PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to WO-S who outlasted BC in a great 41-34 Contest

Old Cardinal
11-05-2005, 07:45 PM
Well I believe that Massey Ratings is about right-- WO-S #2 and BC #5 in 3A!
WO-S should not be challenged in Region III Division I.
This was a great game! BC was down 27-3 on 3 early capitalized turnovers. Then comes back to bring it to 27-24 in the third quarter!
WO-S outlast them by 7 points for a final score of 41-34.
WO-S has a good solid Division I team and certainly deserve their ratings.
BC has the heart of a Champion to come back and make a ball game out of it after being behind 27-3 early on. A score of 41-34 shows that both teams can move the ball on good defenses.
This game should pay dividends for both of these teams as they prepare for the Div. I & Div. II different bracket runs.
Again it was a great day of HS football!

Crimestick
11-05-2005, 08:04 PM
It was a great game. In the end, the BC defense just couldn't shut down the WO-S offense. Beasley had a great game and the WO-S defense did pretty well in shutting down a powerful running attack. The BC offense came alive in the second when some trick plays and penalties swung momentum their way. WO-S did what it took to win yet again. It was fun!

Bandera YaYa
11-05-2005, 08:09 PM
Now thats an interesting way to eat your crow......."outlast"??? :rolleyes: :p

exbccards76'smom
11-05-2005, 08:10 PM
It was a pretty interesting game.

Hupernikomen
11-05-2005, 08:40 PM
WO-S better give some credit to Jody. If we had stayed BC would have easily won. And to think we drove to see the 4th quarter of a dreadful game b/t HJ and HF rather than seeing BC gel and make a good game out of what looked very bad for them in the 1st half.

I felt like after the score was 14-3 that BC's defense was settling down and doing a good job. BC's offense was out of sorts due to a very aggressive and fast WO-S defense...ah well sorry to OC for giving up on his Cardinals too soon.

Old Cardinal
11-06-2005, 10:27 AM
This as a very close game even in stats:
These stats are from the Port Arthur News this morning. It is interesting that BC is not a heavy passing team but in the second half they passed very effectively.
First Downs WO-S 22 BC 21
Rushes 40-271 38-109
Passing 114 192
Comp-att-int 5-11-0 11-21-2
Actually both of these teams are better than what was previously thought.
To: Bandara Ya Ya--I always said it was too close to call.
It was interesting on here that "Paratrooper" said it would be a win by either team by SEVEN based on some one making a bad mistake.
In the first half, Dishon came down the line reading the defense and made a blind pitch--but the Tailback had got the wrong signal and was going the other way. WO-S just scooped up the ball and that contributed to a easy first half TD.
These teams came out fairly healthy after a grueling battle and both should be primed for the playoffs.

Old Cardinal
11-06-2005, 10:29 AM

Crimestick
11-06-2005, 10:35 AM
Paratrooper also expected a 14-7 defensive battle. Most of us figured on a shootout like we had. Most people expected the WO-S run to be shut down and the BC run to flourish, but it was quite the opposite. BC passed fairly well, but the QB did make a few errant throws that the defense took advantage of. I was impressed with BC's kicker. He is good.
But WHY did they kick it to Beasley?

Crimestick
11-06-2005, 10:36 AM
Shutting down the run

http://www.kogt.com/TEMP/wos%20def.jpg

GS#17
11-06-2005, 10:44 AM
A few stats not on there, but worth mentioning.

Kickoff return yardage -- BC had a ton, but Beasley had one for 97 yards, which really ended the hopes of BC.

Penalty yards -- WOS had near 100, BC about 15; however, several of the WOS penalties sustained BC drives, and I think all but one or two came on the defensive side of the ball against WOS. It would be interesting to see how many yards BC picked up after WOS penalties sustained their drives or gave them repeat downs. It was certainly not a flawless game by WOS, and it didn't come down to BC making one too many mistakes.

GS#17
11-06-2005, 10:51 AM
Now thats an interesting way to eat your crow......."outlast"???

LOL... It's funny that when the BC JV won by two points they "whipped" the WOS JV; however, when WOS won yesterday's varsity contest, they "outlasted" BC. Oh well... :)

District303aPastPlayer
11-06-2005, 11:00 AM
there is an almost 200 yard difference in total offense... but this game was close in stats?

Paratrooper
11-06-2005, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Crimestick
Paratrooper also expected a 14-7 defensive battle. Most of us figured on a shootout like we had. Most people expected the WO-S run to be shut down and the BC run to flourish, but it was quite the opposite. BC passed fairly well, but the QB did make a few errant throws that the defense took advantage of. I was impressed with BC's kicker. He is good.
But WHY did they kick it to Beasley?

Yes, I did pick it by 7 and someone making a bone headed play. However, I did think the defenses were good enough that they would cancel out the great offenses of both teams. Well, congrats to WOS. I was actually glad to see WOS play with all of their big guns in this. Actually the Beasley kid in the end is what made the difference. No 97 yard run back and this thing is a tie game. However, now that this game is behind everyone, I know I will certainly be rooting for WOS in D1. Good luck to you guys.

GS#17
11-06-2005, 11:11 AM
Good luck to you guys.

And to you all as well! :)

wos fan1
11-06-2005, 11:15 AM
We lead 27-3 in the second quarter at one time. If not for the Hail mary (That hit the ground) it would have been a blow out.

Paratrooper
11-06-2005, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by wos fan1
We lead 27-3 in the second quarter at one time. If not for the Hail mary (That hit the ground) it would have been a blow out.
Now we are rewriting history...........it was a close game, and BC made it into a nail biter in the 2nd half......we turned the ball over is the reason you had a comfortable lead. Anyways, you guys won and it was a well deserved win. Congrats on your win and hopefully both BC and WOS go very deep if not win it all.

HighSchool Fan
11-06-2005, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by GS#17
LOL... It's funny that when the BC JV won by two points they "whipped" the WOS JV; however, when WOS won yesterday's varsity contest, they "outlasted" BC. Oh well... :)

typical old card, has to try and twist thing to make them look better.

GS#17
11-06-2005, 11:27 AM
The hail mary did hit the ground -- there is no doubt about that, as it was shown on the news last night -- but it didn't effect the outcome of the game and there is no telling what happens if the ref doesn't blow the call, so it is pretty much a moot point.

The turnovers were caused by WOS -- two interceptions on great efforts, and a lot of defenisve pressure on Dishon caused him to pitch the ball in the dirt. None of the turnovers ended in TDs; rather, they were possession changers, and WOS still had to drive the ball against the BC defense to score (which they did on two of the three turnovers, I believe).

BC played hard, but will have to put this game behind them, regroup, and focus on the playoffs.

Crimestick
11-06-2005, 12:10 PM
With all due respect, the turnovers just shortened the field. In the first half, BC could do nothing and WO-S was marching down the field. Minus the 34 yard Hail Mary, BC had 60 yards of total offense in the first half. WO-S didn't get lucky. They forced two of those turnovers and gave back the one that was a bonehead by doing the same thing in the second - a possession change that led to a BC TD.
As far as the kickoff, why would we take that away? It was an incredibly athletic play by the best player in the stadium. Special teams are a big part of the game.
While Beasley certainly turned in a dominant performance, don't overlook backup RB Depauldrick Garrett, who was the game's second-leading rusher behind Beasley with 98.
It seems like a lot of people want to throw out any scores that have anything to do with special teams or turnovers. Why is that?