PDA

View Full Version : Hey Old Card!

X Man
10-30-2005, 10:28 PM
At the first of the season, I asked what your prediction was on the outcome of the WOS-BC game. You replied "Who cares, that is a weeks from now". OK, it here, so I ask you again, what is your prediction on the WOS-BC game???????

Old Cardinal
10-31-2005, 10:52 AM
I think it is too close to call. Here is the #1 Division I 3A team being challenged within their own District-that is good enough for me.
It was interesting once WO-S began to plunge from that high 4A enrollment you were not so hot!
You don't want 3A DL folks to know but you did not even make the playoffs regularly for a number of the latter years in 4A.
The last good team I thought was newsworthy was the one that lost to Ennis in the finals and that was quite sometime back.
Your team this year is the best team you have fielded in many many years. You should be picked to win this game and even state.
If you lose your always arrogant fans will disappear just like they did after the Huffman whipping last year.

wos fan1
10-31-2005, 10:58 AM
That was a fluke loss to Huffman last year. Hell Huffman may not even make the playoffs this year.

BlueBlood
10-31-2005, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by wos fan1
That was a fluke loss to Huffman last year. Hell Huffman may not even make the playoffs this year. :confused:

3afan
10-31-2005, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Old Cardinal
... lost to Ennis in the finals ...

I was at that game !!! :clap:

duckbutter
10-31-2005, 11:44 AM
That was a fluke loss to Huffman last year. Hell Huffman may not even make the playoffs this year. I wouldn't call it a fluke loss, WOS was just not all that great last year.

WOS92
10-31-2005, 11:47 AM
Yeah, we missed the playoffs for three years in 4A, but two of those years we had an 8-2 overall record. It was nothing compared to the struggles that BC had in 4A, though, was it? What were those records? I think the second-best record since the 70s was like 5-5, wasn't it?
Old Card, people on this board are right about you.

Hupernikomen
10-31-2005, 11:54 AM
That was a fluke loss to Huffman last year. Hell Huffman may not even make the playoffs this year.

Fluke my eye. Huffman was big and strong and won the game. It was no fluke.

Rainman
10-31-2005, 12:14 PM
This year is not last year or years past.
Bridge City is looking good and West Orange-Stark is looking good.
Good game.

Paratrooper
10-31-2005, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by WOS92
Yeah, we missed the playoffs for three years in 4A, but two of those years we had an 8-2 overall record. It was nothing compared to the struggles that BC had in 4A, though, was it? What were those records? I think the second-best record since the 70s was like 5-5, wasn't it?
Old Card, people on this board are right about you.

Bridge City was probably one of the smallest 4A schools in the state in no doubt one of the toughest districts. Sure they had struggles playing teams that were almost twice their size. Besides lumberton and LCM, they pretty much took it on the chin in the 80's and 90's.
WOS before it was merged had the same problems and Bridge City used to stomp them as well when they were just West Orange. I believe WO-S was a culmination of 3 schools merged into one. They orginally started out as a 5A and then declining numbers they became one of the largest 4A's. The enrollment numbers as people started leaving has finally dropped them into the 3A's. The enrollment is starting to show now they that they don't have the once huge classes to choose from. Bridge City while in the 3A classification, which back in the day was the equivalant of the present 4A's now, won a state championship and also went the finals the year before. They have done well since dropping to the 3A's for the past 5 years and even made it to the state semi's. Of course, WOS throughout it's history has been a great program. It really is one of the most successful programs out there. However, just because someone else has a little success doesn't mean you have to downplay their accomplishments as well.

Paratrooper
10-31-2005, 12:43 PM

I wasn't at the game, but does anyone know why you stated that it was a fluke loss. The score was 30-28 wasn't it? Is there someone who watched that game last year that can tell me why it was a fluke. Seems like an upset, but not sure why WOS is calling it a fluke.

Old Cardinal
10-31-2005, 12:53 PM
Past Past Past-- WO-S had not done doodley-squat in getting to playoffs in years.
I will challenge WO-S to do as good as BC has done in 3A --1st year--2 rounds, 2nd year final four-- another year(Played and lost to Jasper for the regional crown) and only once did not make the playoffs.
Well WO-S lost to Huffman to start off--see if you can make as good a record as BC has done since entering 3A!

