PDA

View Full Version : DMN story about the RC rollover ...

3afan
11-04-2005, 06:52 AM
Royse City players hurt in rollover

01:02 AM CST on Friday, November 4, 2005
By MARGARITA MARTÍN-HIDALGO / The Dallas Morning News

Several Royse City High School junior varsity football players were hurt – some seriously – when their bus overturned two miles north of town on the way to a game Thursday evening.

Royse City Police Chief Tom Shelton said two or three players suffered serious head injuries and about a half-dozen had minor injuries. The most seriously hurt were flown to Parkland Memorial Hospital and Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas. Students with lesser injuries were taken by ambulance to Lake Pointe Medical Center in Rowlett.

The bus was northbound on FM1777 north of Collin County Road 636 when it left the right side of the road just beyond a curve and toppled over in a field about 5:15 p.m., Collin County Sheriff's Department officials said. The narrow road has no shoulder.

Chief Shelton said that nearly 30 players and coaches were on the bus.

The team was headed to a 7 p.m. football game at Community High School in Nevada, in southeastern Collin County. Royse City is about 30 miles east of Dallas on Interstate 30 and straddles the Collin-Rockwall county line.

At Lake Pointe, Sherri Prigmore said she had been talking to her 16-year-old son, Shay, a trainer for the team, by cellphone when the accident occurred.

"All of a sudden there was confusion and clattering," she said. "The next thing he said was, 'Mom, we just wrecked. I'll call you back.' "

Shay called back a few minutes later and told his mother he was OK and that students were getting out of the bus.

Lake Pointe CEO John Harris said most of the injured at his hospital were reporting shoulder, neck and back pain.

"The good news is, all of these young men seem to be in relatively good condition," he said.

Staff writers Ian McCann, Tiara M. Ellis and Jim Getz contributed to this report.

E-mail mmhidalgo@dallasnews.com

handNthedirt
11-04-2005, 12:01 PM
We took this road on our way to a game earlier this season, we were all white-knucled holding the seat in front of us. It was so bad, we took the long way home. It is very unfortunate that this happened, but thank God everyone made it out alive with only bumps and bruises.

BMOC
11-04-2005, 12:10 PM
Sure glad everyone is ok. Thank God for that.

Bullaholic
11-04-2005, 12:13 PM
The kids' welfare is the most important thing, but in the aftermath I think it is going to be really rough for the coach who was driving the bus, regardless of whether he was negligent or not.

handNthedirt
11-04-2005, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
The kids' welfare is the most important thing, but in the aftermath I think it is going to be really rough for the coach who was driving the bus, regardless of whether he was negligent or not.

I totally agree, and that was the first thing I thought about after we got news that everybody was okay. That poor guy, I guarantee it wasn't his fault. That road might be the worst I've ever been on....including thousands of dirt roads. It's very narrow, windy, and uneven with sinkholes...the bus was rocking the whole time. I thought we were going to flip.