PDA

View Full Version : Region I Game of the Week (10): Midland Greenwood @ Monahans

LH Panther Mom
10-30-2005, 10:20 AM
District 3 - the Rangers will be in Monahans taking on the Lobos for hopefully a share of the district title.

Normally, I'd do this differently, but in this case, I don't think it can be said better than:

Originally posted by GWOOD
In the points system you count the number of points you win by or lose by. The maximum is 14 points. If you win by 7 you get +7 points. If you lose by 7 you get -7 points. If you win by 32, you only get +14 points or -14 points if you lose by 32.

So here is the 3-3A points scenario

Seminole 40, Greenwood 39
Seminole gets +1 point for their 1 point win, Greenwood gets -1 points

Monahans 62 Seminole 13
Monahans gets +14 points for their 49 points win because 14 is the maximum you can get or lose. Seminole gets -14 for their 49 point loss.

At present the points tiebreaker looks like this:

Monahans +14
Greenwood -1
Seminole -13 (sum of +1 for Greenwood win and -14 for Monahans loss)

For Greenwood to be the #1 seed, they have to beat Monahans by 8 points. Let's say Greenwood wins 21-13. They get +8 points and Monahans gets -8 points. Then the points tiebreaker looks like this:

Greenwood +7 (-1 for Seminole loss; +8 for monahans win)
Monahans +6 (+14 for Seminole win; -8 for Greenwood loss)
Seminole -13

OK, it's pretty complicated.
Everyone got that? Thanks, GWOOD.

Thoughts? Predictions?

44INAROW
10-30-2005, 10:26 AM
GO RANGERS :)

ThE_OnE_lObOe
10-30-2005, 10:52 AM
Should be an awesome game to watch and be a part of but i'm not sure if the rangers can stop monahans' rushin attack without opening up their fickle passing attack, sam graves is a warrior that won't quit but they can't just key him because roberson, collins, alford, are weapons as well

Ranger Mom
10-30-2005, 11:17 AM
I don't usually vote, but I had to vote for Greenwood this time....for no other reason than I'm a big time HOMER!!:D

justlikesports
10-30-2005, 11:24 AM
This is gonna be A GAME! The rivalry is intense and the bragging rights for this season are on the line. Holy Moly!!!!! Gonna be a long week waiting for Friday to roll around. Both teams will be ready. Of course I will be pulling for the Loboes, my main hope will be for an injury free game. As always, GO LOBOES!

eagles_victory
10-30-2005, 11:25 AM
I hope Greenwood wins. :D

Ranger Mom
10-30-2005, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
I hope Greenwood wins. :D

ROFL!!

Why the change of heart?;)

sweetwater07
10-30-2005, 11:41 AM
see the loser first round....so good luck to both teams!!!

eagles_victory
10-30-2005, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
ROFL!!

Why the change of heart?;)

I guess I am a fan of Greenwoods student training staff.:thinking:

Ranger05
10-30-2005, 12:21 PM
i voted too close to call im not completely sure who is gonna win

ML05
10-30-2005, 01:24 PM
I'm a big time HOMER!!:D
Homers unite! Go *MONAHANS*! :)
I'm predicting it to be a pretty competitive game, but I picked Monahans to pull off a win.

lobo12
10-30-2005, 01:25 PM
i think monahans wins by 3td's, is there no way that snyder will be the first seed and sweetwater second seed since snyder beat wylie???

Ranger Mom
10-30-2005, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by lobo12
i think monahans wins by 3td's, is there no way that snyder will be the first seed and sweetwater second seed since snyder beat wylie???

Since Wylie goes D1....does the first and second seed of DII just go by those two teams games against each other?? Or does that "oh so confusing" point system come into play?

LH Panther Mom
10-30-2005, 01:40 PM
Since Wylie goes D1....does the first and second seed of DII just go by those two teams games against each other?? Or does that "oh so confusing" point system come into play?

