PDA

View Full Version : Trash Talking (general thoughts)

sinton66
08-31-2003, 11:57 AM
I'm going to step out here, and give an opinion based on my 55 years of life and many years of watching Texas high school football.

In my experience over the years, I have found that trash talking about opposing teams before a game is actually counter-productive to your team's efforts about 85% of the time. I know it's a hard thing to resist and engaged in it myself many years ago. From where I sit, if one can accept this as "truth", it just doesn't make any sense to engage in it.

I learned over the years to prefer intelligent exchange of info between opposing fans, and to be satisfied with letting the kids settle all questions on the field of play. After all, the kids, not the fans, are the ones on the field.

I also learned that it is extremely important to respect your opponents and to show that you do. This is based on a belief that you cannot truly respect yourself until you learn to respect others. It is true also that if you give respect, you will get respect in return.

With all of the above in mind, I will also say that I feel very fortunate to have found 3ADownlow. This is the classiest board I have ever seen anywhere. I've found a "home". I hope the rest of you have also.

Feel free to discuss this.

<small>[ August 31, 2003, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

bd0707
08-31-2003, 12:19 PM
I agree with you wholeheartedly 66, this type of logic however often falls on deaf ears in generation X. I say often and not always because we have been fortunate to have attracted many insightful young people to our family. I would also like to say to anyone compelled to trash talk on this sight, we simply and honestly are not impressed.

kaorder1999
08-31-2003, 12:23 PM
trash talking is stupid

Chief Woodman
08-31-2003, 01:18 PM
Why do you think it is called trash talk? Because like garbage, it has no value. Therefore it should be disregarded.

slpybear the bullfan
08-31-2003, 01:22 PM
Thanks Sinton66, you just gave me a great poll topic for the Slpybear Weekly Poll!

sinton66
08-31-2003, 01:31 PM
Chief Woodman:
Why do you think it is called trash talk? Because like garbage, it has no value. Therefore it should be disregarded.I understand your sentiment, Chief,and agree on principle, but I also feel it has certain detrimental effects that shouldn't be ignored. I have seen trash talk get so bad that one team or the other will get caught up in it and result in taking "cheap shots" at the other teams' players which in my opinion contributes to a lot of injuries. In other words, it fosters a "headhunter" mentality that gets people hurt. "Murphy's law" says the one that gets hurt will be the one most important to your team's success.(Sinton, for example, lost our center and MLB for the season last year in week 1 against G-P)

<small>[ August 31, 2003, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

JasperDog94
08-31-2003, 04:51 PM
I have seen first hand what trash talkin can do. One year in college, our football team (4-1) was playing another team (0-4) so the band started chanting "0 and 4, 0 and 4". I think that severely irritated the opposing team. They beat our team up and down the field. eek! So be careful if you want to trash talk. You could be giving bulletin board material. :o

Ranger Mom
08-31-2003, 07:34 PM
Very good post 66. You all know how I feel about it. :mad:

PhiI C
09-01-2003, 09:41 AM
I agree with you Sinton 66. Trash talking should not take place anywhere but especially in HS football. We sometimes forget that the schools are friendly rivals and not bitter enemies.

sinton66
09-01-2003, 09:51 AM
The kids take their clues from "US", the adults. Don't kid yourselves into believing that you can get on a BBS and talk trash without the kids knowing it. If you're really good at it, you can accidentally convince your kids they're "untouchable". Makes for some BIG surprizes in the playoffs.( and please believe I didn't mean this to single anybody in particular out, just talking generalities).

<small>[ September 01, 2003, 10:20 AM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

Old Cardinal
09-01-2003, 12:34 PM
I don't believe that "trash talk" is productive; however, I think that it's OK for folks to express their opinions without ""pussy-footing" around. I make a lot of predictions and Pics., I am right sometimes and dead wrong sometimes. That is what I like to hear form others, also...Kinda like an old show called Dragnet, "Just the facts Mam, nothing but the facts!"

sinton66
09-01-2003, 12:44 PM
Old Cardinal, there is a BIG difference in what you do and what I'm talking about. Predictions and matter-of-fact opinions are done by all of us. That's what I would call "noise-talking". What I'm talking about is the "we're gonna break your arms and legs and hand you your arses" kind of stuff. Those things a wise man would leave unsaid .

<small>[ September 01, 2003, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

Old Cardinal
09-01-2003, 12:48 PM
I totally agree Sinton 66!!

Old Tiger
09-01-2003, 01:19 PM
It's pointless to talk trash. Especially over the internet to people you will most likely not meet.

crzyjournalist03
09-01-2003, 07:30 PM
Ya'll just don't like trash talking because none of you have a good enough team to brag about. You all know that you'd get killed against Forney. We'd beat you all so bad that you'd never want to post anything again. Forney is the absolute greatest. There is none better. All bow before the mighty JACKRABBITS!!!!

