyone with the talent of the kids that we have been discussing. I kind of feel for Clyde. If they had been put in any other west texas district they would have had a much greater chance of making the playoffs. I hope that they can put things together this year and make a strong push...but the deck is stacked against them.

oh well:
vet93, I agree with what your are saying no one is saying he is not good. I think this District will have 5 of the best Qbs in 3A and they Wylie young amn is one of them. There was a QB that lost yardage for Sweetwater in 2002 then the next play he would go for 80+ the Merkel kid is that type of athlete. It will be exciting played all of them except Clyde not sure about the QB maybe you can help me out there?

vet93
02-06-2004, 03:25 PM
Sorry...double post

<small>[ February 06, 2004, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: vet93 ]</small>

Nikeguy
02-06-2004, 03:54 PM
Well, I saw most of the quaterbacks in this district and Keenum is by far in another league compared to the rest of the other QBs.

Snyder has a good young QB coming, but he wasn't their varsity quaterback. You just can't beat experience.

Sweetwater - another good quaterback, but the system he's in (i.e. option is a benefit) requires him to be more of an extension at running back. Always scared to see a Carillo coming. Seems like there's always a Carillo at Sweetwater and a Posey at Ballinger.

Merkel - I believe that their quaterback was a senior (as was most of the team). It'll be interesting to see what their coaching staff can do in a rebuilding year.

Clyde - another good quaterback that we faced, while all he did was hand off to the running backs in their vistory against us. They never used him before that game or after. It'll be a little more interesting this year.

The thing about coach Sandifer is that while he may start the seniors, they may not be the ones getting all the playing time. We'll certainly have our share of seniors to replace, but don't let the numbers deceive you. In regards to our JV, those kids are typically either Sophmores or Juniors that will never see the field on Varsity. If you want to see the next in line at Wylie, look to the Juniors that were on the Varsity.

oh well
02-06-2004, 04:48 PM
There is still several 8 on off. & 9 on Defense to replace. The Merkel QB was a JR. and by far one of the best Athletes/Qb that will be in the District next year. He did not paly QB until the last part of the season and then into the playoffsSweetwater beat Wylie last season in which the Wylie QB was picked 2 or 3 times

<small>[ February 06, 2004, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: oh well ]</small>

hound22
02-06-2004, 04:49 PM
Nikeguy:
Well, I saw most of the quaterbacks in this district and Keenum is by far in another league compared to the rest of the other QBs.

Snyder has a good young QB coming, but he wasn't their varsity quaterback. You just can't beat experience.

Sweetwater - another good quaterback, but the system he's in (i.e. option is a benefit) requires him to be more of an extension at running back. Always scared to see a Carillo coming. Seems like there's always a Carillo at Sweetwater and a Posey at Ballinger.

Merkel - I believe that their quaterback was a senior (as was most of the team). It'll be interesting to see what their coaching staff can do in a rebuilding year.

Clyde - another good quaterback that we faced, while all he did was hand off to the running backs in their vistory against us. They never used him before that game or after. It'll be a little more interesting this year.

The thing about coach Sandifer is that while he may start the seniors, they may not be the ones getting all the playing time. We'll certainly have our share of seniors to replace, but don't let the numbers deceive you. In regards to our JV, those kids are typically either Sophmores or Juniors that will never see the field on Varsity. If you want to see the next in line at Wylie, look to the Juniors that were on the Varsity.Well Now. sophs and Junior on the JV.. Thats how it always is on Just about every JV.... It almost sounds like your saying that Saniford Just starts the Sr and mostly plays Juniors. I doubt thats really the case. I have to agree with Oh well. Last year the wylie kid was surounded with more talent than the others mentioned. I guess the season will settle it. personaly I think He may end up with a second team all district.

<small>[ February 06, 2004, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: hound22 ]</small>

VWG
02-06-2004, 10:17 PM
On the QB issue, I don't think it's fair to compare quarterbacks that play in totally diff. systems.
Sandifer likes to run multiple sets, with some emphasis on the pass. Jackson(Sweetwater) likes to run a varied wishbone with other sets, and the QB is more of a run first then pass.
Wylie has the numbers... they are one of the largest schools in the whole state in 3A.
With those types of numbers you reload.
Usually you can look at your JV record and see how things could be next year, but you also have to see how many juniors or even sophomores were seeing action on the varsity level.

wildstangs
02-06-2004, 10:46 PM
In my opinion, Riley Lambert is the most dangerous QB coming back next year. He is pretty much all Merkel has coming back. I feel like he will be the league MVP next year, simply because he will lead Merkel, without the great group of athletes to back him up (as Keenum will have at Wylie). Keenum improved drastically from the Sweetwater game, so comparing those stats arent fair to him. I am sure he will have a pretty good year next year. However I think by the time he is a senior, he will be one of the top QB's in 3A, if not the state....But what do I know!