PDA

View Full Version : Columbia to face improved Apaches squad (Victoria Advocate)

Gobbla2001
11-10-2005, 01:20 PM
Columbia to face improved Apaches squad

http://www.thevictoriaadvocate.com/ips_rich_content/yoakum_vs_gonz_fball_06_sm.jpg

November 10, 2005

MIKE FORMAN
Advocate Sports Writer

It comes as no great surprise that Columbia coach Brian Lane kept a close eye on the District 26-3A standings this season.

The Roughnecks went 9-1 last season and won the District 25-3A title only to be matched up against top-ranked Cuero in the Division I bi-district playoffs.

Cuero not only ruined Lane's return to Memorial Stadium, where he played football at Victoria High, but also ended Columbia's season with a 21-7 win.

Lane knew the possibility of a rematch existed this season and was relieved when he learned Cuero was headed to the postseason in Division II.

"Yes, it was a relief," Lane said. "They've been No. 1 in the state two years in a row. Coach (Mark) Reeve and Travis (Reeve) do a great job and they give it to you pretty good. It's a fun little rivalry, but I was glad we didn't have to play them."

That's not to say Columbia (8-1) is anxious to play Gonzales (6-3) when it returns to Memorial Stadium for today's 7:30 p.m. Division I bi-district game.

"You look at the whole bracket and it's really strong," Lane said. "Gonzales has played a tough schedule. Two of their losses have come to Cuero and Bellville. Gonzales has earned the right to be here."

The Apaches will make their first playoff appearance since 2002 when they came to Memorial Stadium and lost 33-21 to Wharton in a Division I playoff game. Lineman Ryan Arellano is the only Gonzales player to have played in that game.

"We really haven't addressed it that much," Gonzales coach Bruce Salmon said of his team's lack of playoff experience. "We played Bellville and Cuero and scrimmaged Wimberley and Rice Consolidated. We've played tough competition."

Gonzales is also coming off a 15-12 win over Hallettsville, which allowed it to finish second in district.

"That was a regional finals team last year," Salmon said of Hallettsville. "That was a hard-fought deal and a huge confidence builder for us."

Columbia repeated as District 25-3A champion and its only blemish this season was a 35-28 loss to Lamar Consolidated, which went 10-0 and won the District 24-4A championship.

Lane admits the Roughnecks aren't as strong defensively as they were last year, but they are more potent on offense.

"We lost two all-state defensive linemen and sent a third one to college," Lane said. "Obviously, we're not as good up front. The biggest difference is getting a pass rush. Offensively, we are better. We had nine starters coming back on offense. We expected to better."

Columbia prefers to run the ball, but won't shy away from the pass. Running back Jared Flannel has rushed for 1,211 and 12 touchdowns despite missing the last two games with an injury. Quarterbacks Shane Minks and Tim Vernor have combined to pass for 1,240 yards and seven touchdowns.

"If we can hold people down, we can move the football," Lane said. "We're playing more offensive ball than defensive ball. We want to run the football. If we can run the football, we can keep our defense off the field and keep them rested."

Gonzales finished second in district behind Cuero in team defense, yielding just over 240 yards per game.

"That's been the biggest turnaround," Salmon said. "We were banged up a lot on offense and our defense came through and kept us in a lot of ballgames."

Gonzales has had a good mix on offense with about 57 percent of its yardage coming via the run. Running back Kenneth Smith has rushed for 945 yards and six touchdowns, quarterback Nic Crozier has passed for 810 yards and seven touchdowns, and wide receiver David Schautteet has shown a knack for making big plays by catching 24 passes for 483 yards and six touchdowns and throwing a touchdown pass against Cuero.

"The trick for us is to control the line of scrimmage on both sides," Salmon said. "We want to control the ball on offense and get big stops on defense. We have to force them to drive the field and make them work for what they get."

The teams have had to accelerate their schedules to play on Thursday, but it could pay dividends for the winning team, which will advance to the regional round against the winner of Friday night's Wimberley-La Vernia game.

"It's kind of a Catch 22 thing," Lane said. "If you win, it's great. If you lose, you don't look so smart."

neck_06
11-10-2005, 02:10 PM
"It's kind of a Catch 22 thing," Lane said. "If you win, it's great. If you lose, you don't look so smart."

i know this isn't what he meant by it, but 22 is Flannel's number!

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

SintonFan
11-10-2005, 02:17 PM
The games today????????????
Hmmmmmmmmm....
I think I might make this one.:)
Gotta get off early though.:doh:

44INAROW
11-10-2005, 02:17 PM
Good Luck Shane. we'll be there watching :clap: :clap:

SintonFan_inAustin
11-10-2005, 08:17 PM
Corpus Christ Sports writer wrote round 2 matchup most likely Sinton vs Zapata and Wimberely vs Gonzales....... He must know nothing about West Columbia :D was hoping to make it to the game but didnt get out early enough to make the drive to Victoria Good luck both teams but West Columbia takes this 34-7