PDA

View Full Version : HS Football Before Computers

Bullaholic
11-01-2005, 04:56 PM
I remember the "old" days of HS football before computers when fans had to recite team records and scores from "memory". It seems that back in those days every town and school had an old guy or two who could recite their team's records, rosters, and entire histories from memory, and of course, never missed a game. I wonder if any of those guys are still around.

District303aPastPlayer
11-01-2005, 04:58 PM
Mathis has one named Ramon who could tell you district stats for the past couple of years

HighSchool Fan
11-01-2005, 05:04 PM
There was 2 from Gainesville that i can remember. unfortunatly one passed away a few weeks ago. the other says he hasn't missed a game since the 50's, he actually played under buddy ryan when buddy coached at Gainesville.

Old Green
11-01-2005, 05:38 PM
I hope to be one of those old guys one day.:devil: :D

Bullaholic
11-01-2005, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Old Green
I hope to be one of those old guys one day.:devil: :D

I do too, Old Green----but I have to rely on computers. My memory is about as long as....well, it ain't what it used to be, anyhow.....

Old Green
11-01-2005, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I do too, Old Green----but I have to rely on computers. My memory is about as long as....well, it ain't what it used to be, anyhow..... Couple of years ago I started doing research on teams the Gobblers had played. Found interesting stuff. Of course I have seen some of the best games in person and try to bring it back from memory. Computers sure help though.

mwynn05
11-01-2005, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
There was 2 from Gainesville that i can remember. unfortunatly one passed away a few weeks ago. the other says he hasn't missed a game since the 50's, he actually played under buddy ryan when buddy coached at Gainesville. wasn;t one of them over there by us in Forney