PDA

View Full Version : State CrossCountry to be tighter this year.

Old Cardinal
11-10-2005, 12:32 AM
Last year Bridge City totally dominated the State meet! It will be much closer this year. BC lost Sleeman to a 5A program via the RITA storm displacement he was a Senior and a point maker as their 5th or 4th finisher. Coupled with that, the team as dispursed for well over 3 weeks because of the evacuation situation imposed. Lufkin Hudson, a 3A that plays no football as been concentrating all their male athletes during football season to win C-C. Pharr Valley View has some transfers in that beefed up there program to shoot for a state win. As always Barbers Hill will be a formiable foe. Canyon has a great program and will be extra poised this year.
It will not be a runaway for any team this year and should be quite and interesting meet.

Hupernikomen
11-10-2005, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
Last year Bridge City totally dominated the State meet! It will be much closer this year. BC lost Sleeman to a 5A program via the RITA storm displacement he was a Senior and a point maker as their 5th or 4th finisher. Coupled with that, the team as dispursed for well over 3 weeks because of the evacuation situation imposed. Lufkin Hudson, a 3A that plays no football as been concentrating all their male athletes during football season to win C-C. Pharr Valley View has some transfers in that beefed up there program to shoot for a state win. As always Barbers Hill will be a formiable foe. Canyon has a great program and will be extra poised this year.
It will not be a runaway for any team this year and should be quite and interesting meet.

Barbers Hill will be lucky to have one place in the top 20...Canyon and Decatur will be in a close battle with BC for the championship. Good luck to the Cards.

PhiI C
11-10-2005, 12:57 AM
I have a friend that got third in state cross country about 25 years ago. Usually at that distance the first three players were always many yards apart so they had it roped off the last 100 yards and the runners couldn't pass each other. All three of them got there at about the same time but the ones that reached the ropes first had first and second and third cinched since they couldn't pass each other. A shame though. I don't know if the results would have been changed but it would have made an unusually great ending. I hope they don't have it roped off still.

Hupernikomen
11-10-2005, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by PhiI C
I have a friend that got third in state cross country about 25 years ago. Usually at that distance the first three players were always many yards apart so they had it roped off the last 100 yards and the runners couldn't pass each other. All three of them got there at about the same time but the ones that reached the ropes first had first and second and third cinched since they couldn't pass each other. A shame though. I don't know if the results would have been changed but it would have made an unusually great ending. I hope they don't have it roped off still.

Well the ropes are no different than the hay bales that Liberty puts out on their course..you gotta know they are there and plan your race accordingly. This isn't tiddledewinks man this is the great sport of crosscountry foot racing!!

Phil C
11-10-2005, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
Well the ropes are no different than the hay bales that Liberty puts out on their course..you gotta know they are there and plan your race accordingly. This isn't tiddledewinks man this is the great sport of crosscountry foot racing!!

True but is the race is for 2 miles not 1.99 miles. :)

Hupernikomen
11-13-2005, 10:30 PM
Race came down to BC, Canyon and Decatur as expected. Decatur came out on top of what appeared to be a much slower race this year compared to last. Wonder what the track conditions were like? Many of last year's runners had considerably slower times versus last year.

Aaron Brannen won individual gold medal again this year for the BC Cards..congrats to him.

DHS_EagleFan
11-13-2005, 10:57 PM
Decatur won both boys & girls. How many times has that been done?:clap: :clap: :clap:

LH Panther Mom
11-13-2005, 10:59 PM
I just want to say congrats to Janet Suarez for making it to the state meet. :)