PDA

View Full Version : Jasper vs Silsbee... the OTHER SE Texas game of the week

spiveyrat
10-31-2005, 09:18 AM
Both teams are 4-0 in district play and both are heading for the playoffs. This one will be a scrap for the district title. Who wins?

spiveyrat
10-31-2005, 09:20 AM
I was a homer. I voted for Jasper! :D

Jasper 35 Silsbee 21

WOSgrad
10-31-2005, 09:30 AM
Silsbee has played better since coming back from Rita, but Jasper has found a whole other gear!

Jasper 28
Silsbee 7

Old Green
10-31-2005, 09:37 AM
Voted for Jasper. Too many skill players for the Tigers to contain.

bulldogbark
10-31-2005, 09:41 AM
Homer here, but it does seem like we are a completely different team since the Hurricane. and I guess one can say the same for Silsbee but:.....

Jasper 34
Silsbee 14:)

jet sweep
10-31-2005, 09:47 AM
I think this one may be a little closer than you think. I was looking at common opponents and margins of victory seem pretty similar with the exception of kirbyville game. Should be a really good game.

Jasper 34

Silsbee 28

Tiger90
10-31-2005, 11:25 AM
Doesn't matter to me......high 5s all around. :clap: We meet once again this year in week 10 for the district championship. This is the way things are supposed to happen. Hopefully Jasper won't ruin the homecoming.

duckbutter
10-31-2005, 11:49 AM
Jasper keeps on rolling....:thumbsup:

Hupernikomen
10-31-2005, 11:53 AM
Jasper vs Silsbee is a rivalry that goes way way back. Usually these games defy the odds and pollsters opinions. I am expecting Jasper to win, but then again I was last year too.

bulldogbark
10-31-2005, 12:19 PM
Not to seem mean or anything but we can not only win the district championship but ruin their homecomeing. I havent ruined a homecoming since I forgot who my date was at mine:devil: :devil: :devil:

Paratrooper
10-31-2005, 12:24 PM
JASPER 35
SILSBEE 14

bulldogbark
10-31-2005, 12:28 PM
very close to mine there paratrooper. but i will give or take a point or two:)

jet sweep
10-31-2005, 01:39 PM
I remember all this talk last year. No one was predicting a Silsbee victory and oops....they won. I have a hard time believing that Silsbee is going to fight their way back only to let Jasper come in and beat them by 20 pts or more. If they do..hats off to em, but i'm not betting on it. Lets not forget...Jasper let Buna score 20 pts......yes BUNA.

bulldogbark
10-31-2005, 01:44 PM
yes Buna but if you were there or read some of the posts on that game Coach Lauve had the 9th grade team in there mid way through the 3rd qrt. Our sub varsity teams had no games that week. I was looking at some silsbee stats....do they even have a passing game, cause if they dont it will be a very long night for the Tiggers. I didnt see any steller passing by the Tigger team. but we will find out in less than 5 days now wont we:devil: :eek: :devil: :eek: :devil:

Hupernikomen
10-31-2005, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by bulldogbark
yes Buna but if you were there or read some of the posts on that game Coach Lauve had the 9th grade team in there mid way through the 3rd qrt. Our sub varsity teams had no games that week. I was looking at some silsbee stats....do they even have a passing game, cause if they dont it will be a very long night for the Tiggers. I didnt see any steller passing by the Tigger team. but we will find out in less than 5 days now wont we:devil: :eek: :devil: :eek: :devil:

No excuses man..we gave up 20 to Buna..that is too many even if it was the JV. (Sorry Cougar fans I was joking)

This is going to be a very hard fought contest. Usually it ends in a TD or less when these two hook up and both are competitive.

