PDA

View Full Version : Server Load for Friday (let me know!)

Administrator
08-26-2003, 07:57 PM
Football Friday is just days away. Many of you who were on 3A Down Low last year recall how severe the server load had gotten on Friday nights, making it nearly impossible to get on your favorite sports site and post scores, information, game recaps, etc. Because of you donating throughout the 2003 winter/spring months, We've been able to purchase a new server which should handle the load of the mass amounts of visitors who hit the site on Friday nights between 9:00PM and MIDNIGHT.

Even though Week 0 is the official start of the season, Week 1 will probably be even more active on the board. However, I'd like to hear your input on how the board ran before, during, and after the games. Please let me know if there are any difficulties logging on, etc. Please take note of the exact error message you receive (if any at all! Hopefully not!) and we'll see what the problem is, and if there is a fix. As with all new server installs, load will possibly be an issue until we get things tweaked a tad. The server has definately doesn't know what it's in for in just a few days! lol.

Anyway, Do let me know how it runs for everyone Friday evening.. Please post your problems/questions in this thread and i'll get back with you! Your input is greatly appreciated!

<small>[ August 26, 2003, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: Administrator ]</small>

HotDawg89
08-27-2003, 09:56 PM
Thanks for all your hard work!

TarponFanInNorthTexas
08-29-2003, 08:40 PM
No problems as of yet. Then again, most of the posters are AT the games......we'll see how the site runs after everyone comes home.

Chris Hart
08-29-2003, 11:12 PM
Working great for me. Thanks! :)

jason
08-29-2003, 11:42 PM
about 11:45....seems to be doing fine...

Ranger Mom
08-30-2003, 12:03 AM
I'm on regular ole "dial-up" and I am bouncing back and forth between posts with NO problem at all!

j_dog
08-30-2003, 12:53 AM
I have been checking the board all night while listening to the PNG/Jasper broadcast. No problems whatsoever. Thanks. :)

sinton66
08-30-2003, 08:11 AM
Matt, as best I could tell, the board worked perfectly last night. However, we still didn't have the sheer volume we usually do on Friday nights. That should change soon. It looks good though.

coollampin
08-30-2003, 09:54 AM
It does seem to work a lot faster than last year, Great job Matt,keep it up,thanks for allowing us this forum!!!

pirate4state
08-30-2003, 09:56 AM
Didn't have any problems.

zeke
08-30-2003, 11:33 AM
posted a topic after midnite and it didn't show up on the board for about half an hour....thought I screwed up and deleted the post by accident.

Administrator
08-30-2003, 07:21 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments! As sinton66 said above, the volume of last night probably wasn't nothing what's going to happen starting this coming Friday and throughout the season.. I monitored the bandwidth last night, and it definitely peaked for the first time this year to the highest point, doubling what has been the 'average' for the entire year. I Will probably have another post similar to this one for this upcoming week as well one last time to see comments for another week when I have a feeling will be a large surge of visits.

After the Bridge City / LC-M game, I logged into the server from the coaches office and watched for about 5 minutes the server load, which was amazingly very low, with there being about 2 page views to the site per 1 to 3 seconds. Thus far the server is handling the traffic great.

Again, thanks for the comments/help! Look for another post coming this week for one last round of input! :)

Zeke:&gt; I Have a feeling what happened in your case was the page was probably cached in your Temporary Files. This does happen occasionally and is corrected most of the time by just closing your browser and re-opening it. If it happens again, definitely let me know!

Hope the team you support won their game yesterday, and good luck to all teams this season!

Ranger Mom
08-30-2003, 09:40 PM
I am having trouble after I send a post. It hangs up when "processing". I have to leave the page and come back in. Post show up then!!

It hangs up trying to post the 3Adownlow picture are the top of the page!

Ranger Mom
08-30-2003, 09:58 PM
Okay, I closed aol and dumped my cookies - everything is working just fine now!!

zeke
08-30-2003, 10:57 PM
Well I hit my refresh button multiple times which generally updates my ability to view new posts. Wouldn't that do the same thing as closing and reopening my browser.