PDA

View Full Version : AN OPEN LETTER TO THE CARDINAL FOOTBALL TEAM

Old Cardinal
11-24-2002, 10:00 PM
As you well know the Pollsters and the Jasper people are sure that they can beat you by 45 points. They are a large drop down 4A with 39 Seniors- and that is probably a fair assessment.... You know the David and Golaith story?, right? Here is a factured version- "David's brothers went to the King and proclaimed, HE is just too big to take! But David said, "Let me have a shot, because, I think, HE is just TOO BIG TO MISS! It's your attitude, everything is affected by your ATTITUDE. Guys, they are extra big and cocky and have great ability; however, the only attributes that you possess are high intelligence and a residual of "field Savvy". In most of life brains overcome brawn; however, in football brawn unfortunately overcomes, all to many times. I know you are so excited to have the opportunity to challenge a 4A level team with 39 big Seniors. If you win by 40 or lose by 40- but play every down 100% effort, we will all be proud of you. Your only asset is to be able to think on your feet and capitalize when you can. Its been kind of comical hearing 150#ers at church all excited to have the opportunity to take on 300#ers. You boys have a great attitude, and are not afraid of meeting Jasper on the gridiron. Best of luck as you enter this substancial challenge, with such a great attitude.

Bulldog92
11-24-2002, 10:24 PM
Old Card: You're a heck of a guy and a great Cardinal fan, but don't you think that you're going a little far with your generalizations of what we as Jasper fans think is gonna happen? Any of us that know anything about Jasper history and this Cardinal team you're sending down to Houston know that this WILL NOT be a 45-point game. I know Jasper is a 20+ point favorite, at least everywhere that I've seen, but I think it will be closer than that and if Jasper doesn't play well, they can lose this game. Bridge City will have to play one of their best games ever to win, but I think it is possible. Those with the opinion that Jasper will win by 40 or 50 are basing their opinions on their hearts and not their brains. I do think the Bulldogs are the stronger team this year and should win the game by 10-13 points, but Bridge City will show us that they belong on the field come Saturday. After these 39 guys graduate, who knows what will happen and whether there will ever be another team we as Jasper fans can compare to this one. We have a unique opportunity to do something special and your team is blocking our path. Good luck to your Cardinals. You're gonna need it. Jasper 30, Bridge City 17. Go Dogs...

southern_thunder
11-24-2002, 10:58 PM
Old card, is that what people said about yall when yall first dropped to 3a? We are not a 4a team we are a 3s team just like yall. I really expected more from you sounds like to me you are think your guys should just give up.
BC has a great football team, and it will be a good game.

j_dog
11-24-2002, 11:12 PM
southern_thunder:
Old card, is that what people said about yall when yall first dropped to 3a? We are not a 4a team we are a 3s team just like yall. I really expected more from you sounds like to me you are think your guys should just give up.
BC has a great football team, and it will be a good game.OC, I remember it like yesterday. In 1970 Jasper rolled into BC with another state ranked team, one of the very best Jasper has ever had, and went home with a 6-16 loss. Jasper finished the season at 9 and 1, and no chance at the play-offs. Jasper remembers and will be focused and ready. Good luck to all.

29x281
11-24-2002, 11:18 PM
Somehow I doubt that players born in 1985 will be remembering a game played in 1970 when they step on the turf this weekend.

j_dog
11-24-2002, 11:37 PM
29x281:
Somehow I doubt that players born in 1985 will be remembering a game played in 1970 when they step on the turf this weekend.That is why I told them about it!

Old Cardinal
11-25-2002, 09:24 AM
I remember a game in 1984, when Jasper was loaded with future College and Pro players and Bridge City was in the same boat- smaller and loaded with academic elite. The odds were about the same as this years situation! Bridge City had them whipped until Richard Chambers was intercepted on a flat pass, and BC lost by one point! It would have been one of the greatest upsets in HS Texas history. Those same BC players, have ended up leaders in industry, some great football coaches, Pastors, strategic Military leaders in the War on Terrorist, and many other successful endeavors. Success in life goes way beyond the ball field!

Reveille
11-25-2002, 09:45 AM
Old Cardinal:
I remember a game in 1984, when Jasper was loaded with future College and Pro players and Bridge City was in the same boat- smaller and loaded with academic elite. The odds were about the same as this years situation! Bridge City had them whipped until Richard Chambers was intercepted on a flat pass, and BC lost by one point! It would have been one of the greatest upsets in HS Texas history. Those same BC players, have ended up leaders in industry, some great football coaches, Pastors, strategic Military leaders in the War on Terrorist, and many other successful endeavors. Success in life goes way beyond the ball field!Old Card: In reference to the football game, what is your point? .....BC lost. In reference to the acacdemic endeavors, point taken, but you can say the same thing about some of the Jasper players on the field that night also.
Let's talk about today, not what happened 20 or 40 years ago. There will be two great teams playing at the Dome on Sasturday. May the best team win.

