PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody know the answer to this?

Paratrooper
11-06-2005, 05:19 PM
Does anybody know why the UIL went to all the runner-up teams in the district competing in the playoffs? It used to be only the team who won district got to go. I kinda understood their logic behind having a D1 and D2 representative. I really don't understand the 3rd place finisher. Does anyone know why they did that?:thinking:

sinton66
11-06-2005, 05:22 PM
Yes. The UIL gets a percentage of the gate from all playoff games. The more playoff games there are, the more money they make. They are seriously considering sending four from each district, two for D1 and two for D2.

wildstangs
11-06-2005, 05:24 PM
Four will start going in 5A next year. 1A and Six man will also move to 3 representatives next year. $$$$$$$$$$$$$

GreenMonster
11-06-2005, 05:25 PM
We have a 5 team district. 4 playoff teams would be crazy.

Paratrooper
11-06-2005, 05:25 PM
really? I had no idea this was all about just a money game. To me I could see having the D1 and even the D2 representative; but the runner up in D2 is a bit too much for me. I mean really why not extend the season and have all the teams play for the championship if it's all about money. I see some of these teams getting in that are like 4-6 or even worse 3-6 or 3-7. That is a bit of a stretch to me.

Bullaholic
11-06-2005, 05:26 PM
My take on this is---so what? The more playoff teams the better for the schools and their fans. It still comes down to the best teams playing for the title and the "weak sisters" usually leave early. A state title is a state title regardless of the number of teams vying for it.

HighSchool Fan
11-06-2005, 05:29 PM
i think whitesboro is trying to get the uil to change it to 5 teams per district makes the playoffs.

Paratrooper
11-06-2005, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
My take on this is---so what? The more playoff teams the better for the schools and their fans. It still comes down to the best teams playing for the title and the "weak sisters" usually leave early. A state title is a state title regardless of the number of teams vying for it.

I understand your logic, but I think what is the real use of playing for your district crown if your going to make it anyways. The incentive is just not there. True the "weak sisters" get knocked out quick. They get knocked out just for that reason. They are weak and don't belong there. I just think having a D1 and D2 representative..........two teams is enough.

Pmoney
11-06-2005, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
We have a 5 team district. 4 playoff teams would be crazy.
same here

GreenMonster
11-06-2005, 05:35 PM
It's not all about the $$. It's also about the current "feel good" philosophy of teaching our children. The public school system in Texas is scared to death to tell little Johnny he wasn't good enough. They are scared little Johnny's Mama will sue them for telling little Johnny he is a loser. Make little Johnny feel good about himself and let him in the play-offs so he will grow up not ever having learned the true meaning of Earning his goals.

Pmoney
11-06-2005, 05:36 PM
It's not all about the $$. It's also about the current "feel good" philosophy of teaching our children. The public school system in Texas is scared to death to tell little Johnny he wasn't good enough. They are scared little Johnny's Mama will sue them for telling little Johnny he is a loser. Make little Johnny feel good about himself and let him in the play-offs so he will grow up not ever having learned the true meaning of Earning his goals.
so they get little Johnny's hopes up and SQUASHS them with a loss?

3afan
11-06-2005, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Paratrooper
really? I had no idea this was all about just a money game.

its not ...

GreenMonster
11-06-2005, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Pmoney
so they get little Johnny's hopes up and SQUASHS them with a loss? He can still say he made the play-offs. Isn't that everyone's goal at the start of the season?

wildstangs
11-06-2005, 05:38 PM
I would bet money that there arent many, if any, districts in 5A with less than 7 teams in them next reallignment.

Once this reaches 3A, and it probably will, I dont think there will be any 5 team districts.

Bullaholic
11-06-2005, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Paratrooper
I understand your logic, but I think what is the real use of playing for your district crown if your going to make it anyways. The incentive is just not there. True the "weak sisters" get knocked out quick. They get knocked out just for that reason. They are weak and don't belong there. I just think having a D1 and D2 representative..........two teams is enough.

Coaches and teams still like to earn every title that they can---including District champ. In 7-3A, Decatur looked like they were going to be the sole district champs going away. In week 10 they lost to Lake Worth, and Bridgeport got to claim a share of the district title as co-district champs. No doubt that Decatur is still the best team in the district, but our kids are taking a lot of pride in that "co-district champion" title---we are 5-5 and haven't had that much to cheer about---but now we are riding a "surge" into the playoffs. In 2001 a 5-5 Bulls team that "didn't belong went all the way to the semis. Who knows what road all of these 3rd finishers have had, and some will surprise some teams this playoff season, too.

Pmoney
11-06-2005, 05:40 PM
He can still say he made the play-offs. Isn't that everyone's goal at the start of the season?
no your goal should be win state, that was my goal

sinton66
11-06-2005, 05:41 PM
Sorry, it is about the money. Everything with the state of Texas is about the money these days. Don't believe it? Live down here by the coast and go buy a fishing license or a hunting license.