JR2004
10-31-2005, 12:55 PM
Wow you sure are arrogant Old Cardinal. I hope you aren't the prevailing voice for all the people down your way. :rolleyes:

3afan
10-31-2005, 12:57 PM
you guys ARE entertaining ... in a wierd sort of way.

chaingang
10-31-2005, 01:34 PM
I think it is too close to call. Here is the #1 Division I 3A team being challenged within their own District-that is good enough for me.
It was interesting once WO-S began to plunge from that high 4A enrollment you were not so hot!
You don't want 3A DL folks to know but you did not even make the playoffs regularly for a number of the latter years in 4A.
The last good team I thought was newsworthy was the one that lost to Ennis in the finals and that was quite sometime back.
Your team this year is the best team you have fielded in many many years. You should be picked to win this game and even state.
If you lose your always arrogant fans will disappear just like they did after the Huffman whipping last year.

Well, some of us may be arrogant, but atleast we dont exploit and fabricate storys about your unbelievable and unbeatable BC cardinals. As soon as you find a smigion of info on BC you try to exaggerate and make it more exciting than it really is. Face it, as much as you tell yourself that BC is better, it is NOT TRUE!!!!!

wos fan1
10-31-2005, 01:48 PM
Yes it was a fluke. We had so much more speed and skill people than Huffman it wasn't funny. We had 4 turnovers and Beasley had a concussion 2 days before and we still had that game won.

WOS92
10-31-2005, 02:09 PM
Old Card, you jab us for talking about the past (which we didn't) and then you go on and on about the past. How did your beloved Cards do last year? Who was their second round opponent?

Hey, here's a question: How many times did BC make the playoffs when they were in the district that WO-S just left? How many times did WO-S end up in the postseason? BC was the district's left-handed red-headed stepchild for decades. The fact that it turned into a nine-team district that left WO-S on the losing end of a tiebreaker for the playoffs is what kept us home. How many times did BC go 8-2 in 4A, which we were two of the three years we missed the playoffs?

WOSgrad
10-31-2005, 02:10 PM

Okay, you made your pick. You could have stopped there. But no, you decided to take this even farther!

[/B]

Now how does this pertain to the question that XMan asked you which was simply to get your pick for the game?

But since you brought it up. Yes, the last 3 years that WO-S was in 4A, we didn't make the playoffs. Our record in 2001 was 5-5, 3-2 in district, in 2002 - 8-2, 6-2 in district, in 2003 - 8-2, 6-2 in district. Yeah, we weren't a playoff team, but I don't think that 8-2 the last two years can be labeled "not so hot."

Actually, you wanna see not so hot? Let's look at BC's numbers their last 3 years in 4A, 1997, 1998 and 1999. 1997 - 2-8, 2-5 in district, 1998- 6-4, 3-4 in district, 1999, 1-9, 0-7 in district. Now THAT is not so hot!!!

If you lose your always arrogant fans will disappear just like they did after the Huffman whipping last year. [/B]

Yes, we stumbled last year against a Huffman team that did best what we couldn't stop, line five big hosses along the front line and run it up the middle.

I tell you what. If y'all go one and out (remember WO-S wasn't the only 24-3A team to lose it's first round game) will you disappear as well?

Hupernikomen
10-31-2005, 02:34 PM
Yes it was a fluke. We had so much more speed and skill people than Huffman it wasn't funny. We had 4 turnovers and Beasley had a concussion 2 days before and we still had that game won.

It is WO-S inability to admit that someone might be better than them that causes all the flak you guys get on here. Huffman pounded the ball down the throat of a Thompson led defense. It was no fluke. They used their weapons and beat your tail..

