PDA

View Full Version : Greenwood/Ballinger postponed until tomorrow!

Ranger Mom
08-29-2003, 11:09 PM
After a 3 hour rain delay, the game was postponed. They let the guys come out, did the coin toss and just as Dawson was lining up to kick to Ballinger they sent the boys back to the locker room and delayed it another 30 minutes.

Evidently the stadium has some kind of system in place that sounds a siren when lightening strikes too close. That was what happened at kick-off.

The game will be played tomorrow night at 6:00 PM in Greenwood.

I bet this has put a dent into a bunch of people's long weekend plans!!

<small>[ August 30, 2003, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: Ranger Mom ]</small>

sinton66
08-29-2003, 11:12 PM
Must have been a number of storms about, yall weren't the only ones postponed.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
08-29-2003, 11:15 PM
Look up weather.com

The entire west texas/panhandle region is lit up with storms.

Ranger Mom
08-29-2003, 11:23 PM
I DO have to commend the Ballinger Band. When it started raining after the final rain delay, the Ranger Band tucked their tails and ran to the bus.

The Ballinger band kept the crowd - ON BOTH SIDES - entertained with their "catchy tunes".

sinton66
08-29-2003, 11:24 PM
With lightrning in the area. I'm glad I wasn't one of the tuba players! eek!

vet93
08-30-2003, 08:41 AM
Man...What a bummer...I got in at 2am this morning from Midland. Had they gone ahead and started the game we wouldn't have gotten in to Ballinger until about 4am. We had big plans to meet with Rangermom at halftime but spent most of the time trying to keep the three kids dry and out of mud puddles. The baby (11 months) was not very impressed with her first attempt at a football game. Something about thunder rattling the fillings in your teeth that didn't set well with her! However...in West Texas we never cuss rain and their were some areas between Garden city and Sterling city that sure did need the drenching. The reason that everything was delayed was not the rain but the lightening. UIL rules stipulate that you have to wait 30 minutes after the last lightening strike that is within 3-5 miles of the stadium before you can start the game. The officials have a lightening meter to help figure out how far the lightening is away from the stadium. Everytime we would get close to the game starting we would get another close lightening strike that would reset the 30 minute countdown. Both teams really needed to play (especially Greenwood because they already have a cancellation with Presidio). The only negatives that I see to playing the game this afternoon is that alot of people (including our band) won't be able to make the trip and I worry about the fatigue factor of making the trip back to Greenwood for the team (Sweetwater is facing the same situation by having to travel back to Vernon). I guess this will test the character of our team to see if they can remain focused despite the travel. I forgot the biggest negative of all...I won't be able to make the return trip :confused:

sinton66
08-30-2003, 09:27 AM
Boy Vet93, you really missed out on two counts. You missed meeting a very classy lady and have to miss the game too. Bummer!

pirate4state
08-30-2003, 09:44 AM
Good Luck today Rangers!!

Ranger Mom
08-30-2003, 10:52 AM
Thanks!!!

I am kinda worried about todays game too. We have a 60% chance of rain here this afternoon. If the storm is packing lightening, I guess Mother Nature will win this one!! I can't complain, we really need the rain, but if it starts around 10:00 PM, that would truly be wonderful!! :D

sinton66
08-30-2003, 11:05 AM
Yeah, you guys can't afford to wish away rain clouds out there. Hope it holds off for you!

(ONLY 8 MORE!!!!!)

<small>[ August 30, 2003, 11:05 AM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

vet93
08-30-2003, 11:09 AM
Ranger Mom...I don't know about you but the circumstances of the game were so weird last night with the weather that it kind of sucked the life out of the excitment of the game. When they were about to start the game at 9:30 it almost seemed anti-climactic. I don't think that I have ever experienced anything like last night as a fan. I hope both teams are focused and can get up for the game. I also worry about injuries playing on a sloppy field. It wouldn't surprise me if they didn't cancel the game. Especially if the conditions at the field in Greenwood are bad. My sister told me that it rained most of the night in Midland. What does you lawn look like? Is it pretty marshy?

Ranger Mom
08-30-2003, 11:15 AM
It could be quite a mess here. We put in our new field this summer, it is still trying to take hold. This rain water will do wonders for it, if it doesn't get too torn up tonight with it being so wet.
We have struggled with lack of water - ALL SUMMER, so the field is the only thing that was watered this summer.
We were finally able to acquire more water, and set a water tank this past week and dug ditches for the water lines to go to the fields sprinklers - only problem is, those ditches run right across the visitor entrance to the stands. The lines aren't hooked up nor are the ditches covered. I don't know if Ballinger will have to enter on the homeside or not.

<small>[ August 30, 2003, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: Ranger Mom ]</small>

Ranger Mom
08-30-2003, 11:31 AM
I just glanced out my window and noticed that the sun is shining!! :D :D

I think Midland got way more rain than we did here in Greenwood (which isn't unusual). I just checked my rain gauge and we got 1/2 inch.

My best friend is the person who took care of the field all summer. She said water runs off of the field really well, so she wasn't too worried about it. I think her biggest worry is the fact that we weren't planning on playing here this weekend, so the field hasn't been mowed, etc. She may be getting some overtime hours today!!

vet93
08-30-2003, 12:18 PM
Rangermom...tell her not to mow!! Tall grass is supposed to slow down fast teams and if I remember right from last year...Greenwood has ALOT of team speed wink In all seriousness it looks like this game is going to happen. Good luck to both teams.

Ranger Mom:
I just glanced out my window and noticed that the sun is shining!! :D :D

I think Midland got way more rain than we did here in Greenwood (which isn't unusual). I just checked my rain gauge and we got 1/2 inch.

My best friend is the person who took care of the field all summer. She said water runs off of the field really well, so she wasn't too worried about it. I think her biggest worry is the fact that we weren't planning on playing here this weekend, so the field hasn't been mowed, etc. She may be getting some overtime hours today!!

Ranger Mom
08-30-2003, 01:29 PM
My friend just showed up and told me when she left my house last night, she drove in front of the football field and Coach Purser flagged her down.

She said all the coaches were walking around on the field, lights blaring, rain coming down....and the sprinklers just watering the field as pretty as you please!!

None of them had a key to turn the sprinklers off!! LOL

She ran home and got her key and turned the sprinklers off!!

The sun is still shining here and everything seems to be drying out. Evidently there has been quite a few people working today on the field, so maybe we will be able to get this done tonight!!