PDA

View Full Version : Congrats To Monahans!

panther power
11-12-2005, 10:36 AM
What a game.... I can not believe a 3-3A team beat a 4-3A team, wow, that is not supposed to happen. Monahans fans travel well, almost filled up the home side of Grande. I know a good game when I see one and man was that a good one. A Backup kick returner took it to the house to prove to be the desiding score, wow!

Monahans- 3A Division II bi-district champions

panther power
11-12-2005, 10:42 AM
Great article at www.oaoa.com,"airing it out".

http://img445.imageshack.us/img445/6180/111205monahanshappy5ir.jpg

wildstangs
11-12-2005, 10:48 AM
Here is the article from GoFridayNight

Tigers fall to unbeaten Monahans
By Jason Weddle / Reporter-News Staff Writer
November 11, 2005

MIDLAND — Snyder’s "Black Curtain Defense" was outdone Friday night.

The unit had allowed less than one touchdown per game during the regular season but gave up one too many — and 155 rushing yards to Loboes’ running back Sam Graves — in the Tigers’ 28-21 bi-district loss to Monahans.

Snyder got on the board first thanks to two spectacular efforts by D’White Wells.

Wells kept the Tigers’ 10-play, 71-yard drive alive when he recovered a fumble by quarterback Matt Reigh and advanced the ball 10 yards to the Monahans 25-yard line. The senior took a reverse to the house on the next play to give Snyder a 7-0 lead with 5:50 remaining in the first quarter.

Both teams traded punts, and then Monahans (11-0) mounted the drive of the game.

The Loboes took the ball with 52 seconds remaining in the first quarter and marched 75 yards in 20 plays that took 9:26 off the clock. The beautiful drive ended badly, however, as Monahans quarterback Chase Cornelius was intercepted in the end zone by Garrett Pinson.

"That worried me on the long drive because we didn’t get points out of it," Monahans coach Mickey Owens said. "We wanted to play ball control."

The rested Loboes defense forced a three-and-out on the ensuing Snyder possession, and instead of putting together another time-consuming effort, the Loboes tied the game in one play.

Cornelius hit Isaiha Alford on a 47-yard scoring strike with 1:41 on the first-half clock. The Alford touchdown did something the 20-play drive could not — put points on the board.

"When we got the long drive and didn’t get any points out of it, we had our heads down a little bit," Owens said. "But that’s a tribute to these kids. They fought and fought and just were not going to give up."

The 7-7 tie would carry into halftime after an eventful final minute and a half that saw both teams combine for three interceptions. Snyder took the wind instead of the ball to start the third quarter. That gamble paid off temporarily when a 41-yard Johnny Vasquez run put the Tigers up 14-7 with 2:44 left in the third quarter. Monahans answered with an 89-yard Anthony Cota kickoff return that tied the game and gave Monahans the wind advantage and momentum.

"I thought we did a great job of moving the ball and the offense was clicking and that kickoff was the second time in five years that that’s happened and I think that took the momentum back," Snyder coach Chad Rogers said.

With that momentum, the Monahans defense forced a Snyder three-and-out, and the Loboes’ offense took the lead on an eight-play, 79-yard drive that was capped by a 20-yard play-action pass from Cornelius to tight end Blake Whisnand.

Snyder answered on a 24-yard Reigh run that tied the score at 21.

But then Cornelius hooked up with tight end Sean Merrick for what would prove to be the game-winner.

Snyder took the ball with 1:52 remaining on the clock, but its game-long inability to pass the ball made a 91-yard drive into the wind seem nearly impossible.

The Snyder passing game finished the night with just 49 yards.

Determined to stick with the run, despite the long field and short clock, the game and Snyder’s season ended when Will Clay fumbled after taking a shot to the arm following a 14-yard run with less than a minute and a half to go in the game.

The loss put a damper on what had been a special season for Snyder. The Tigers finished the year at 9-2, but it will take a while before the good memories overshadow Friday’s disappointing defeat.

"It’s not something you expect, but I’m proud of the way the guys fought until the end," Rogers said. "We’re gonna miss a whole lot of these guys next year."