3afan
10-31-2005, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by WOSgrad
.... the last 3 years that WO-S was in 4A, we didn't make the playoffs. Our record in 2001 was 5-5, 3-2 in district, in 2002 - 8-2, 6-2 in district, in 2003 - 8-2, 6-2 in district. .......................BC's numbers their last 3 years in 4A, 1997, 1998 and 1999. 1997 - 2-8, 2-5 in district, 1998- 6-4, 3-4 in district, 1999, 1-9, 0-7 in district.

interesting ....................

wos fan1
10-31-2005, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
It is WO-S inability to admit that someone might be better than them that causes all the flak you guys get on here. Huffman pounded the ball down the throat of a Thompson led defense. It was no fluke. They used their weapons and beat your tail.. Coach Thompson was only here a month before last season started (I've said this several times). This season is his first after a full offseason.

etbu
10-31-2005, 03:16 PM
[Peace love and joy to all

WOS1
10-31-2005, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
It is WO-S inability to admit that someone might be better than them that causes all the flak you guys get on here. Huffman pounded the ball down the throat of a Thompson led defense. It was no fluke. They used their weapons and beat your tail..

It's not "WO-S inability" it's WF1's inability. I've tried to stop those remarks several times but it falls on deaf ears. I've also said many times that Huffman came in and did what they had to do to win that game. They played well and didn't turn the ball over, we did. When you turn the ball over you get beat. I think saying it was a fluke does nothing but belittle a good win by Huffman. I played at WO-S like many posting here did, it hurts when your team goes down, especially when you were expecting so much more. But, you also have to be realistic and admit when you just weren't as good as you'd hoped. I really feel like we SHOULD have won that game without the mistakes, but we didn't. I also think that, had we won, Palestine would have sent us packing in the next round, turnovers or not. That group of kids just never were that talented, they had a lot of heart, just not enough talent.

wostexan
10-31-2005, 06:42 PM
Totally agree with you WOS1. We lost. It was no "fluke" as WOSFAN1 put it. They made the plays and we didn't. But that was last year, hopefully this year we will get a chance to play Huffman again.

GS#17
10-31-2005, 06:52 PM
It is WO-S inability to admit that someone might be better than them that causes all the flak you guys get on here.

Wait a second... I've never ever said it was a "fluke" that we lost to Huffman. As a matter of fact, I refuted that statement on the WOS board, I was one of the first WOS fans on this board (if not the first WOS fan) to congratulate Huffman on their win, and I went to their website and congratulated them on their win hours after they beat WOS last year. Rather than saying "the flak we get here" is caused by a universal inability to admit something, perhaps it's other people's inability to attack statements individually that cause them to feel they have to generalize all WOS fans into one category...

etbu
10-31-2005, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by wostexan
Totally agree with you WOS1. We lost. It was no "fluke" as WOSFAN1 put it. They made the plays and we didn't. But that was last year, hopefully this year we will get a chance to play Huffman again.
I really hope you do to. :clap:

etbu
10-31-2005, 07:07 PM
[My bad

etbu
10-31-2005, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by GS#17
Wait a second... I've never ever said it was a "fluke" that we lost to Huffman. As a matter of fact, I refuted that statement on the WOS board, I was one of the first WOS fans on this board (if not the first WOS fan) to congratulate Huffman on their win, and I went to their website and congratulated them on their win hours after they beat WOS last year. Rather than saying "the flak we get here" is caused by a universal inability to admit something, perhaps it's other people's inability to attack statements individually that cause them to feel they have to generalize all WOS fans into one category...

Wos17 not to worry but i like that wrap around. LOL You are loosing us guys on the shores of the Bayou with them big words. LOL

etbu
10-31-2005, 07:09 PM

Wos17 not to worry but i like that wrap around. LOL You are loosing us guys on the shores of the Bayou with them big words. LOL

j_dog
10-31-2005, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by WOS1
It's not "WO-S inability" it's WF1's inability. ......
I think maybe I had noticed that... :) But folks are so quick to paint everybody with the same tar brush if there is just one outspoken fan. Jasper has had its share of the fans who did not want to admit things. But I think we are learning it is much easier to fly a bit below the radar. That is why we joke so much. :D

But enough about low enrollments being an excuse for losing. Tell that to the Newtons, Marlins, and WO-S among others. And Jasper made it to the 4a QF the year before dropping to 3a.

Hupernikomen
10-31-2005, 07:30 PM

Touche...we all have our fans who make the rest of us look like braggards and sore losers don't we!

