PDA

View Full Version : WC 7, Gonz 0 after 1

3afan
11-10-2005, 08:59 PM

gobblerfan02
11-10-2005, 09:04 PM
Gonzales picked off in the endzone, touchback!

AP Panther Fan
11-10-2005, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by gobblerfan02
Gonzales picked off in the endzone, touchback!

Ouch, not a good sign.... :thinking:

gobblerfan02
11-10-2005, 09:08 PM
Gonzales at the Roughneck 24 yrd line. GO GONZALES!

gobblerfan02
11-10-2005, 09:11 PM
DANG, why can't the apaches punch one in?

Paratrooper
11-10-2005, 09:13 PM
This would be a pretty good size upset if Gonzales wins.....keep the updates coming.

gobblerfan02
11-10-2005, 09:21 PM
Gonzales recovers fumble on Roughneck 10 yrd line, little over a minute left in the half, 7-0 WC. C'mon apaches, tie it!

gobblerfan02
11-10-2005, 09:27 PM
Roughneck ball again, 4 times in the Red Zone, no points from it, dang missed opportunities!

gobblerfan02
11-10-2005, 09:27 PM
Roughneck ball again, 4 times in the Red Zone, no points from it, dang missed opportunities! The apaches was the ones in the RZ 4 times, and no points, a defensive battle!

Gobbla2001
11-10-2005, 09:29 PM
Sounds like both defenses are doing very well... would have made this game but had some things to take care of earlier...

Having played Gonzales a time or 3, I just can't see myself 'hoping' they pull offf this victory, so I am neutral as hell... but seeing how West Columbia, a team I truely respect, seems to have a better team fit for knocking off a Wimberly or Sinton (AKA: better chances at a state championship), I'm gunna semi-pull for the Necks in this one...

gobblerfan02
11-10-2005, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Sounds like both defenses are doing very well... would have made this game but had some things to take care of earlier...

Having played Gonzales a time or 3, I just can't see myself 'hoping' they pull offf this victory, so I am neutral as hell... but seeing how West Columbia, a team I truely respect, seems to have a better team fit for knocking off a Wimberly or Sinton (AKA: better chances at a state championship), I'm gunna semi-pull for the Necks in this one... You're psycho and a trader Zim, but I still like you! I'm still gonna pull for 26-3A, Go Apaches!!!!!!

WC 7 Gonzales 0............halftime!

Gobbla2001
11-10-2005, 09:36 PM
You're psycho and a trader Zim, but I still like you! I'm still gonna pull for 26-3A, Go Apaches!!!!!!

WC 7 Gonzales 0............halftime!

Gonzales hates Cuero, I might as well support them 'half-way' in the playoffs, right? :D

gobblerfan02
11-10-2005, 09:37 PM
hey, i'm listenin to the halftime stats, sounds pretty even, cept those few running plays the apaches gave up, both defenses look stout!

Gobbla2001
11-10-2005, 09:39 PM
hey, i'm listenin to the halftime stats, sounds pretty even, cept those few running plays the apaches gave up, both defenses look stout!

Looks like them A-patchees showed up to play some ball tonight...

Jody
11-10-2005, 09:43 PM
Not bad if only 7 points so far. WC is a solid team.

gobblerfan02
11-10-2005, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Jody
Not bad if only 7 points so far. WC is a solid team. so are the apaches, they're no pushover, could still be an upset, only the second half will tell all! Good luck to the apaches the rest of the game!

LogieJoeBean001
11-10-2005, 09:51 PM
Wow, this is surprising. But watch out for WC in the second half!

gobblerfan02
11-10-2005, 10:06 PM
td ROUGHNECKS, 14-0

Jody
11-10-2005, 10:08 PM
Here they go........sorry Gonzales.

Gobbla2001
11-10-2005, 10:10 PM
Wow, 14-zip roughnecks, that came quickly...

But these are the times when Gonzo responds... I have never seen a program take a two TD deficit so seriously... they hate it...

I still think Dub-C pulls this one out, but I do not believe Gonzales is done yet...

LH Panther Mom
11-10-2005, 10:16 PM
21-0, 2:00 left in the 3rd....44inarow just called.

AP Panther Fan
11-10-2005, 10:18 PM
Wow, 14-zip roughnecks, that came quickly...