j_dog
10-31-2005, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Tiger90
Doesn't matter to me......high 5s all around. :clap: We meet once again this year in week 10 for the district championship. This is the way things are supposed to happen. Hopefully Jasper won't ruin the homecoming.
I agree. This game is for pride, for bragging rights, for fun, for the record, but just like pre-season has not one iota bit of bearing on who plays who in the playoffs. Or on who makes the playoffs. Play ball and have some fun! :clap: Jasper 50, Silsbee 0. Sorry, just kidding! :) It will be closer than that. :cool:

AggiesAreWe
10-31-2005, 03:06 PM
Silsbee will score more than the 14 points that most of you have predicted. Jasper's defense not that tough. Silsbee win's 28-27 on a Jasper missed extra point.

j_dog
10-31-2005, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by AggiesAreWe
Silsbee will score more than the 14 points that most of you have predicted. Jasper's defense not that tough. Silsbee win's 28-27 on a Jasper missed extra point.
You may be right about Silsbee winning, but no way will Jasper score exactly 27 points. Jasper goes for two every time! :p

89JDAWG
10-31-2005, 03:26 PM
No bearing what so ever on the playoff picture, but unlike last year I cant see the coaches sitting out most of our starters like last year. We have kids in new places and they are still learning so we may be vanilla on offence but we will score some points. As far as the common opponents Shepard and Kville played them close and they were easy wins for jasper. It should be a fun game!!
Jasper 34
Silsbee 13

jet sweep
10-31-2005, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by 89JDAWG
No bearing what so ever on the playoff picture, but unlike last year I cant see the coaches sitting out most of our starters like last year. We have kids in new places and they are still learning so we may be vanilla on offence but we will score some points. As far as the common opponents Shepard and Kville played them close and they were easy wins for jasper. It should be a fun game!!
Jasper 34
Silsbee 13

Thats hilarious!!! Sat out most of the starters....hahahaha!!! I just don't understand people like you. Never give anyone credit...bad personality trait my man!!! I'd like u to back that bone headed statement up!!

AggiesAreWe
10-31-2005, 03:51 PM
Because they knew they were going to the playoffs, Silsbee played their 2nd and 3rd teams the whole game against Jasper last year.:rolleyes:

Tiger90
10-31-2005, 03:56 PM

Passing game is terrible. One week qb can't hit the water standing on the beach, next week the wrs have amputated hands. It is very inconsistent. BUT Silsbee has improved on one thing that probably cost them from being undefeated again this year......turnovers. Those early 3 losses were caused by more than 20 fumbles and ints. It was horrible to watch. Probably the best qb in Silsbee is in 8th grade. That kid will be a stud. Look for him to start in the defensive backfield next year as a freshman.

j_dog
10-31-2005, 03:58 PM
Jasper did hold out RB/DB Jordan Patton because he was injured. I didn't notice anyone else being held out.

bulldogbark
10-31-2005, 07:26 PM
and this week we are not holding anything back.:) cept maybe those nachos,, man they are getting ruff:(

j_dog
10-31-2005, 07:28 PM
and this week we are not holding anything back.:) cept maybe those nachos,, man they are getting ruff:(
Then we are ready to rumble! :cool:

bulldogbark
10-31-2005, 07:43 PM
hey J_dog were you at the game Saturday? did you like my Lets get ready to rumble thing on the intercom:) :) :) :)

GS#17
10-31-2005, 07:44 PM
Silsbee's playing well, but I don't see them being able to upend Jasper. Jasper should win this one, and at least a few more after this one, as well.

j_dog
10-31-2005, 08:21 PM
hey J_dog were you at the game Saturday? did you like my Lets get ready to rumble thing on the intercom:) :) :) :)
Yeah, I was there. I liked it so much I rumbled all the way back to Huntsville! :D Since Jody is busy with BH right now, you can be our new secret weapon! :cool:

bulldogbark
10-31-2005, 10:32 PM
I just think if we keep our cool, and stay consistant we will have no problem,,, then I do believe its Rusk next and I dont think we will have to much of a problem with them,,,but Silsbee is next

YBS
10-31-2005, 10:48 PM
Folks, don't take Jasper fans' confidence as conceit. We truly believe our team will win with conviction. Silsbee will be fired up b/c it's their homecoming & we'll be fired up b/c they won district last year. It'll be a fight either way.

