PDA

View Full Version : I thought this was a timely look at the aftermath of RITA

Old Cardinal
10-30-2005, 09:09 PM
Rita Coverage

This was written by the principal at Central Middle School, Nederland, Texas.

We should be proud of our community...

Dear Editor,
Due to the dislocation caused by Rita, I did not receive the 10/3 and 10/10 issues of U.S. News & World Report until 10/18. The 10/3 issue's cover had a picture of Rita churning northward over the Gulf of Mexico with the title "Double Whammy". I looked forward to reading an outsider's viewpoint about the response of southeast Texas and southwest Louisiana to the storm.

But there was not a word about us. The picture leading the article showed a broken levee in New Orleans. The article did not even mention the towns that suffered a direct hit from this category 3 storm. No mention was made about the timely evacuation orders given before the Saturday landfall. Not a word was printed about the massive airlift from the airport Thursday night. No praise was heaped on the local officials who put their emergency vehicles on ships in the Port of Beaumont to ride out the fury and who worked their oft-reviewed disaster plans to the benefit of the residents. Not a single picture from Cameron, Holly Beach, or Sabine Pass after the storm surge devastated their seashore communities or of the fleets of school buses taking people to shelters. There was not even an acknowledgement of the evacuation's casualties in the bus fire south of Dallas or in the asphyxiations in a Beaumont apartment. Everything in the magazine was about Katrina.

I don't begrudge the victims of Katrina their media time. Many mistakes were made there and the lack of coordination among the governments and emergency response teams should be explored and corrected. But when the storm hit HERE, our leaders, responders and residents did what they were supposed to do. That deserves at least a passing note from the national media. I've yet to see it. We'll have to wait for a local publisher to tell the complete story of Rita.

KLVI-AM continued broadcasting from Beaumont throughout the storm. One of the many comments and stories I heard on that station was from a power company worker who came to this area from New Orleans. That worker said when his crew arrived in the Rita disaster area, the residents had already begun clearing debris with their chain saws, no one here stole their equipment, no one here pulled a knife on them, and no one in Louisiana offered them water or food. I guess that explains why the national media doesn't find us newsworthy. If that's the case, then the self-reliant survivors of Rita will wear that badge with honor.

Paratrooper
10-30-2005, 09:33 PM
Mississippi got horribly tore up over there, but you didn't hear about them shooting at people trying to help them. SE Texas didn't break out the guns either shooting at people. There wasn't massive looting going on. Policeman were not walking off the job and looting themselves.

Ya'll had a "boring" (I say factiously) hurricane. You didn't act a fool and that just doesn't sell news.

X Man
10-30-2005, 10:34 PM
Yeah, and from the media, Beaumont was devistated, but from what I have seen, Beaumont was barely touched compared to Orange. I also have been told how Nederland/Port Neches took hits. Anyway, the media did a poor job of covering the really hard hit areas of Rita.