PDA

View Full Version : Canyon - Cooper

football4life
11-09-2005, 09:30 PM
We will be traveling to cooper for this one. This will be the 3rd time in two years we have played each other, and we beat them there last year 26-20 i believe. Should be a good physical game, with cooper being the power running offense they are. We put up 45 on their D in the meeting earlier this year, winning 45-28. (with a mop-up TD at the very end for cooper) I'm sure cooper has gotten better, as have we, especially on D. I'll say Canyon 35, cooper 17.

sweetwater07
11-09-2005, 09:32 PM
i hear canyon is not half bad this year and i am not impressed with cooper being as we smoked them 48-6 in the regular season so i will say canyon-35 lubbock cooper-12

trenchdweller
11-10-2005, 02:16 PM
didnt sweetwater comeback in week 12 lastyear and beat the piarates avenging a week 0 loss... dont judge a team on how they played early pirates can win this one

DaHop72
11-10-2005, 02:20 PM
Canyon is a close one.

GWOOD
11-10-2005, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by trenchdweller
didnt sweetwater comeback in week 12 lastyear and beat the piarates avenging a week 0 loss... dont judge a team on how they played early pirates can win this one

In 2001, Greenwood beat Crane in a non-district game 17-0. Held them to less than 100 yards total offense. We meet them in bi-district and get beat 19-13.

send 'em all
11-10-2005, 03:09 PM
It's tough to beat a good team twice in one year. Especially when you have to play them at home...

strata_0
11-10-2005, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by sweetwater07
i hear canyon is not half bad this year and i am not impressed with cooper being as we smoked them 48-6 in the regular season so i will say canyon-35 lubbock cooper-12

Half bad? They are very good. Canyon would give sweetwater more than they could handle!! Sweetwater might be happy Cooper is not small school this year.

Lost @ BOB
11-10-2005, 04:03 PM
It is great when people use comparison of score, and/or results of the past to determine who should beat who in a given game. Yes, Cooper lost to Sweetwater in week 0, yes Cooper lost to Canyon, but does that mean anything concerning tomorrow? I think not. Not to cite too many instances, but Cooper/Sweetwater 2004, as well as Sweetwater/Snyder 2004 come to mind immediately. This example, however, is not applicable in the Cooper/Muleshoe rivalry as Cooper pounds them on a yearly basis. Good luck & Godspeed to all!

mulefan
11-10-2005, 08:03 PM
cooper does not always pound us. cooper has a great team and its always back and forth.

Da Mules
11-10-2005, 09:45 PM
Cooper beat da Mules the last two years straight. The first time Cooper has won a game since 1996. That's your idea of always pounding Muleshoe....
oh, how did your junior high, freshman, and JV teams do this year against Muleshoe... hmmm, not so good?
Enjoy it while you can.

football4life
11-10-2005, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Da Mules
Cooper beat da Mules the last two years straight. The first time Cooper has won a game since 1996. That's your idea of always pounding Muleshoe....
oh, how did your junior high, freshman, and JV teams do this year against Muleshoe... hmmm, not so good?
Enjoy it while you can.

That doesn't always necessarily mean success at the next level. Varsity combines all grades, not just one, so its a whole different ball game. On the matter of playing a team twice, it is very difficult to beat a good team twice, and it will be difficult for us to do that tomorrow night. Should be a great game.

send 'em all
11-11-2005, 12:25 AM
Looking forward to it... It will definitely be a battle.

jmcgee
11-11-2005, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by strata_0
Half bad? They are very good. Canyon would give sweetwater more than they could handle!! Sweetwater might be happy Cooper is not small school this year. Are you sure about that. Are U absolutely sure that canyon would give Sweetwater more than they could handle. Dont talk any crap if your not in the same playoff div. It just makes people like me madd. I hope Cooper tears yall a new @$$hole

Da Mules
11-11-2005, 08:41 AM
uh, jm... strata is a Cooper poster. So which team do ya really want to see tear? :D :D

On principle, I gotta say: GO 2-3A! Get em PieRats!

Black_Magic
11-11-2005, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by jmcgee
Are you sure about that. Are U absolutely sure that canyon would give Sweetwater more than they could handle. Dont talk any crap if your not in the same playoff div. It just makes people like me madd. :eek: :eek: You dont want to do that:clap: :clap:

football4life
11-11-2005, 01:04 PM
Are you sure about that. Are U absolutely sure that canyon would give Sweetwater more than they could handle. Dont talk any crap if your not in the same playoff div. It just makes people like me madd. I hope Cooper tears yall a new @$$hole

Yea i think you might be slightly confused on who is ripping who here. If there are any other canyon posters on here besides me, which i seriously doubt there are, then we wouldn't be talking about playing sweetwater or anyone else, considering that it wont ever happen. Also, take it easy man! It doesn't really help the situation when you go off saying you hope they tear us a new a-hole. :rolleyes:

football4life
11-11-2005, 01:06 PM
Articly from the globe news today:

\The Canyon Eagles and the Lubbock Cooper Pirates might be a little tired of seeing each other.
Canyon and Cooper meet for the third time in two seasons when the Eagles (9-1) and the Pirates (7-3) hook up in a Class 3A Division I bidistrict playoff starting at 7:30 tonight at Pirate Stadium.

Canyon has won the previous two games in the series. Unlike the last two meetings, this is the playoffs.

"That has to give the kids a great deal of confidence going into this game," Canyon coach Blake Bryant said. "But this is the playoffs. This time of year it doesn't matter if you're playing at their place or at our place or even on the sidewalk somewhere. You're going to be up and ready to play and it doesn't matter where you play."