Jasper 34
Silsbee 21

Hupernikomen
11-01-2005, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by YBS
Folks, don't take Jasper fans' confidence as conceit. We truly believe our team will win with conviction. Silsbee will be fired up b/c it's their homecoming & we'll be fired up b/c they won district last year. It'll be a fight either way.

Jasper 34
Silsbee 21

Just excited to have a chance at the playoffs and a district championship after the way our year has gone so far.

Tiger12
11-01-2005, 11:53 AM
I too think it will be a great game. Silsbee will be pumped because they have turned their season around by going 4-0 since the break because of Rita, it is homecoming and they are playing for a district championship again! Not to mention it is against a long time rival, Jasper! I am looking forward to the game which should be close with Silsbee coming out on top 24-21!

AggiesAreWe
11-01-2005, 11:59 AM
I agree with you jdog. Jordan Patton was the only starter that missed the Silsbee game last year. That was a key player for the Bulldogs not to have for that game, that's for sure. But for 89JDAWG to post that most of Jasper's starters ( which would have to be more than 11 ) did not play, is an out and out lie. Jordan Patton was a great player for Jasper, good enough to have definetly made a difference against the Tigers last year, but he doesn't account for 11 or more starters though.

j_dog
11-01-2005, 04:09 PM
Yes, not playing Patton was a biggie considering how close the game was without him. We will never know if he would have made the difference, but it just was not worth the risk for him to re-injure. Jasper needed him for the playoffs more than it needed him in that game. And Patton did make the difference in several playoff games. :)

Hupernikomen
11-01-2005, 07:25 PM
I agree with you jdog. Jordan Patton was the only starter that missed the Silsbee game last year. That was a key player for the Bulldogs not to have for that game, that's for sure. But for 89JDAWG to post that most of Jasper's starters ( which would have to be more than 11 ) did not play, is an out and out lie. Jordan Patton was a great player for Jasper, good enough to have definetly made a difference against the Tigers last year, but he doesn't account for 11 or more starters though.

I agree with you. Jasper is good a winning football games, and too many of our fans are even better of telling everyone why we lost the rest.

bulldogbark
11-01-2005, 07:49 PM
I still have to go with my

Jasper 34
Silsbee 14

I just dont think they can stop us with all the recievers we have and the running backs. To many options for them to cover. IMO:)

wos fan1
11-01-2005, 08:51 PM
Jasper wins this one 33-14..

tigers den
11-01-2005, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by wos fan1
Jasper wins this one 33-14..

Wanna bet??

PlayaJBiehl20
11-01-2005, 10:31 PM
I think that Jasper will get this one. (How is Sean Weatherspoon, from Jasper,doing?)

West22
11-01-2005, 10:50 PM
ANY HOPE OF GETTING MOE BACK FOR PLAYOFFS?

bulldogbark
11-01-2005, 11:13 PM
thats a big I dont know,, I am sure they would welcome him back with open arms...not sure where he would play but I am sure it would be a contribution.....just dont know:confused: :confused:

wos fan1
11-01-2005, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by tigers den
Wanna bet?? How much?? 1,000.00??

Tiger90
11-01-2005, 11:48 PM
It's great to be supportive of your team and in this case Silsbee, but I hope we don't get the fairweather trashtalkers like we did last season. Silsbee is down. Silsbee cut down on the turnovers and is on a 4 game streak, but let's be realistic. If you look at the offensive production, it has been horrible. Silsbee barely had 100 yards of offense versus Kirbyville. The qb went 1/11/1 int. for 27 yards. That 1 completion was a td. If Kirbyville's coach was worth anything, his playcalling was terrible, they would have beaten Silsbee. They dominated statistically. Sure a win is a win, but at some point that weak offensive showing will catch up. Hopefully Silsbee is coming together and will "peak". It will be a decent game. I won't pick either team. Obviously I want Silsbee to win, but I'm not stupid enough to go against a battletested Bulldog squad. At any rate at least Kirbyville isn't playing for the district championship.:cool:

j_dog
11-01-2005, 11:50 PM

bulldogbark
11-01-2005, 11:52 PM
At any rate at least Kirbyville isn't playing for the district championship.

