PDA

View Full Version : Remember Kendal

PlayaJBiehl20
11-02-2005, 09:56 PM
Does anyone remember Kendal Briles? I was reading my Dave Campbells 2000 edition and it talked about how good he was and the awesome potential he had. It was kinda funny. Just trying to get my posts to 115.

Gobbla2001
11-02-2005, 09:59 PM
Yah, he was a very good HS QB... coulda been good in college as well, took a year off his college career to go to UofH with his daddy, already had too good of a QB (another S'Ville QB though Briles finished out at WF) so he wasn't called upon...

Briles was a great QB...

LH Panther Mom
11-02-2005, 10:04 PM
Thank you! I was trying to remember his name a couple of weeks ago.

PlayaJBiehl20
11-02-2005, 10:09 PM
Just reminiscing. LOL

Pmoney
11-02-2005, 10:19 PM
i just cant believe he went to play for his daddy when he was playing for a great school like UT

wildstangs
11-02-2005, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Pmoney
i just cant believe he went to play for his daddy when he was playing for a great school like UT

If I remember correctly he wasn't getting a bunch of playing time at UT. I would have loved to see him running the U of H offense. for four years. He was an unbelievable athlete.

PlayaJBiehl20
11-02-2005, 10:28 PM
He would have been a great for Nebraska back when they ran all of the Wishbone.

injuredinmelee
11-03-2005, 10:07 AM
I think he missed alot of time at UT becasue of injury also. He was a heck of a high school qb. I can also remember a game at UH where he caught a td pass against okiehoma

Johnny Utah
11-03-2005, 10:19 AM
Nice ring!!!

keenoace
11-03-2005, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by PlayaJBiehl20
Does anyone remember Kendal Briles? I was reading my Dave Campbells 2000 edition and it talked about how good he was and the awesome potential he had. It was kinda funny. Just trying to get my posts to 115.

Yes, he was amazing!!:clap: I played against Kendal when his dad got the job for Texas Tech and played his senior year @ Frenship. He was a heck of and athlete. Him and Dave Tomas was a potent combo.

BMOC
11-03-2005, 11:08 AM
Man that kid was good!!!!!! He still plays for his dad, and the starting QB at Houston was tutored under Kendal at Stephenville before they left to Frenship.

Da Mules
11-03-2005, 02:50 PM
here's an article about another darn fine 3a player; Michal Brisco from Childress; now playing for WTU at Canyon

wanted was a chance

Childress grad Brisco finds home as WT free safety

By Les Giles
leslie.giles@amarillo.com

Michael Brisco became the kind of free safety that West Texas A&M head football coach Don Carthel had envisioned all along.
After playing the first nine games at rover in the Buffs' defensive scheme, Brisco started at free safety for the first time last week against Texas A&M-Commerce.

The former Childress standout responded with perhaps his best game of the season in the Buffs' come-from-behind 19-17 win. He had a team-high 13 tackles, including eight solos.

For the season, Brisco ranks fourth on the team with 60 tackles (30 solos). He has five tackles for losses and has recovered three fumbles.

After a standout high school career, Brisco attended Texas Tech. He never played there, and before enrolling at WT was out of football for two years.

''I missed playing football a lot,'' Brisco said. ''I never knew how much until I didn't play for two years. I'm glad to be here and playing again. I want to get a degree and just go from there. If playing at another level is an option, that will be great. If not, I'd like to be a college football coach.''

Carthel thought from the beginning of practice in August that Brisco could be an outstanding free safety.

''It's the position he was meant to play,'' Carthel said. ''He has so much range. You want him coming from the middle of the field where he can go sideline-to-sideline instead of from just one side.

''That fits him better. We are looking at having a rangy free safety that will hit you.''

Brisco, like his coach, says free safety is where he wants to be.

''Rover is basically man-to-man coverage,'' he said. ''At free safety you just come downhill and hit somebody. I like the contact. I always have.''

Up Next

The Game: West Texas A&M (9-1 overall, 7-1 in the LSC) at Tarleton State (7-2, 6-2), 7 p.m. Saturday, Stephenville.

Tuning In: KGNC 710-AM, 6:05 p.m.

So, why did it take nearly a season for Brisco to start at free safety?

''He came in way out of shape, had some family issues and missed a lot of practice time at the beginning of the season,'' Carthel said.

''These last few weeks, Michael has come on strong. Last week we decided to start him at free safety and move Keon Gaither to cornerback.

''Michael was a force back there. He hit as hard as any linebacker I've coached. Those Commerce running backs were looking for a place to go when they saw him coming. He was all over the field and hitting hard.''

Carthel said Brisco must continue to learn WT's defensive system in order to get better.

''If he can learn the defense and schemes we're doing, know where to fit in on all the running plays and not get fooled on play-action passes, everything will be OK. He is an aggressive player. I just think we will have an outstanding player at free safety for the next three years.''

Brisco said he has gained nearly 20 pounds since the beginning of the season. He came into camp in August weighing 180 pounds. He is currently at 197.

''I do a lot of weightlifting and eat all the time,'' he said.

Brisco credits Buffs defensive coordinator Mike Salinas with providing much-needed help.

''Coach Salinas has worked with me and got be back where I need to be,'' he said. ''This season has been a lot of fun, and I'm looking forward to more.''

NOTES: Offensive tackle Pat McCoy has been selected to play in the Hula Bowl ... quarterback Dalton Bell has been named a regional finalist for the Harlon Hill Award, presented annually to the Division II player of the year ... Nick Ashley, Rod Ansley and Chris Smith are expected to miss Saturday's game at Tarlelton because of injuries ... John Granger may not need surgery for a knee injury as was first thought ... the WT Alumni Association's fan bus to Stephenville has been canceled because of a scheduling conflict.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About Michael Brisco

Born: Jan. 5, 1984 in Childress.

High School: Childress.

College Major: Sports and exercise science.

Favorite Pro Team: Atlanta Falcons.

Favorite Pro Athlete: Michael Vick, Atlanta Falcons quarterback.

Career Goal: To be a college football coach if he doesn't get an opportunity to play professionally.