GS#17
10-31-2005, 07:39 PM
Yes, and I think the important thing is to stay open-minded. Some people are able to do that and respond in kind, others are not.

etbu
10-31-2005, 09:06 PM
Yes, and I think the important thing is to stay open-minded. Some people are able to do that and respond in kind, others are not.

GS-17 That is in fact possible for some and NOT for others. Gs-17 how is the swing?

GS#17
10-31-2005, 09:23 PM
That is very true...

Actually, I went golfing the other day with some coworkers at Bayou Din here in Beaumont. Didn't do too bad by my standards -- only one drive matched the famous Eagle Pointe shank! :)

wos fan1
10-31-2005, 09:34 PM
The point was i had someone piss me off by saying "What happened to Coach Thompson's Defense last year against Huffman. I told them he had only been there 1 month before last season started. Hell give him time. I know SEVERAL wos posters that felt the same damn way just didn't say it on the board!!!!!!:foul: :foul:

Paratrooper
10-31-2005, 09:42 PM
The point was i had someone piss me off by saying "What happened to Coach Thompson's Defense last year against Huffman. I told them he had only been there 1 month before last season started. Hell give him time. I know SEVERAL wos posters that felt the same damn way just didn't say it on the board!!!!!!:foul: :foul:

Don't know if they still have BNH over there, but if they do it might help:D :D :eek:

etbu
10-31-2005, 09:43 PM
That is very true...

Actually, I went golfing the other day with some coworkers at Bayou Din here in Beaumont. Didn't do too bad by my standards -- only one drive matched the famous Eagle Pointe shank! :)

I'm ready when you and 22 are. Maybe Gas can join us. :D

X Man
10-31-2005, 11:59 PM
Old card, It is interesting that I simply asked your prediction for the game, and you go into talking about the past. And although I am sure you know that WOS had the winningest record in state 4a, and a spotless record against Bridge City, you continue to make untrue statements, or exaggerate the facts, like saying it has been "years since you had a good team" Going 8-2, 2 years in a row, in Dave Campbell's stated toughest 4A district in state, and only staying out of the playoffs due to a screwy tie breaker system, is not what I consider a bad team performance. Just to remind you, I am putting the WOS - BC record down here.

WOS leads the series 15-0

1986 - 28-7
1987 - 35-0
1988 - 20-0
1989 - 57-7
1990 - 65-15
1991 - 42-14
1992 - 54-7
1993 - 31-14
1994 - 48-7
1995 - 48-0
1996 - 24-21
1997 - 60-7
1998 - 27-6
1999 - 35-0
2004 - 27-21 (OT)

Total Score: WOS 601, BC 126
Average Score: WOS 40.1, BC 8.4

Yeah BC has a good record this year, but you have not played the preseason teams that WOS has played. I predict a tough game, with WOS winning.

Someone pinch Old Fart and wake him up.

Paratrooper
11-01-2005, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by X Man

WOS leads the series 15-0

1986 - 28-7
1987 - 35-0
1988 - 20-0
1989 - 57-7
1990 - 65-15
1991 - 42-14
1992 - 54-7
1993 - 31-14
1994 - 48-7
1995 - 48-0
1996 - 24-21
1997 - 60-7
1998 - 27-6
1999 - 35-0
2004 - 27-21 (OT)

Total Score: WOS 601, BC 126
Average Score: WOS 40.1, BC 8.4

Yeah BC has a good record this year, but you have not played the preseason teams that WOS has played. I predict a tough game, with WOS winning.

Someone pinch Old Fart and wake him up.

Man you guys are going to hold on to this thing as long as you can......lol.:D :D

3afan
11-01-2005, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by X Man
.... Old Fart ...

X Man - not cool :rolleyes:

spiveyrat
11-01-2005, 08:31 AM
The Huffman win last year may not have been a fluke, they fielded a tough team. Flukes do happen, though. Look at last year's Jasper/Kirbyville game. :D

Old Cardinal
11-01-2005, 11:25 AM
I am starting to get overwhelmed about the wonderful record of 4A football. You merged schools and played 5A and then 4A extra high enrollment for years. All the schools in that 4A were high enrollment compared to BC which was one of the lowest enrollments in 4A in the state; caught in an unusual high enrollment district.
How about today, can WO-S match BCs record in 3A(2000 on) in the next 5 years are so....We will see?
BC has had a good 3A record see if WO-S can even come close to matching their(2000-Present) performance.
Your fantasy that you are living of the 1990s gets old hearing it.
Here is some THERAPY to practice:
Example: " Bridge City lost to Barbers Hill in the playoffs because BH had the better team."
Now you can try it also, "WO-S is not playing in the 1990s and Huffman beat us in Bi-District because they had the better team."
It is hard I know but it is a start....