The Eagles have beaten the Pirates twice in a row. On Sept. 30, Canyon's high-octane offense scalded the Pirates 45-28 at Kimbrough Memorial Stadium. In 2004 nondistrict play, a late punt return for a touchdown by Cooper was called back because of penalty and Canyon won 25-20 at Cooper.

"Gosh I hope it's our turn," Cooper coach John Windham said. "It's awfully tough to beat a team three times in a row and that's what we've been telling the kids. The first game was close and could have gone either way. When we played this year we couldn't stop their passing at all. We're a little more mature now. The kids are excited because this is the playoffs."

Canyon Eagles (9-1) at Cooper Pirates (7-3)

Game Time: 7:30 p.m., Pirate Stadium.

Tickets: $5.

Radio: KZRK, 1550-AM.

Up Next: The winner between Abilene Wylie (8-2) and Seminole (5-5).

Quick Hit: Canyon has beaten Cooper twice the last two seasons, 25-2- in 2004 and 45-28 on Sept. 30.

Cooper has a grass field and the Pirates are a running team. Canyon is a pass-first team and likes the new-generation artificial turf. Bryant offered to play Cooper on Lowrey Field's artificial turf but Cooper wanted to play on grass. The two teams eventually elected to flip home-and-home and Cooper won.

When the two teams met earlier this season, both attacks found cracks in the opposing defenses. Canyon had one of its best offensive games of the season as it piled up 510 yards and 45 points. Anthony Ramos completed 23 of 31 passes for 371 yards and four touchdowns without an interception. Brady Bressler caught five passes for 168 yards and three touchdowns. Jake Romero ran for 72 yards.

"What's amazing to us is that their quarterback has only thrown one interception all year," Windham said. "He is an exceptional athlete who can hurt you running the ball. That really puts a lot of pressure on your defense to have to both watch run and pass."

This season Ramos has completed 180 of 250 passes for 2,802 yards with 29 touchdowns and one interception. The Eagles have the top three Class 3A receivers in the area. Jared Peddy has 66 catches for 867 yards and nine touchdowns. Greg Franklin has 52 catches for 851 yards and seven touchdowns. Bressler has 36 catches for 811 yards and 12 touchdowns.

Cooper exploited Canyon's defense for 511 yards, including 334 on the ground. Running back Jamar Cooks had 107 yards and quarterback Trey Wood rushed for 104 yards. Wood also completed 10 of 17 passes for 177 yards, including two touchdowns. Cooks has 1,026 rushing yards and 10 touchdowns for the season. Wood has run for 1,095 yards and 17 touchdowns and thrown for 673 yards and five touchdowns. Cooper uses a slot-I formation.

"I'm sure they're going to do the same thing," Bryant said. "They've got the best offensive line we've seen this year and that quarterback is the best we've seen this year. Our kids are well aware of how good Cooper is and the know they're going to see a different team from what we saw the first time. We're asking them not to worry so much about who they're playing as much as playing the best game they can possibly play. That seems to take some of the pressure off and makes them compete against themselves."

strata_0
11-11-2005, 02:14 PM
Are you sure about that. Are U absolutely sure that canyon would give Sweetwater more than they could handle. Dont talk any crap if your not in the same playoff div. It just makes people like me madd. I hope Cooper tears yall a new @$$hole

Wow, those sweetwater kids are quick to fire a shot!!!!
Was not talking "crap" just stating my opinion.

Might need to do some research first!!

eagleman
11-11-2005, 02:39 PM
There is another Canyon poster and all I'll say is "one week at a time" and it all begins tonight and it will definitely be a hard-fought game on both sides of the ball.

Da Mules
11-11-2005, 04:25 PM
yeah JM, I think it was Mr. Strata who riled you, not the Canyon people. I haven't ever seen a smart-A$$ poster from Canyon on the D'low. Some of the Lubbock Cooper posters can be a mite pert.

F4life, good luck to the Iggles. That ought to be a whale of a game.

Now I follow what you're saying about no guarantees at varsity level. But if you look at the successful programs, you will clearly see their lower grade teams basically outplayed their peers all along the line, and by & large, unless a major change occurs, the team that got it's butt kicked since the 7th grade isn't going to contend for the district championship when they are seniors. No disrespect intended to Clyde, but look at the Sweetwater vs Clyde series. I believe the Stangs have beaten Clyde at all levels for the past few years. So unless something major changes at Clyde, I don't look for them to beat Sweetwater next year either.

Mustangpride09
11-11-2005, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by send 'em all
It's tough to beat a good team twice in one year. Especially when you have to play them at home...

yeah, a "good" team, not the team the caliber of lubbock cooper.

Mustangpride09
11-11-2005, 06:54 PM
Half bad? They are very good. Canyon would give sweetwater more than they could handle!! Sweetwater might be happy Cooper is not small school this year.

are...you....joking? you'll be lucky to even MAKE it to regionals much less win it. the only thing canyon will be seeing a deep run in the playoffs for a very long time will be womens basketball.....

sweetwater07
11-11-2005, 07:46 PM
Wow, those sweetwater kids are quick to fire a shot!!!!
Was not talking "crap" just stating my opinion.

Might need to do some research first!!

not all sweetwater kids...i actually think he isn't a student...think me might be a parent or something

sweetwater07
11-11-2005, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Mustangpride09
are...you....joking? you'll be lucky to even MAKE it to regionals much less win it. the only thing canyon will be seeing a deep run in the playoffs for a very long time will be womens basketball.....

speaking of that girls basketball...WOW!!.......as far as playing us i don't think yall will make it that far....i know i'll catch some crap but its just my opinion