PDA

View Full Version : What does it take to be a good 3A quarterback?

pakrat
12-10-2002, 07:27 PM
After reading the very nice post about Stephen McGee, Burnet's great quarterback, I am wondering what it takes to become a good highschool QB. He went to 5 summer camps and the 7 on 7 tournament.
Is this what it takes? Is this what Drew Tate, Reggie McNeal, and Rodriguez Mitchell (Jasper) did? Who pays for the camps? Is it the parents, school district, or athletic dept.? What happens to low income kids from low budget school districts? Back in the dark ages when I played highschool fb, I had to work all summer to have money to be in the football program in the fall. I couldn't have gone to a camp if there was one
and even if it was free. Do the taxpayers unwittingly pay for this? I am not being critical, I just want to know. Somebody please clue me in.

jykoy
12-10-2002, 07:58 PM
The parents or family pays for it. It's illegal for the school to pay for it.

20bulldawg05
12-10-2002, 08:18 PM
i think stephen's really cool for going to all those camps... i mean if you can afford it and it's what you really want to do then do it... it's just like paying for college isn't it? How do lower class peeps pay for college? They get grants where it's practically a free ride... O well!?! that's just my opinion... if you wanna play football then i say it should be free... lol...

eagles_11
12-10-2002, 10:48 PM
it really helps

PPHSfan
12-10-2002, 11:09 PM
There are several things in my humble opinion that help you to be a great Highschool Quarterback in any Division. My guess is that if you have at least four of my Top Ten list, you have a good chance at success.

Top Ten In No Particular Order

1. Dad is HC/AD
2. Size..At least six foot tall and weigh over 200lbs is a plus
3. Arm
4. Intelligence
5. Speed
6. Leadership
7. Complete knowledge of the rules of the game
8. Discipline
9. Win at all costs attitude
10. The desire to be a QB at a very early age.

Awesome Dawg Fan
12-11-2002, 12:13 AM
McGee is a superb quarterback. He has the size. He has the arm. He is as accurate as they get. He is not your average high school quarterback. He always finds the open man and reads coverage very well. Most high school quarterbacks just run the play and hope it works. McGee is the type who makes it work by doing the little things that others don't. Besides that he has heart as big as Texas and the will to do whatever it takes to win.

pakrat
12-11-2002, 12:38 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by PPHSfan:
[QB]There are several things in my humble opinion that help you to be a great Highschool Quarterback in any Division. My guess is that if you have at least four of my Top Ten list, you have a good chance at success.

Top Ten In No Particular Order

1. Dad is HC/AD
2. Size..At least six foot tall and weigh over 200lbs is a plus[QB]

Yes, think you are right on the first one. I have seen lots of small school teams. A guy with the size of McGee would have to play linebacker or two way start on OL,DL and if fast, maybe LB, TE.
The QB position is filled with the little fast guy
who is a fair passer and pretty good RB. But if your dad is HC/AD, then you can play QB.

PPHSfan
12-11-2002, 09:02 AM
pakrat:

Yes, think you are right on the first one. I have seen lots of small school teams. A guy with the size of McGee would have to play linebacker or two way start on OL,DL and if fast, maybe LB, TE.
The QB position is filled with the little fast guy
who is a fair passer and pretty good RB. But if your dad is HC/AD, then you can play QB.Exactly. Lots of 7th graders in Texas already six foot two hundred plus, and can throw the ball fifty yards, but they play tackle on both sides cause thats where "the team needs them". Look at most of your Big succesfull quarterbacks, and their Dad is the HC/AD or is real close to him.

fatcat255
12-11-2002, 01:04 PM
1. Good 3A Receivers
2. Good 3A O-Linemen
3. Good 3A Offensive System

Without these things, a Good 3A QB would just be a QB.

pakrat
12-11-2002, 02:01 PM
fatcat255:
1. Good 3A Receivers
2. Good 3A O-Linemen
3. Good 3A Offensive System

Without these things, a Good 3A QB would just be a QB.I'll say AMEN to that. Demonstrated in the Jasper
vs Burnet. Both had good O lines, good receivers, etc. But I hate to see high school football start being dominated by the players who have the money to stay in training camps all summer. I know 5 camps don't take up the whole summer, but this will get bigger and bigger. Of course we have plenty of good hs players in Texas who see football as their way out of poverty, and they
put out a lot of effort to improve. So a lot still depends of having a good coach.

SWTdawg
12-11-2002, 02:09 PM
Seriously guys, "the one's with the money get to make it to college." That sounds a little off key. I think when it comes down to college scouts checking out future QBs, summer camps really won't be a factor. Some people go to summer camps that are absolutely worthless, I have seen some myself. They will look at the performance of that particular QB in the games he has played and find out his strengths and weaknesses from that. Going to college is like a big camp for QBs anyways because the college coaches are going to teach their new QBs everything they need to know to get the job done on that level. Please don't try to corrupt high school football when they don't even get paid.