But these are the times when Gonzo responds... I have never seen a program take a two TD deficit so seriously... they hate it...

I still think Dub-C pulls this one out, but I do not believe Gonzales is done yet...

Not being from your "neck" of the woods, tell me what does Dub-C stand for? I could figure it out if it was WC.....and oh, I usually pull for the underdogs, so good luck Gonzales!:cool:

Gobbla2001
11-10-2005, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Not being from your "neck" of the woods, tell me what does Dub-C stand for? I could figure it out if it was WC.....and oh, I usually pull for the underdogs, so good luck Gonzales!:cool:

W is pronounced 'Double-U'... in Texas, 'Double U' can be pronounced 'Dubya' (AKA: George 'Dubya' Bush)... So West Columbia can be shortened to W. Columbia, and then to W. C.... That is how we have 'Dub-C'...

LH Panther Mom
11-10-2005, 10:35 PM
Any news since 44 called?

gobblerfan02
11-10-2005, 10:48 PM
Final
WC 21 Gonzales 0!

AP Panther Fan
11-10-2005, 10:50 PM
W is pronounced 'Double-U'... in Texas, 'Double U' can be pronounced 'Dubya' (AKA: George 'Dubya' Bush)... So West Columbia can be shortened to W. Columbia, and then to W. C.... That is how we have 'Dub-C'...

Gotcha.....I shouldn't think so literally, I guess! :cool: :D

gobbler grad
11-10-2005, 11:34 PM
Roughneck ball again, 4 times in the Red Zone, no points from it, dang missed opportunities!

you should of seen this game in person...:( :( :( :hairpunk:

44INAROW
11-10-2005, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by gobbler grad

I 2nd that..........

Congrats Necks on the win.....

AP Panther Fan
11-10-2005, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
I 2nd that..........

Congrats Necks on the win.....

Glad you made it home safely!:) That was a quick trip for you guys!

gobbler grad
11-10-2005, 11:43 PM
we left early...:D :D...seen enough...:thinking:

Jody
11-10-2005, 11:50 PM
we left early...:D :D...seen enough...:thinking:

Cuero better watch them necks. Sounded like a sloppy game, however that is not typical of them. Could give Cuero a run for their money this year.

Good luck to both.

gobbler grad
11-10-2005, 11:52 PM
they don't play us this year...but they get Wimberly next week...should be a good game...

SintonFan
11-11-2005, 12:45 AM
lol
I was there too. Just got back in. Gonzales must not have a FG kicker because they should have been up 9-7 at the half. WC has a very athletic fast defense that showed me alot. Even though they turned the ball over a couple of times that D would not let the Apaches punch it in. Give Gonzales some credit, they weren't pushovers at all and played good defense for most of the game(well, I'm sure WC had something to do with that). After the first drive by WC they really adjusted well to what the necks were doing and came up big from halfway through the first Q to almost halfway through the 3rd Q. A defensive gem for 2 1/2 aint bad.
WC didn't play #22 for much of the 2nd or 3rd quarters, why I don't know. LaQuincy played for him most of that time and had some success, especially on that long TD in the 3rd.
Overall, WC is a very solid team with real good team speed all over the place. Nice defense for them to totally shut down Gonzales. I enjoyed it necks.:)
Now go out and kick some Wimberley butt!:thumbsup: :clap:
Also I got to see neck-06 and he's a very solid starter.:)

44INAROW
11-11-2005, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
lol
I was there too:
Also I got to see neck-06 and he's a very solid starter.:)

Darn, I wish I'd of known you were there.......

We sat on the WC side.. really nice folks, 2 different fans caught little footballs and then gave them to my granddaughters.. aawwww.. We were all wondering who was that lady who kept going up and down the stands, trying to get the crowd to stand up and cheer ? Mercy,, she was full of energy! Again, congrats on the win Roughnecks - and Neck_06 - get a good night's sleep.. you are bound to be exhausted, you were out there playing your heart out........

SintonFan
11-11-2005, 12:55 AM
Darn, I wish I'd of known you were there.......
Last minute decision...
blame p4s, she gave me the idea but I thought she was talking about tomorrow(I thought the game was Friday, you see).
66 and I both went and enjoyed a good defensive game(for the most part;)).

