PDA

View Full Version : Does your Athletic Booster Club treat all teams the same?

softball_mom
11-01-2005, 10:23 PM
Just got an e-mail..... Athletic Booster Club is sponsoring a Pep Rally for our football team. This will be the day before our first play-off game. Yes....its great can't wait to go and show my support for our team!!! But what gets me our softball team made it all the way to the State final game. Did they get a pep rally?

Gobbla2001
11-01-2005, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by softball_mom
Just got an e-mail..... Athletic Booster Club is sponsoring a Pep Rally for our football team. This will be the day before our first play-off game. Yes....its great can't wait to go and show my support for our team!!! But what gets me our softball team made it all the way to the State final game. Did they get a pep rally?

Depends on how your booster club is ran...

Just so I am not accused of showing a biased towords football here (not saying you would, but someone would), will use a different example...

Say a booster club raised $1,000 selling shirts for their basketball team... wouldn't you like to see the money used to support the basketball team before any other team?

All depends on how much money the other sports raise I guess, maybe they have it sectioned out like that... I dunno... I'm just thinking as I type, as usual...:D

GreenMonster
11-01-2005, 10:27 PM
Football does get the Lion's share of the money here, but I have to admit they do a really fine job of spreading it around. Boys and girls are both showered with pretty much anything the coach asks for around here. Football is the most high profile and is also where the Booster Club earns most of it's money so in my opinion it is only right that the football team gets a bigger piece of the pie.

Fish's mom
11-01-2005, 10:50 PM
I have to say as a booster member, ours is pretty evened out. We purchased something for every sport last year........amount might of differed but it was what the coaches requested for their sport. I admit football usually may get more but only because 1. it serves more kids in ours school and 2 it brings in the most money,fans, and coverage. Pep rallies have always been something done for our football team but those are usually held by cheerleaders and the school. Cheerleaders don't cheer at our baseball games. But as far as a state championship, I would like to think they all get a warm good luck send off. But there will be differences, a tour bus for the football team because of the large number but a decorated small bus, cheering crowd for a baseball team etc.
It really depends on the town, what sport's big there and making it happen. If you believe that the girl's should get a pep rally, ask around and try to make it happen. Action!!:)

GreenMonster
11-01-2005, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Fish's mom
I have to say as a booster member, ours is pretty evened out. We purchased something for every sport last year........amount might of differed but it was what the coaches requested for their sport. I admit football usually may get more but only because 1. it serves more kids in ours school and 2 it brings in the most money,fans, and coverage. Pep rallies have always been something done for our football team but those are usually held by cheerleaders and the school. Cheerleaders don't cheer at our baseball games. But as far as a state championship, I would like to think they all get a warm good luck send off. But there will be differences, a tour bus for the football team because of the large number but a decorated small bus, cheering crowd for a baseball team etc.
It really depends on the town, what sport's big there and making it happen. If you believe that the girl's should get a pep rally, ask around and try to make it happen. Action!!:)

Good point Fish's Mom. I've always been told,"if you don't like the way things are working, get involved."

softball_mom
11-01-2005, 11:00 PM
The girls did get a send off !!!!! We did make it happen! But it was not sponsored by the booster club. Yes...I agree that football team does bring in alot more profit. Since our girls have to play on city fields. And we can not charge an entry fee. This is about the kids not the money!!! The girls like support just as much as the guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bulldogbark
11-01-2005, 11:00 PM
we have boosters club for each sport and the band. but I am sure that the football does draw more money than the others(just havent seen the golf boosters doing very much) but it does get spread around, It was last year that I read a story about a booster club in i think it was kentucky that raised 1.5 mil dollars for the band and football teams. We wouldnt know what to do with that much money. thats a heck of a lot of hot dogs:) :) :)

LHMom
11-01-2005, 11:07 PM
We still have an "All Sports Booster Club." Greater than 95% of our money is raised at football events, primarily shirts, caps, etc. and the concession stand. In order of priority that money is spend on 1) scholarships, 2) funding athletic banquets for all sports, and 3) requests from Athletic Director. Over the last few years, less than 50% of the funds have gone back to "football only" items, however we still have disgruntled folks on occasion that think it's "all about football." My experience over the last several years in LH is that the ones complaining don't even come to the meetings to vote on how the funds are dispersed, much less work numerous hours to help raise any of they money.

Overall I think we do a great job of spreading across all sports, both junior and high school.

Ranger Mom
11-02-2005, 12:01 AM
We have a booster club for each individual sport also. Yes, the football booster club has the most money, but around here, that's just the way it goes.

eagles_victory
11-02-2005, 12:10 AM
Here they will buy the football team a big Eagle head to run out of before the baseball team has a field to play on. Football gets a pep rally every game. When basketball gets deep in the playoffs and ask for one they make up some bs excuse everytime. Ours is suppose to be for all sports but it just goes to football.