BIG19
12-11-2002, 02:21 PM
pakrat
[/qb]I'll say AMEN to that. Demonstrated in the Jasper
vs Burnet. Both had good O lines, good receivers, etc. But I hate to see high school football start being dominated by the players who have the money to stay in training camps all summer. I know 5 camps don't take up the whole summer, but this will get bigger and bigger. Of course we have plenty of good hs players in Texas who see football as their way out of poverty, and they
put out a lot of effort to improve. So a lot still depends of having a good coach.[/QB][/QUOTE]

Sorry to say, but in this day and age, camps are were it is at for anyone trying to get ahead in ANY sport. Gone are the days that you could excel just by being a good athlete. There are lots and lots of good/great athletes in all of our high school sports. To get that edge, a person/family has to put in that extra desire and sacrafice to get the edge. I have been umpiring baseball continuously since last Feb and here it is Dec and there are still baseball tourney's going on. These are high school kids, playing on select teams, that have basically been training and honing skills for 3/4 of a year. They have the desire to get better and excel and they are. These are the players that you will be seeing getting the D1 contracts. Basketball and Volleyball are the same way. Take a look at the Wimberly volleyball program. It is not surprising that they have won state the last 2 years. They start training their girls from elementary. It is a camp that last many years, not just summers. This is just a fact of life now. It is all about COMPETITION.

pakrat
12-11-2002, 02:42 PM
I keep agreeing with everyone who posts to this topic. Now I'm agreeing with BIG19. Yes, baseball has had the training with kids starting in T-Ball and playing all summer, then fall ball, etc. A few years ago, TX high school basketball players did not have the scouts recruiting them as much as other states because there were no summer bb camps due to UIL rules. That needed to change because our kids needed the scholarships. I have been told that a few kids went to camps out of state and that was a lot more expensive than going to one a few miles away. So I guess more power to the camps.

snotbubble
12-11-2002, 02:49 PM
IMHO:

Good 3A Left Tackle
Good 3A Left Guard
Good 3A Center
Good 3A Right Guard
Good 3A Right Tackle

Buffalo
12-11-2002, 07:47 PM
What Sinton66 said he seems rigth on. Plus speed does not hurt.

PPHSfan
12-11-2002, 10:09 PM
Did I miss something. I don't see 66's post yet?

therealbulldogs
12-11-2002, 10:39 PM
PPHSfan
Exactly. Lots of 7th graders in Texas already six foot two hundred plus, and can throw the ball fifty yards, but they play tackle on both sides cause thats where "the team needs them". Look at most of your Big succesfull quarterbacks, and their Dad is the HC/AD or is real close to him.[/QB][/QUOTE]

That kink of stuff makes me mad! When my brother was in 8th grade he was about 6'4" and over 215 lbs. and could throw the ball twice as far as any kid on the team. He wasn't just big and slow, but he was very athletic. He was a tight end and lined up at receiver some and played line backer, but he would of been a much better quarter back. His first sport was basketball. In one basketball game his team scored about 45 points, he had about 36 of them. The coaches never even came close to giving him a chance at quarterback.

slpybear the bullfan
12-11-2002, 10:46 PM
Yeah, I will ditto the previous comments...

You need the ability AND size of a QB.

You need a great, ACCURATE arm.

You need to have at least 8 or 9 if not 10 really good players around you.

You need to be in shape and lucky to avoid injuries.

And IMHO, most of all in HSFB they need to have a calm head on their shoulders that does not get rattled and keeps them making, cool, SMART decisions.

We were blessed to see some great passing QBs come through Bridgeort in the past several years. By far, Phillip Daugherty is the best I have got to watch. Last year we went into the playoffs peaking. This year, we got to see what it was like for Phillip with a weaker line. In spite of that he has had a great year and looks to be one of the top QB recruits in the nation (#23 QB in Nation on Rivals.com) http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?ra_key=189

Speaking of recruiting, I would love to see a Daugherty or a Drew Tate or a Matt Flynn really taking the NCAA by storm and being a great Pro QB. I like it when the good ol Lone Star State is represented with great Pros.

pinecone
12-12-2002, 10:15 AM
Thanks for that url slpbear the bullfan! Yes, I can understand what happened to your bro. Jasper has had some very good QB's that went on to play receiver or db in college. Great speed and athletic ability that was needed at the speed positions in college because they had other guys to play QB. 5A teams have a better chance to put a big guy at QB because they have enough to go around. It gets tougher at 4A level, and in 3A it is pretty rare to see a boy over 6 ft and 200+ lbs playing QB.

pinecone
12-12-2002, 10:21 AM
Sorry slpbear, that was therealbulldogs brother.

slpybear the bullfan
12-12-2002, 11:28 PM
pinecone:
Sorry slpbear, that was therealbulldogs brother.That's okay, Pinecone. You know, what I like best about PD is that he is a 3A QB, but big and with an arm. He was pretty awesome to watch at this level of the game. He visited Tech and wowwed them at Camp, so I am really excited to see what he can do with a whole stable of fast receivers and a big line.

pakrat
12-13-2002, 09:53 PM
Slpybear, I checked out rivals100 and like you said, there was PD right where you said he'd be. Nice! Then I checked all the lists. First guy I came across was #2 on the OL list, Jorrie Adams of Jasper. I was looking for Jasper/ Burnet players. Didn't find anyone from Burnet, but I expect next year there will be. Jasper also had
Joseph Bryant on the DL list. Pretty good representation for a little Texas town on a nationwide list. They could all be playing on Sundays someday.

Tha Phantom
12-14-2002, 08:54 AM
I was talking to a few Forney guys the other day and they told me that Wills Point has another good QB coming up next year and that he and Caleb Hanie go to football camps together and they are pretty close on talent. It sound like there will be another first round meet between these two good teams.... :cool: