PDA

View Full Version : Wylie radio announcers

3afan
10-29-2005, 10:52 AM
I have listend to many, many HS radio crews ... some very good, some really, really bad. About the worst i have listened to is the Copperas Cove crew - one of the best might be, hate to say it, Highland Park a few years back. i cant stand homer announcers but at the HS level they all are - so be it.

i listened to the Abilene Wylie crew last night - while it worked. they were OK, they get a B- from me. The play by play guy was pretty good, he actually described what he was seeing on the field. not all play by play guys do that. he gets an A-. The color guy, or analyst, or sidekick, whatever you want to call him, was typical of a bad one. he constantly cheered the team while the play by play guy was doing his job, often screamed into the mike, and was way too emotional. but, he did seem to know his stuff and did seem to understand the game. he gets a C-, hence the B- grade overall. for HS thats way above average.

now before you Wylie folks rip me a new one, i'm not criticizing or anything, just giving my opinion. its great that the school has their games broadcasted, wish more did. it was fun listening while it lasted.

injuredinmelee
10-29-2005, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
I have listend to many, many HS radio crews ... some very good, some really, really bad. About the worst i have listened to is the Copperas Cove crew - one of the best might be, hate to say it, Highland Park a few years back. i cant stand homer announcers but at the HS level they all are - so be it.

i listened to the Abilene Wylie crew last night - while it worked. they were OK, they get a B- from me. The play by play guy was pretty good, he actually described what he was seeing on the field. not all play by play guys do that. he gets an A-. The color guy, or analyst, or sidekick, whatever you want to call him, was typical of a bad one. he constantly cheered the team while the play by play guy was doing his job, often screamed into the mike, and was way too emotional. but, he did seem to know his stuff and did seem to understand the game. he gets a C-, hence the B- grade overall. for HS thats way above average.

now before you Wylie folks rip me a new one, i'm not criticizing or anything, just giving my opinion. its great that the school has their games broadcasted, wish more did. it was fun listening while it lasted.

They are both my boys...

Stownhorse
10-29-2005, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
They are both my boys...

If you ask me they are one-sided. Good announcers dont cheer on their team then get pissed when their team is doing bad. The Radio Station that covers A-Wylie can be picked up in Snyder too....

3afan
10-29-2005, 03:14 PM
yes, but thats how 99% of HS announcers are if you listen to the home town guys ... just have to fight thru it

injuredinmelee
10-29-2005, 04:37 PM
Try and pick up a Graham broadcast sometime. Thats some funny stuff.

SwtwtrMstngs04
10-29-2005, 05:30 PM
at no time during that game last night did Trace Michaels (the good one according to 3afan) act mad about Wylie losing he was saying how it was a clean win.

Adidas410s
10-29-2005, 07:21 PM
yeah Trace isn't from Wylie (at least I dont think he is). But the color guy has ALWAYS been a huge homer. There is a post on here from last year somewhere when I told everybody what he was saying during the Vernon homecoming halftime last year. It is pretty funn but he gets A LOT of facts wrong. Typical of most parents/high school football followers...think they know it all but when they don't they just come up with something that makes it sound like they know what they are talking about...

Whsdogs
10-29-2005, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
yeah Trace isn't from Wylie (at least I dont think he is). But the color guy has ALWAYS been a huge homer. There is a post on here from last year somewhere when I told everybody what he was saying during the Vernon homecoming halftime last year. It is pretty funn but he gets A LOT of facts wrong. Typical of most parents/high school football followers...think they know it all but when they don't they just come up with something that makes it sound like they know what they are talking about...

can u give me some examples of how he doesnt know his stuff?? i think he knows alot more wylie football than u could imagine...trust me..and if u listen its wylie football radio not espn news who dont give a rip who wins just as long as theres a story or a show for the other team to listen to who dont give a rip who wins just as long as theres a story. If anyone really listens the whole time the "color" guy, whatever that means, will say hey im a wylie fan so get over it.

3afan
10-29-2005, 09:20 PM
huh? :confused:

Adidas410s
10-29-2005, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Whsdogs
can u give me some examples of how he doesnt know his stuff?? i think he knows alot more wylie football than u could imagine...trust me..and if u listen its wylie football radio not espn news who dont give a rip who wins just as long as theres a story or a show for the other team to listen to who dont give a rip who wins just as long as theres a story. If anyone really listens the whole time the "color" guy, whatever that means, will say hey im a wylie fan so get over it.

Oh I am not saying that I don't enjoy listening to it. Just listen to a broadcast and he alwys throws out facts and figures that are way off and Trace is just like "hmm...I didn't know that Bill." It doesn't have to be about Wylie necessarily...just many things football related. Take a listen some time and you will notice. I dont have any particular examples to give because there are some every Friday night...

44INAROW
10-29-2005, 09:46 PM
3aFan

If you ever get a chance to listen to the Gobblers on 104.7, please do. Roy Johnson (aka Granpa) and Joe Adams (who is a local auctioneer and has a great voice) do a nice job and keep the listeners entertained for sure. Probably alot of homerisms included in the ad libbing going on too :)

eagles_victory
10-29-2005, 11:17 PM
I remember one time when after a girls basketball playoff game our homer commentators got so mad about the refs. The color man went crazy about how we got cheated in the game and told UIL his email address and said if you have a problem about what I am saying email me. It was quite schocking to listen to.

3afan
10-30-2005, 05:14 AM
I listened to Cove & Temple last week, one of the yardbirds kept coughing into the mike ... all game ... drove me nuts

sorry you Ags, but another thid I hate - and the aTm play by play guy is the worst - is using nicknames. i listened to aTm & Texas basketball game and I had no idea who the aTm players were because he used nicknames the entire game. ugh.

also don't like when the announcer just uses first names ... the Wylie guy was guilty of that, as were the Cove guys. But they probably all are so once again, you just have to fight thru it.

BUT, I am not complaining. I was in Australia for Forney's 2002 playoff run and if it were not for the miracle of the streaminng broadcast on the internet I dont know what I would have done. same for this year with me being in VA (except for Thanksgiving weekend) - I'll be listening online ALOT.

GreenMonster
10-30-2005, 06:49 AM
Can't be any worse than our play by play guy. The color guy is pretty decent. Knows his stuff.

injuredinmelee
10-30-2005, 08:04 AM
what radio station carries the IP games?

GreenMonster
10-30-2005, 10:37 AM
103 the Bear. They suck though and don't webcast.