Snyder 7 0 7 7—21
Monahans 0 7 7 14—28

Scoring Summary

First Quarter

S—D’White Wells 25 run (Chris Smith kick)

Second Quarter

M—Isaiah Alford 47 pass from Chase Cornelius (T.J. Brooks kick)

Third Quarter

S—Johnny Vasquez 44 run (Smith kick)
M—Anthony Cota 89 kickoff return (Brooks kick)

Fourth Quarter

M—Blake Whisnand 20 pass from Cornelius (Brooks kick)
S—Matt Reigh 24 run (Smith kick)
M—Sean Merrick (Brooks kick)

Snyder Monahans

First downs 11 16
Rushes — yards 34-191 41-188
Passing yards 49 137
Comp.-Att.-Int. 5-11-2 9-18-2
Punts 3-40.3 5-28.4
Fumbles-lost 3-1 0-0
Penalties-yards 2-20 7-40

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS

RUSHING — Snyder: Wells, 7-27; Reigh, 12-50; Clay 8-37; Vasquez 7-77 Monahans: Graves, 28-155; Roberson, 10-43; Cornelius, 2—6; Alford, 1—4

PASSING — Snyder: Matt Reigh 5-11-2 49. Monahans: Chase Cornelius 9-18-2 137

RECEIVING — Snyder: Vasquez 1-9; Williams 5-40 Monahans: Alford 2-57; Graves, 1-12; Merrick 1-6; Roberson 1-16; Cornelius 1-12, Collins, 1-12; Covington, 1-14

Contact sports writer Jason Weddle at weddlej@reporternews.com.

donjuan
11-12-2005, 05:15 PM
That is a good article. We Monahans fans were really tired of hearing that Monahans hasn't played anybody. Go Loboes!

S-Town Tiger
11-12-2005, 05:23 PM
Better watch out for them mustangs tho...

panther power
11-14-2005, 12:52 PM
Im sure they will cross that bridge when they get there,...

WitchyWoman
11-14-2005, 01:04 PM
Gotta give it to the Loboes, that was a great game and hard fought. Way to play........
Great Season Tigers thanx for the RIDE...... :kiss:

RoTex4Life
11-14-2005, 01:26 PM
it was a pretty short ride though huh? lol

WitchyWoman
11-14-2005, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by RoTex4Life
it was a pretty short ride though huh? lol

Why don't you just grow up little bitty man!!! :mad: :flamingma :mad:

Ya DONKEY......................

WitchyWoman
11-14-2005, 01:42 PM
Everytime I see your name on the D-low I think of a can of ........
DICED UP MOOSHY TOMATOES THAT NO ONE COULD THINK OF ANYTHING BETTER TO DO WITH THEM BESIDES CAN 'EM AND SEAL THEM UP TIGHT........... BAM BA BAM YOU IDGIT STICK.

sweetwater07
11-14-2005, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by WitchyWoman
Why don't you just grow up little bitty man!!! :mad: :flamingma :mad:

Ya DONKEY......................

this guy is a d bag...don't worry about it

RoTex4Life
11-14-2005, 01:44 PM
lol calm down take a joke little girls

SnyderMom
11-14-2005, 01:45 PM
Yes congrats to Monohans!! Awesome game...yes ya'll were underrated, and I don't know why!! That little #14 (I think it was) and #88, they are two of the best ball players I've seen. Quick...fast...determined. I'll be rootin' for ya!! Good Luck!

WitchyWoman
11-14-2005, 01:46 PM
lol calm down take a joke little girls

Well maybe u should figure out how to JOKE with some taste, like addinga j/k at the end of your post then we wouldn't have to read your mind by looking at your A@# ok????????:kiss:

RoTex4Life
11-14-2005, 01:55 PM
or i can keep sayin stuff and there aint nothing u can do about it...:D ...lol jk

SnyderMom
11-14-2005, 01:56 PM
or i can keep clownin and there aint nothing u can do about it

you're right, but you're the one makin a fool of yourself. Have at it!

BMOC
11-14-2005, 02:27 PM
One of the best High School games I've been to this year. Good Loboes.

zeus63
11-14-2005, 02:42 PM
I do believe that RoTex is just aonther handle for a banned member. (Could be wrong, but I don't think so.)

WitchyWoman
11-14-2005, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by zeus63
I do believe that RoTex is just aonther handle for a banned member. (Could be wrong, but I don't think so.)

I do believe that RangerMom is speaking to him right now.:D

Ranger Mom
11-14-2005, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by WitchyWoman
I do believe that RangerMom is speaking to him right now.:D

Am I that transparent??? :p

WitchyWoman
11-14-2005, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Am I that transparent??? :p

LOL wz absolutely loving it.... GOOD JOB - High Five:hand:

zeus63
11-14-2005, 03:56 PM
go get him Ranger Mom. There is absolutely no sense bashing a any team in the playoffs, they are there for obvious reasons. All these kids that spend their extra time in the afternoons so they can play ball do not deserve any kind of trash talk. If it weren't for them this board would not exist.