duckbutter
11-25-2002, 10:38 AM
Old Crow I'm so proud that the kids from BC have such a higher intelligence level than any other SE Texas team. You made a similar comment before the Newton game and now you are before the Jasper game. I guess Newton and Jasper only have big, strong, fast idiots on their teams. I think you know football and sometimes have good posts but I AM SICK OF YOUR ARROGANT ATTITUDE! I really wish I knew who you really are because I would find a seat at the dome right next to yours and relish the look on your face when Jasper sends YOUR Cards home for the year. I hate saying things like that, for the players sake, but its true. I mean no disrespect towards any other BC fans or players, It's Monday and I've had all I can take of OC.
Jasper 58
BC 0

Bulldog92
11-25-2002, 10:48 AM
WOW!!! What a shot that was. Let's not forget that duckbutter has heard this stuff already this year prior to the BC/Newton game, but that was a great post and I'm laughing my butt off. OC has to go back a ways to find instances where they have had success against the Bulldogs and he knows that it means nothing now. This is gonna get interesting now. Nice shot man... :)

spiveyrat
11-25-2002, 01:07 PM
:D

Jason1725
11-25-2002, 01:17 PM
I know let someone from Jasper post something like what OC said and sit back and see how arrogant we are. It is getting ridiculous to see this going on. Jasper fans who even hint at the Bulldogs winning become trash talkers. But somehow it is ok to suggest your team is smarter than someone else that is idiotic. Jasper is too big and fast on both lines and will control them Saturday. That my friends are where games are won and lost, on the offensive and defensive lines. Jasper will win this game 34-0.

Cooter
11-25-2002, 01:39 PM
Old Cardinal,
It is Goliath vs. Goliath
I don't see any David's out there. When both schools have 900+ students and are still playing 3A ball. You don't get to play the David and Goliath card. Get ready for your whipping Jasper 40 BC 0

Old Cardinal
11-25-2002, 01:50 PM
I am sorry Duckbutter, sounds like you are a little testy because Newton got bumped out of the Playoffs! Yes, I am very proud that the Cardinal team has some good football players and some good scholars on that team. I am glad to make the comment that the ability to "think on their feet" has probably given them the Region III Championship last year and the chance to play Jasper for that same position this year. Bragging on a home team, youth's attributes to use his smarts on an off the field should make acceptable threads for 3A down low. Now YOU took in to another dimension trying to say that I said something derogatory about other teams...Read the thread, all I have observed here is that quick-thinking skills by very smart youth, have been this teams strongest attribute. I am bragging on the best assets of our team...I am neutral on the subject; on YOUR team, because I have no idea on this subject on your team. Duck, I am sorry you guys lost out early, I was pulling for you. I seems that each year, you are amazingly tough through the year but a few key injuries always de-rails your program in the playoffs. Boy, if you ever drop to 2A you ought to win it all.

Old Cardinal
11-25-2002, 02:06 PM
To Coot: Yes, Jasper is over 900+ at present,and Bridge City's at approximately 700 they were at 756 at the last ADM-last UIL realignment. My comments to our kids, dealt with the great size differential in the physical size of the players-that's where the David and Goliath comparisons came from. Bridge City has one of the smallest teams in physical size left in all of the playoffs. They have been able to use their cunning and their Coaching has been able to advance their level of skills because of a lot of sharp dedicated youth. I think David and Goliath comes to mind immediately when you have seen both of these teams dressed out.

spiveyrat
11-25-2002, 04:03 PM
excuse me... um, mr. oldcard. being a jasper fan, i know i have to watch what i say because what i say might be offensive, hurtful, or politically incorrect to you or any other bc fans. so, in light of that, this is just a statement of fact and public record. no intent of harm, foul play, or "smack" is intended.

newton has "won it all" in their respictive classification. they do not (nor did not) have to drop down to 2A to achieve this.

again, there was no intent to offense, harm, or political incorrectness in this statement.

(tip-toeing away) :D :p

Festus
11-25-2002, 04:05 PM
Old Card, some of us from newton know exactly what you were saying in the message to the boys from BC. Although you were not making any implications of the sort, some of the responses seem to lend credence to the theory. I'm always amazed at what triggers some of the individuals that utilize this board. I would like to thank you for the support of ours and all Southeast Texas teams. You are a great fan and sportsman.