Doesn't Wylie have to beat Clyde first? It should happen, but not a given. :thinking:

trenchdweller
10-30-2005, 04:08 PM
who will be the big school rep in the district

GWOOD
10-30-2005, 05:08 PM

When there is a 3-way tie you think it would be simpler to pick the D1 team and then do head-to-head with the two D2 teams to pick the #1 seed and #2 seed.

That would be too easy, I guess.

When there is a three way tie and the tie is not broken by head to head competition, then the complicated points system goes into effect for all three teams. From that, the #1 and #2 seed for D2 is determined.

Da Mules
10-30-2005, 08:51 PM
Rangers have lots of heart, and are my favorite of the two...
but my head says Monahans runs all over em. Lobos by 21

Ranger Mom
10-30-2005, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Da Mules
Rangers have lots of heart, and are my favorite of the two...
but my head says Monahans runs all over em. Lobos by 21

Awwww....well that's SOME consolation anyway!!:)

Buffalo
10-31-2005, 12:53 AM
This is not an opinon just what I have read.
It goes to points. YOu still have to count Wylie as the big school as long as they beat Clyde. If Clyde Wins then Snyder goes Big School and Clyde and Sweetwater would go D 2. Unless Sweetwater also lost to Merkel then you would have to go to points between Wylie, Clyde & Sweetwater. Both would finish with 2-2 records.

If Sweetwater and Wylie both win then it goes to points. Sweetwater is +11 over Snyder & -13 to Wylie which goes -2. Snyder is -11 to Sweetwater and +3 TO Wylie which goes to -8. So Sweetwater is the number 1 seed in that scenario. All 3 would finish with 3-1 records. Hope this clears the water or it might just cloud it huh

sweetwater07
10-31-2005, 07:53 AM
I think that its gonna be closer than most think....Monahans hasn't played anyone of caliber and greenwood has....the rivalry is intense and greenwood will be ready to play!!......most of the lobos stats are form little rinky dinky 3A teams in far west texas so don't underestimate the rangers!!!!! GOOD LUCK both teams!!

chugbug
10-31-2005, 10:17 AM
Swami looked into his crystal ball and told me that Monahans was going to kick the dog s23t out of Greenwood. Go Lobos.:eek: :eek: :tongue: :smoker: :smoker: :smoker:

SnyderMom
10-31-2005, 11:54 AM
Let's gooooo G'wood...I wanna meet Ranger mom in Midland for the first round!!.

DaHop72
10-31-2005, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by SnyderMom
Let's gooooo G'wood...I wanna meet Ranger mom in Midland for the first round!!.
Me too, me too!!!:clap: :clap:

keenoace
10-31-2005, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by GWOOD
When there is a 3-way tie you think it would be simpler to pick the D1 team and then do head-to-head with the two D2 teams to pick the #1 seed and #2 seed.

That would be too easy, I guess.

When there is a three way tie and the tie is not broken by head to head competition, then the complicated points system goes into effect for all three teams. From that, the #1 and #2 seed for D2 is determined.

Wylie has to beat Clyde first to go DI. If not Snyder goes DI. Correct me if I am wrong.

Black_Magic
10-31-2005, 01:42 PM
Your right. Wylie Must beat Clyde to get in. If not Snyder will be DI. I dont think Clyde can do it but you never know.

As far as Monahans vs Greenwood. I believe it will be a toss up.. Advantage going to Monahans for home field but thats it. Greenwood gets the nod as to toughest schedule of the two by far...

trenchdweller
10-31-2005, 02:15 PM
who is d1 in greenwoods district

BMOC
10-31-2005, 02:28 PM
Could be the most exciting game of the week. Gotta check this one out. Good luck Rangers.

GWOOD
10-31-2005, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by trenchdweller
who is d1 in greenwoods district

Seminole

WTF-82
10-31-2005, 03:45 PM
Come on Sweetwater man dont tell me yall have had tougher than anyone around tougher than Monahans yall played 2 games this year Wylie and Snyder 1-1 your schedule is not any tougher
Not saying Monahans has had it tougher but dont give me this about a rinky dinky 3-a.

