PDA

View Full Version : CFL fan kicks 50-yard FG for $1M

3afan
10-28-2005, 10:31 AM
TORONTO - Brian Diesbourg has a million-dollar leg.

After missing field goal tries from 20, 30 and 40 yards, the 25-year-old mechanical engineer from Belle River connected from 50 yards at halftime of the Toronto-Hamilton CFL game Thursday night to win $1 million Canadian ($853,351 U.S.).

“It’s unbelievable,” said Diesbourg, a longtime soccer player who had never kicked a football before a practice session for the event. “When it left my foot I was hoping it went left because I just missed the first three to the right. On the last kick, I purposely kicked it to the left hoping it would even itself out and it did.”

Diesbourg was selected from nearly 200,000 online entries in a contest sponsored by Wendy’s. He attempted four kicks for a variety of prizes, including $1 million for a successful 50-yard try.

After missing wide right from 20, 30 and 40 yards, Diesbourg hit the ball true on the 50-yarder and it had just enough distance to get over the crossbar for the big money. He was mobbed by members of the Argos as they returned to the field.

He had a a 30-minute practice session Wednesday with Argos kicker Noel Prefontaine.

“For him to miss the first three and to come back and hit the last one is unbelievable.” Prefontaine said. “I think he’s going to get a trial (with a CFL team).

“Having had the opportunity to work with him he did show he had the leg strength. I think his soccer background really helped him. I thought he had a legitimate shot.”

Diesbourg will be paid $25,000 a year for 40 years.

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

park place 45
10-28-2005, 12:49 PM
That's amazing.

PlayaJBiehl20
10-28-2005, 01:06 PM
I saw that and they also said that they will pay it over the course of 40 years.

ro_tex_solja
10-28-2005, 01:10 PM
heck yeah he booted that crap...that was tight....maybe he will get signed...lol

Bearkat
10-28-2005, 01:10 PM
It was on ESPN this morning. The reporter, not sure which one, said this guy should try out for the Cowboys.

Buccaneer
10-28-2005, 05:44 PM
The Cowboys signed him today!