PDA

View Full Version : Palestine/WO-S matchup

shankbear
11-13-2005, 01:08 AM
OK, what is the early line on the big Palestine/WO-S game?? From seeing this weekend's performances, it does not appear that playing defense matters as much as it used to for either WO-S or for Palestine. The scoreboards were lit up this weekend. The stupid penalties have to stop. Yup, the big plays have definitely benefited WO-S and Palestine. Score predictions at this early hour please.

TexasFtblexpert
11-13-2005, 01:09 AM
WOS 37 Palestine 19

wos fan1
11-13-2005, 01:10 AM
WO-S 42 Palestine 28. I think our Defense will play well. This is a big game for our DC Coach Thompson who was at Palestine for a couple of years.

chaingang
11-13-2005, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by TexasFtblexpert
WOS 37 Palestine 19
\

Expert?:thinking:

3 posts?:thinking: :D

BigTex
11-13-2005, 01:17 AM
WOS - 48
Palestine - 35

exbccards76'smom
11-13-2005, 06:27 AM
The crew we had Friday night was bad...There was a official crew running the chains; they had to stop the game to get the chains untangled. First time I have seen that.

Sandman
11-13-2005, 09:42 AM
Coach Thompson hasn't faired too well the two times he has faced Palestine since he left. But then again Adrian Peterson was carrying out a personal vendetta against him rushing for 646 yards and 8 touchdowns in those two games combined. I think at West Orange-Stark he has better athletes than he did those years at Huntsville, and instead of AD the Wildcats have a three headed monster at running back, and a passing game that has been running smoothly most of the year. The Palestine Defense has been up and down all year. There are I believe nine juniors on defense and against Silsbee they were playing in their first playoff game against an offense scheme they hadn't seen before. I believe Coach Bowie will have them ready for what WO-S has to throw (or run) at them. Being myself originally from the Golden Triangle area (parents graduated from PA Jefferson in the early '70's), I know the history of the Mustangs, most of these kids have never heard of WO-S, or its rich history. All they know is that the Mustangs have been ranked high in the polls this year, but they played Cuero tough last year in the State semifinal game when they had been ranked high all year, so I don't think the "fear factor" will come into play.

All that to say this. I think Palestine in the upset 45-38.

wos fan1
11-13-2005, 09:49 AM
WOS hasn't played palestine with Coach Thompson back at WOS.

gobbler grad
11-13-2005, 09:51 AM
WOS by 10 points...should be a good game, but not a blowout...not a high scoring game either...:thinking:

texasjeremy
11-13-2005, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Sandman
Coach Thompson hasn't faired too well the two times he has faced Palestine since he left. But then again Adrian Peterson was carrying out a personal vendetta against him rushing for 646 yards and 8 touchdowns in those two games combined. I think at West Orange-Stark he has better athletes than he did those years at Huntsville, and instead of AD the Wildcats have a three headed monster at running back, and a passing game that has been running smoothly most of the year. The Palestine Defense has been up and down all year. There are I believe nine juniors on defense and against Silsbee they were playing in their first playoff game against an offense scheme they hadn't seen before. I believe Coach Bowie will have them ready for what WO-S has to throw (or run) at them. Being myself originally from the Golden Triangle area (parents graduated from PA Jefferson in the early '70's), I know the history of the Mustangs, most of these kids have never heard of WO-S, or its rich history. All they know is that the Mustangs have been ranked high in the polls this year, but they played Cuero tough last year in the State semifinal game when they had been ranked high all year, so I don't think the "fear factor" will come into play.

All that to say this. I think Palestine in the upset 45-38.

I completly agree, going into last years game against Cuero, some of the fans of the other 3A schools were saying "You are playing Cuero, good luck, you will need it". And our guys were like "What is a cuero?" No intimidation whatsoever.

shankbear
11-13-2005, 10:06 AM
gobbler gard. Having seen...this should be a high scoring game. The chaingang defense at WO-S is missing a few links as they have been giving up a bunch of points. It hasn't hurt them so far but..........With that said, WO-S has so many guns that they are like the Energizer rabbit on offense. They just keep scoring and sacoring and scoring.

GS#17
11-13-2005, 10:28 AM
From seeing this weekend's performances, it does not appear that playing defense matters as much as it used to for either WO-S or for Palestine.

I can't say anything about Palestine's defense, but I think WOS played pretty well on defense. They gave up about 200 yards total offense to Huffman, and a good portion of that total came on two big plays (a 45 yard run by Foreman and a long pass play in the first quarter -- I can't remember the yardage, but it was at least 40 yards, also). Huffman did very well with time of possession and made few mistakes on offense, but I don't think that takes anything away from WOS' performance -- they played a good team with a very disciplined offense, but also made some big defensive plays.

This week's game should be a good matchup with two very potent offenses. I can't wait to see it!

shankbear
11-13-2005, 10:49 AM
Saw the weatherman fan on the sidelines and he was chewing his nails down to the nubs early on.

wos fan1
11-13-2005, 10:50 AM
:eek:

WOS1
11-13-2005, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by shankbear
OK, what is the early line on the big Palestine/WO-S game?? From seeing this weekend's performances, it does not appear that playing defense matters as much as it used to for either WO-S or for Palestine. The scoreboards were lit up this weekend. The stupid penalties have to stop. Yup, the big plays have definitely benefited WO-S and Palestine. Score predictions at this early hour please.

I know we've given up 21 and 34 points the last couple of weeks, but our defense really hasn't played all that bad. A coule of big plays here and there and a bunch of penalties have killed us. I think those will get ironed out. Plus, we've played a couple of pretty good offenses, too.

lostaussie
11-13-2005, 12:41 PM
palestine 80
wo-s 79

get your track shoes on. this one should be fun. honestly, i think if wo-s holds palestine under 50 they win.

PHS Wildcats
11-13-2005, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
palestine 80
wo-s 79

get your track shoes on. this one should be fun. honestly, i think if wo-s holds palestine under 50 they win. :confused:

WOS1
11-13-2005, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by wos fan1

WO-S has never played Palestine, with or without Thompson.

Sandman
11-13-2005, 07:54 PM

I know they played Huntsville when he was D-coordinator there. And no they have never played West Orange-Stark.

Hupernikomen
11-13-2005, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by WOS1
I know we've given up 21 and 34 points the last couple of weeks, but our defense really hasn't played all that bad. A coule of big plays here and there and a bunch of penalties have killed us. I think those will get ironed out. Plus, we've played a couple of pretty good offenses, too.

Big plays and penalties are part of the game..the defense gave them up.

wos fan1
11-13-2005, 08:03 PM
:rolleyes:

chaingang
11-13-2005, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by WOS1
WO-S has never played Palestine, with or without Thompson.

Great observation

I think WOS and Palastine should COMPRAMISE!!!!:clap: :clap:
(inside joke)

GS#17
11-13-2005, 08:37 PM
I was looking at the numbers, and in 10 games, Palestine has only played four teams that finished over .500 for the regular season (their opponents' winning percentage is .474), and one of their two losses came to a 2-8 team.

8/26/05 Palestine vs. (4A) Whitehouse (4-6) W 40-22
9/2/05 Palestine vs. Carthage (7-4) W 47-21
9/9/05 Palestine vs. (4A) Henderson (2-8 ) L 14-24
9/16/05 Palestine vs. (4A) Jacksonville (6-4) W 27-24
10/7/05 Palestine vs. Rusk (7-4) ** W 41-28
10/14/05 Palestine vs. Diboll (3-6) ** W 45-14
10/21/05 Palestine vs. Crockett (8-2) ** L 19-35
10/28/05 Palestine vs. Palestine Westwood (4-6) ** W 67-20
11/4/05 Palestine vs. Huntington (2-7) ** W 52-6
11/10/05 Palestine vs Silsbee (4-5) W 63-42

** Denotes district games

How big a factor (if at all) will the strength of schedule be at this point in the season?

chaingang
11-13-2005, 08:43 PM
I agree!:clap: :D :kiss:

shankbear
11-13-2005, 08:55 PM
Palestine took a loss to a 2 win 8 loss team this year. They came back pretty strong after that. Was it their wake-up call? Proof that any team can be beaten on a given day.

wos-84
11-13-2005, 09:00 PM
west orange should win by 2 touchdowns as long as the d forces a couple of punts. just as they did against huffman. which had great speed and disapline.

GS#17
11-13-2005, 09:02 PM
Shank, it's hard to say just looking at the numbers... They only played 3 teams that had winning records after that game, and finished 2-1 against them (one of those wins was only by 3 points).

Not knowing what happened (and giving Palestine the benefit of the doubt), I'm thinking they may have overlooked Henderson and assumed they'd just show up and win the game. They had just beaten a good Carthage team (who is still in the playoffs) and were about to play Jacksonville, a team that had beaten them last year and always has a pretty good squad. Henderson may have just caught them in the right place at the right time...

wos fan1
11-13-2005, 09:03 PM
If we play Defense we'll win. Coach Thompson will have them ready.

setex
11-13-2005, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by GS#17
Shank, it's hard to say just looking at the numbers... They only played 3 teams that had winning records after that game, and finished 2-1 against them (one of those wins was only by 3 points).

Not knowing what happened (and giving Palestine the benefit of the doubt), I'm thinking they may have overlooked Henderson and assumed they'd just show up and win the game. They had just beaten a good Carthage team (who is still in the playoffs) and were about to play Jacksonville, a team that had beaten them last year and always has a pretty good squad. Henderson may have just caught them in the right place at the right time...

GS#17

After looking at your research I might have to take back that this will be WOS toughest opponent.

They do have some Div 1 talent, but the Stangs have beat 20-4A district champ Central who is still playing.

shankbear
11-13-2005, 09:28 PM
Jody will simply tell you that anybody else is from a "weak district".

PHS Wildcats
11-13-2005, 10:51 PM
If we play Defense we'll win. Coach Thompson will have them ready.

If Palestine palys defense they win, and as far as our "weak Schedule" I guess we should hae played USC or Texas to make our schedule stronger. We beat the teams we had to beat. Gees I guess since we played a weak schedule, we should stay home and give WO-S the win.

wos fan1
11-13-2005, 10:51 PM
We'll find out Friday night!!!!!! ;) ;)