WTF-82
10-31-2005, 03:51 PM
I think Monahans vs Greenwood will be a great one I can not wait
to see it. Hitting battle 4-3a come on down to lobo land so you can see a hitting war our little district is not so down as you mighty warriors from 4-3a think at least Greenwood and Monahans trust me Greenwood is a lot better than how they played in the pre-season they are a program like Monahans come district the game changes.

WTF-82
10-31-2005, 03:57 PM
My pick is

MONAHANS 28
GREENWOOD 14

Loboes have a lot of balance backfield, receivers,QB,great line, special teams is great lots of speed return teams.
Defense is playing well. There is a lot of balance mot important they have a Charlie Weiss type play caller dont count the loboes out whoever they play Greenwood, Snyder, Sweetwater they will be ready.

lobo12
10-31-2005, 05:21 PM
hate to say it but sweetwater has played alot tougher schedule than monahans, i mean the only team monahans has played that was good was midland christian and they werent great this year, but the loboes still blow everybody out by half and they are still playing 3a varsity teams, i think they beat greenwood easily and then snyder too.....GO LOBOES

Da Mules
10-31-2005, 08:37 PM
Awwww....well that's SOME consolation anyway!!

I'm sorry RM. I've been a fan of the Rangers since 2000 (except when they played da Mules) when that real young team made a run to the R1 finals. Maybe they can untrack Monahans... I know they'll give it all they have :clap: :clap:

Black_Magic
11-01-2005, 02:43 PM
Greenwood by 3 . Greenwood is hardened by a tough schedule. we wills see how monahans does against a really good team. Its the first one they have played this year.

zeus63
11-01-2005, 02:58 PM
What has been so tough about Greenwood's schedule aside from Snyder, Sweetwater, and Wylie. I don't really consider Ballinger, Ft. Stockton, Pecos, Lamesa, or Andrews major threats. They had a good game where they lost to Seminole by a point after they were up by 21. If you go by that then Greenwood is already outmatched due to Monahans defeating Seminole 62-13. I'm not downing on Greenwood because I have ssem them play and they are pretty good, but the boys in green do deserve a little bit more respect than what has been given them.

WitchyWoman
11-01-2005, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
Me too, me too!!!:clap: :clap:

My pick is G'wood by 3

Hey Ranger Mom hope you'll do the same for me this Friday nite and keep me updated with the end of quarter scores, if you don't have my digits on your cell then IM me and I'll get em for ya...

Go Greenwood......... ;)

vet93
11-01-2005, 07:08 PM
A couple of things: I am a greenwood supporter because of family ties, RM and some of the other Greenwood posters....therefore, I don't have a negative bias towards the Rangers. They actually demolished my Bearcats....so I would naturally want Greenwood to win because it would make Ballinger look better. Having said all of that...I think that Coach Owens is one of the best coaches in West Texas and that he has an outstanding staff. Along with that he has a great deal of talent and depth to work with. One thing that I know about Mickey...he is a class guy and won't intentionally run up the score. Therefore many of those blowouts could have been worse if someone else had been coaching. He also plays a conservative, ball control game which usually doesn't give you blowouts. I agree that they have not played a top shelf schedule, but I think that this team has the potential to be one of the best teams in West Texas and that will become apparent in the playoffs. I think that Monahans will win this game by 2 to 3 touchdowns and will go on to give whoever they play in bidistrict a run for their money. Don't be surprised at all if it is Monahans that upsets the 3-3a team and ends up playing with the big boys in December. Just my opinion.....I have been known to be wrong once or twice:)

GWOOD
11-01-2005, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by zeus63
What has been so tough about Greenwood's schedule aside from Snyder, Sweetwater, and Wylie. I don't really consider Ballinger, Ft. Stockton, Pecos, Lamesa, or Andrews major threats.

This schedule of Greenwood is more on reputation than reality this year. It was just two years ago that all of our non-district teams made the playoffs in 3A and/or 4A.