Fish's mom
11-02-2005, 12:13 AM
The girls did get a send off !!!!! We did make it happen! But it was not sponsored by the booster club. Yes...I agree that football team does bring in alot more profit. Since our girls have to play on city fields. And we can not charge an entry fee. This is about the kids not the money!!! The girls like support just as much as the guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with you 100 percent. But like I said it depends on the town. Our boys and girls have a great fields, but the softball dugouts were small and hot so that was one of the things they requested for us to fix, we weren't able to actually fund it all so we went to the school board and they put in their budget. So sometimes as a booster we might not have the "funds" but we have the voice" it's just getting the coaches to let us know what they need , how much,etc. Sometimes it's a simple as bananas and water at the crosscountry meet but we need to know. And if the booster members don't have a child in certain sport , I'm sorry but we don't think about it, it takes someone speaking for them be it a parent or a coach. Because I honestly truthly can not tell you what the basketball, golf, tennis players want or need but thank god we have coaches that tell us because we just don't have the parents support in booster for these sports. I can barely keep up with my kids sports, much less anyone else's. I've learned sometimes you got to be loud. I have a daughter that will be in HS next year and I feel she will be supported in her sports as well as my son because we have coaches that let us know . And if we can't accomplish it as a booster than we'll look for outside help, be it other parents, businesses, school board, sometimes it just takes someone letting you know what you want.

Like we have a tradition of Thursday night dinner for our football players but this is not done by our booster because it's not allowed by UIL unless we do it for every sport so we as parents of the varsity football players take turns having it at our house with food either bought or cooked by others parents from the team. So it not a booster club thing, it's more of a team tradition carried out by parents and we lost alot of players last year(we have a real young team) we could of dropped the ball and stopped it but we thought it was important to keep it going .
Last year even had the baseball players doing it. Brings them closer together as a team. I wish you luck. Maybe you can start a little parade via the City commerence to send the girls off the next time, it doesn't always have to be by the school. If you let the students know they will come and support each other. And I do know sometimes the girls get short changed but I'll I can say is in my town we will continue to support them and help them in anyway possible Because you're right it's about the KIDS.
:)

AJ_2005
11-02-2005, 12:43 AM
football has and always will be the athletic booster's favorite and the towns favorite because its traditon texas football rules and thats all there is i know its not very fair but we all know that football and the players are treated alot different then others and they get special privileges..especially if they half decent

3afan
11-02-2005, 05:46 AM

softball_mom :: are YOU an ACTIVE member of the booster club? if YES then get in there and fight; if NO, then sorry, but be quiet.

:)

18handicap
11-02-2005, 07:00 AM
Softball Mom, who paid for the charter buses that ya'll used in the playoffs? But, I agree with you though. Since I still pay taxes there, who can I complain to.

softball_mom
11-02-2005, 07:13 AM
Dont get me wrong....the booster club did pay for the buses. The girls loved it. (the football team gets them also) 18.....you know our girls didnt get the support that they deserved. I guess last night it just rubbed me wrong after reading the e-mail. And I'm glad they support the football team. I would love to see them go deep in the play-offs. I just belive if you do for 1 do for the other!!!!!

hookandladder
11-02-2005, 07:23 AM

Trust me you are not alone, we played you in the championship game last year. We play on a little league field that was reworked 5 years ago, the work was done all by the Coach and some great parents. There was very little help from anyone within the School. All the money used to upgrade the field came from the Babe Ruth program and city grant, the funny thing about this field is that no matter who donates funds for improvements it all becomes property of the school. Also whatever upgrade you make you are responsible to repair at your cost. What a joke.

hookandladder
11-02-2005, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by 18handicap
Softball Mom, who paid for the charter buses that ya'll used in the playoffs? But, I agree with you though. Since I still pay taxes there, who can I complain to.

Good Luck if you think you will be getting charter buses in the playoffs.

3afan
11-02-2005, 07:40 AM
to all booster club complainers -- as I posted above -- if you are NOT an ACTIVE member then you have no room to complain IMO.

JOIN and GET INVOLVED !!!

Dogman_1969
11-02-2005, 08:41 AM
I think there is a law in Texas that states that a school district (not boosters) must spend money equally over a period of years. I know here in Rockdale the girls used to play softball at the youth fields. The school paid for some things out there as well. A couple of years ago the school board voted to build a new girls softball field adjacent to the Boys Baseball and the football fields. It is really nice and the girls needed a place to call their own.