Now, how many of you read that post and immediately felt something sour in your stomach? Trash talking is ridiculous. It makes the poster look like an absolute idiot as well as damage the credibility of all posters representing the school. Although I am a huge Forney fan, I would never make any comments such as the ones above (other than to prove this point). In Forney, we pride ourselves on being respectable winners. We don't want to show any kind of any disrespect toward any of the teams that we play. You'll never hear any coach or player talk bad about a team that we play no matter how bad the outcome of the game is. Football is a sacred game in Texas. Win big or lose big, it's just great to be a part of such an intriguing sport. Trash talking is nothing more than a distracting sideshow that can really ruin the spirit and competition of the game. If you like trash talking, there's something called WWE that would more than willingly welcome you. There's no place for that kind of talk in regards to football.

sinton66
09-01-2003, 07:43 PM
Wise beyond your years, my young rabbit friend!

JasperDog94
09-01-2003, 09:49 PM
Crazy,

I couldn't believe that was you in that first paragraph! I thought I was seeing things. :D Good point.

merlin69
09-01-2003, 10:18 PM
Ya'll just don't like trash talking because none of you have a good enough team to brag about. You all know that you'd get killed against Forney. We'd beat you all so bad that you'd never want to post anything again. Forney is the absolute greatest. There is none better. All bow before the mighty JACKRABBITS!!!!

Now, how many of you read that post and immediately felt something sour in your stomach? Trash talking is ridiculous. It makes the poster look like an absolute idiot as well as damage the credibility of all posters representing the school. Although I am a huge Forney fan, I would never make any comments such as the ones above (other than to prove this point). In Forney, we pride ourselves on being respectable winners. We don't want to show any kind of any disrespect toward any of the teams that we play. You'll never hear any coach or player talk bad about a team that we play no matter how bad the outcome of the game is. Football is a sacred game in Texas. Win big or lose big, it's just great to be a part of such an intriguing sport. Trash talking is nothing more than a distracting sideshow that can really ruin the spirit and competition of the game. If you like trash talking, there's something called WWE that would more than willingly welcome you. There's no place for that kind of talk in regards to football.

Crazyjournalist, obviously didnt make it to the 7 on 7 team fight against sulphur springs, prolly cause he was gettin a beating of his own lol. the fact is the same cant be said for all forney players and coaches. A forney dad even tried to fight with a sulphur springs player. but most of them have more class than others.

audasmom7
09-01-2003, 10:54 PM
Mine is if you dont talk any there won't
be any.............................

audasmom7
09-01-2003, 10:58 PM
I think he's just big ............................... not bad

Ranger Mom
09-01-2003, 10:59 PM
audasmom7:
Mine is if you dont talk any there won't
be any.............................Very good point, Audasmom!! :D

Phil C
09-02-2003, 09:09 AM
Hey Sinton 66. Check your pms.

crzyjournalist03
09-02-2003, 06:03 PM
Want a prime example of what we've all been talking about??? Check the Forney vs. Mesquite Horn thread.

3afan2K3
09-02-2003, 06:12 PM
crzyjournalist03:

Now, how many of you read that post and immediately felt something sour in your stomach? Trash talking is ridiculous. It makes the poster look like an absolute idiot as well as damage the credibility of all posters representing the school. Although I am a huge Forney fan, I would never make any comments such as the ones above (other than to prove this point). In Forney, we pride ourselves on being respectable winners. We don't want to show any kind of any disrespect toward any of the teams that we play. You'll never hear any coach or player talk bad about a team that we play no matter how bad the outcome of the game is. Football is a sacred game in Texas. Win big or lose big, it's just great to be a part of such an intriguing sport. Trash talking is nothing more than a distracting sideshow that can really ruin the spirit and competition of the game. If you like trash talking, there's something called WWE that would more than willingly welcome you. There's no place for that kind of talk in regards to football.Now just wait one minute, there is nothing wrong with wrestling!! It's a sport just like football with the same risk's and rewards. EX. Kurt Angle, broke his neck during a match did he lay down and throw in the towl? NO he finished the match to give the fans what they wanted and then walked off on his own. So don't go around bashing wrestling!!

crzyjournalist03
09-02-2003, 06:14 PM
[sigh] for some reason, I had a feeling you'd be the one to say something about that.

crzyjournalist03
09-02-2003, 06:21 PM
And here's a pm I just received:

Author Topic: Commerce / Forney
Commerce Fan
Scrub
Member # 3007 posted September 02, 2003 03:40 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Forney had better get the wins in now against those nobody teams because those mighty TIGERS will come and put a big 1 under the lost column for those Jackrabits and that brand new State of the art stadium. TOO BAD SO SAD! You know if that Forney coach would come out of the dark ages and play real football I don't even think Commerce could come with in 2 touchdowns but then again if elephants could fly????????????

--------------------
Tigers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sinton66
09-02-2003, 06:43 PM
crzyjournalist03, You can add him to your "ignore" list. That way he can't send you pm's anymore and will HAVE to challenge you in an open forum. wink

3afan2K3
09-02-2003, 06:52 PM
I have a feeling Commerce Fan is gonna be a ROM soon.

crzyjournalist03
09-03-2003, 10:56 AM
3afan2K3:
I have a feeling Commerce Fan is gonna be a ROM soon.my thoughts exactly.