Bullaholic
11-06-2005, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
Sorry, it is about the money. Everything with the state of Texas is about the money these days. Don't believe it? Live down here by the coast and go buy a fishing license or a hunting license.

When did you start doing that, 66'? :D Money does make the world go 'round. You got those "fishooks" in your wallet like Phil C, 66'?

Paratrooper
11-06-2005, 05:44 PM
I actually agree with this statement. I know for the cheerleaders they let all of them become cheerleaders if they try out. They don't do it at the varsity level, but at more junior levels they do this. That is sad to me.
When they get out into the real world, they are actually making them VERY unprepared for life. Everyone who actually has a job knows how competitive it gets out there. I think the whole feel good about myself philosophy stinks. I tell you what, when I was a kid the principal would paddle you and then when you got home you would get it again. You didn't have all these looney tune phycologist telling you the how to raise children 101. Seems kinda strange that the first ever shooting in this country inside a school was in 1992. Just shows you the looney tune's with the PHD's don't know as much as they think they do.

HighSchool Fan
11-06-2005, 05:44 PM

so a hunting and fishing license is a little on the high side and that's the reason everything is just about $$$$$$$$$$?? interesting to say the least

Leopards,class of 75
11-06-2005, 06:11 PM
I remember when only one went to the playoffs. I like it with the top two in each district going to the playoffs. To me , three seems like to many.

sinton66
11-06-2005, 06:21 PM
If you live somewhere else and fish in freshwater, you can buy the basic fishing license. If you live by the coast and fish coastal waters, you buy a basic fishing license PLUS a saltwater stamp. Trust me, they know where most of the fishermen are. Gambling is illegal in Texas but the state runs the lottery. When they were paying out a lot of winners, they changed the game and upped the odds against winning. Every cigarette pack has a state tax stamp on the bottom of it, but the state requires the stores to collect sales tax on them (tax upon a tax). Same thing with liquor, but not gasoline. The state of Texas over the last 15 years has gotten quite greedy, and most of it based on double standards.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else, but I don't like some of the stuff they have come up with.

GreenMonster
11-06-2005, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Leopards,class of 75
I remember when only one went to the playoffs. I like it with the top two in each district going to the playoffs. To me , three seems like to many.

I believe the big school representative thing started with some AD's and Supe's of smaller schools that complained about not having a chance to make it to the playoffs due to a school with very large numbers in the district staking claim to a playoff spot year in and year out. It began as only 5A until after a couple of years the UIL realized how much money could be made and how many happier administrators they dealt with. This, in my opinion, has become a how many people can we make happy and still make money philosophy. Personally I'm like Lep75, 3 is too many. I prefer adding a 6A and going back to 2 teams in the playoffs or even 1 team in the playoffs so that you must be a champion to be able to compete for the bigger prize.

BigTex
11-06-2005, 06:30 PM
Sinton66 is correct. It is about the money. Don't let the UIL try to persuade you otherwise. I too think that 3 teams is too many. Having 2 teams per district in the play-offs is good with a runner-up playing a District Champion in every first round. The only competition where everyone should get a ribbon/trophy is in Special Olympics. Let's make the playoffs an accomplishment, not merely a happy accident.:thinking:

3afan
11-06-2005, 06:31 PM
i think the answer to the question is -- No, nobody knows the answer to the question

Bullaholic
11-06-2005, 06:44 PM
IMO,I think if you polled all of the player's parents and the coaches, that the majority would be in favor of 3 playoff teams. As to the money aspect being a motivating factor of the UIL---it may be, but I don't think $5-$6 at the gate is going to "break" anybody or force them to attend. Again, I don't like "watering down" the playoffs, but as I stated in the earlier post---who does it hurt? We still get to the same place and by the time kids are varsity athletes, I think they have matured enough not to expect or take pride in a "particpation" ribbon.

pakrat
11-06-2005, 07:49 PM
Well if we have to have 4 teams per district in the playoffs, why even bother with a preseason? Just have a big playoff tournament with the first game being the first playoff game. The season starts too early anyway and lasts too long for the teams in the championship game. (Although I love every minute of the season.) Basketball season has been going on quite a while by the time the football playoffs are over. Or maybe we could have an extra scrimmage in place of one game, and then let the playoffs begin.

HighSchool Fan
11-06-2005, 07:52 PM
If you live somewhere else and fish in freshwater, you can buy the basic fishing license. If you live by the coast and fish coastal waters, you buy a basic fishing license PLUS a saltwater stamp. Trust me, they know where most of the fishermen are. Gambling is illegal in Texas but the state runs the lottery. When they were paying out a lot of winners, they changed the game and upped the odds against winning. Every cigarette pack has a state tax stamp on the bottom of it, but the state requires the stores to collect sales tax on them (tax upon a tax). Same thing with liquor, but not gasoline. The state of Texas over the last 15 years has gotten quite greedy, and most of it based on double standards.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else, but I don't like some of the stuff they have come up with.

then run for office and change it

BrahmaDAD70
11-06-2005, 07:57 PM

Well Said GM
Here Here