Our booster club spends on all sports. We bought a basketball shooting device called "The Gun" for the girls program at the start of the school year. I think it cost $4K or so I think. The boys use it also but it was the head girls coach that ask for the machine. From what I hear it is a useful machine to help the shooting.

neck_06
11-02-2005, 08:47 AM
Message to softball_mom:

the west columbia booster club works like this:

Yes, football does prolly come first in their minds because it brings in alot of money. Softball has never been anything until last year, i think up until last year, the team's record was like 2-218.
all your softball coach has to do is go in front of them at one of the meetings and ASK! the boosters give money to anyone who asks. all she has to do is attend like 2 meetings act like she cares, and then ask for money, thats all the rest of the coaches do, i don't see why she is any different.

Sinton94
11-02-2005, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Good point Fish's Mom. I've always been told,"if you don't like the way things are working, get involved."

That pretty much sums it up!:clap:

softball_mom
11-02-2005, 08:52 AM
neck_06
you know how I feel about all this. We can have this discussion (again) at the house!!!

neck_06
11-02-2005, 08:54 AM
LOL!!!!

i know, i just had to say it again :P :D :P :D

neck_94
11-02-2005, 08:55 AM
I thought they did, from the city park...
and got a great showing of support at the STATE TOURNAMENT for both games...

FOOTBALL IS KING ! ! !

neck_06
11-02-2005, 08:56 AM
booster club didn't fund it, it was all the softball parents and fans, the booster club paid for nothing, it was still nice though

softball_mom
11-02-2005, 09:14 AM

3afan
11-02-2005, 09:19 AM
how a booster clubs spends their funds is controlled by the members of the booster club ... if there are no softball parents in the booster club then you're probably out of luck ... thats the hard reality. the members - moms and dads who'd kids play specific sports - do the work to raise the $ so naturally they are going to spend it on the sports their kids play.

so - one final time - if you want your local booster club to spend $ on you kids' sport then JOIN and become an ACTIVE member.

:thumbsup:

neck_94
11-02-2005, 09:28 AM
How many of your football players can break their ankle in 3 places

So go tell her FOOTBALL IS KING!!!

LOL......we love the Necks and neck_06. But softball is pretty cool. And how many of your guys could do what she did!!!! GO NECKS!!!!

Neck_06 can, and if he wasn't such a klutz, he would not have broke his ankle last year in the first place

neck_06
11-02-2005, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by neck_94
Neck_06 can, and if he wasn't such a klutz, he would not have broke his ankle last year in the first place

before this gets too far, let me say this, THE BALL WAS UNDERTHROWN, if it had been a good throw, I WOULD HAVE SCORED

neck_94
11-02-2005, 09:31 AM
yeah, just like this year against Hempstead...

except you did score..

softball_mom
11-02-2005, 09:35 AM
Lol.....Ok.....you both win!!! I quit!!! Go NECKS.....FOOTBALL ROCKS!! (neck_06 ankle was only broke in 1 place and he was prob. talking when he fell on it. About something he shouldnt have been talking about!! LOL!!!!)

neck_06
11-02-2005, 09:35 AM
LOW BLOW!!!

that was messed up

softball_mom
11-02-2005, 09:39 AM
LOL.....I thought it was a good 1!!!!

pancho villa
11-02-2005, 09:59 AM
Our track team went to the regional meet and to the state meet. Where they got 3rd. in the sprint relay.
however none of them are on here crying because they did not get a pep rally or a send off. Are they less important than softball?
Softball had a great year, but FOOTBALL is KING.

neck_06
11-02-2005, 10:03 AM
softball_mom empty your pm box

softball_mom
11-02-2005, 10:04 AM
I'm not crying!!!!!!!!!!! Forget it! I just believe ALL TEAMS need support !!! I already said i quit......football will always rule. And I know that!

scrub c
11-02-2005, 10:22 AM
speaking of girls sports,

are the girls going to be able to repeat?

...district?
...regionals??
...state???

JasperDog94
11-02-2005, 10:33 AM
But what gets me our softball team made it all the way to the State final game. Did they get a pep rally? When I was teaching, we had a pep rally for the TAKS test. Does that count?:rolleyes: :doh: :doh:

scrub c
11-02-2005, 10:36 AM
sweet, I think we need one too... and it would better if the booster club paid for it

softball_mom
11-02-2005, 10:39 AM
I would love to say YES!! But who both know making it to State is a hard road. But I believe we will have a good year! Still a young team.....lots of talent! Hey dont get me wrong....I wasnt crying. I guess a lil to much heart in softball!! LOL!! Go NECKS....but I cant believe I'll have to miss the game Friday night to go watch softball! Still trying to get out of that one!!!

Johnnypaycheck
11-02-2005, 10:42 AM
WC's baseball team didn't get a pep rally even though we went 4 rounds into playoffs...we didn't cry about it...