However, games with three top 10 teams out of 9 games is pretty big...regardless of how easy the other teams might be. Anybody else in 3A can say they have played three top 10 teams so far this season? If there is more, I bet you can count them on one hand.

And there is no comparison to toughness of schedules between Greenwood and Monahans. That helps Greenwood in the long run but certainly doesn't guarantee a win over this strong Loboes team.

I hoping our guys can hang with them until the end and eke out a victory.

keenoace
11-01-2005, 07:43 PM
I say G'Wood by 14. They have been beat up by district 4-3a and I believe they are battle prepared for this game. Monahans is no Snyder, Sweetwater, opr Wylie. Good Luck Rangers.

Black & Gold
11-01-2005, 08:24 PM
I would like to see Greenwood pull this one out but from people I have talked to, they say that Monahans is the real deal. Good luck to both teams and we will see one of you soon.

PlayaJBiehl20
11-01-2005, 10:20 PM
For the second week in a row,Monahans.

Ranger05
11-01-2005, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by keenoace
I say G'Wood by 14. They have been beat up by district 4-3a and I believe they are battle prepared for this game. Monahans is no Snyder, Sweetwater, opr Wylie. Good Luck Rangers. i would honestly watch out for the loboes i hope the rangers can pull out the W this friday but there gonna have to play a great football game to do this. Im gonna call it right now the loboes will go atleast 3 rounds.

GreenMonster
11-01-2005, 10:52 PM
Greenwood all the way.

donjuan
11-02-2005, 11:08 AM
something has to give with two teams that run the ball very good. the difference in this game is defense. Monahans has one of the best defenses I have seen in the last twenty years and Greenwood does not. that will be the deciding factor.

sweetwater07
11-02-2005, 01:18 PM
hate to say it but sweetwater has played alot tougher schedule than monahans, i mean the only team monahans has played that was good was midland christian and they werent great this year, but the loboes still blow everybody out by half and they are still playing 3a varsity teams, i think they beat greenwood easily and then snyder too.....GO LOBOES

as much as it hurts me to say it i think yall will beat snyder assuming that yall win against greenwood......but yes yall haven't played a good team all year so this one will be closer than most think!!!

lobo12
11-02-2005, 02:08 PM
you cant judge how good monahans defense is purly because they have not faced a challenge yet....i think their defense is the weak part of the team.....i still say monahans wins this one easily by 3td's plus, i may be wrong though i guess we will see friday night

zeus63
11-02-2005, 02:29 PM
Everyone has their opinion about every team. I can't remeber who said it (it was a few days ago you realize) anything can happen on any given Friday night. Just an example, I don't think anyone really exepected the Tigers to beat Wylie, but they did. You can't judge a team by the opponents that they have played previous. Another example, Greenwood plays Snyder to a seven point game, then loses to Seminole. Seminole turns around and loses to Monahans 62-13. All I am saying is, you can't count anyone out until it is over.

Ranger Mom
11-02-2005, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by zeus63
Everyone has their opinion about every team. I can't remeber who said it (it was a few days ago you realize) anything can happen on any given Friday night. Just an example, I don't think anyone really exepected the Tigers to beat Wylie, but they did. You can't judge a team by the opponents that they have played previous. Another example, Greenwood plays Snyder to a seven point game, then loses to Seminole. Seminole turns around and loses to Monahans 62-13. All I am saying is, you can't count anyone out until it is over.

I agree, especially when it's a rival game like this one!

SnyderMom
11-02-2005, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by sweetwater07
as much as it hurts me to say it i think yall will beat snyder assuming that yall win against greenwood......but yes yall haven't played a good team all year so this one will be closer than most think!!!

Dude how can you be certain they will beat Snyder and you HOPE that they beat G'wood...c'mon...you are a piece of work.

WitchyWoman
11-02-2005, 02:45 PM
Dude how can you be certain they will beat Snyder and you HOPE that they beat G'wood...c'mon...you are a piece of work.

