PDA

View Full Version : Change of Heart

The One
09-28-2002, 09:11 PM
On many occasions over the past few weeks I have made the comment that Celina would win the district 9-3A championship. After witnessing first hand Gainseville's team last night, well all I have to say is if you want to see the streak end you better be at that Gainesville-Celina game on Oct. 25th because its all over!

Chris Hart
09-28-2002, 09:19 PM
I'll have to agree with you on that one.Gainesville is definately looking good right now.Celina will give them a good game, their not going to let the streak end without a fight.

PPHSfan
09-28-2002, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by The One:
On many occasions over the past few weeks I have made the comment that Celina would win the district 9-3A championship. After witnessing first hand Gainseville's team last night, well all I have to say is if you want to see the streak end you better be at that Gainesville-Celina game on Oct. 25th because its all over!

Hey there ONE,

I got fifty chickens and ten cows that says you can't find a Celina coach or a player that can look you in the eye and say they are looking right past Pottsboro and Pilot Point in order to take the "Streak" to Gainsville.

[This message has been edited by PPHSfan (edited September 28, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by PPHSfan (edited September 28, 2002).]

BullsFan
09-29-2002, 01:48 AM
For Celina's sake, I hope they're not, PPHS. I think part of the reason that we were as successful as we were postseason last year was because so many people were looking past us (the team from nowhere with the 5-5 record...) at the Big One. Early on in our postseason run it seemed like teams we played barely even showed up, probably convinced we were an easy victory.

But as to Celina, unless I miss my guess they'll definitely be up for you guys. That might have something to do with your coach. wink

(I can't say much about Pottsboro except they sure didn't give Decatur much of a game.)

PPHSfan
09-29-2002, 02:28 AM
I agree bullsfan, but just in case some others are gonna have different views, I wan't to go on record, that way I can get it stirred up early. :)

OK, Now I know that alot of you good smart folks here on the 3ADL are going to get on here and say "Celina may not be looking past PP, but everyone else is looking for them to destroy PP."

Well I for one can certainly understand that assesment, but I think alot of folks here might just not know a few facts about the games between these two teams.

Here are a few, look them over, and THEN tell me how Celina can go ahead and look past us.

Celinas record against Pilot Point. 18-23-1
The only other team in the Country that has played Celina more than 3 times and has a winning record against Celina is 5A PowerHouse Southlake-Carroll 7-1.

Celinas record since inception.....368-131-8

131 losses ever and PP has dealt 23 of them. Nobody else on the planet even has 10 wins against Celina.

There are 8 State Championships between the two teams. PP has 2 and Celina has 6, but all eight championship teams were coached by G.A. Moore. Coach Moore has 17 seasons with Celina, this year he began his 20th at Pilot Point.

The last team to beat Celina in 1998?...........you guessed it sports fans...Pilot Point...and it was in Celina.

No matter what the records were when these teams have met in the past..everything gets thrown out the window for one Friday night. Pilot Point has not had a losing season in over twenty years and has been in the playoffs 22 times in the past 23 yrs. but has still lost to Celina 18 times in the past 42. It goes both ways.

Just remember this...just because Gainsville beat a great team like Bridgeport does not mean Gainsville will beat Celina. And just because Pilot Point lost to a great team like Bridgeport does not mean Pilot Point can't beat Celina. Pilot Point has a history of Beating and Gettin Beat by Celina....and until another team in the Great State of Texas can stand up and say they have beaten Celina even ten times, my suggestion is to come to PP on oct. 18th...find a spot if you can...and Hide and Watch. :p

BullsFan
09-29-2002, 11:19 AM
Couple of questions, PPHS.

1. Have Celina and PP always been rivals? I guess I wasn't aware there was anything there until the deal with Coach Moore came up.

2. When did Southlake play Celina? Wasn't Celina 2A until this year? I know Southlake used to be 3A, and I wasn't even aware they'd moved from 4 to 5. When they were 3A, did they play Celina, or were they 2A before that?

(We used to play Southlake regularly in the preseason--Coach Henson's always been a big believer in playing quality teams before district. We pretty much always play at least one 4A team. Sometimes makes for a poor preseason record, but we had an easier time playing with the Big Boys later.)

PPHSfan
09-29-2002, 11:35 AM
Being as how Celina is 16 miles down the road from PP I would say they have always been rivals. Another reason would be they are the only two team in the area that have beaten each other with any consistency, PP also has a winning record against almost every oponent. The Coach Moore "situation" probably adds to the rivalry being as how Coach Moore has so many seasons with both teams. Coach Moore is a Graduate of Pilot Point and is in his third tenure with the team. I am sure Matthew could probably answer the question about Southlake better than I could, I am not sure how long they have been in 5A or how long they were in 4A etc. By the way Celina's Coach Ford is also a graduate of PP and was an assistant to Coach Moore for about 20 yrs. So I would say that there are several factors that "fuel" the rivalry...but oh what a great rivalry it is. :D

BullsFan
09-29-2002, 11:41 AM
Gotcha, PPHS. Looks like you guys have a lot of history--and alums--in common.

Great rivalries fuel great football games. I know that with the Decatur/Bridgeport rivalry, it doesn't matter how great a year or how poorly either team is doing. Both teams will be playing their best that night and *anything* can happen. This year, both teams are having a good year, so it should be intense.

Much like the Celina/PPHS game. Best of luck to you, and we'll be waiting to hear how that turns out!

(I'd offer to come, but the Bulls will be playing the Egrets, so I do have a prior engagement. wink

Owen B
09-29-2002, 12:08 PM
Concerning Southlake Carroll, they went from 2A to 3A in 1986, 3A to 4A in 1994, and just moved to 5A this year.

BullsFan
09-29-2002, 12:15 PM
Wow, Owen. That has to be one of the fastest moves through the ranks from 2A to 5A ever. I wonder if that's some kind of record...?