As for the game, as you stated, anything can happen. I agree that it is highly unlikely with the overall skill and athleticism Jasper possesses, but BC is much better than a K'ville, and we know what happened there. Tell your kids to keep their heads up, play well and no matter how the game ends up, they can be proud of the season they've had.

fred grunden
11-25-2002, 09:22 PM
Old Cardinal
[QB]I remember a game in 1984, when Jasper was loaded with future College and Pro players and Bridge City was in the same boat- smaller and loaded with academic elite. The odds were about the same as this years situation! Bridge City had them whipped until Richard Chambers was intercepted on a flat pass, and BC lost by one point! It would have been one of the greatest upsets in HS Texas history. Old Card: 1984 Score was Jasper 28, BC 7
1983 was Jasper 43, BC 0

fred grunden
11-25-2002, 09:51 PM
Old Cardinal, What year were you talking about when Jasper was supposed to have pulled out a one point victory? It was not 1983 or 1984. Am looking at the '83 & '84 news clippings from the Beaumont Ent. Headlines in the '84 paper say
"Jasper, Davis run over Bridge City 28-7". Before all you BC fans jump on me, I know these old games won't mean a thing on Sat. in the dome.

j dawg
11-25-2002, 11:13 PM
To Old Card,

Can't wait until Sunday, When B.C. post's
stop talking. Jasper 35 B.C. 10???

Jason1725
11-25-2002, 11:31 PM
There has never been a one point win by either Jasper or Bridge City when they played. So there is no confusion here are the results of each meeting from 1980-1991

1980=Jasper 13-3
1981=Jasper 26-14
1982=Jasper 21-0
1983=Jasper 43-0
1984=Jasper 28-7
1985=Bridge City 24-19
1986=Jasper 35-14
1987=Jasper 16-7
1988= don't have that score
1989= " "
1990=Jasper 28-10
1991=Jasper 34-7

Chernich1985
11-26-2002, 06:25 AM
TO: OC

before you speak you should research your info
Jasper is just over 800, we will be 3A for awhile.
Prepare to deal with us. GO Dawgs!!

Dawgs - 48
BC - 7 after jv comes in!!

Old Cardinal
11-26-2002, 11:18 AM
I am so sorry it was the season of 1984-1985 and it ended up 24-19.I should have looked it up and not tried to trust my aging memory. Time has a way of changing memories. I one watched an ole reel film of a game that I played in many years ago, where we upset a top rated team. Boy, I played a terrible game in reality, but I had convinced myself that I had held my own that night.
thanks for catching my error.

BIG19
11-26-2002, 03:03 PM
Old Card, GREAT letter to the troops. I have to side with you on the David/Golaith analogy. Jasper has all but written their names on the state trophy, but as it has been written in the past, anything can happen on any given night in Texas HS Football. Best of luck to your cardinals. Will be pulling for them while in San Marcos!

BigRed01
11-26-2002, 10:24 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jason1725:
[QB]There has never been a one point win by either Jasper or Bridge City when they played. So there is no confusion here are the results of each meeting from 1980-1991

Jason I did a little homework for you. Here is the alltime scores of Bridge City vs. Jasper so there can be no dispute. Bridge City 12 wins, Jasper 14 wins, and 1 tie.

YEAR BC JASPER
62 34 06
63 33 08
64 42 14
65 32 13
66 42 00
67 31 06
68 39 06
69 16 06
70 17 25
71 07 14
72 20 06
73 13 13
74 27 00
75 00 12
76 09 13
77 21 07
78 ? ?
79 07 12
80 03 13
81 12 28
82 00 21
83 00 43
84 07 28
85 24 19
86 16 35
87 07 16
90 06 20
91 07 34

Well there you have it......it seems there past has a good end to it though. It seems no matter how tough a team the other has, like the 66 Cardinals, or the 84 Bulldogs, the other always stays in there and gives them a run for there money. I think this by it's history and by two top notch calibur teams, this will really be a war.

BigRed01
11-28-2002, 12:45 AM
Did anyone here play in the 1978 game, and how did it come out.

Jason1725
11-28-2002, 03:39 AM
Hmmmm I guess some of my scores were wrong, I got them out of a book they published in the early 90's of the history of Jasper football. I guess some of those guys had their numbers mixed up.

kicker11
11-28-2002, 10:28 AM
Old Cardinal:
I remember a game in 1984, when Jasper was loaded with future College and Pro players and Bridge City was in the same boat- smaller and loaded with academic elite. The odds were about the same as this years situation! Bridge City had them whipped until Richard Chambers was intercepted on a flat pass, and BC lost by one point! It would have been one of the greatest upsets in HS Texas history. Those same BC players, have ended up leaders in industry, some great football coaches, Pastors, strategic Military leaders in the War on Terrorist, and many other successful endeavors. Success in life goes way beyond the ball field!

Old Cardinal
11-28-2002, 11:21 AM
To Big Red 01: Thanks for the stats. I previously stated that BC won by 36-0 in 1964, on another post. I should have said Wooster scored 36 points that night. The final score ended 42-14 after playing the 2nd team in the 4th quarter.

BigRed01
11-28-2002, 02:52 PM
This has been a great rivalry in years past. I think this one will ad on to the legacy. I pick a really close game in this one.