Yeah you got that right. a win is a win and I was so happy that yall was able to beat them.:) :) :) :) as you can tell i am not a KBVL fan at all:devil: :devil: :devil:

Tiger90
11-02-2005, 12:09 AM
I am not particularly fond of them myself. After last season's trash talk after beating Jasper, to their complaints of ref bias in getting whipped by Silsbee, to the antics of their coach, I definitely have no love for that program.:devil: :hand:

AggiesAreWe
11-02-2005, 07:03 AM
Tiger90, I hope you don't consider me a fair weather fan. I have posted on here and other boards continuously in support of my Tigers. Yes, I do agree with you about the Tiger team this year, we are suffering offensively. But, our defense has really come on strong of late and I think our offense is ready for a breakout game. Will it be against Jasper, I don't know, but if not let's hope it's next week against Palestine.

Tiger90
11-02-2005, 09:08 AM
No you have been around. I have no beef with anyone. I hope my post didn't stir anything. It is great that we have folks who support our team. I also think it is great to have new members find this board. I just hope we don't have some Silsbee folk show up and talk noise just because we are doing decent right now. I guess the Palestine talk from last season is still in the back of my mind. It's going to be a good game Friday.

BlueBlood
11-02-2005, 09:16 AM
I will be pulling for Silsbee but do they really have a chance? I doubt it. Jasper by 30.

jet sweep
11-02-2005, 09:49 AM
It's great to be supportive of your team and in this case Silsbee, but I hope we don't get the fairweather trashtalkers like we did last season. Silsbee is down. Silsbee cut down on the turnovers and is on a 4 game streak, but let's be realistic. If you look at the offensive production, it has been horrible. Silsbee barely had 100 yards of offense versus Kirbyville. The qb went 1/11/1 int. for 27 yards. That 1 completion was a td. If Kirbyville's coach was worth anything, his playcalling was terrible, they would have beaten Silsbee. They dominated statistically. Sure a win is a win, but at some point that weak offensive showing will catch up. Hopefully Silsbee is coming together and will "peak". It will be a decent game. I won't pick either team. Obviously I want Silsbee to win, but I'm not stupid enough to go against a battletested Bulldog squad. At any rate at least Kirbyville isn't playing for the district championship.:cool:

They scored 21 pts and i heard dropped two wide open passes for td's......i wouldn't call that horrible. Sounds like the plays were there..just didn't capitalize on them.

Tiger12
11-02-2005, 11:09 AM
You can throw stats, records, comparisons and everything else out the window when it comes to a rivalry game like Silsbee vs. Jasper. Both teams will be ready to play. I look for it to be a great game with both teams being successful at things that they may have not been in the past simply because of the focus that both teams will have. Both teams have secured play-offs spots so all that is riding on this is the district championship! If that doesn't get you ready to play Friday night, nothing will!

Tiger90
11-02-2005, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by jet sweep
They scored 21 pts and i heard dropped two wide open passes for td's......i wouldn't call that horrible. Sounds like the plays were there..just didn't capitalize on them.

That is very true, but that has occured all season not just that 1 game. One week the qb struggles, the next a wr, the next....... that's the whole point. I am hoping they get it all together.

jet sweep
11-02-2005, 12:36 PM
That is very true, but that has occured all season not just that 1 game. One week the qb struggles, the next a wr, the next....... that's the whole point. I am hoping they get it all together.

Well....can't argue that. What better a game than against Jasper to put it all together!!!

