PDA

View Full Version : DI vs DII

Astrosdawg07
11-13-2005, 02:01 PM
Is it just me or does it seem like DII may have the best teams in the state?

Gobbla2001
11-13-2005, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07

I wouldn't really say either divisions top 2 or so is better than the other divisions top 2 or whatever have you...

As for which division has more teams of a higher caliber, I'd have to say division 2, and it is mostly because division 2 has double the teams in it than division 1 :)

shankbear
11-13-2005, 02:11 PM
I would love to see the coaches at WO-S and Barbers Hill get the stones and put each other on the schedule. It is overdue. We all would find out who is overrated. D1 v. DII....do it at Stallworth.

RBARKER
11-13-2005, 02:11 PM
I think Div II is stronger this year. Div I in the past has seemed to have a very dominate team in it, but this year it is up for grabs who will win Div I. This also goes for Div II, but the teams that are in Div II this year are a stronger bunch IMHO.

Gobbla2001
11-13-2005, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by shankbear
I would love to see the coaches at WO-S and Barbers Hill get the stones and put each other on the schedule. It is overdue. We all would find out who is overrated. D1 v. DII....do it at Stallworth.

No disrespect to either team, but wouldn't they have to consistantly win the State Championship in both divisions for us to find out which division is overrated??? And since teams jump in between the two divisions yearly, wouldn't it kind of be a mute point?

This just seems to me to be a year by year argument, can't judge it overall or use a different year to judge it... but this is just me:D

shankbear
11-13-2005, 02:19 PM
I just want to see these 2 square off. Yup, in 3A they have no history deep in the playoffs but there seems to be an underlying "thang" between the 2 teams and supporters. They could be Finals representatives in their divisions this year if the chips fall right.

WOS1
11-13-2005, 02:21 PM
Imagine that, the 2 voting for DII both are fans of teams in DII... this is another one of those homer threads.:D

Gobbla2001
11-13-2005, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by WOS1
Imagine that, the 2 voting for DII both are fans of teams in DII... this is another one of those homer threads.:D

Ha, nah, not homering here, I said the same thing last year when we were D1...

it's all about numbers :D

sweetwater07
11-13-2005, 02:44 PM
D2 way stronger than D1 this year for sure.....region 3 is loaded with D2 schools...region 4 not too bad either....

Old Tiger
11-13-2005, 02:45 PM
"Division I is better cause of the enrollment!" Old Cardinal

Jody
11-13-2005, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Astrosdawg07

No question about that. Why do you think WOS won it's first game?

wos fan1
11-13-2005, 04:45 PM
Yea Yea Yea!! You lost to Kirbyville last year!! :D

shankbear
11-13-2005, 04:50 PM
I think the hill boyz will spank k'ville this time 'round.

garageoffice
11-13-2005, 05:05 PM
It's really difficult to compare DI and DII with each other in general terms because of the differences in enrollment. Just some examples:

District 1-3A:
DI - Canyon - 864
DII - Borger - 832

District 8-3A:
DI - West - 555
DII - Whitney - 450

District 13-3A:
DI - Gladewater - 632
DII - Gilmer - 629
Pittsburg - 628

District 16-3A:
DI - Carthage - 860
DII - Tatum - 392
White Oak - 399

Even though numbers don't tell the whole story (I know that debate has raged on the downlow before) when you take into account the overall program and tradition, there is something to be said, in general, about the positive advantages of having more potential athletes to choose from.

It seems strange to arbitrarily take the largest qualifying school from each district as a DI representative when that school might still be much smaller than even the DII representatives from most other districts. Sometimes the difference between DI and DII is only a couple of kids, other times it's a matter of hundreds.

Don't guess it really matters, though. It's just a gimmick to get more schools in the playoffs, anyway, and as another thread pointed out it's still better than what most other states have.

wos fan1
11-13-2005, 05:06 PM
Good post.

BigTex
11-13-2005, 05:25 PM
Division II will almost always have "better" teams, but it is purely a numbers game, but not because they have twice the teams. Division II should get better teams because regardless who wins the district championship, (and they should be the best teams) the biggest school goes D-I simply because they are the biggest. The big school may be the champions OR the 2nd place team OR even the 3rd place finisher. So the odds that the BEST team from a district is also the biggest is not a 50/50 deal. I have not gone through the play-off bracket to see how many Champions ended up in each division, but I am sure somebody on here will do that for fun and a good argument!:D I am too lazy!:rolleyes:

WOS1
11-13-2005, 06:12 PM
Of the 3 districts I know about, only 1 had the big school team be the district champ. While it's common sense that DII will be tougher simply because of more teams and an extra game. There is no way to judge which champion is actually the best without them playing. No way... no how. As I said earlier, this thread will not have much objectivity, with the exception of the Cuero guy, it will 100% homer. If you notice, the guys going DII are saying, "Oh yeah, DII no doubt", and nothing to back that statement up.

lostaussie
11-13-2005, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by BigTex
I have not gone through the play-off bracket to see how many Champions ended up in each division, but I am sure somebody on here will do that for fun and a good argument!:D I am too lazy!:rolleyes: i am too lazy also. but, that is a great question. somebody help!!!!!!!!!!

Old Tiger
11-13-2005, 06:17 PM
They should rethink the way they do DI and DII. The district champion should be DI so that the all the best teams play each other

JasperDog94
11-13-2005, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
They should rethink the way they do DI and DII. The district champion should be DI so that the all the best teams play each other That would destroy the point of D1 & D2. (which would make a lot of people happy) You would basically have a winners bracket and a losers bracket.

Old Tiger
11-13-2005, 06:55 PM
I prefer the term Consolation bracket ;) :D

JasperDog94
11-13-2005, 06:58 PM
That would be more politically correct, but I prefer the numerous ways that Ace Ventura says loser.:D

lostaussie
11-13-2005, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
That would destroy the point of D1 & D2. (which would make a lot of people happy) You would basically have a winners bracket and a losers bracket. agreed. if all district winners were dI, there would be no point of dII.

Jody
11-13-2005, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by wos fan1
Yea Yea Yea!! You lost to Kirbyville last year!! :D

Hey now, until you guys are out of it (next week) I have to get my plugs......:D :D

RBARKER
11-13-2005, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Jody
No question about that. Why do you think WOS won it's first game?

Now I don't care who you are thats funny:D

Is it just me or does every thread turn into a WOS/BH dual :thinking:

shankbear
11-13-2005, 07:12 PM
That's why I keep BEGGING for the matchup of the Sabine River v. Old River.