PDA

View Full Version : DMN - Speed pays off for Madison

3afan
11-14-2005, 07:03 AM
LINK (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/highschools/topstories/stories/111405dnspohsmadison.6b816b6.html)

Speed pays off for Madison
Track stars adapt their ability, title aspirations for use on football field

10:55 PM CST on Sunday, November 13, 2005
By EVAN MILLAR / The Dallas Morning News

As Van Alstyne's defense swarmed Shawnbrey McNeal on Friday, the Madison tailback appeared headed for a minimal gain.

But the junior quickly reversed field and ran to his right, turning a 3-yard scamper into 39-yard gain that left most of Van Alstyne's defenders in his dust.

If Van Alstyne felt like it was in a middle of a track meet during the 48-7 playoff loss, it is understandable. McNeal and senior receiver Phillip Sterling, who had a 59-yard touchdown reception, are state-champion sprinters.

That speed simplifies the game plan for Madison (9-1), which faces Mount Vernon (6-5) Friday night in Greenville in the Class 3A Division II Region II area round.

"We give the ball to Phillip," coach Ronald Johnson said, "or we give the ball to Shawnbrey."

Johnson said Madison has not had a player as fast as these two since 1990, when receiver Marcus Gates who is now defensive coordinator – ran the 400 meters and was timed at 4.3 seconds in the 40-yard dash.

McNeal won the Class 3A 100-meter state title in the spring, in 10.50 seconds. He anchored the 4x100 relay team as a freshman in 2004, when Madison won the state title (41.70 seconds) for the first time since 1993.

Sterling ran second leg on that team as a sophomore and finished sixth in the 200 (22.39 seconds) in 2005. He has six touchdown catches, including ones of 57 and 59 yards and has a 65-yard punt return and a 24-yard run for scores.

"I can blow by any corner," Sterling said of his mind-set on the field. "I don't think there is a corner in the state that could stop me."

Cornerbacks struggle to stop McNeal as well. Sterling said McNeal (1,172 yards, 16 touchdowns) runs by defensive backs as he does opponents as anchor of the 4x100 team.

McNeal began track in middle school and continued when Madison assistant football coach and track coach Randall Johnson told him track would improve his football skills.

Although McNeal cherishes his track titles, what he wants most is to help bring Madison a football championship.

"It takes a team to win a state championship in football," McNeal said, "but only an individual to win one in track."

McNeal and Sterling give Madison the talent to make another deep playoff run. All the Saturday morning training on the track – Sterling helps McNeal on his starts and McNeal helps Sterling down the straightaway – is paying off on the field. So who is faster?

"He'll beat me in the 100," Sterling said. "But I'll get him in the 200."

[i]E-mail emillar@dallasnews.com [/b]

Madison (9-1) vs. Mount Vernon (6-5), Class 3A Division II area round, 7:30 p.m. Friday, Greenville

Aesculus gilmus
11-14-2005, 08:15 AM
No one in East Texas takes this team seriously. Mount Vernon is about to find out for the second year "running" (which they can't do very well compared to DM) that Madison is the real deal. I only hope Gilmer doesn't dismiss the reality of this threat to its chance of repeating a few weeks from now.

3afan
11-14-2005, 08:16 AM
i'm sure the folks that matter are taking DM very seriously ...

JR2004
11-14-2005, 03:06 PM
These kids for Madison sure are fast. I hope that they can just keep getting better and improving each week on offense so all the pressure won't be on the defense to have to win the game. That run on Friday by McNeil that the DMN mentioned was really exciting.

Rabbit'93
11-14-2005, 03:09 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing these guys in the near future.

JR2004
11-14-2005, 03:13 PM
Which game are you thinking about attending?