89JDAWG
11-02-2005, 12:41 PM

Did yall go to the same game I did? Several starters did not play at all. others were given the 1st quarter and others the first three quarters, yes some did play the whole game and remember patton game in late as the decoy for a play. The coaches concern was to not tip any plays for the future I'm afraid that will happen again this friday but with our playoff track record who can argue with sucess. but a district title would be nice. win or lose we will be playing the 3rd place team in the other district.

AggiesAreWe
11-02-2005, 12:55 PM
89JDAWG, you are the only Jasper fan that I have heard or have personally spoken to that claims that Jasper had most, and I repeat MOST, of their starters out of the last year's Silsbee game. I was at the game as well and I went to Jasper's playoff game against Liberty that was held in Silsbee, and other than Patton, that was the same team in both games. MOST of the Jasper fans that I've come in contact with don't use excuses for wins or losses but just take it for what it's worth and go on to the next game. If 11 or more starters for Jasper did not play last year like you say, then I guess the same could be said about Silsbee. Our starters rotated every play anyway. Didn't you notice?:rolleyes:

Hupernikomen
11-02-2005, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by 89JDAWG
Did yall go to the same game I did? Several starters did not play at all. others were given the 1st quarter and others the first three quarters, yes some did play the whole game and remember patton game in late as the decoy for a play. The coaches concern was to not tip any plays for the future I'm afraid that will happen again this friday but with our playoff track record who can argue with sucess. but a district title would be nice. win or lose we will be playing the 3rd place team in the other district.

I was at the game too. J_Dog and I actually checked all of our starters to determine how many seniors we had playing. I don't remember anyone other than Jordan sitting out in that game. I do remember the Freshman (at the time) Spikes playing very well and helping us throughout the playoffs though.

tigerettedad
11-02-2005, 09:27 PM
thats the funniest thing i've heard in a long time, everbody knows that jaspers starters were in the game, that was the best high scholl football game i've ever seen in my life,i have a feeling this one friday night will closed to the same game!!!!!!

Tiger90
11-02-2005, 10:32 PM
Last season was epic. Great game that ranks with some of the best.

There have been 2 Silsbee games that will always stand out as all time greats, last season's Jasper game and '93's Silsbee vs Nederland. If anyone remembers that is the game Jay McGuire, former U of H rb, had 424 yards rushing and several punt returns and kick off returns for 5-6 tds. I believe it ended with a 45-42 type of score. That was an incredible game.

WOS87
11-02-2005, 10:35 PM
I had a little spare time this evening and put this together for the occasion. Good luck to both teams!

Jasper vs. Silsbee

As far as I could tell the Jasper-Silsbee rivalry dates back at least all the way to 1922, with 67 meetings between the two since then and with this weekend being the 58th consecutive yearly meeting dating back to 1948.

Jasper's highest point total and largest margin of victory of the series was their 56-13 win in 1992.
Silsbee's highest point total and largest margin of victory was their 59-0 win in 1967.

Silsbee has been shutout 11 times
Jasper has been shutout 10 times

Longest streaks
Silsbee - 9 consecutive wins (1960-1968)
Jasper - 8 consecutive wins (1990-1997)

