PDA

View Full Version : The Pretenders

PhiI C
07-05-2003, 12:08 PM
These are the teams (and it is not only in football) that get into the playoffs that really don't have any business getting there. It is especially prevailent now that there are three teams from each district that gets into the playoffs and it will get worse if there are four teams that get to come. Obviously money has a lot to do with the decisions. Usually Pretenders have a very poor won - lost record. Most of them are teams that were third in district (some exceptions though). Usually most of them are eliminated in the first round unless they pull a big upset (which is rare) or most likely they are playing another pretender. The majority of them that advance will be defeated by the second round. If by chance or good fortune (and this is rare) they make the third round of the playoffs you by then have a very one sided game. You might conclude that I think pretenders should not be allowed to the playoffs but then you would be wrong. I think it is great for them to be allowed. It gives schools and communities that ordinarily wouldn't be in the playoffs a little extra excitement and something to look forward too even if it is just an extra game. This is positive for the participates and community. Even though the playoff system is not perfect it is still much better than it was and having four teams in it will make it even better. The latter is just my opinion but I think my history on pretenders is accurate in 95% of the cases.

PhiI C
07-05-2003, 12:09 PM
One more thing. Bandera last year was not a pretender even though they won third place in their district. You have several hundred third place teams in district you are bound to come up with a jem once in a while. Last year Bandera was it.

PhiI C
07-05-2003, 12:23 PM
Just a little history on Pretenders even though this is 2A. They sometimes are actually district winners. Back in the 70s when only the district champion advanced and only five teams advanced which met there were four district games Freer lost the first district game to Hebbronville. Hebbronville lost two games in district after that and Freer won the last three while the other teams beat each other out so Freer advanced to the playoffs with a 3-5-2 record! They met another Pretender in Rio Hondo which had a similar history with a record of 4-5-1. Freer won the game 7-6 as Rio Hondo went for two points and failed after the last touchdown since they were behind in the tie breaker. So Freer advanced but guess who they had to play the next week. That is right a powerhouse- Refugio. Refugio won 4-0 thus another pretender bite the dust.

Old Cardinal
07-05-2003, 06:54 PM
I see your reasoning but the unfairness would just multiply. There are Districts with 6 teams and Districts with 8 teams and that would be even more unfair. Six team Districts would automatically have Four playoff team-two left home. Likewise, 8 team District would have four playoff teams and 4 teams left home....REGION I has only 50 teams- seven Districts with 6 teams and only ONE with 8 teams. REGION II has 5 Districts with six team and only ONE District with 8 teams-total being 53 teams in Region II....REGION III, as usual, would be more affected, they have THREE Districts with 6 teams and FOUR Districts with 8 teams. They also have the largest total teams at 57....REGION IV Has 5 Districts with 6 teams and only ONE District with 8 teams--for a grand total in Reg. IV of only 52 teams. THE REGIONS NEED EQUAL NUMBERS OF TEAMS; THUS MAKING EACH DISTRICT HAVE SEVEN TEAMS...When you get this simple playing field leveled, then we could talk about each District leaving either 3 OR 4 teams at home each playoff season!