3afan
11-01-2005, 11:27 AM
i'm confused .... :confused:

WOSgrad
11-01-2005, 11:27 AM
Well, as you can see there has been disagreements amongst the WOS posters as to whether the bi-district loss was a "fluke."

Me and my friend and fellow WOS alum wos fan 1 have had this conversation since the Saturday after in pms and posts on various sites. It has been almost a year since that game and we haven't come to a consensus and probably won't when we are both old and gray.

Was the Huffman loss a fluke? No. Heck, I'd go as far to say that while the result may have been unexpected, it shouldn't have been a complete surprise, either.

This is why. For some reason, the WOS run defense, for many years its calling card, completely disappeared in 2004. From Week O when Jaspers' Gilbert Moye ran up and down Mustang Stadium like a kid in his own front yard, we could not stop anyone with a decent running attack last year.

Well, guess what Huffman did best? They lined up 3 300 pounders and 2 "little" 275 pounders, and cut loose behind them one rough running son of a gun by the name of Cory Elliott and commenced to bashing in the Mustang front seven.

Even with that and a quarterback, who was a quality kid but simply not a quarterback, who committed some costly turnovers, WO-S held a 28-27 lead with 2:00 left in the game and Huffman had the ball on their own 20.

Now in years past, if you expected to gain approximately 60 yards, which is what Huffman needed to get Raul Ponce in position to kick a FG, in 2 minutes without a consistent passing game against the Mustangs, you might as well hit the showers.
Huffman didn't have a consistent passing game.

And on this night, they didn't need one. I don't believe that Huffman threw one pass in that final drive yet drove easily into field goal range and made it. Huffman went on....we went home.

Now, would we have beaten Huffman if the game had been played on a Thursday or Saturday? Even the Huffman faithful will probably say that WO-S had a better than average shot . However, on that Friday night last November, the Reliant Astrodome scoreboard read: "Falcons 30 Mustangs 28."

And like Jim Rome says, Scoreboard wins out over all other arguments.

WOS92
11-01-2005, 11:58 AM
Old Card: In BC's final years in 4A, WO-S was the second smallest school in the district. In 2000, with TINY 4A numbers, we went 15-1 and lost in the title game vs. Ennis. Stop making these weenie little excuses. Newton was a small 3A when they won it all. Numbers count, but they don't mean THAT much - not for decades and decades of terrible football. They may have turned it around in 3A, but let's not make excuses - they were BAD for a LONG time, regardless of numbers. About living in the past: Our winning percentage in the 2000s is actually HIGHER than in the 80s and 90s. Our winning percentage from 2000-present is 79.6%. Most of that is against 4A district competition. Round up if you'd like.

HighSchool Fan
11-01-2005, 12:04 PM
look what i found, a pic of Old Card stirring his pot of crap

http://d21c.com/walpurgis9/halloween/witchfiles/part3/001.gif

j_dog
11-01-2005, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
The Huffman win last year may not have been a fluke, they fielded a tough team. Flukes do happen, though. Look at last year's Jasper/Kirbyville game. :D
Yeah, but we corrected that this year! :D

spiveyrat
11-01-2005, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by j_dog
Yeah, but we corrected that this year! :D

52-27 :D :D :D :clap: :clap: :clap:

kosmo
11-01-2005, 04:53 PM
This thread would probably be a better read if we didn't have Old Card, WOSfan1, and WOS 92 in a pissing match for the better part of the posts. Who cares if it was a "fluke win", even though there is no such thing. A win is a win no matter who beats who. Who cares what happened in the past and in what district it is in. None of the players from those years will be able to field a punt or make a tackle. Ya'll sound like you're fighting about the days of yore when you were a backup deep snapper on varsity. Let's just stick to this years game, if that's allright with everyone else.