PDA

View Full Version : District 25-3a Playoff question

whtfbplaya
11-07-2005, 12:19 AM
Has anyone head that Stafford's games may be thrown out, because they played an ineligible player. This could change the playoff picture if it is correct.

SintonFan_inAustin
11-07-2005, 12:20 AM
dont believe it until its official these stories come out all the time once playoffs begin.

g$$
11-07-2005, 05:20 AM
If true, I would think a protest would have had to be made before district ended. Didn't they play over 2 weeks ago (Stafford 14 - 7 over Wharton)? It may be too late.

LogieJoeBean001
11-07-2005, 05:31 AM
Then why was Wharton's coaches contacted by phone late Friday and told this? It would change things supposedly because Wharton beat Needville, and beat them by a very big margin. Supposedly this is how it would effect things. Seems Stafford had a player from Louisiana and the week before Stafford played Wharton, the player's family went back to Louisiana, and he didn't. The game to Wharton would then be forfeited and Needville, Sweeny and Wharton would all stand at 3-2 in District. Like I just stated...and Wharton beat Needville.

I choose to take a "wait and see" attitude because you never know how things will turn out.

g$$
11-07-2005, 05:38 AM
Thank you, I stand corrected. I had forgotten that Wharton beat Needville (47-6). I guess point differentials would come into play. But I don't see the UIL doing anything this late since brackets are set & sites secured. Maybe so. But I do know Sweeny downed the ball to end the game Friday night instead of going for another score, but I guess that would not matter since Stafford games would be thrown out anyway. Keep us posted. I would bet lots of schools with Louisiana kids may have this potential problem. So if that hypothetically happens, with Sweeny & Wharton advancing on the point differentials, would Wharton go as Div. 2 Runner-up since Sweeny beat Wharton head-to-head? I believe there is a 17 point cap in determining tiebreakers to prevent running it up on opponent. Is this right below using only the scores of the teams in question? I still think nothing will change.

Sweeny 14 Needville 20
Sweeny 24 Wharton 17
Needville 6 Wharton 47

so Sweeny (-6+7= +1)
Needville (+6-17= -11)
Wharton (-7+17= +10)

Playoffs (??)
WC (district winner 5-0 & biggest school) = Div. 1 vs. Gonzales
Sweeny (3-2 & beat Wharton) = Div. 2 vs. Halletsville
Wharton (3-2 & lost to Sweeny) = Div. 2 vs. Cuero

Have fun with this UIL if Stafford did use an ineligible player resulting in forfeits....what a mess.

18handicap
11-07-2005, 07:12 AM
g$$ poses a good question. I forgot how the 3 way tie works except that I think you are right on the points (max is either 18, 17, or 15. ) There are two ways of thinking: one is your way, which picks the two playoff teams and then going head to head; or taking the higher point team and make the higher seed with the middle team as the lower seed and the bottom team is out. That would make a Wharton/Hallettsville and a Sweeny/Cuero playoff scenario.

Which one is right? I can't remember. If all of this is true and one team has to forfeit their games, this will be a mess. I hope it works out for everyone.

g$$
11-07-2005, 07:39 AM
All your knowledge buddy & you are confused too?? Just kidding. If you don't know then we sure don't. Is this stuff uniform across the board by the UIL or does each district set its own tiebreakers? If this potentially happens, what a mess.

Be nice to avoid the Gobblers though in the 1st round! Oh well, keep us posted on the outcome today.

3afan
11-07-2005, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by g$$
It may be too late.

nope, its never too late to discover an illegal player and take action

g$$
11-07-2005, 07:50 AM
Well, with games starting Thursday they better hurry. I would expect a decision today after the case is reviewed. But I would not use the word NEVER when games are about to begin. At some point you play or you don't.

3afan
11-07-2005, 08:02 AM
thats true - but there have been cases where a team was DQ'd after they had already won & the team they just beat advanced to the next round ....

perfect example is in 1998 I think, SA MacArthur lost to someone, maybe Katy in the 5A semifinal, then Katy was DQ'd and Mac had to get ready in 2 days to play a title game - which they lost 54-0 to Midland Lee in Texa Stadium. my memory is fuzzy on that so don't quote me. anyone recall that fiasco?

also remember Dallas Carter was stripped of a title after they won it on the field.

g$$
11-07-2005, 08:10 AM
You're right on both accounts. Cedric Benson was a soph on that team for Midland Lee. I just think a case like this will be reviewed & a decision made ASAP to prevent those type of scenarios. Maybe they caught it early enough this time. Interesting & a mess all at the same time.

3afan
11-07-2005, 08:11 AM
yes its amazing how those things are "discovered" in week 11 and beyond ...

neck_94
11-07-2005, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by whtfbplaya
because they played an ineligible player.....

gonna be tough to prove....

from what I have heard, the "ineligible" player is a hurricane evacuee....

neck_94
11-07-2005, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by g$$
would Wharton go as Div. 2 Runner-up since Sweeny beat Wharton head-to-head? I believe there is a 17 point cap in determining tiebreakers

Sweeny 14 Needville 20
Sweeny 24 Wharton 17
Needville 6 Wharton 47

so Sweeny (-6+7= +1)
Needville (+6-17= -11)
Wharton (-7+17= +10)

not quite, once the tiebreaker is put in effect, it breaks ALL ties. Head to head is no longer a factor...

Wharton @ +10 vs halletsville
Sweeny @ +1 vs cuero

pancho villa
11-07-2005, 09:23 AM
What a mess. For all the Wharton coaches out there is there is there any truth to this. Send me a message and let me know.

scrub c
11-07-2005, 10:27 AM
well?

hata_hurta06
11-07-2005, 10:41 AM
Me being a player I can tell you we wont truly kno until around lunch!!

LogieJoeBean001
11-07-2005, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by neck_94
gonna be tough to prove....

from what I have heard, the "ineligible" player is a hurricane evacuee....

This is true about the evacuee part...but wouldn't think it too hard to prove if his family is no longer residing in Texas...

This also hinges on if there was a school for him to enroll in open whereever he was from in Louisiana...I also understand that he was not from the New Orleans area, but another part of Louisiana.

I'd heard that Wharton would take Needville's spot and Sweeny/Cuero are still the matchup there. I thought this was because Wharton was the bigger school than Sweeny, but it's probably calculated some other way...oh well, it was just my rationale...I'll sure be glad when lunch is over today....one way or the other

cdlvj
11-07-2005, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
thats true - but there have been cases where a team was DQ'd after they had already won & the team they just beat advanced to the next round ....

perfect example is in 1998 I think, SA MacArthur lost to someone, maybe Katy in the 5A semifinal, then Katy was DQ'd and Mac had to get ready in 2 days to play a title game - which they lost 54-0 to Midland Lee in Texa Stadium. my memory is fuzzy on that so don't quote me. anyone recall that fiasco?

also remember Dallas Carter was stripped of a title after they won it on the field.

SA Mac did loose to Katy, and Katy had to forfeit. Dallas Carter had to forfeit to Converse Judson.

FbCoachB40
11-07-2005, 01:15 PM
Stafford will have to forfeit the games against Needville and Sweeny, which they lost both.

However, the ineligible player did not play against Wharton.

Good luck to Sweeny, Needville, and West Columbia