PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Watching Soccer

Phil C
11-04-2005, 11:11 AM
Watching a soccer game in person is much better than television. For example when you watch soccer you you usually follow the ball. That is the main thing that tv covers is where the ball is of course but when you watch it in person you see players getting in position behind the ball handler and when the ball is passed to them it is not a haphazzard guess. Much progress is made by kicking side to side and moving it up to get set up for goals. If a ball is kicked deep straight ahead it is quite often just a gamble that someone will get to it to bring it to the other end. One of the best ways to learn how to watch a soccer game is to sit by an experienced soccer fan who can tell you what to watch out for and this will increase your enjoyment immensely. Television is great but watching the game in person is much more enjoyable.

Phil C
11-04-2005, 11:41 AM
Possible the most important game in Women's Soccer occurred in July, 1999 in California when the USA by penalty kicks won the 1999 World Cup in Soccer. There were thousands of young girls in the stands that were positively influenced by the American Ladies and of course of those thousands you knew at least one was going to make it. One did and she is Stephanie Logterman who currently plays soccer for UT (see picture below). The game inspired her to work hard. She was 13 years old when she went to the game. Her father brought her tickets to go to that game and it was to change her life and UT soccer for the good. She participated in the U19 Women's team last fall in Thailand and in the Spring enrolled at UT as a freshman. She now plays defender for the UT soccer team. Way to go Stephanie!

http://www.texassports.com/image_lib/logterman_100705_300.jpg

Kat
11-04-2005, 11:44 AM
It's great to see someone else get excited about soccer. All three of my kids have played soccer. My daughter played with UT star Caitlyn Kennedy years ago and then played against her in club ball. My oldest son is playing in his final year of club as well as playing for his highschool football team. My youngest has just started club and is in his second year. I don't think people realize how soccer carries over to every other sport they play. It teaches them how to play without the ball as well as playing good defense. Keep posting your soccer news. I will be reading!

99IHSMustang
11-04-2005, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Kat
It's great to see someone else get excited about soccer. All three of my kids have played soccer. My daughter played with UT star Caitlyn Kennedy years ago and then played against her in club ball. My oldest son is playing in his final year of club as well as playing for his highschool football team. My youngest has just started club and is in his second year. I don't think people realize how soccer carries over to every other sport they play. It teaches them how to play without the ball as well as playing good defense. Keep posting your soccer news. I will be reading!

I believe you are right about how it carries on to other sports they play. Ingleside has several soccer/football players and they are some of the best all around athletes on the field.

Bullaholic
11-04-2005, 11:55 AM
Me and Sinton 66' are just going to have to continue to take your word for it, PHil. We somehow just don't understand any sport that you can't pick the ball up and put it under your arm and run with it.

handNthedirt
11-04-2005, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Possible the most important game in Women's Soccer occurred in July, 1999 in California when the USA by penalty kicks won the 1999 World Cup in Soccer. There were thousands of young girls in the stands that were positively influenced by the American Ladies and of course of those thousands you knew at least one was going to make it. One did and she is Stephanie Logterman who currently plays soccer for UT (see picture below). The game inspired her to work hard. She was 13 years old when she went to the game. Her father brought her tickets to go to that game and it was to change her life and UT soccer for the good. She participated in the U19 Women's team last fall in Thailand and in the Spring enrolled at UT as a freshman. She now plays defender for the UT soccer team. Way to go Stephanie! http://www.texassports.com/image_lib/logterman_100705_300.jpg

...I'd like to know how many girls B.Chastain influenced into the dark and dangerous profession of stripping. Way to go, Chastain!

Phil C
11-04-2005, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Kat

Thank you Kat and good luck to your kids that are still involved in soccer. Also welcome aboard the 3A Downlow and please keep the posts coming.

PhiI C
11-06-2005, 08:51 PM
After the Lady Aggies dramatic overtime victory over Colorado in San Antonio I believe that women's college soccer is going to get more popular. The thing is that there is very little differences between most of the top 30 teams and even No. 30 can have a chance at beating No. 1 at times even more so than basketball or football. :eek: The popularity and talent at the high school level has grown so that there are no more and better players developed for the college level and more to go around to various schools. One of the biggest equalizers in games is the goalie. If both teams have good goalies it can be a very close game. Plus when the ball is kicked around near the goals anything can happen. That is why women's college soccer is so good. The uncertainty makes it great.

slpybear the bullfan
11-06-2005, 11:24 PM
Phil....

SOCCER still = COMMUNIST SPORT

;) (j/k old friend, keep up the missionary work!)

mwynn05
11-06-2005, 11:33 PM
Hey phil who does UNT play in the NCAA tourney?

Phil C
11-07-2005, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
Hey phil who does UNT play in the NCAA tourney?

They will probably have a schedule after they announce the playoff teams today.

Phil C
11-07-2005, 03:01 PM
I have given you tips on watching soccer. Now the best way to improve it is to go to one of the NCAA playoff games if possible. What you learn by watching it in person will actually help you in watching it on tv!!