PDA

View Full Version : Bellville's Syptak highlighted in Houston Chronicle

Bongo
09-17-2003, 10:35 PM
Check out the article on John Syptak in todays Houston Chronicle. Good writeup on the Rice DE.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2104207

HSFB Fan
09-17-2003, 10:50 PM
is the young man capable of going to the next level(div 1)

HSFB Fan
09-17-2003, 10:57 PM
who is the head coach at rice-consolidated?

therealbulldogs
09-17-2003, 11:07 PM
It's Rice University and not Rice Consolidated. What ever happened to Dornon?

Bellville22
09-17-2003, 11:07 PM
HSFB Fan:
is the young man capable of going to the next level(div 1)

0If he stays healthy, and in the weight room, I think he's very capable. Extremely smart, was valadictorian (haha, not sure i can even spell it) at Bellville, as well as very hard working and dedicated.

Bongo
09-17-2003, 11:22 PM
Sorry HSFB I probably was not as clear in the post as I should have been. Syptak played for Bellville two years ago and started for Rice University as a freshman.

Dornon "tweaked" his knee again and is now red-shirted. There's one on this board that could probably fill in the details on Dornon, if she's still awake.

HSFB Fan
09-17-2003, 11:29 PM
that's okay. but i was wondering do the college recruiters spend alot of time in your area. not so in sotex. I have seen alot of great talent go for not because of lack of recruiters in the SoTex area.

Bongo
09-17-2003, 11:40 PM
I think some of it depends upon the high school coaches. If a coach has a good high school player then the coach can usually get the attention of the college coaches or at least some of them. I think the Bellville head coach does a pretty decent job of helping the kids find spots in college programs.

I think some of these kids don't understand that they still must make their grades. It's hard to get a D1 scholarship with a poor ranking and a low college board score. I'm sure things could be "fudged" in the case of a top 100 prospect if the college wants them bad enough. We've had some kids in the past that could have gone D1 but their grades were bad.

HSFB Fan
09-17-2003, 11:51 PM
I think you are right about the coaches, but I also think that today the coaches are so stretched in the duties that they perform plus having to teach also. plus coaches probably only have so many leads.

BrahmaMom
09-18-2003, 08:36 AM
Sorry, Bongo, I was in dreamland by the time you posted. Yes, Dornon tweaked his repaired knee early in the first Rice scrimmage, feeling a pop. Surgeons immediately determined "the grafts held" to the relief of player and mother, who both relived last year's Rockdale game. They couldn't further determine meniscus injury due to repair last Sept. He slowly went back into practices after a two week rehab and feels looser and faster, thus leading all to believe what surgeons had suggested as possibility that scar tissue/adhesions had torn loose. The red-shirt is definite and a good deal athletically and academically. Syptak was awesome in the first two games, he may be looking at the next level. He is still exciting to watch. It will be fun to have the Bellville boys on the field together again. Just goes to show 3A guys are players!

fullhouse
09-18-2003, 10:28 AM
BrahmaMom ~ check your PM.

Bongo
09-18-2003, 11:51 AM
Thanks BrahmaMom, I knew you would have ALL the information on "the Bellville boys" at Rice.

BrahmaMom
09-18-2003, 01:34 PM
Bongo, I only WISH I had all the info on the Bellville boys at Rice. Unfortunately, I only get the scraps they give me! The good news is both seem to be doing well and seem happy(a mother's dream--healthy and happy!). Hope you are going to watch Syp in Reliant stadium Saturday. www.ricefootball.net (http://www.ricefootball.net) is where you can keep up with the football stuff--they have some great pictures of John.

CowboyFan
09-18-2003, 02:32 PM
Is Rice Division 1 or 2?

BrahmaMom
09-18-2003, 02:39 PM
Rice is D1, the smallest D1 school. They focused on recruiting for defense in '03, so the defense is a little (lot) weak, with the exception of Syptak. They have also had too many injuries this year. Look for them to come on strong in the next two years, just my opinion.

therealbulldogs
09-18-2003, 02:49 PM
I played against both of them my senior year when Bellville beat us (Bandera) in the 2nd round of the playoffs 17-7. Both of those guys were all over the field. I don't think I ever played against a duo of linebackers that were as fast or as big as them!

BrahmaMom
09-18-2003, 04:02 PM
Part of that chemistry as LB's will return next year for Rice. It was a deciding factor for Dornon to go to Rice. They both love to hit hard and work well together. In my excitement for Syp, I didn't give any credit to Rice senior LB Jeff Vanover, from Diboll, who is a huge leader for the Rice defense and deserves a lot of credit, too. You Diboll fans should be really proud of Jeff.

big69
09-18-2003, 04:11 PM
BrahmaMom:
Part of that chemistry as LB's will return next year for Rice. It was a deciding factor for Dornon to go to Rice. They both love to hit hard and work well together. In my excitement for Syp, I didn't give any credit to Rice senior LB Jeff Vanover, from Diboll, who is a huge leader for the Rice defense and deserves a lot of credit, too. You Diboll fans should be really proud of Jeff.We are proud to see a former standout go on to a D1 college and play for them and see them on National TV not to mention others from our town that play at other colleges. I think every town should be proud to have any athlete represent them at the colleg level!