PDA

View Full Version : Greenwood boy tackles blindness while pursuing gridiron dream

Ranger Mom
11-09-2005, 07:59 PM
Every week, the lights of Friday night football shine bright over West Texas. But, there's one football player who can't see those lights ... or the crowd, the ball, or the grass.

But what he can see, is that he's helping others 'see,' and believe that nothing is impossible ... not even playing football when you're blind.

The Greenwood Panthers are preparing for a big game. In fact, it's the biggest ... it's the championship.

They've come this far because each player has a unique talent, a crafted skill ... including #57, Dillon Collier.

"We already know we're going to win," Collier predicted.

It's that kind of confidence that continues to amaze people who watch Collier play ... because he's doing all of this blind.

"You know, I can't see," Collier confirmed. "And a lot of people think that a blind person can't play football."

But this courageous youngster has proven those people wrong.

"You can do anything ... anything's possible," he suggested.

As game time nears, Collier and his team are ready.

"Guys, this is it," coach Bernie Kraft tells the team. "If you're going to the 'super bowl,' this is the time to do it."

On the field, Collier runs, 'looking' for a block.

"My job is to block for the quarterback," he described. "I have to make sure that they can't get to our quarterback, and get the ball."

Collier is able to do this with the help of his teammates, and his coach, who communicates with Collier through a radio set-up in his helmet.

"Right there, Dillon, right there," the coach says into his walkie-talki. "Stop, Dillon, stop, stop. Turn right, turn right. Come straight back - don't hit the ref - there you go."

"I talk to him in the helmet, and tell him where to go when the ball's snapped," said Kraft. "And, after that, it's basically on him. And, he knows he can get hit ... but he'll hit you, too."

After each play, Collier runs to the sidelines, gets a hug from his coach and cheers from the crowd.

With each snap of the ball, with each play, #57, Dillon Collier, is proving a point ... that, with enough heart and with enough hope, no player, no defender, no person can tackle a dream.

"I say, that you can do anything, if you put your mind to it," Collier stressed.

This is Collier's first year of playing competitive football. He says it was always something that he wanted to do.

His coach says he got the idea of using walkie-talkies from seeing NFL players and coaches use them during professional football games.

Sidenote: The "superbowl" was played this past weekend, while I can't remember if the Greenwood Panthers won or not, Dillon sacked the opposing QB twice that game! I believe Dillon is in 6th grade.

FootballChik98
11-09-2005, 08:09 PM
Great story. Thanks for sharing RM.

Gobbler Fan
11-09-2005, 08:53 PM
:clap:

HillBoy
11-09-2005, 09:31 PM
Awesome story, that is just amazing.

Ranger05
11-09-2005, 10:32 PM
wow thats amazing i wish i could have watched him play

BMOC
11-09-2005, 10:36 PM
That just goes to show the strength of the Human Spirit. Hope he sticks with it.

Ranger Mom
11-09-2005, 11:55 PM
They interviewed him on the news Monday...he is going to try and play basketball this season too!

smustangs
11-10-2005, 03:11 AM
WOW some determination right there i give him mad props

jakarta101
11-10-2005, 09:36 AM
that is awesome:clap: :) :clap: :)

BullFrog Dad
11-10-2005, 11:25 AM
Instead of suspending misfits like Terrell Owens so they draw pay without earning it make TO spend a week with Dillon. The kid might just turn Owens around.

zeus63
11-10-2005, 12:11 PM
GOOD CALL!!! Kids like that deserve have the spotlight on them. That is a great story.