PDA

View Full Version : monahans getting too cocky perhaps??

Mustangpride09
11-07-2005, 01:06 AM
I'm really not trying to dis on monahans, especially seeing as their playing snyder. And id love to see them knock snyder out of their shoes. But is it just me, or is Monahans getting so cocky its INCREDIBLE. I mean, the best team you played was seminole, you played a 2A school (colorado city), whats their to be worked up about? Snyder beat the defending Div-1 state champs.Thats a pretty big accomplishment. I just dont get why you all think your going to blow em out. You saw what happened with Snyder vs. Sweetwater, Snyder got so cocky it bit em in the butt. Now, monhans being snyder, and snyder being sweetwater..... you catch the drift.

LH Panther Mom
11-07-2005, 07:58 AM
Why wouldn't the Monahans fans think that they're team stands a chance to beat Snyder? Trust me, I've seen "cocky" on this board and it hasn't been from Monahans.

sweetwater07
11-07-2005, 08:04 AM
monahans hasn't played anyone really of caliber...i'll agree with that....but in no way have they been cocky on this board....in fact i think there are only like 5 ppl off the top of my head that are on this board from monahans............now back to football........monahans-42- snyder-21

3afan
11-07-2005, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Mustangpride09
I'm really not trying to dis on monahans, especially seeing as their playing snyder. And id love to see them knock snyder out of their shoes. But is it just me, or is Monahans getting so cocky its INCREDIBLE. I mean, the best team you played was seminole, you played a 2A school (colorado city), whats their to be worked up about? Snyder beat the defending Div-1 state champs.Thats a pretty big accomplishment. I just dont get why you all think your going to blow em out. You saw what happened with Snyder vs. Sweetwater, Snyder got so cocky it bit em in the butt. Now, monhans being snyder, and snyder being sweetwater..... you catch the drift.

now, how on earth are you judging that monahans may be getting cocky? from a few yardbirds on a message board? give the real monahans a little more credit than that .........

do you think a TEAM's attitudes, confidence, etc. really is reflected what you read on here? or read anywhere? if so then you (not you personally) need a big helping of reality

LH Panther Mom
11-07-2005, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by sweetwater07
Paratrooper.....you are a fool.........like ham said.....you put monahans in that poll out of region one.......your are completely unaware!!!!......you just wait and see what sweetwater does and then you will show your ignorance!!

Now, this would be my definition of cocky. ;)

injuredinmelee
11-07-2005, 08:45 AM
awwwwww LH.. put the claws away.... lol

WTF-82
11-07-2005, 09:27 AM
Just remember this Mr. Mustang fans can get cocky all they want
fans do not speak for players or Coaches or fans and JV players who dont play can get cocky that is what being a fan is all about
you do it so does the rest of you posters the players are very focused as they have been all year.

mustang04
11-07-2005, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by ***-82
Just remember this Mr. Mustang fans can get cocky all they want
fans do not speak for players or Coaches or fans and JV players who dont play can get cocky that is what being a fan is all about
you do it so does the rest of you posters the players are very focused as they have been all year.

***! mate....*** have u been, i thought u left us and i was like "***??"

WTF-82
11-07-2005, 09:30 AM
FANS DO NOT SPEAK FOR PLAYERS OR COACHES
THATS FINAL
MY PICK MONAHANS 24 SNYDER14
SNYDER DEFENSE IS TO GOOD FOR 30 PLUS
mOAN

GWOOD
11-07-2005, 10:25 AM
Haven't seen any cockiness here by Monahans fans. Have seen other people like myself who defend them when someone says they are not for real.

When Greenwood fans say that the Monahans team that showed up to play Greenwood was better than the Snyder team that showed up to play Greenwood, it ought to count for something.

Snyder will be tough. It will be a great, hard fought game. I personally am picking Monahans to win. Whether they do or not, I am certain that Monahans will play Snyder tough.

And since the Snyder coaches will have game films of Monahans, I doubt that they will be overconfident. I bet they tell their boys today, "You better be ready to play Friday afternoon or you will get your butts beat."

SnyderMom
11-07-2005, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by GWOOD
"You better be ready to play Friday afternoon or you will get your butts beat."

Our coaches tell our boys that every game...it's their choice to listen or not...obviously they didn't when we played S'water.

Our boys know (since Sweetwater) that anything can happen during a game, and I guarentee that they are going to step on that field ready to play!!

See you at 5:30 Monahans!! GOOOO TIGERS!!!

keenoace
11-07-2005, 01:42 PM
Not being cocky, just being confident. But we'll see if that confidence is still there when they are down a couple of touchdowns.

Bullaholic
11-07-2005, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by keenoace
Not being cocky, just being confident. But we'll see if that confidence is still there when they are down a couple of touchdowns.

That's the beauty of Texas HS football, keenoace---I've seen teams down by more than 2 td's come back to win on many occasions. It's 48 minutes--and the only thing that counts is the bigger score when that final gun goes off.

panther power
11-07-2005, 02:17 PM
Monahans has a offense and defense to boast about. Snyder played a brutal list, but wylie and sweetwater are in their district so they have no choice. Monahans will be ready and they have 2 really good running backs who will carry the load. Sam Graves has the body of a fullback but if he gets into the open field he is hard to catch, Roberson on the other hand will blow right by you and neither of them mind blocking for one another....

panther power
11-07-2005, 02:19 PM
Under lights, Graves takes starring role
By Shawn C. Millender
Odessa American