44INAROW
11-11-2005, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by Jody
Cuero better watch them necks. Sounded like a sloppy game, however that is not typical of them. Could give Cuero a run for their money this year.

Good luck to both.

Jody, since you seem to know enough about Cuero to know that we are over-rated, you should at least know what Division we play in :D :D Sorry I couldn't resist giving you a hard time :) :)

SintonFan
11-11-2005, 01:04 AM
We were on the 45 yard line on the scoreboard side. We were on the WC side, too. Can't help but blend in with them being maroon and white also.:D
Not trying to start anything but I couldn't help notice Gonzales. Goodness! I thought it was still Halloween with those colors!!!:eek: :doh:

44INAROW
11-11-2005, 01:06 AM
We were on the 45 yard line on the scoreboard side. We were on the WC side, too. Can't help but blend in with them being maroon and white also.:D
i]:eek: :doh:

That's what Gobbler Grad and I were talking about.. If West Columbia and Sinton played.. it would be a sea of Maroon...... We were not far - we were on the 40 of the south end on the WC side -

SintonFan
11-11-2005, 01:13 AM
That's what Gobbler Grad and I were talking about.. If West Columbia and Sinton played.. it would be a sea of Maroon...... We were not far - we were on the 40 of the south end on the WC side -
We found good seating even though we were late. It seems those WC folks like their space and don't pack in tightly like Sinton and Cuero does around the 50's.;) I did talk to a couple of WC folks after halftime and I asked them if they were a 1st or 2nd half team. The guy said, "No they usually play good all quarters." :inlove:

neck_94
11-11-2005, 01:50 AM
Gonzales was a good football team.
WC played sloppy on offense with fumbled snaps and PENALTIES!!! (gonzo prolly had something to do with that)...

But the defense played outstanding. Kept us in the game early...

scotty
11-11-2005, 07:34 AM
Football is a funny game. I saw Gonzales play Bellville and thought the Apaches were the weakest team I've seen all season. And now they put up a real good fight against a seemingly strong WC team. Just goes to show that games need to be determined on the field and not by pollsters.

gobbler grad
11-11-2005, 08:38 AM
Neck_06, you played a heck of a ballgame...defense is extremely quick to the ball...kept Gonzo off balanced for most of the game...good luck next week....:clap:

question: #4, very quick athlete...is he on the track team and what's his time in the 100 m.?

mac77
11-11-2005, 08:46 AM
That good game that Conzales put up was not that good. More like Columbia shootin themselves in the foot all night. #9 for Gonzales is a decent RB, he had 75 of their 88 total yards for the night. Gonzales was doing alot of crazy things on D and Columbia finally adjusted and played better in the 2nd Half. Even with all the penalties and bad play, Columbia still managed to roll up over 350 yards of offense. If they ever get that kind of defensive effort along with what their offense is capable of, it may be "Katy bar the door."

BU97
11-11-2005, 09:27 AM

Not trying to start anything but I couldn't help notice Gonzales. Goodness! I thought it was still Halloween with those colors!!!:eek: :doh: [/B]

Gonzales has to have the worst jerseys I have seen. I think they are actually worse than those awful Va Tech jerseys. I think that my eyes are still burning from having to look at them, it was like looking at the sun for too long!

BTW Congrats to the Necks!

scrub c
11-11-2005, 09:32 AM
amen to that BU97, See you on Monday @ scott's....

BU97
11-11-2005, 09:37 AM
What are we eating? Same place that it was at last year? All I know is that it is Monday and that I am going, I guess that is some of the details that they didn't figure that I needed to know!!

raider red 2000
11-11-2005, 09:37 AM
scrub- great job.

i wanted to make a big pancho villa sign.....maybe next week.

raider red 2000
11-11-2005, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by BU97
What are we eating? Same place that it was at last year? All I know is that it is Monday and that I am going, I guess that is some of the details that they didn't figure that I needed to know!!

you must be on that "need to know" basis also.

scrub c
11-11-2005, 10:21 AM
BBQ :D

BU97
11-11-2005, 11:05 AM
sweet, paycheck pm'd me directions, we about got lost last year.

Necked
11-11-2005, 11:55 AM
’Necks blank Apaches

By Joel Luna
The Facts

Published November 11, 2005

VICTORIA — With the help of LaQuincy Baugh’s legs and a stiff defensive effort, the Columbia Roughnecks will head into the second round of the playoffs.

