PDA

View Full Version : Now the REAL playoffs start

Jacket2000
11-17-2002, 09:38 PM
Now that all the sub-.600 teams are playing basketball, the REAL playoffs start. Maybe it's just me, but I feel that if you dont even have a winning record, then you shouldn't be in the playoffs. So, Week 12 is probably my 3rd favorite time of the season(right behind Week 1 and Week 16)!
J2K

sinton66
11-17-2002, 09:50 PM
I don't think you'll get any arguments out of anybody on that one Jacket. I'm all excited.

jason
11-17-2002, 09:59 PM
I agree...that and that one weekend in March in Austin for hoops

sinton66
11-17-2002, 10:14 PM
For some silly reason, I kinda like June in Austin too! :D

Jacket2000
11-17-2002, 10:18 PM
jason:
I agree...that and that one weekend in March in Austin for hoopsThat is a sacreligious statement and Id ban you for that if I could!
J2K

AggieJohn
11-18-2002, 03:07 PM
umm.....small problem jacket...we are a .545 team...and are in the second round of the playoffs!!! does that make us unworthy....

AggieJohn
11-18-2002, 03:11 PM
umm.....small problem jacket...we are a .545 team...and are in the second round of the playoffs!!! does that make us unworthy....

Pudlugger
11-18-2002, 03:17 PM
explayer2001:
umm.....small problem jacket...we are a .545 team...and are in the second round of the playoffs!!! does that make us unworthy....Not as far as I'm concerned as Liberty is winning at this level and that says something. :)

<small>[ November 18, 2002, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: Pudlugger ]</small>

Jacket2000
11-18-2002, 06:22 PM
Well, to tell the truth, in my opinion, no. If you dont finish the season with a winning record, then I dont believe that you should be in the playoffs. But, that's just my opinion. That and 75 cents'll getcha a cup of coffee.
J2K

ThaRealBulldog
11-18-2002, 06:57 PM
Looks like Carthage made it to the "real" playoffs, Horay!

Da Mules
11-18-2002, 09:25 PM
I'm going to respekfully disagree with you on this one Jacket. While it is true that nearly all the sub.600 teams lose out the first round, you upon occasion get a 4-6 Cinderella like Monahans in 1999 (I think it was 1999), that makes it about 4-5 rounds past everybody's wise expectations. The playoffs and the whole darn thing is still basically for the benefit of the kids; not us ol haz-beens and purists. Those Cindyrellas are never gonna forget their magic carpet ride...the current playoff system has it's flaws, yes, but the 5-class system is a greater flaw as a whole, and restricting the playoff spots would only make it even more unfair.

Jacket2000
11-18-2002, 09:45 PM
Actually,Monahans had their year in '98.
But, it seems that you have taken the "Im ok, you're ok" attitude. Maybe the UIL should start giving out participation trophies, eh?
J2K

AggieJohn
11-18-2002, 11:34 PM
im not going to consider liberty a cinderella yet...they only have won one game in playoff's...but if they win fri vs. bellville..i'll send pic of me with slippers on all across this thread

Old Dog
11-19-2002, 12:56 AM
Da Mules....VERY good post. I must admit I am too critical of the playoff system and this whole thing should be for the kids, not us ole timers to relive our past limited glory.

Da Mules
11-19-2002, 03:50 PM
Now J2K, I don't think my position is at all as "touchy-feely" as that :) The standard for making the playoffs is finishing in the top 3 in your district; not "participating". As you pointed out, this standard can & often does result in sub.500 teams making the playoffs, and admittedly, these teams are normal outa there the first go-round. Let this year's Muleshoe team serve as a good example of all of the above: won just enough district games to make 3rd place, and got thumped pretty soundly in the first round. (By the way, that sub-par BS :mad: won't continue; we've got a good program, good coaches, and a good crop of athletes coming up--but that's another subject, sorry to digress.) But none the less, da Mules struggled, straggled, and skritched & skratched to qualify for the playoffs. If that's a participation award, I know at least 3 other schools in this district who also gave it their best shot, and would have been DELIGHTED :D to have earned it! It's all for the kids, and one of these days another Cindyrella team is gonna win it all wink

The8thLace63
11-19-2002, 04:00 PM
I bet Liberty is happy they don't have to play newton again in the first round like they have like 4 times out of the last 6 years. Can't really blame them. I'm glad to see them winning but they better be ready for Belville.

Jacket2000
11-19-2002, 04:56 PM
Da Mules:
Now J2K, I don't think my position is at all as "touchy-feely" as that :) The standard for making the playoffs is finishing in the top 3 in your district; not "participating". As you pointed out, this standard can & often does result in sub.500 teams making the playoffs, and admittedly, these teams are normal outa there the first go-round. Let this year's Muleshoe team serve as a good example of all of the above: won just enough district games to make 3rd place, and got thumped pretty soundly in the first round. (By the way, that sub-par BS :mad: won't continue; we've got a good program, good coaches, and a good crop of athletes coming up--but that's another subject, sorry to digress.) But none the less, da Mules struggled, straggled, and skritched & skratched to qualify for the playoffs. If that's a participation award, I know at least 3 other schools in this district who also gave it their best shot, and would have been DELIGHTED :D to have earned it! It's all for the kids, and one of these days another Cindyrella team is gonna win it all wink Well, I also think that 3 playoff teams is entirely too many. It's sad when 50% of the teams in a district make the playoffs. The only time that 3 teams should make the playoffs is in an 8 team district.
J2K