Our girls soccer team didn't get any pep rally after going to playoffs....

Pep Rally's are a waste. They are for fans and parents. If a player needs a pep rally to get motivated to play, then he isn't ready to play then...

softball_mom
11-02-2005, 10:53 AM
Omg....no one cried!!! Guys.....come on and I know none of the other teams got a pep rally. Big deal...pep-rally! I'm just saying we all need to support all the teams. Thats it!!! Its not a money issue are a boy/ girl issue. Just supporting our kids in what ever sport!!!

neck_94
11-02-2005, 10:58 AM
i hope everybody makes it to austin...

it was a great weekend for my family, kinda like a mini-vacation.

btw: get the booster club to build us a softball complex like weimar has....

BullFrog Dad
11-02-2005, 11:01 AM
If you want to talk about an athletic program that gets the short end of the stick check Powerlifting. Since it is not governed by the UIL(Texas HS PL Assn. controls it)PL doesn't get a nickle from the Booster Club. Don't tell me to get involved I was. The ironic thing is that most of the linemen participate, which increases their strength, and that helps improve the football team. BTW the best PL slogan I ever saw on a T-shirt was "I open with your third". Pretty good huh?

softball_mom
Lol....I would be happy with a new baseball/softball fields like Needville has!

Johnnypaycheck
yeah, i was hoping we could get a softball/baseball complex like weimar's.. Their softball complex is awesome and so is their baseball park...

GO NECKS and LADY NECKS!

neck_94
11-02-2005, 11:04 AM
we have powerlifting too:
its called off-season

neck_94
11-02-2005, 11:04 AM
you know, that time of the year when everybody else is doing that 7on7 stuff...

BullFrog Dad
11-02-2005, 11:16 AM
we have powerlifting too:
its called off-season You're having trouble understanding I can tell. PL actually has meets. The competition consists of three attempts in three different lifts(leg squat, bench press, dead lift). Your combined total of the highest successful lift in each type is how you place in your weight division. They have regional meets and a state meet which was held in Houston this past season. Glad I was able to teach you something today. Have a good one!

44INAROW
11-02-2005, 11:24 AM
you know, that time of the year when everybody else is doing that 7on7 stuff...

What's wrong with 7 on 7? Both are done here in Cuero

neck_94
11-02-2005, 11:25 AM
dude chill,
I am aware of this...
we sent two to the state meet last year...

3afan
11-02-2005, 11:27 AM
Texas High School Powerlifting Association (http://www.thspa.org/)

pancho villa
11-02-2005, 11:59 AM
You don't want our powerlifting coming and spanking ya'lls team. Our boys are strong.

Fish's mom
11-02-2005, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by BullFrog Dad
If you want to talk about an athletic program that gets the short end of the stick check Powerlifting. Since it is not governed by the UIL(Texas HS PL Assn. controls it)PL doesn't get a nickle from the Booster Club. Don't tell me to get involved I was. The ironic thing is that most of the linemen participate, which increases their strength, and that helps improve the football team. BTW the best PL slogan I ever saw on a T-shirt was "I open with your third". Pretty good huh?

POWERLIFTING EVEN GOT SOMETHING FROM US IN A ROUND ABOUT WAY.............turfed the new weight room. And other things that were added to the room.......this is used by the girls and boys of all sports...So I believe we try to be fair, at least I would like to think so........even the tunnel we bought this year we thought about the other sports, we went with a plain tunnel instead of a helmet so it could be possibly be used for other sports....

RMAC
11-02-2005, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Fish's mom

I played tennis in IP yesterday for school and I'm not taking a shot at the people there b/c I like the kids there that I play and the coach is a really nice guy, but IP could invest in either more courts, or at least in a resurfacing treatment b/c it was bad. They have a good tennis program there but it didn't seem like they got much love. Here in Graham each year we do a tie-break marathon from 6 A.M. til 6 P.M. where we play continuous tie-breakers all day and get people to pay us X-amount of $ for each breaker we play as an individual. Sort of like jump-rope for heart. We then use that $ for things such as wind-screens, nets, etc. It's a real help b/c after we buy our uni's there's not much left for anything else.

UPanIN
11-03-2005, 10:39 AM
All the programs are important for the kids.

Fan support 3A:

Football - 2000-5000 every Friday
Basketball / 1500 per game +-500
Baseball / 500 per game +-200
Softball / 200 per game +-100
Track / 100 per event +-50
Power Lifting / 50 per event +-25

These numbers are just a guess. Your town support may be better or NOT. By looking at the numbers you might consider that more parents of football players will be active in the booster club ie more money for that program.

The booster club I've been involved in trys to help the programs that asked for the money as much as they can.

Football is still the King though and the AD makes sure they get what they need.