Every football movie that you have ever seen likely has had a Sam Graves in it.
From Steve Lattimer in the The Program to Daniel Bate-man in The Replace-ments to Adam Sand-ler’s Bobby Bouchet in The Water-boy, every team has to have that one guy that turns into a stark-raving lunatic every time the lights turn on for the game.
“The thing about Sam is during the week, if you came and watched him in practice, you’d think, ‘That’s Sam? That’s the guy that rushed for 250 yards, six touchdowns?’ ” first-year Monahans coach Mickey Owens said.
“He doesn’t look flashy. But for some reason, when the lights come on Friday night, he gets a totally new look in his face.”
Just ask the Seminole Indians. Graves ran over, through and around Indian defenders on Friday night for 246 yards and six touchdowns in Monahans’ 62-13 win.
“He’s a strong competitor. Sam hates to lose,” Owens said. “He goes over the edge a little bit sometimes.”
Exhibit A: Going a little beyond the call of duty in flag football.
Owens’ first experience with Graves was at a 7-on-7 tournament in the offseason. The lights don’t have to be on to put Graves in a competitive mood. He just has to be staring across the line at a different-colored jersey.
One of the players in one of those jerseys (without pads, mind you) picked off a Loboes pass, which apparently is one of Graves’ pet peeves.
“The kid cuts it back toward the middle, and Sam just hammers him,” Owens said, chuckling at the memory. “I mean, flattens him, gets kicked out of a 7-on-7 game. So I told him, I said ‘All right, you don’t need to do this in 7-on-7, but save this energy for Friday night.’ ”
In 2004, as part of a one-back spread offense, Graves rushed for 560 yards. When Owens came to Monahans in the spring, Graves may have been the one that gained the most.
“He kinda fits the mold you want for a wing-T fullback,” running backs coach Kade Burns said. “He’s a tough runner, and it’s been a good situation for him at fullback.”
He has to be a tough runner.
At 5-11 and 180 pounds, he’s not a small guy, but he also is not the size of a prototypical bruising power runner.
He doesn’t have blazing speed, either, but he had no trouble breaking away for touchdown runs of 30, 39 and 70 yards against Seminole.
“I’m looking for another game (like that),” Graves said. “I’m trying to get as many yards as possible, and if I do that I’ll break a thousand yards for the season.”
Graves already has 917 yards and 20 touchdowns with two games left this season.
In the role of fullback, Graves has to do a lot of what Owens says is his best attribute: blocking. Along with tailback Chris Roberson, Graves is part of one of the best 1-2 blocking-running tandems in the area.
“In a wing-T offense, we expect both backs to block well,” Burns said. “They’ve kinda taken pride not only in running the football, but also in blocking for the other back, which is really good to see.”
Roberson has 682 yards and 11 touchdowns, and his 144 yards against Seminole might have been a bigger story had it not been for Graves. On the other hand, Roberson might not have had 144 yards without Graves.
“I was more satisfied with my blocking,” Graves said. “I did that better than I have in the past weeks.”
Though Graves lacks flashy speed on the field, he is exceptionally fast off the field when deflecting praise to his linemen.
“I tell you, the thing about Sam, he’s matured a bunch,” Owens said. “He realizes the reason he’s making all those yards is because of Chris Roberson, his tailback, and all those offensive linemen. The offensive line is just really blocking well.”

BMOC
11-07-2005, 02:45 PM
Great article. I also dont think these guys are being cocky. I think they are proud of their team and confident, but as far as popping off at the mouth and being cocky, I dont think so.

justlikesports
11-07-2005, 03:48 PM
I don't think anyone here in Monahans is getting "cocky"! We are proud of our team and know we are gonna have to play hard Friday.

Mustangpride09
11-07-2005, 05:24 PM
I guess i should of made it more clear. SOME users on here are too cocky. Not the monahans team, excuse me. But from some of the posts ive read there has been some cockyness (just read all the monahans-snyder threads). I guess im the only one noticing it. I just dont see how they can favor their team to win by 20+ when they have yet to be challenged.

LH Panther Mom
11-07-2005, 05:29 PM
I guess i should of made it more clear. SOME users on here are too cocky. Not the monahans team, excuse me. But from some of the posts ive read there has been some cockyness (just read all the monahans-snyder threads). I guess im the only one noticing it. I just dont see how they can favor their team to win by 20+ when they have yet to be challenged.

There's a difference in cockiness and confidence. :) Gilmer won the state championship last year without really being challenged until late in the playoffs, if I remember correctly.

Ranger05
11-07-2005, 05:37 PM
I guess i should of made it more clear. SOME users on here are too cocky. Not the monahans team, excuse me. But from some of the posts ive read there has been some cockyness (just read all the monahans-snyder threads). I guess im the only one noticing it. I just dont see how they can favor their team to win by 20+ when they have yet to be challenged. is it just me or does some of the sweetwater posters do the exact samething :thinking:

jmcgee
11-07-2005, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Ranger05
is it just me or does some of the sweetwater posters do the exact samething :thinking: I agree Like mustang07 he is just about the cockiest person on this site.But there are one or 2 of the monahans posters that are getting up there with him.I cant stand 07.

lobo12
11-07-2005, 07:43 PM
i might have came off as cocky but im really just confident, all i have said is i predicted monahans to win by 14, but i have given all the credit that i could to the tigers.....they are a great team who have proven theirselves week in and week out, i just think the loboes are for real and i think one main factor in the game is mickey owens....i think he is one of the best coaches in west texas......i do not think one team is necessarily that much better than the other, both will have their heads on straight and will come to play, i just think monahans will pull it out

Mustangpride09
11-07-2005, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by jmcgee
I cant stand 07.

:(

Mustangpride09
11-07-2005, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by Ranger05
is it just me or does some of the sweetwater posters do the exact samething :thinking:

yeah, every team on here has at least one cocky fan. Its just how it goes.