The Roughnecks beat Gonzales 21-0 in a Class 3A, Region IV bi-district playoff game Thursday night at Memorial Stadium.

“Boy that first half was brutal, and man we put our defense in some tough situations with a fumble and a short kick,” Columbia head coach Brian Lane said. “But give credit to Gonzales. They confused us at times.”

Baugh, considered the fastest runner on the Columbia team, became the primary runner because leading Roughneck rusher Jared Flannel was nursing a sore foot. Though Flannel was suited up, he saw limited action in the game. The 5-foot-8 Baugh scored twice and finished with 163 yards on 10 carries.

With the Roughnecks up 7-0 in the third quarter, Columbia began its first drive of the second half at its own 24-yard line. After a couple of short gains on the first two plays, Baugh took a handoff on third down and ran right into the Apache defense. Bouncing off a tackler, Baugh kept his legs moving and made a complete circle after being hit before heading up field and into the end zone.

“I’ve got Jared’s back and tonight I knew I was going to be running the ball,” Baugh said. “I had to put this team on my back in order for us to keep moving forward.”

After Brian Rohde’s extra point sailed left of the goal post, the Roughnecks were up 13-0.

“He is the fastest on our team, and he dug us out of a hole tonight,” Lane said of Baugh.

Midway through the third stanza, the Roughnecks took over on their own 41-yard line. A 19-yard gain by Baugh on first down put the ball at the Gonzales 40. Eight plays later on third-and-goal, quarterback Tim Vernor snuck the ball into the end zone.

Vernor connected with Shane Minks for a two-point conversion for a 21-point lead and the final tally.

The Columbia defense had a stellar performance.

Gonzales reached the red zone four times in the first half, and each time the Roughneck defense stopped the Apaches on four plays.

Gonzales had its first opportunity after Columbia punter Rohde dropped the snap and the Apaches took over at the Columbia 21-yard line.

After reaching the 2-yard line and facing fourth down, Gonzales quarterback Jacob Bird took off toward the sideline with open field in front of him until Columbia linebacker James Woodard seemingly came out of nowhere to pull him down from behind at the 1 to preventing the score.

Later in the half Columbia punted out of its own end zone, and the Apaches took over at the Roughnecks’ 41.

Again the Apaches were in business after a dead ball penalty called against Columbia set them up at the 15-yard line. Gonzales tailback Kenneth Smith was tackled in the backfield for a six-yard loss on first down. Then facing third-and-seven, defensive lineman Jeremy Flanagan stopped Smith in the backfield for a two-yard loss. The Apaches turned the ball over on downs after an incompletion on fourth down.

Gonzales had another chance to score after a 16-yard punt by Tim Vernor with 7:35 remaining in the first half.

With the Apaches at the Roughnecks’ 24-yard line the Columbia defense rose to the occasion. Woodard sacked Nic Crozier on a fourth-down play and Gonzales turned the ball over on downs.

Another Columbia mistake gave Gonzales hope of a score. Vernor fumbled the ball at the Columbia 13-yard line and Gonzales lineman Tel Lindeman came up with the loose ball.

With 1:24 remaining before the half, the Apaches were called for holding on first down. Two straight incompletions then setup third-and-20. David Schautteet caught a pass for a 10-yard gain from Bird on third down, but on fourth down the Roughneck defense stiffened forcing Bird to throw an incomplete pass into the end zone.

“We just went out there and did what we had to do,” Woodard said. “We had to make stops, and we did all night.”

In the second half, the Apaches didn’t get past the Columbia 40-yard line. Smith, Gonzales’ leading rusher, was held to 75 yards on 25 carries. Columbia held the Apache offense to 88 yards of total offense on the night.

The Roughnecks opened the scoring on a seven-play, 73-yard drive, capped when Baugh ran 27 yards for a score down the right side. Baugh also had an 18-yard run in that drive.

Gonzales suffered a crucial setback on Columbia’s first drive when linebacker and place kicker Francisco Cortez left with an injured leg.

Columbia’s offense struggled in the first half, gaining just 101 yards of total offense.

Columbia finish with 85 yards in penalties, something Lane was not pleased about.

