PDA

View Full Version : Matchup Keys

Bullaholic
11-02-2005, 10:44 AM
A lot of this is stating the obvious, but I think the biggest single factor in determining how well a given team might do against another in a game is how well they "matchup" on both sides of the ball. A big, powerful, rushing attack team will probably have more trouble with a smaller, faster defense who knows how to attack with their speed and tackles well. Similiarly, a big defensive unit with moderate speed will probably get beaten by a fast offense that "spreads" the field. I like to see how a team has done against the various types of offenses and defenses on the "matchups" and then apply that history to the type team that is to be played. In the main, "speed" is probably the biggest factor that influences the outcome of any given game in modern HS football. It comes down to how well the opposing coaches "outguess" each other on a given play and maximize the strengths and weaknesses of their units. Of couse, in HS ball, a "stud" or two on a given unit can make up for, or take advantage of, a lot of mistakes regardless of the scheme or play called on any given play.

handNthedirt
11-02-2005, 10:46 AM
I concur.