Weeeeellllll he's a piece of something but I'm not sure it's WORK...
:thinking: :confused: :thinking:

WTF-82
11-02-2005, 03:53 PM
Sounds like everyone but lobo fans are on the rAngers wagon
good Loboes like that we like that role we have shocked everyone we have played and will do that until DECEMBER.

SnyderMom
11-02-2005, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by ***-82
good Loboes like that we like that role we have shocked everyone we have played and will do that until DECEMBER.

HAHAH ROFLMAO :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: you're funny...

lobo12
11-02-2005, 04:22 PM
i dont know bout december, i sure do hope so but it hurts them not having the starters play but maybe one complete game

WTF-82
11-02-2005, 04:27 PM
you are right lobo 12 but remember great conditioning health is the key I think this will help us be to our advantage look sweetwater they are struggling to stay healthy. Lets just hope this it to our advantage. I think the Loboes can do it

GWOOD
11-02-2005, 04:39 PM

Those on the "Rangers Wagon" may be speaking up but as of right now those who are voting are choosing Monahans 30-14. I don't know how you play a "We don't get any respect" card when 67% of those who are voicing an opinion are picking Monahans. While it has been slow to come, Monahans is starting to get a lot of recognition.

WTF-82
11-02-2005, 04:45 PM
Right I like youre point

Ranger Mom
11-02-2005, 04:48 PM

How can you say that? Look at the vote! We even have an ex Greenwood player saying while he hopes we win, the odds are against us!

I have lots of friends on here who may be voicing their opinion just to throw their support my way!

BTW....thanks guys!!:p :p

WTF-82
11-02-2005, 04:48 PM
I dont see anything funny I saw Snyder play 4 times this year
good team but not as great as you may think good things have
happened to Snyder or they would have 2 or maybe 3 losses. But I will say job well done Snyder it is all about the W and yall got them but this week for the Loboes its all about the rangers.

WTF-82
11-02-2005, 04:53 PM
very good ranger mom. I was just saying people outside of lobo or ranger land people like Greenwood and that is good I like it when people support teams from our District. I like Greenwood myself during playoff time if they are in I support them

Ranger05
11-02-2005, 05:45 PM
very good ranger mom. I was just saying people outside of lobo or ranger land people like Greenwood and that is good I like it when people support teams from our District. I like Greenwood myself during playoff time if they are in I support them im the same way with monahans

WitchyWoman
11-02-2005, 05:45 PM
Well I haven't seen the Lobos play but hear they are doing some great things. Greenwood is like our family in a way cause we play them in all sports year round so it's just a thing as far as hoping they win... their like our Stepfamily lol, and ya gotta go with the Lafamilia right?

DukeNukem
11-02-2005, 07:31 PM
HAHAH ROFLMAO :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: you're funny...

just keep laughing. i usually do not talk any smack, but we will see who is laughing in a couple of weeks. the loboes may lose just as easily, but i pick them to beat snyder by 2, no make that 3 tds. you heard it here first. my pick for the greenwood game is 38-13 with greenwood getting the last td of the game to at least get into double digits.

lobo12
11-03-2005, 01:31 AM
i heard one of the district 3 vs 4 d2 games was gonna be at like 5:45 on friday afternoon, anyone know if there is any truth to this, i know sometimes all coaches get together to agree on time and dates prior to the outcomes in order to secure a good stadium but it may all just be nonsense

Ranger Mom
11-03-2005, 09:31 AM
i heard one of the district 3 vs 4 d2 games was gonna be at like 5:45 on friday afternoon, anyone know if there is any truth to this, i know sometimes all coaches get together to agree on time and dates prior to the outcomes in order to secure a good stadium but it may all just be nonsense

At our booster club meeting the coaches said there would be 2 games played on Friday! I don't know who who is playing, but I would think that Snyder vs. whoever would be one of them.

keenoace
11-03-2005, 10:41 AM

yes the game will be played at Grande @5:30 c-ya there.
Go Tigers.

keenoace
11-03-2005, 10:42 AM
I hear that sweetwater would be playing the next game after Snyder and whomever game next Friday.