All-Time Head-to-Head Series (Jasper leads 38-27-2)
Year Jasper - Silsbee
1922 - 6 - 24
1923 - 13 - 0
1932 - 7 - 0
1933 - 18 - 12
1933 - 0 - 0
1934 - 0 - 6
1935 - 18 - 0
1936 - 6 - 0
1937 - 0 - 14
1938 - 6 - 7
1948 - 7 - 12
1949 - 39 - 0
1950 - 6 - 26
1951 - 20 - 6
1952 - 0 - 7
1953 - 28 - 13
1954 - 34 - 0
1955 - 32 - 6
1956 - 26 - 7
1957 - 20 - 13
1958 - 0 - 41
1959 - 14 - 6
1960 - 0 - 21
1961 - 18 - 22
1962 - 7 - 35
1963 - 0 - 43
1964 - 0 - 29
1965 - 8 - 36
1966 - 13 - 56
1967 - 0 - 59
1968 - 13 - 36
1969 - 44 - 7
1970 - 21 - 14
1971 - 8 - 35
1972 - 26 - 7
1973 - 14 - 34
1974 - 6 - 19
1975 - 21 - 14
1976 - 13 - 29
1977 - 14 - 34
1978 - 32 - 7
1979 - 23 - 0
1980 - 28 - 7
1981 - 16 - 6
1982 - 42 - 6
1983 - 24 - 0
1984 - 33 - 17
1985 - 10 - 14
1986 - 22 - 0
1987 - 39 - 6
1988 - 10 - 10
1989 - 7 - 13
1990 - 24 - 6
1991 - 15 - 14
1992 - 56 - 13
1993 - 17 - 7
1994 - 47 - 6
1995 - 17 - 14
1996 - 33 - 14
1997 - 10 - 6
1998 - 6 - 20
1999 - 0 - 17
2000 - 30 - 7
2001 - 37 - 0
2002 - 42 - 12
2003 - 27 - 14
2004 - 28 - 29

bulldogbark
11-02-2005, 10:52 PM
yeah I remember it well 1922 , just entering the 11 grade,, coming out onto the new football stadium. strapping my leather helment on..........:) :) :) :)

AggiesAreWe
11-02-2005, 11:32 PM
WOS87, great post, I really appreciate the info. I knew we had started playing Jasper in the 20's, but I couldn't remember how many consecutive years it has been that we have played them. This has to be one of the longest running rivalries in the state. 38-27-2 in Jasper's favor. That's probably closer than what most fans, other than Silsbee's and Jasper's, would have thought it to be. This Tiger fan is hoping that record goes to 38-28-2 after this Friday night.

AggiesAreWe
11-02-2005, 11:37 PM
BTW, what is the record between Silsbee and WOS? I personaly can only think of 2 to 3 wins for the Tigers over the Stangs. One I think was already mentioned earlier, the 93 win. That was the year McGuire for Silsbee was battling Cleveland of WOS for the area rushing title. McGuire won out with his 2,000 yards.

AggiesAreWe
11-02-2005, 11:41 PM
Another win was in 98, the first round of the playoffs, when we beat a then #1 ranked WOS team 21-20. That year we went on to lose to LaMarque in the regional finals 20-14. At least we can say we are undefeated to the Mustangs in the playoffs, since that was the only time we have played.

WOS87
11-02-2005, 11:42 PM
BTW, what is the record between Silsbee and WOS?

WO-S leads the series (11-2-0)
You guys won the 1993 predistrict game 20-14 and then knocked our 10-0 team out of the 1st round of the playoffs in 1998 21-20 after we had already beaten you 17-0 earlier in the season.

1986 WO-S 24-7
1987 WO-S 32-8
1990 WO-S 20-12
1991 WO-S 28-26
1992 WO-S 33-0
1993 Silsbee 20-14
1994 WO-S 22-7
1995 WO-S 34-13
1998 WO-S 17-0
1998 Silsbee 21-20
1999 WO-S 26-9
2002 WO-S 23-9
2003 WO-S 41-6

Aesculus gilmus
11-03-2005, 12:23 PM
Jasper will win this one by a comfortable margin.

It seems to me they are a team on a mission these days. And T Ray has stepped in like a pro at QB.

A Buckeyes-Bulldogs rematch is not beyond the realm of possibility. In fact, I like Jasper's chances of making it that far better than ours. Our team is very young.

j_dog
11-03-2005, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by WOS87
I had a little spare time this evening and put this together for the occasion. Good luck to both teams!

WOS87, you are THE MAN! I have been asking for this data for years now! Thanks. :clap: :clap: :clap: :)

j_dog
11-03-2005, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
.......And T Ray has stepped in like a pro at QB.
I do agree for sure about T Ray. He has amazingly filled the void. :) He may be the best pure passer for Jasper in many a year.