“That was just horrible,” Lane said.

Columbia will face the winner of the La Vernia and Kimberly matchup scheduled tonight in La Vernia.

44INAROW
11-11-2005, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Necked

Columbia will face the winner of the La Vernia and Kimberly .

:inlove: :inlove: KIMBERLY ha ha.. the Wimberley folks get upset when the "e" before the "y" is left out.. they ought to really like the "K" :D

RBARKER
11-11-2005, 12:39 PM
Congrats WC!!!!

Old Green
11-11-2005, 12:45 PM
lol
I was there too. Just got back in. Gonzales must not have a FG kicker because they should have been up 9-7 at the half. WC has a very athletic fast defense that showed me alot. Even though they turned the ball over a couple of times that D would not let the Apaches punch it in. Give Gonzales some credit, they weren't pushovers at all and played good defense for most of the game(well, I'm sure WC had something to do with that). After the first drive by WC they really adjusted well to what the necks were doing and came up big from halfway through the first Q to almost halfway through the 3rd Q. A defensive gem for 2 1/2 aint bad.
WC didn't play #22 for much of the 2nd or 3rd quarters, why I don't know. LaQuincy played for him most of that time and had some success, especially on that long TD in the 3rd.
Overall, WC is a very solid team with real good team speed all over the place. Nice defense for them to totally shut down Gonzales. I enjoyed it necks.:)
Now go out and kick some Wimberley butt!:thumbsup: :clap:
Also I got to see neck-06 and he's a very solid starter.:) I agree.:clap: Give Wimberley something else to gripe about for a whole year.:devil: :D

pirate4state
11-11-2005, 12:47 PM
:inlove: :inlove: KIMBERLY ha ha.. the Wimberley folks get upset when the "e" before the "y" is left out.. they ought to really like the "K" :D OMG!!! :o KIMBERLY *slaps knee and laughs hysterically* :evillaugh

slyder
11-11-2005, 12:59 PM
columbia did shoot theirselves in the foot, but they would not have given cuero that much trouble. they were better last year. #9 is a good athlete and their fans were very nice, but i wasn't "wow"ed by their team. i hope they go on to win, and wimberley is going to be tough. jody you have to just be joking about that comment. good luck necks good luck #9

Necked
11-11-2005, 01:24 PM
True, it wasn't a stellar performance last night. The offense is gonna hafta execute better than they did last night. We won't survive long giving Wimberley 4 posessions inside our own 30. That being said, game balls to:
LaQuincy Baugh: 10 carries 165 yds. He has filled in wonderfully for Flannel, with 3 straight 100 yrd games. :clap:

The defense: gave up 88 total yards, with 20 of those on a fake punt. Stuffed 4 Gonzo possesions deep inside our end, including one goal line stand. May very well have lost the game without them. :clap:

Gobbla2001
11-11-2005, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Necked
True, it wasn't a stellar performance last night. The offense is gonna hafta execute better than they did last night. We won't survive long giving Wimberley 4 posessions inside our own 30. That being said, game balls to:
LaQuincy Baugh: 10 carries 165 yds. He has filled in wonderfully for Flannel, with 3 straight 100 yrd games. :clap:

The defense: gave up 88 total yards, with 20 of those on a fake punt. Stuffed 4 Gonzo possesions deep inside our end, including one goal line stand. May very well have lost the game without them. :clap:

So do you think Flannel will be back next week?

That was a great defensive effort...

YEs, Wimberly has some size, but they're not as explosive offensively as you would think, so a tough defense may be able to keep 'em out of the endzone... when the other team's out of the endzone, your chances of winning are better :thinking:

Good luck next week, necks, I'll be rooting for you...

44INAROW
11-11-2005, 01:27 PM
Now that you mention Flannel, is he hurt?

Good Luck next week -I'll be rooting for you'll :)

Necked
11-11-2005, 01:40 PM
Yes, he is a little banged up. One of the Sharks from Palacios bit his foot (actually some kind of ligament strain). He can play, in fact he did get a couple of carries last night. But he didn't play at all on defense. Probably just resting him as much as they can. Too bad though, I was hoping a few big playoff games would get him some allstate recognition. He is such a stud. Plays full time on defense, gets up to 30 carries on offense. Glad we get him back next year....