fury900
11-03-2005, 12:50 PM
Monahans

pirate4state
11-03-2005, 12:58 PM
:cheerl: GOOD LUCK RANGERS :cheerl:

WTF-82
11-03-2005, 03:14 PM
IF this is so about playoff games next friday that is terrible give the game a chance to have a playoff atmosphere

WitchyWoman
11-03-2005, 04:03 PM
:confused: Hmmmm watcha talkin 'bout :confused: :confused:

lobo12
11-03-2005, 04:06 PM
thats when the game is, but i think it will still have a playoff atmosphere

WTF-82
11-03-2005, 05:37 PM
IF SNYDER 5:30 KICKOFF FRIDAY AT GRANDE MAYBE LATER IF THE
SWEETWATER AND GREENWOOD IN SAN ANGELO ON THURSDAY
FROM OWENS MONAHANS AD

LOBOES PLAYING WITHOUT STARTING CENTER AND STARTING OFFENSIVE TACKLE ON THE LINE FOR THE GREENWOOD GAME

WitchyWoman
11-03-2005, 05:39 PM
IF SNYDER 5:30 KICKOFF FRIDAY AT GRANDE MAYBE LATER IF THE
SWEETWATER AND GREENWOOD IN SAN ANGELO ON THURSDAY
FROM OWENS MONAHANS AD

LOBOES PLAYING WITHOUT STARTING CENTER AND STARTING OFFENSIVE TACKLE ON THE LINE FOR THE GREENWOOD GAME

:confused: Ok start over cause I'm confused....... what's this???

WitchyWoman
11-03-2005, 05:41 PM
Because from what I'm understanding here in Tigerland both games will be played @ Grande Stadium on Friday.

5:30 Snyder vs whoever

8:00 Sweetwater vs whoever

Ranger Mom
11-03-2005, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by WitchyWoman
Because from what I'm understanding here in Tigerland both games will be played @ Grande Stadium on Friday.

5:30 Snyder vs whoever

8:00 Sweetwater vs whoever

My daughter came home from the game tonight...she said she was told Thursday in San Angelo also!!

Ranger05
11-03-2005, 11:10 PM
Thursday what the heck???

DukeNukem
11-04-2005, 10:42 AM
My daughter came home from the game tonight...she said she was told Thursday in San Angelo also!!

i here sweetwater does not want any part of greenwood at grande. they want to play in san angelo. apparently that swagger of 4-3a is starting to diminish. why don't greenwood and sweetwater just flip home and home.

keenoace
11-04-2005, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by DukeNukem
i here sweetwater does not want any part of greenwood at grande. they want to play in san angelo. apparently that swagger of 4-3a is starting to diminish. why don't greenwood and sweetwater just flip home and home.

I dont think Greenwood wants to go back to the Pony Bowl.

Bubba-Joe says tiggers so i say ponies.

Ranger Mom
11-04-2005, 04:51 PM
I'm off to start packing the "paraphanalia" for the game. I hope everyone has a safe trip tonight and NO injuries!!

Oh yeah, one more thing!!!

GO RANGERS!!!!

WitchyWoman
11-04-2005, 05:05 PM
I'm off to start packing the "paraphanalia" for the game. I hope everyone has a safe trip tonight and NO injuries!!

Oh yeah, one more thing!!!

GO RANGERS!!!!

Good luck RM don't forget to text me the scores ok? Hope your game is injury free.

GGGGGOOOOOOOOO RRRRRAAAANNNNNGGGGEEEERRRSSSS
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mustangpride09
11-04-2005, 07:24 PM
looking forward to seeing greenwood in the playoffs and signing that state bound flag

Mustangpride09
11-04-2005, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by keenoace
I dont think Greenwood wants to go back to the Pony Bowl.

Bubba-Joe says tiggers so i say ponies.

well those "ponies" put yall in your place, eh?

lobo12
11-04-2005, 08:59 PM
monahans 20 greenwood 0...1st quarter