PDA

View Full Version : buckeye recap from longview paper

lostaussie
11-12-2005, 07:48 AM
Advertisement

ET FOOTBALL: Big plays lift Buckeyes over Tigers

By RICK KRETZSCHMAR

Saturday, November 12, 2005

MOUNT PLEASANT – Gilmer football player Justin Johnson knew how to serve up revenge on Friday. A main course of touchdowns, flavored with big plays.

Johnson's big plays, with some special teams miscues for Daingerfield, led to a 42-32 Gilmer win in a Class 3A Division II playoff before 6,500 spectators at Sam Parker Field. Gilmer (10-1) avenged its only loss of the season, a 26-17 loss to Daingerfield on Sept. 30, and advanced to an area playoff next week against Canton, which defeated White Oak in a bi-district playoff on Friday, 34-27. Daingerfield's season ends at 8-3.

Johnson iced the win with a 41-yard touchdown run with 3:27 left in the game. Johnson also had a 16-yard touchdown run with 11:53 left to give Gilmer a 35-14 lead.

Johnson put an exclamation point on that touchdown with a decleating tackle on Daingerfield's Johnie Hurndon on the ensuing kickoff. Johnson scored three rushing touchdowns, rushing for 83 yards. Johnson also returned a fumble for a touchdown and had an interception on defense in the first half.

"The kickoff hit was my favorite. I haven't had a hit like that all year. This was my best game," Johnson said. "I love revenge. The team loves it."

Johnson's 16-yard touchdown run was set up by a blocked punt by Gilmer's Wes Wynne. Gilmer took a 28-14 lead on a two-yard touchdown run by Jamell Kennedy with 8:53 left in the first half. Kennedy's touchdown was set up by a bad snap on a Daingerfield punt attempt, which gave Gilmer the ball at the Daingerfield six-yard line.

The two punting miscues hurt Daingerfield later. Daingerfield scored 18 fourth-quarter points, with quarterback Germayne Edmond accounting for three touchdowns. For the game, Edmond had 282 total yards of offense and accounted for all five Daingerfield touchdowns, but Daingerfield converted one of five extra-point attempts.

"We had four big turnovers. If we keep it even, I think it comes down to the end," Daingerfield coach Randall Hugg said. "I was proud that we fought until the end. Gilmer is very good. I think Gilmer can win it all again."

Big plays by Johnson were bookends of the first half.

A 38-yard pass from Kennedy to Curtis Brown set up a five-yard touchdown run by Johnson with 3:30 left in the first quarter for the first score of the game. Daingerfield countered with an 11-play drive, capped by a four-yard touchdown pass from Edmond to Mitch Walker on a fourth-and-2 play with 11:15 left in the second quarter.

On the next play from scrimmage, Brown took an end around, broke three tackles and sprinted 80 yards for a touchdown to help give Gilmer a 14-6 lead. Brown had 152 total yards of offense in the first half and finished with 168 total yards. Gilmer receiver Willie Darden was held to one reception for minus 3 yards.

Two plays later, after Daingerfield's Trenton Munn recovered a Gilmer onside-kick attempt, Edmond found Charlie Frazier for a 48-yard touchdown pass and Aquan Elliott ran in a two-point conversion to tie the game at 14-14. Frazier had four receptions for 125 yards and two touchdowns.

Daingerfield drove to the Gilmer 21-yard line late in the first half, but a high snap went through Edmond's hands and Johnson returned the fumble 67 yards to give Gilmer a 21-14 lead with 2:21 left in the first half.

Kennedy finished with 112 total yards. Daingerfield running back Tyrrell Brown had 58 yards rushing, after rushing for 114 yards when they met on Sept. 30.

Hupernikomen
11-12-2005, 10:50 AM
Nice job for Gilmer. Got to love how last years two finalist aren't even being considered by many of the experts to make a return trip. Just keep winning and leave the ranking experts to do their jobs.